• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Zakalwe

Banned
So, the game peaked at 12.4k concurrent players at launch. That's not all that amazing by itself, but when you consider that Dragon Commander peaked at 2.3k it seems pretty good!

I think it's very good for a genre that is quite niche these days. It's going to be difficult for some to commit to a heavy text based game, especially one that doesn't hold hands with GPS guidance and overt explanations.

It certainly threw me at the start of the beta, little things like looking under pots for keys, but now I've embraced it I'm finding the discovery is a huge part of the charm.

Also the lack of advertising, this game was almost completely under my radar and I try to keep myself quite informed. For those who just go with what's on their news feeds or main pages of their frequented news sites, I'd imagine this will be almost invisible.

ZoddGutts

Also continues to stay at #1 top seller at Steam. Nothing really big will be release for awhile either so there's some breathing room for it to gain people's attention.

milena87

I started playing a bit last night (unfortunately I had to go out and played only for like 30 minutes).

I decided for a Ranger and a Witch. I spent at least 20 minutes looting every single thing in sight.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
As much as I want to start the game, I have to wait until my partner finds the time to play :( We're both excited :D

Tenck

Where's a good place to start leveling? I'm level 3 I believe, so not that high. Went towards west gate, and I'm seeing level 4 and 5 mobs. Not sure if that's where I should be heading.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
So, the game peaked at 12.4k concurrent players at launch. That's not all that amazing by itself, but when you consider that Dragon Commander peaked at 2.3k it seems pretty good!

It's currently higher. I am glad that the game is seeing such strong reception.

divinitystats5bsw7.png

I spent at least 20 minutes looting every single thing in sight.

This never stops. Ever.

Everyone barrel, crate, home, basket, etc will be barren by the time I finish.

Zakalwe

Banned
Hmm, so they didn't implement a respec did they?

It's part of this changelog, so I'd imagine it's in the retail release.

Not sure when you access it though.

Where's a good place to start leveling? I'm level 3 I believe, so not that high. Went towards west gate, and I'm seeing level 4 and 5 mobs. Not sure if that's where I should be heading.

To the north there are some level 3 mobs that you can take on earlier. Make sure to grab the companions from the town, too.

milena87

This never stops. Ever.

Everyone barrel, crate, home, basket, etc will be barren by the time I finish.

With every game I'm like: this time I'll only loot corpses and interesting chests. I don't need all this stuff.

And every single time I'm rummaging through even the most useless barrel. Those barrels are empty at least 75% of the time. I can't remember if I ever actually found more than a few coins in them.

Zakalwe

Banned
With every game I'm like: this time I'll only loot corpses and interesting chests. I don't need all this stuff.

And every single time I'm rummaging through even the most useless barrel. Those barrels are empty at least 75% of the time. I can't remember if I ever actually found more than a few coins in them.

Yeh, I just hope you don't notice how magic find gives the chance to snatch something better from each container you rummage thro...

Oops.

Arkeus

I currently think Speed is a bit OP as an attribute. In AP based games, the one consistently giving you AP almost always is.

Speed's not OP at all.

Basically, you need to have a very high STR for warriors, DEX for rogue, and INT for mages- not if or but. Those stats not only determine the damage done by their skills, but it also determine whether you can use the skills (you need 10 INT for level 2 skills, or else you have chances of failures, etc).

Not only that, but you /also/ get AP reduction on spells with high int (for every 5 Int, spells cast -1AP). Unsure if the same applies to STR.

So basically, while speed is a 'safe' secondary if you play non-hybrid, it's not a primary stat, and it's not even a secondary for a hybrid.

I /guess/ a rogue would benefit the most from high Speed/ High Dex, as he needs to hit a lot, and each AP means more with a dagger.

Sarcasm

Speed's not OP at all.

Basically, you need to have a very high STR for warriors, DEX for rogue, and INT for mages- not if or but. Those stats not only determine the damage done by their skills, but it also determine whether you can use the skills (you need 10 INT for level 2 skills, or else you have chances of failures, etc).

Not only that, but you /also/ get AP reduction on spells with high int (for every 5 Int, spells cast -1AP). Unsure if the same applies to STR.

So basically, while speed is a 'safe' secondary if you play non-hybrid, it's not a primary stat, and it's not even a secondary for a hybrid.

I /guess/ a rogue would benefit the most from high Speed/ High Dex, as he needs to hit a lot, and each AP means more with a dagger.

What is a Cleric..mage or warrior? =p

Moff

Is there anyway to rest and heal your entire party?

there is no resting option. you are supposed to eat and drink to regen hp after battles I guess. what else would all that food be for.
I loved doing that in gothic, cooking your stuff even regenerated more hp, it was fun and rewarding. did that all the time.

but honestly, for a whole party of 4 its a bit annoying, I just use healing spells.

syllogism

Speed's not OP at all.

This was true during the beta, but I think one of the beta patches nerfed this. I don't have time to test it right now, however.

Arkeus

there is no resting option. you are supposed to eat and drink to regen hp after battles I guess. what else would all that food be for.
I loved doing that in gothic, cooking your stuff even regenerated more hp, it was fun and rewarding. did that all the time.

There is a resting option: when you see a bed, go lie on it, and you regenerate HP faster.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Has anyone found out how to respec yet?

Kinda wished I put some points differently now that teleport doesn't bypass locked doors.

Just finished playing for 5 hours straight with a friend in co-op on our first playthroughs, and all I can say is this game is kind of brilliant.

Every time we thought of something wild to do in the game, we were able to do it. See that chest that seems blocked off to you by the environment? You can teleport it toward you and take the treasure at your leisure! You want to take the risk of stealing from others and potentially find some good gear? With the right party member placement and NPC distracting coordination, you can do just that completely undetected! The whole co-op pyramid teleportation item opens things up even more with the option to hold on to it or drop it in a specific location.

Another thing I love about how the multiplayer is designed is the dialogue. The co-op dialogue options are an idea evolved from what is similarly being used in Kentucky Route Zero but are implemented into a quest based format. Those dialogue choices that occur in certain scenarios are affected by base character attributes and the results affect traits based on each individual's choices. It's been really well-implemented so far, and continues to impress me.

This game is also pretty overwhelming having just started navigating locations outside of the town, which is super dense on its own. It's a similar overwhelming feeling that I got from Divinity: Dragon Commander about 10 hours in where the choices were becoming more and more varied with other variables popping up that could affect said choices. Original Sin is like it in that there is so much going on mechanically and the amount of player driven choice that it feels like it's giving me had washed over me very quickly. It's a feeling that I don't get from many games these days, and my lack of experience with cRPGs leaves me without a frame of reference, so I'm trying to soak it all in as much as possible. It also helps that having a co-op partner pushes you forward in a way where others may be too intimidated by the amount of stuff when playing by themselves.

This game is something else.

Durante

That's still less effective than speed though, and speed applies to non-spell actions and movement distance as well.

Moff

There is a resting option: when you see a bed, go lie on it, and you regenerate HP faster.

yes, right!
I think he meant a simple button that lets time pass by and your whole party will be regged, everywhere you want, thats not in the game.

to rest you need to do everything yourself, eat, drink, lie down in a bet, etc.

Sentenza

That's still less effective than speed though, and speed applies to non-spell actions and movement distance as well.
Well, sort of. You have to think that INT still gives you a significant boost in damage and to your chance to activate special effects.

RulkezX

So how much bigger is this than what you guys had in Alpha/Beta ? Anyone discovered retail only areas yet ?

Also don't know if it's worth playing when all but 2 of the companions are missing and a new save will be needed if they're ever patched in.

Sentenza

Is crafting something I'm gonna get tutorialized or am I not looking hard enough? Still in Cyseal.
Just read the books about it and spend a couple of points in crafting skills for the advanced recipes.
Still no idea of what can be achieved through crafting, though.
Will I be able to make magic weapons, for instance?
because so far I'm not even close to achieve anything like that. Just standard weapons that get better when I raise the skill.

NIN90

Just read the books about it and spend a couple of points in crafting skills for the advanced recipes.
Still no idea of what can be achieved through crafting, though.
Will I be able to make magic weapons, for instance?
because so far I'm not even close to achieve anything like that. Just standard weapons that get better when I raise the skill.

Yeah I read about a dozen books now but how do I initiate crafting? Is there some sort of crafting station I need to be at?

Sentenza

Yeah I read about a dozen books now but how do I initiate crafting? Is there some sort of crafting station I need to be at?
Well, the books explain that, too.
When they say you need a furnace or an anvil they are not kidding or mentioning them for flavour. You have to look out for them.
And yes, there is a place where you can find some of these tools in the starting city. It's near the abandoned house when you just enter the area the first time.

NIN90

Well, the books explain that, too.
When they say you need a furnace or an anvil they are not kidding or mentioning them for flavour. You have to look out for them.
And yes, there is a place when you find some of these tools in the starting city. It's near the abandoned house when you just enter the area the first time.

Thank you! That's all I needed to know.

Top Bottom