• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Moff

sooo, what is everyone's opinion about speed/pserception in combat?
speed gives more action points, perception gives more action points at the start of a combat.
how important is this? for each class?

I am asking because I just had a battle against same level enemies and they all could do 2 actions every round, and not low level actions, powerful casts. and I can usually only do 1 unless some leftover action points add up after a few rounds. should I dump some points in speed/perception?

I have a bad feeling about this, if it doesnt help those are valuable points missing in the main stat, and max level 20 is not really that much, especially since you cant even increase attributes every levelup.
main stat decreases AP cost of skills, too, but just putting points into the main stat feels a bit odd, too.

Arulan

I've been playing more or less since release, roughly 10 hours and have just made it to the city. I spent some time in the character creator though as usual. What I've played so far has me very impressed. My expectations for this game were set very high and so far it has met if not exceeded them. The execution of the humor has been pretty good so far, especially
Ishmashell
. The level of interaction and how it comes into play with the combat is amazing, and I know I've only just glimpsed at it.

There are some minor technical issues which are present but the ones I've encountered so far can be easily fixed.

It appears the manual conversations between your characters isn't very popular here. Perhaps I've only seen a few so far but I've enjoyed them thus far. I'm simply "role-playing" each character individually.

How is everyone allocating their attribute points for "Mage-like" characters?

Durante

stealing is way too easy
It's a spiritual sequel to Ultima 7 :p

sooo, what is everyone's opinion about speed/pserception in combat?
speed gives more action points, perception gives more action points at the start of a combat.
how important is this? for each class?
I currently think Speed is a bit OP as an attribute. In AP based games, the one consistently giving you AP almost always is.

Zakalwe

Banned
Also, the shopping system is a bit obtuse. You can't seem to initiate it by talking to the storekeeper and have to pickup an item to start bartering? It's a bit weird.

You a can trade with every single NPC by speaking to them and clicking on the red icon to the left of the dialogue window.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards this as well. Especially with the dialogue distraction.

I think it's really fun. In certain areas such as the barracks store room near the portal at the docks in Cyceal, there are multiple roaming guards that take a little working with a full party to allow you to steal. It's like a simple mini game, and something that a group of seasoned adventurers would be able to pull off lore wise.

Makes more sense to me than games that make it impossible to steal certain items in a room with only one NPC.

Kinda makes you just want to murder the entire town

One of he best parts of this game? That's a workable response.

With some experimentation you might be able to make your own!

Aside from crafting, the lady merchant upstairs at the inn sold me 10.

-

I can't emphasise this enough: for anyone new to this genre having difficulty finding things, don't jump on the forums to ask when you get stumped the first time, you really need to explore.

This game rewards you so much for exploration. Not only do you get Xp bonuses for entering certain areas, but there are hidden dungeons, basements with loot and secret rooms, NPCs with specific items to sell, potential party members just casually passing the time, and so on.

For each city, check the map and explore each building you see. Try combing items in your inventory that make sense (like the water and flour you get in the crate by the two drunk sentries), and just dig in to the sandbox.

Discovery really is a huge reward here.

-

I really don't understand anyone saying single player dual dialogues are awkward. I'm loving role playing both my characters, it feels refreshing to be able to guide them both and fine tune their relationship.

Instead of having fixed AI, I have two people who can have mood swings and make irrational responses because they're really people and not just set on a certain course.

-

The only parts that are bugging me so far:

The repeating NPC dialogues - this really needs a patch super quick. Breaks immersion quite effectively at times.

And the density of each town and my need to explore every single nook. This game is going to swallow my life.

And then the editor... God damn it, Larian.

I really don't understand anyone saying single player dual dialogues are awkward. I'm loving role playing both my characters, it feels refreshing to be able to guide them both and fine tune their relationship.

Instead of having fixed AI, I have two people who can have mood swings and make irrational responses because they're really people and not just set on a certain course.
I'm not sure how to roleplay two characters when there are two options. You can agree or disagree, that's not very interesting.

Moff

I currently think Speed is a bit OP as an attribute. In AP based games, the one consistently giving you AP almost always is.

hmm, have you experimenterd a bit with it? what makes you so sure its OP? I dont doubt it, I just want to plan ahead a bit.

i just read on the official board that constitution gives +AP, too. and speed only at the start of the battle? that contradicts with the tooltip, though. but that statement might be from the beta. and since main stat decreases AP points I might just as well stick with the main stat.
damn.

Durante

I've been playing more or less since release, roughly 10 hours and have just made it to the city. I spent some time in the character creator though as usual. What I've played so far has me very impressed. My expectation for this game were set very high and so far it has met if not exceeded them. The execution of the humor has been pretty good so far, especially
Ishmashell
. The level of interaction and how it comes into play with the combat is amazing, and I know I've only just glimpsed at it.
Same here - though 10 hours before reaching the city is very impressive even by my slow-gaming standards!

How is everyone allocating their attribute points for "Mage-like" characters?
I'm going with just int and speed so far, seems to be working out well enough.

I'm not sure how to roleplay two characters when there are two options. You can agree or disagree, that's not very interesting.
You agree or disagree on lots of different issues though.

Durante

hmm, have you experimenterd a bit with it? what makes you so sure its OP? I dont doubt it, I just want to plan ahead a bit.
Nothing makes me sure, otherwise I wouldn't be saying "I currently think" ;)

As for why I think that, it's because of previous experience with AP-based games. Basically, whatever gives you more AP, unless it's extremely expensive, usually has great utility throughout the game.

Moff

Just realized that game doesn't do that "quest maker here, run here, run this way"-thing and oh how I love it!

it does, if a map, journal or npc gives away the exact location. its extermely rare, thoug. in the first 10 hours I had that twice.

jb1234

My biggest complaint with the game so far. If they want us to roleplay both characters (which I find awkward), they could have at least given us more options.

Zakalwe

Banned

I would like some softer response options sometimes instead of "shut up/you're the best thing ever!", sure.

But you get to debate a lot of things, and each time you respond it sets a little of your personality.

For example: I've decided my knight will always do the right thing, unless he's talking about stealing to feed the poor (his family all died in poverty) and he'll argue outright to help the needy whatever the cost.

My ranger is a total heartless bitch with everyday things, but anything involving children will soften her heart and make her choose the noble option every time (her sister was slain by orcs when they were children).

I haven't decide on other traits yet, but I find it really fun imagining this stuff.

I can't wait to root around with the mod tools though, if we can expand on the dialogue options and add some diversity to the responses editing this game is going to be a lot of fun.

Ceebs

Just cleared out the lighthouse and that whole rainy area around it. I must say that archers are the devil in this game.

Fortify is an amazing spell btw.

Also has anyone figured out how to craft resurrect scrolls? Or are scrolls not craftable?

Tenck

Game is pure magic. The first town alone is crazy packed. So much to see, so much to do, so many people to talk to. I just left town from the west gate, and I'm at 8 hours or so into the game.

Also has anyone figured out how to craft resurrect scrolls? Or are scrolls not craftable?
There's paper in the
library
that let's you craft spells, but I'm not entirely sure how to do it since I'm just talking to people.

Edit: Not sure if that specif thing is random loot, but worth a try to check it out.

Zakalwe

Banned
Just cleared out the lighthouse and that whole rainy area around it. I must say that archers are the devil in this game.

Fortify is an amazing spell btw.

I've not tried it yet, but I found this

Arulan

i just read on the official board that constitution gives +AP, too. and speed only at the start of the battle? that contradicts with the tooltip, though. but that statement might be from the beta. and since main stat decreases AP points I might just as well stick with the main stat.
damn.

There are three different type of AP gains, raising the max AP, the AP you start with, and the AP you gain per turn.

Keep in mind these are rough estimations, and they may be completely wrong. I'm only including AP gains, these obviously grant other gains as well.

Constitution grants 1 MAX AP per point.

Speed grants 0.5 START AP, and 0.33 TURN AP per point.

Perception grants 0.5 START AP per point.

Durante

There are three different type of AP gains, raising the max AP, the AP you start with, and the AP you gain per turn.

Keep in mind these are rough estimations, and they may be completely wrong. I'm only including AP gains, these obviously grant other gains as well.

Thanks for the detailed information. Is this starting from 0 or from 5?

Moff

3 points in speed for another AP per turn? that seems very high.
you dont even get attributes every level, maybe you'll get tons of stats on later gear.

Durante

I don't think it's all that high, an AP per turn is a pretty huge deal. Especially in a system where unspent AP carry over.

Zakalwe

Banned
Thanks for working out the AP stuff guys, was going to look into it when I logged on after reading Durante's posts about speed stats (one less thing to worry about!).

Hopefully there will be a a decent amount of gear with varying stats to help with builds.

Moff

I don't think it's all that high, an AP per turn is a pretty huge deal. Especially in a system where unspent AP carry over.

yes, but the reasion I asked is because I had a battle yesterday where pretty much all enemies used 2 attacks per round, which seemed pretty odd to me, so 1 AP per round doesnt seem very high.
and since main stat seems to decrease AP cost, I think thats pretty valuable, too, much more than speed probably.

Decado

yes, but the reasion I asked is because I had a battle yesterday where pretty much all enemies used 2 attacks per round, which seemed pretty odd to me, so 1 AP per round doesnt seem very high.
and since main stat seems to decrease AP cost, I think thats pretty valuable, too, much more than speed probably.
Which main stat? I don't think that is the case for spells (int).

Also, speed impacts initiative and distance covered, both of which are handy.

Btw, still trying to see if there is any impact on int for summons. Anyone figured it out?

Sarcasm

Thanks for working out the AP stuff guys, was going to look into it when I logged on after reading Durante's posts about speed stats (one less thing to worry about!).

Hopefully there will be a a decent amount of gear with varying stats to help with builds.

Can you link?

Also can you put this in simpleton terms? lol

But to clarify spending stat points on Speed isn't a waste correct? Does this game have soft or hard caps on stats?

Anyone else experience a major graphical glitch when going to
Homestead
? I'm not using any additional graphical drivers or utilities outside of the game itself, I've tried tinkering with all of the in-game graphical settings, I verified the game cache, updated GPU drivers, and the same issue persists. For what it's worth, there's a similar kind of glitching on the title screen and nowhere else in the game that I've noticed.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/3282312366845784378/B91CB32F3819580F91B90114B032E823B0F84124/

Here's a direct link to what it ends up looking like for me. I've been able to find one other instance of this online, but with no resolution.

Noaloha

Which is the stat that determines starting order in battle? Speed (faster ones move first) or Perception (those who were paying attention move first)?

(Note also that Speed is the stat which is used when calculating Evasion!)

Zakalwe

Banned
Can you link?

Also can you put this in simpleton terms? lol

But to clarify spending stat points on Speed isn't a waste correct? Does this game have soft or hard caps on stats?

Did you meant to quote me? Durante simply mentioned speed modifies AP, I hadn't looked into stats yet as I'd been too busy rooting around in NPCs belongings.

See Arulan's post above for which stats have an effect on AP.

Soft cap on stats and level due to the amount of XP you can earn in game. I think it's: level 20, 40 stat points (ish), and 11 talent points.

Decado

Soft cap on stats and level due to the amount of XP you can earn in game. I think it's: level 20, 40 stat points (ish), and 11 talent points.
You get 1 attribute point on even levels and talents every three. Skill points are more frequent.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I really wish I could be at home right now, playing this game. I bought it and installed it yesterday, but apart from creating my characters and saving within the first 30 seconds, I couldn't do anything else :(

Alas, I have work to do...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
After playing for 6 hours with my Knight and Enchanter and Kinght and Enchanter party, I just couldn't take it any more.

Restarted by rolling a ranger and a witch. Now I'm loving the game.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Right. So I own two copies of this on two different Steam accounts. I also have it installed on a 3rd computer under one of those accounts.

How do I set it so my wife and I can play? Does she need to log in on her account, with her copy of the game? Do we need to be on the same Steam account?

Does anybody know?

Rootbeer

Banned
Was this game discounted during the Summer Steam sale? if so I definitely looked it over...

Wonder how this holds up to BG and BG2.

Also: No night time? Well that sucks o_O

Zakalwe

Banned
Right. So I own two copies of this on two different Steam accounts. I also have it installed on a 3rd computer under one of those accounts.

How do I set it so my wife and I can play? Does she need to log in on her account, with her copy of the game? Do we need to be on the same Steam account?

Does anybody know?

Erm, you need two copies of the game on separate steam accounts. That's it.

(host make sure to set your game to either public, friends, or invite from the multiplayer menu)
(joining player choose join from the main menu and look for hosts game)

You can join at the character creation screen so you both get to create your own character at the same time.

Make sure to check the customise options for both skills and aesthetics.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Erm, you need two copies of the game on separate steam accounts. That's it.

(host make sure to set your game to either public, friends, or invite from the multiplayer menu)
(joining player choose join from the main menu and look for hosts game)

You can join at the character creation screen so you both get to create your own character at the same time.

Make sure to check the customise options for both skills and aesthetics.

Sweet, thanks.

I am going to feel very silly but how do you combine items? Dragging doesn't seem to work. Talking about basic stuff like making juice out of an orange and a glass.

Edit: Got it work work, weird. Before it was just switching the spots.

Vlodril

Tempted by the game. How are the writting and music so far?

Both are really strong points. I was playing with a friend last night and we were both blown away by some of the writing and music. Can be pretty funny at times as well. Good stuff. If only i could find where the hell steam puts the soundtrack.

Zakalwe

Banned
I am going to feel very silly but how do you combine items? Dragging doesn't seem to work. Talking about basic stuff like making juice out of an orange and a glass.

It does work, you just need to ow the correct recipes.

Simple ones to try:

Flour + Water
Arrowhead + shaft (lol, shaft)

Then read books and experiment.

Spookie

That's exactly how it works. But the game doesn't give you any feedback if something doesn't work other than you're too low to do this. It's kinda annoying really. A notepad in game to list recipies would be nice. I'm struggling to workout how to make weapons.

Zakalwe

Banned
The importance of reading each conversation properly...

Speaking to Mr Cat Wizard, you get the option to discuss a certain experiment of his.
If you do he gives you a control device you can use during a specific quest, however, the device requires an instruction manual to make sense of it,
which Mr Cat Wizard offers
you to take if you can find it amongst his possessions.

Firs time I skimmed that part and didn't take it, this time I did and reading it I don't think I would have been able to use the device if I hadn't.

So yeh, read everything properly!

RulkezX

Wasn't feeling a Shadowblade last night , but I hate playing content over and over again so I'll persevere for now.

Any tips on the class ?

Durante

So, the game peaked at 12.4k concurrent players at launch. That's not all that amazing by itself, but when you consider that Dragon Commander peaked at 2.3k it seems pretty good!

Top Bottom