• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Leezard

So basically, you should go for 6 or 9 speed.
When I leveled speed from 6 to 7, I went from 6 AP per turn to 7 per turn. It's easy to see this difference if you equip an item with speed +1. On the other hand, there was no difference when I leveled speed from 5 to 6. Perhaps the break point is at 7 and 10, that is, it starts from 1?

Durante

When I leveled speed from 6 to 7, I went from 6 AP per turn to 7 per turn. It's easy to see this difference if you equip an item with speed +1. On the other hand, there was no difference when I leveled speed from 5 to 6. Perhaps the break point is at 7 and 10, that is, it starts from 1?
Interesting. I'll have to test this out myself.

Kvik

It's funny, back in the beta I could've sworn the right click menu in inventory has always shown as icons, now they are in text only?

Does anybody know how to switch it back to icon mode?

Leezard

Now, I only looked at the stat on the character sheet, I did not explicitly check it in combat. I have leadership rank 2 on my team, but IIRC it does not affect AP per turn.

Sentenza

It's funny, back in the beta I could've sworn the right click menu in inventory has always shown as icons, now they are in text only?

Does anybody know how to switch it back to icon mode?
There is an option about it.
It's called radial menu or something like that.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Think I'm just going to drop this to Easy, got that annoying difficulty of just throwing loads of enemies at you.

Aeana

My biggest pet peeve so far is definitely the ambient NPC voices repeating endlessly when you're in dialogue with someone. Otherwise I'm having a blast.

This is SO ANNOYING, it is actually really legitimately ruining the game for me. I took care of the burning ship on the dock, and then those two sailors repeated their crap over and over and over and over and over and over again while I talked to everyone on the dock. Then I went for that chest on the other side of the rope, used my ranger's evasive jump ability and since it has a lengthy cooldown, I had to stand there and wait for it while those jerks continued to repeat their dialog. I actually closed the game as soon as I got back on the other side of the rope. It really got to me.

Noaloha

Think I'm just going to drop this to Easy, got that annoying difficulty of just throwing loads of enemies at you.

I don't think the game is 'just throwing loads of enemies at you', like the level designer is sitting with his copy/paste tools and going "archer, another archer, another, another... there, now it's difficult".

The encounters all have a considered feel to them. They've felt like puzzles to solve, or hard-won slogs that you had to scrape through. That is to say, they've all felt engaging and challenging and, ultimately, rewarding ('rewarding' in a gameplay/fun sense, not in a sweet loot sense).

Bumping down to Easy is fine - the option is there to be used to serve the player's enjoyment - but If you're getting your shit wrecked on normal difficulty, you're also either in a position to reload and reconsider your combat strategies (enjoyable for some players, not for others I guess) or you're simply in an area that's too high a level for you (quite possible, especially leaving Cyseal early on before you get a feel for what your party can take on).

sueil

My 2 main characters are a wizard with geomancy, pyromancy and witchcraft and he is my secondary damage dealer and does a lot of terrain stuff; and a enchanter who is my face, looter, identifier and focuses on air and water magic. The enchanter has some some good damage spells as well as healer and some battlefield control stuff like teleport and rain. I decided to give glass cannon to both of them. They are getting 12, and 14 AP per turn respectively even if they have zero ap left over. This has let me damage ability skyrocket pretty hard although I am finding my wizard has a lack of good damage spells to use multiple of in a turn. I prefer to keep them both safe in the back lines and with a lot of stuff immune to poison in this part of the game he is often forced to use just the basic magus attack.

I'm also rolling with an archer henchmen who is my nasty deeds guy and a fighter who is kinda useless but has a ton of xp to soak up damage with. I thought about replacing him but already sunk a lot of xp into him and xp is limited since enemies never respawn. I have a ton of money so maybe pickup a new higher level henchman.

This is one of the best games in years. Any platform, any genre.

Aeana

The voices will be fixed in the upcoming patch, turn them down for the moment if they're too annoying.

Thanks. Is that coming relatively soon?

Also, I just noticed global chat is working today. Pretty cool; I hope it doesn't get annoying like general chat in MMOs, though.

JambiBum

I don't think the game is 'just throwing loads of enemies at you', like the level designer is sitting with his copy/paste tools and going "archer, another archer, another, another... there, now it's difficult".

The encounters all have a considered feel to them. They've felt like puzzles to solve, or hard-won slogs that you had to scrape through. That is to say, they've all felt engaging and challenging and, ultimately, rewarding ('rewarding' in a gameplay/fun sense, not in a sweet loot sense).

Bumping down to Easy is fine - the option is there to be used to serve the player's enjoyment - but If you're getting your shit wrecked on normal difficulty, you're also either in a position to reload and reconsider your combat strategies (enjoyable for some players, not for others I guess) or you're simply in an area that's too high a level for you (quite possible, especially leaving Cyseal early on before you get a feel for what your party can take on).

This is how I feel about the combat. My partner and I were getting wrecked by some earlier battles because we were just going at them head on and not treating them differently than most RPG battles. We rethought our tactics and we now do a lot better/have more fun. It's also a lot more rewarding that way. We're playing on Hard as well.

epmode

GAF, how many attribute points can I expect per level up? All of this talk about Speed has me wanting to use a few points but it's hard to make an informed decision without knowing attribute caps and the total number of attribute points we'd have at level ~20.

Moff

GAF, how many attribute points can I expect per level up? All of this talk about Speed has me wanting to use a few points but it's hard to make an informed decision without knowing attribute caps and the total number of attribute points we'd have at level ~20.

I read somewhere you get attribute points every other level.
that doesnt necessarily mean you will get only 10 the whole game, maybe you get more than 1 at higher levels, just like you get 2 skill points.

Aeana

I think what I'm most pleasantly surprised by in the game so far is the music. It's really great.

Also, erm... I turned the voices to 0 but I can still hear their echoes or something in the background.

epmode

I think what I'm most pleasantly surprised by in the game so far is the music. It's really great.

Also, erm... I turned the voices to 0 but I can still hear their echoes or something in the background.

Is that what that was? I thought my music was bugged out yesterday. Screwy reverb or something.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

Also, I just noticed global chat is working today. Pretty cool; I hope it doesn't get annoying like general chat in MMOs, though.

My experience in the Beta was that global chat was used to ask for help finding something (source of lockpicks, etc), advice on how to finish a quest, or people talking about builds. I'm not familiar enough with MMOs to ascertain how close the chat content is between the two.

Corto

THEY ARE INSIDE OUR HEAD ALREADY!

LogicStep

I found my first companion last night in town. This game is so full of personality. I'm loving it. My characters leveled up and I don't have much of a clue on what I want to do with skill points and such.

misho8723

Banned
Ok, game so far is great (even though the optimalization could have been better and that repeating VO is fucking annyoing) but could i ask something?.. how can i cook something? :)..and when i can't reach something, how can i solve this problem ?

Zakalwe

Banned
Ok, game so far is great (even though the optimalization could have been better and that repeating VO is fucking annyoing) but could i ask something?.. how can i cook something? :)..and when i can't reach something, how can i solve this problem ?

Here are some cooking combinations if you want to spoil them. :p

To reach items, perhaps you could move something out of your way...

Arkeus

You can get better reach with Telekinesis, you can try to move things out of your way, or you can use the various teleportation skills to nab things.

Respect

I was happy to see it working...and first line I read:

"Fuck YOU!"

.../sigh.../hide chat

Noaloha

Oh now it tells me I am not connected to global server..wonder why?

I don't think that's a toggles/options thing or a firewall permissions thing. More likely it's just a server-side load problem/spike that will remedy itself. I'd wait a while and see if the issue persists before treating as a thing on your end.

Respect

Yeah, the in game dialogue with the NPC's repeating the same lines over and over again got really annoying quickly...I might have to turn down the voices, which is sad, I like hearing the banter between the 2 pc's.

Zeliard

The music is wonderful, yeah.

I also really like the voice acting, outside of the current looping problem, especially on the protags. I use the Wizard voice with my gruff male Wizard and the Warrior voice on my female Ranger (she isn't a Warrior but I liked how that one sounded).

Also, while I think the current mechanic for the cooperative dialogue in single-player isn't ideal, I am kind of having unexpected fun role-playing it a bit. I made my Wizard a super uncharismatic, unlikeable, highly pragmatic asshole who thinks the ends always justify the means (he also has that one starting Wizard "talent" that basically makes everyone he meets immediately hate him). The Ranger is effectively the opposite of him in every way. It is pretty silly since you're basically arguing with yourself as a player, but their argumentative banter can be amusing.

erragal

As someone that has no issues turning music completely off I'm astounded at the soundtrack. Everything fits the appropriate mood/surroundings without trying to overpower me with catchy hooks.

Of course the best part for me is having to play RPS with my longtime close friend; the tension/metagaming is hilarious. And even more worthwhile when we end the night with his victory getting us blown up.

Fun level is off the charts and enemies on hard pull no punches.

I made my Wizard a super uncharismatic, unlikeable, highly pragmatic asshole who thinks the ends always justify the means. The Ranger is effectively the opposite of him in every way. It is pretty silly since you're basically arguing with yourself as a player, but their argumentative banter can be amusing.

It's kinda like having a Barbie in one hand and a Ken in the other, arguing off each other :p

Tenck

Oh now it tells me I am not connected to global server..wonder why?

Just checked and it looks like global chat is actually busted. Kept trying to write messages but it wouldn't register anything. Worked just fine during Beta, so this is odd.

Chaos17

After replaying the beginning a second time, I can say there is something I dislike... the roleplaying.

First, playthrough: I played the nice guy, who doesn't kill or steal anybody. So I didn't have much money or equipment. I fought at level 2 or 3 the skeletons (yes, even after 4 hours spend in that town, lol). The game was for me between normal and hard difficulty.

Second playthrough: I decided to do the contrary of my first playthrough, just to try things and to my disappointment there is no penalties to be a bad guy. The game even encourages to steal because you gain experience to discover what're behind doors. You can destroy chests, the content won't be damaged. You can fireball a door for 10 mins, no NPC will stop you. Thief or lockpicking is useless for me at this point of the game. You can also reload your save to get better loot if you're not happy. You can kill people without your companions reacting. Stealing items helped me in my quests too.

I can confirm that my second playthrough has been more rewarding for my characters than my first pplaythrough because of all these free loots which gave me better equipments, for example. What's the problem ? There are not enough quests for rewards good players. Good players can get between 1K or 3K gold, but bad players get instead 10K gold with no penalties at all to steal all the homes of the village.

So, the roleplaying side of this game is not good at all (or is dead for me at the moment)
We are supposed to be the heroes who come to investigate a murder, but ultimately we can become ourselves murderers and thieves that the game will never care. Instead, it will give you bonus! Be a good guy, just make your life harder in this game. Mmorpg are usually bad example, but here their quest system would've not hurt to help out good players. No, playing this game as a good person is just for mental sake to know that you've been a good boy but not a hereo.

I still love the gameplay/combat system, though.

Durante

The music is wonderful, yeah.

I also really like the voice acting, outside of the current looping problem, especially on the protags. I use the Wizard voice with my gruff male Wizard and the Warrior voice on my female Ranger (she isn't a Warrior but I liked how that one sounded).

Also, while I think the current mechanic for the cooperative dialogue in single-player isn't ideal, I am kind of having unexpected fun role-playing it a bit. I made my Wizard a super uncharismatic, unlikeable, highly pragmatic asshole who thinks the ends always justify the means (he also has that one starting Wizard "talent" that basically makes everyone he meets immediately hate him). The Ranger is effectively the opposite of him in every way. It is pretty silly since you're basically arguing with yourself as a player, but their argumentative banter can be amusing.
The voices are really good, the problem is just the frequency of the background "chatter" and that it's not interrupted by other actions.

By the way, the manual is now up!

I've been wandering around the city for hours now, picking up quests, talking to people, can't remember the last time I fought something! I'm getting itchy stabbby fingers.

I did just get transported to a pocket plane and met the Weaver of time though!

Tenck

God damn it, just encountered some level 4 skeletons with three archers and a mage backing them up (up north from the
abandoned house with two dead legionners
).

The difficulty ramps up pretty hard when you've got archers aiming at you!

Top Bottom