• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

TommyT

Fun reading all these posts. Backed the game at a physical tier level but haven't been able to play anything since the recent birth... one day!

Zukuu

Banned
I don't think it's a matter of one person, more so a matter of a dozen or more people (though even a couple people dead should start some rumors). You'd think the city would start investigating the murders and family members of the dead people would notice the murders and start hunting for answers.
Seems like a case for CSI:Cysea.

"I better find...
giphy.gif

... the source of it."

Brohan

Get the game. If you really want it and it is the price you can get the game for 10 TF2 keys. (around 22 bucks).

That is my review.

How does this work? I was just about to buy the game on steam for 40 euro but if i can get it by only spending 22 euro that would be pretty damn sweet.

I rarely use steam so i don't really know how stuff like this works.

Durante

I agree with your stance, it would be more fun if the game's world had its own will to survive, and if you became an evil force and threat to society that the game's world would send other heroes out to kill you etc. Would be cool element where you could get a reputation that people just run away when they see you etc/ and as you continue to kill off the bounty hunters / heroes you make alliances with other evil leaders who are looking to kill you off the second it benefits them too, all the while more and more people are trying to kill you and restore safety to their world. At least in a sandbox type game, that sort of reactivity seems desirable to me. More so than a few guards sprinkling in.
I agree in principle. The game you imagine would take roughly 20 years to develop though. I'm already amazed that they managed to make Divinity:OS in 4 years with a small team. It has more varied player agency (and therefore cases to test) than anything I remember playing in the past decade.

And I'm a programmer, so I'm prone to underestimating timeframes :p

I'm waiting to know if it's decent enough I'll wait for more opinions. Nothing silly about that.
Waiting for opinions is fine. Waiting for opinions on a game like this from Metacritic is silly.

Again, I don't know the full history of the series, but the introduction sets up the Source Hunter goal as putting down rogue magic users, not
maintaining the integrity of the very fabric of the universe. Even the imp tells you this is a job for the "chosen ones" rather than your run-of-the-mill Source Hunter. It just seems a slightly contrived way to raise the stakes early.

I fully agree. I think the writing is pretty mediocre, to put it mildly, but practically everything else is superb, and what I'd hope from a modern cRPG.

Zukuu

Banned
Again, I don't know the full history of the series, but the introduction sets up the Source Hunter goal as putting down rogue magic users, not
maintaining the integrity of the very fabric of the universe. Even the imp tells you this is a job for the "chosen ones" rather than your run-of-the-mill Source Hunter. It just seems a slightly contrived way to raise the stakes early.
The "magic" that was once used for healing and miracles, is now destructive in nature and can only bring harm and destruction. The source hunters are there to investigate it, suppress source leaks in forms of undeads etc
So maybe the source IS or was caused by the time eating rift?
I know where you're coming from, but it's not like in your every jrpg where you are just a city boy, born and raised in south detroit, trying to visit your grandmother and then get thrown into saving the world.

Chaos17

I agree in principle. The game you imagine would take roughly 20 years to develop though. I'm already amazed that they managed to make Divinity:OS in 4 years with a small team. It has more varied player agency (and therefore cases to test) than anything I remember playing in the past decade.

And I'm a programmer, so I'm prone to underestimating timeframes :p.
I don't know how long Fallout 1 was done but you could really play evil or good guy and decide the fate of the cities you encounter.
Anyway, I agree that Larian studio didn't had a lot of time to work on this game so I won't pout a 4/5 notes just because the RP side as flaws because the writing is pretty solid (talking about the dialogs) even though some banters need more choices sometimes. But, I never said it was bad game at all. Just a side of it I dislike.

BTW, I thought the kickstarter video showed you going to jail or being able to bribe the guards, but now the guards immediately go into fight mode.

Probably, that isn't implemented yet or did they cut it ou like the night and day cycle?
Because I like these options.

This I find dumb. I hate the TES model because there is no reason a merchant in Solitude should know I stole some freaking longsword from Whiterun, but that person I stole from should know their own shit when I try and sell it back to them.

I wish RPG games would create some kind of intelligent system so that if you steal a ring or item from someone in a town or city there is a probability of it being recognized when you try to sell it in that area, but once outside that town the further you go the chances of it being recognized are basically nonexistent.

You steal some famous rich dudes ruby ring people in the area are gonna recognize it, but skip across the continent and no one will know shit about that ring and will be happy to buy it. If you really want to get complicated the price and rarity of the item could also be a factor, they might not recognize the item as stolen, but for 4000 gold they might get the feeling it's hot and simply decline to buy and not call the guards. This is where your reputation and relationship with the merchant will help dissuade these fears.

Everything I'm reading about the theft system seems broken and OP, so I'm sticking by my choice to play through the game without stealing a thing. I guess we'll see how much harder that makes it for me....

ys45

Played all day yesterday with my friend had great fun .
I made a rogue and he made a cleric/warrior some fights can get tricky outside the village those damn
skeleton archer

After getting our ass kicked a few time, we decided to get the 2 companions the mage companions helped a lot .
I realize that magic is pretty important for combat (for us it made a huge difference)

RulkezX

I fully agree. I think the writing is pretty mediocre, to put it mildly, but practically everything else is superb, and what I'd hope from a modern cRPG.

I thought the writing was pretty bad in all honesty , but I didn't expect a great deal in the first place.

The music is excellent though.

Durante

I really don't think the writing is bad. Then again, I think the writing in modern Bioware games is mostly awful, and those are praised for the best storytelling ever, so maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about.

Played all day yesterday with my friend had great fun .
I made a rogue and he made a cleric/warrior some fights can get tricky outside the village those damn
skeleton archer

After getting our ass kicked a few time, we decided to get the 2 companions the mage companions helped a lot .
I realize that magic is pretty important for combat (for us it made a huge difference)
Everything that does crowd control is amazingly powerful in combat involving multiple enemies, particularly if they use melee attacks. And a lot of the skills for crowd control are magic (stunning, freezing, oil slicks, whatever).

Moff

I don't think it's a matter of one person, more so a matter of a dozen or more people (though even a couple people dead should start some rumors). You'd think the city would start investigating the murders and family members of the dead people would notice the murders and start hunting for answers.

heh, yeah that would be great. but I dont expect that in a kickstarted RPG that is quite complex already.
seriously I enjoy the mechanics behind, stealking, breaking in, killing in this game a lot.

I think the dialogue is actually enjoyable if you don't mind the light-hearted tone. We'll just have to see if the later story beats redeem the first one.

Respect

I'm waiting to know if it's decent enough I'll wait for more opinions. Nothing silly about that.

I doubt this game will get great reviews from the mainstream...it doesn't lend itself well to "rushing through to get a review up" type of game. I would wait for ones that at least take a few weeks to properly review and try to avoid the ones that appear rushed. Easier said than done I'm sure.

Decado

What's the big update for?

Also, I'm pretty sure you don't get -1 AP on spells per 5 points of INT. Certainly hasn't happened in my game. Speed seems like the only way to get more AP per round.

arkon

My Collector's Edition arrived today thanks to Based Larian. Pleasantly surprised by that. For some reason I wasn't expecting it to arrive for at least another week or so. Already have the game loaded up on Steam anyway. I'd also forgotten about the recipe cards that are included in it for crafting purposes.

I wish I'd taken the next week off :( Fucking work getting in the way of my gaming time.

Zakalwe

Banned
When I leveled speed from 6 to 7, I went from 6 AP per turn to 7 per turn. It's easy to see this difference if you equip an item with speed +1. On the other hand, there was no difference when I leveled speed from 5 to 6. Perhaps the break point is at 7 and 10, that is, it starts from 1?

Yeh, seems to be this. Just tried it and noticed I got the extra AP when increasing from 6 to 7 speed.

Chaos17

Yup, that's what I'm trying to say and we should not forget that we've been hired to investage 1 murder. 1 murder and guards are on it.
So, yes I found it pretty weird but like someone said above, some NPC reaction seems not have been implemented in the game yet, like brinbing guards.
Maybe this will be corrected in the futur.

Originally Posted by Enduin

This I find dumb. I hate the TES model because there is no reason a merchant in Solitude should know I stole some freaking longsword from Whiterun, but that person I stole from should know their own shit when I try and sell it back to them.

I wish RPG games would create some kind of intelligent system so that if you steal a ring or item from someone in a town or city there is a probability of it being recognized when you try to sell it in that area, but once outside that town the further you go the chances of it being recognized are basically nonexistent.

You steal some famous rich dudes ruby ring people in the area are gonna recognize it, but skip across the continent and no one will know shit about that ring and will be happy to buy it. If you really want to get complicated the price and rarity of the item could also be a factor, they might not recognize the item as stolen, but for 4000 gold they might get the feeling it's hot and simply decline to buy and not call the guards. This is where your reputation and relationship with the merchant will help dissuade these fears.
I think in Fallout and in Baldur gate you've a reputation system or at least some penalties so NPC react to you. Those old game had great RP back then.

erragal

I think the dialogue is actually enjoyable if you don't mind the light-hearted tone. We'll just have to see if the later story beats redeem the first one.

I feel like individuals not enjoying the writing aren't reading every document in detail. Evelyn's House has a wealth of detailed, compelling pieces of writing that really set the stage for an interesting narrative.

A lot of the dialogue is more lowbrow and absurdist than people expect from their fantasy games but it's also reflective of the class of people you're interacting with. It makes sense that these people talk so casually...because on the whole none of them are highly educated.

Durante

I don't know how long Fallout 1 was done but you could really play evil or good guy and decide the fate of the cities you encounter.
Hmm, it's been a while since I played FO1, but I don't remember much of that. I do remember stealing stuff though, and there not being any consequences if I wasn't caught. And if you are caught, there are consequences in both FO and D:OS. Can you give a more concrete example?

Baldur's gate serie have something balanced too, I think.
While PST is my favourite game ever, I'll be the first to admit that compared to Divinity: OS, none of the IE games are particularly interactive. They are completely static environments with a predefined set of scripted options for the player, not comparable really. In fact, stacked up to D:OS they are more like adventure games with a battle system.

You don't need to implement consequences for stuff you don't allow in the first place.

The latest update (1.2GB) includes the DLC/Collector's Edition content such as the soundtrack and art book. There's also a bunch of spoiler-filled design documents which are pretty cool, one of them is a word doc that seems to list every single quest in the game with solutions and rewards.

Chaos17

Hmm, it's been a while since I played FO1, but I don't remember much of that. I do remember stealing stuff though, and there not being any consequences if I wasn't caught. And if you are caught, there are consequences in both FO and D:OS. Can you give a more concrete example?

While PST is my favourite game ever, I'll be the first to admit that compared to Divinity: OS, none of the IE games are particularly interactive. They are completely static environments with a predefined set of scripted options for the player, not comparable really. In fact, stacked up to D:OS they are more like adventure games with a battle system.

You don't need to implement consequences for stuff you don't allow in the first place.
My memories of Fallout 1, choice and consequences were reflected in the end of the game where ou you could read in the slides what happened to each cities and I remember that I totally destroyed some cities, lol. I liked to have the choice too to do all the quest for those bad guys then in the end decide to kill them all~

But yes, it's been years that I played those games too but the feeling of freedom in these games have not yet found any rivals (in my opinion).

Conezays

Anyone try the new patch out yet? Comment on steam page claims it brings horrible frame rate issues.

EDIT: I've tried patch now and it seems fine.

Zukuu

Banned
Is it normal that I haven't found a men-at-arms skill book yet? Went through the full town and been playing for 8 hours or so. =/

Aeana

I just noticed that the saves are huge and it's been uploading them all to Steam Cloud every time I quit the game. 20mb apiece, 5 autosaves + 5 quicksaves by default + however many you make manually. Just thought I'd point that out to anyone for whom that's a big deal due to bandwidth caps or whatever.

Decado

Just looking at the manual and I noticed there is now a "delay turn" option. I will have to experiment.

EDIT: Damn thing still doesn't have a full skill/spell list.

Ricker

The latest update (1.2GB) includes the DLC/Collector's Edition content such as the soundtrack and art book. There's also a bunch of spoiler-filled design documents which are pretty cool, one of them is a word doc that seems to list every single quest in the game with solutions and rewards.

So the game does not include full German and French languages yet...? just the sub titles...? trying to convince my friend who speaks only French to buy this so we can co-op but he wont until its fully translated,menues,UI and all...

Zukuu

Banned
I just noticed that the saves are huge and it's been uploading them all to Steam Cloud every time I quit the game. 20mb apiece, 5 autosaves + 5 quicksaves by default + however many you make manually. Just thought I'd point that out to anyone for whom that's a big deal due to bandwidth caps or whatever.
Do you have to enable cloud saves? Mine are located in my documents folder.

Oh geez, I had no idea.

Reminds me of the Witcher 1... every. single. save. would be a new file, which always ended up as a surprise when I decided to browse the save folder.

They should really let you designate which saves specifically should be "sent to the cloud."

Aeana

Do you have to enable cloud saves? Mine are located in my documents folder.

Yeah, that setting is on by default though as far as I know.
Still, this is actually probably an issue not only for bandwidth, but also for disk space, with each save being 20.5mb. That'll add up over time if you keep a lot of saves. Just wanted to let people know so they can manage better if they need to.

Monooboe

Feels so unfamiliar to be using quick save again, I did miss it and I do like that sudden things can happen that kill you, makes the world more interesting.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Still, this is actually probably an issue not only for bandwidth, but also for disk space, with each save being 20.5mb. That'll add up over time if you keep a lot of saves. Just wanted to let people know so they can manage better if they need to.

I'm having flashbacks to the Witcher 2 saves. I didn't realize each was ridiculously huge and everytime you saved it created a new one. I think by the time my first playthrough ended I had like 8gb worth of saves.

Zukuu

Banned
Seeing you can limit how many quick and auto files the game keeps, it seems like a no issue with the vast availability of HDD space. I have both at 10 - just to be sure.
I haven't seen such a option in steam yet. I'm in my 12th year of using steam, so maybe it didn't turn on when it was introduced. I'm going to check it, to be sure it's off.

Aeana

Seeing you can limit how many quick and auto files the game keeps, it seems like a no issue with the vast availability of HDD space. I have both at 10 - just to be sure.
I haven't seen such a option in steam yet. I'm in my 12th year of using steam, so maybe it didn't turn on when it was introduced. I'm going to check it, to be sure it's off.

I'm glad it's not an issue for you. It may be for other people. I was just getting the info out there.

Durante

By the way, I very much do appreciate the option not only to have multiple quick- and autosave slots, but to even be able to set how many of each you want. So PC.

Top Bottom