• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Eusis

Yes. This happens while the game is loading in the background. SSD helps, but that's it. They're supposedly going to disable background loading during movies eventually.
I suspect that was the case. And while that's usually a good idea it's not really working out as well here (and possibly not on PC in general? Outside of logo movies no one gives a shit about anyway.)

Durante

Thanks for the quick response.
Just to clarify further, it is possible to open up single player games to multiplayer at any point even after creation, but the second player will take over the existing second character - so if you plan to play the entire game in coop it makes much more sense for each player to create their own character.

epmode

I've seen it quoted as:

5 points at level 1 (character creation)
1 point at levels 2, 3, 4 & 5
2 points at levels 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10
3 points per subsequent level

So, at Level 20, you'll have allocated a total of 49 ability points.

For completion's sake,

Attribute points (ie. stats)
You start with 5 and will gain 1 point every time you level up to an even number.
At level 20 you'll have allocated 15 in total.

Talent points
You start with 2 and will gain 1 extra talent every level-up that's a multiple of 3.
At level 20 you'll have 8 talents in total.

Thank you so much for this.

Does anyone know how much intelligence is required to cast the highest level spells without a penalty?

erragal

There is a talent for +2 ability points and one for +1 attributes. Those are highly reccommended for most builds. Lone wolf might not need the ability talent.

Gaz_RB

Is there a way to slow down the coop NPC dialogue that floats over the NPC's head?
Hard to keep up with other's conversations.

pix

So I won a battle with one party member left alive. How do I resurrect all my allies? I don't have any scrolls on the guy that is alive.

Speaking of which, i read the requirements, but still unsure if i should get this because i have a 2 year old laptop with a a8 quad core and a 7690m GPU. Anyone have any idea whether i can run this?
You can probably run it on medium. I run it on my wife's 2 year old a6 laptop on low with no problems.

matmanx1

For RP reasons, I will not be stealing anything unless it is absolutely necessary to progress the story. Lockpicking to gain access to a locked area or open a new chest is a different matter and I have no problems with that.

As OP as thievery and random murder sound my "good guys" Knight and Mage team aren't going to be participating in anything like that. I trust that Larian understands that there are folks who want to play the game like that and has systems in place to support them.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Is there a way to slow down the coop NPC dialogue that floats over the NPC's head?

This has been annoying me as well. I get that they don't want to slow down the other player every time someone gets into a conversation but I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of info simply because the game doesn't have a good way of showing me the whole conversation. Your partner's responses don't show up in the message log and NPC banter drowns out the NPC responses forcing a lot of scrolling.

Noaloha

I strongly suspect the entire system around following conversations between your co-op partner and NPCs will be looked at posthaste by Larian. That and the intrusively persistant NPC voice barks are by far the most common (and, in my opinion, valid) complaints since launch.

ys45

Stupid question time, can you split stack of gold coins like you could in past Divinity game ?
I tried shift click and CTRL click but was not working .

Gaz_RB

This has been annoying me as well. I get that they don't want to slow down the other player every time someone gets into a conversation but I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of info simply because the game doesn't have a good way of showing me the whole conversation. Your partner's responses don't show up in the message log and NPC banter drowns out the NPC responses forcing a lot of scrolling.

Yeah I wish I could have the option of joining the dialogue box like my partner is in. Hmm..

For a crowd control / disabler...what elements do people recommend? I made one of my characters (My main PC that I'm personally controlling) an Enchanter...and I'm unsure as to how to level him up.

By default he has a point in Air / Water...but I'm curious if Earth has good crowd control too.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I've seen it quoted as:

5 points at level 1 (character creation)
1 point at levels 2, 3, 4 & 5
2 points at levels 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10
3 points per subsequent level

So, at Level 20, you'll have allocated a total of 49 ability points.

For completion's sake,

Attribute points (ie. stats)
You start with 5 and will gain 1 point every time you level up to an even number.
At level 20 you'll have allocated 15 in total.

Talent points
You start with 2 and will gain 1 extra talent every level-up that's a multiple of 3.
At level 20 you'll have 8 talents in total.

Kudos, exactly what I needed.

Noaloha

Stupid question time, can you split stack of gold coins like you could in past Divinity game ?
I tried shift click and CTRL click but was not working .

Yeah. Hold Shift, then click and drag the money to a different inventory slot.

Durante

You can read up on missed dialogue in the "Dialogue" part of the log.

We currently chose the option of reading our lines out, which is more entertaining.

For a crowd control / disabler...what elements do people recommend? I made one of my characters (My main PC that I'm personally controlling) an Enchanter...and I'm unsure as to how to level him up.

By default he has a point in Air / Water...but I'm curious if Earth has good crowd control too.
Air/Water is a nice combination for CC from what I've tried so far. You can make it rain to create a puddle and then electrify that puddle, stunning enemies who try to cross it. Against individual enemies you can also teleport them away (damaging them in the process).

Does anyone have any thoughts on bows vs. crossbows? I know you can't start with a crossbow, but what's the difference between the weapon types? Do both work with marksmanship skills?

I have 1 point in Loremaster and was able to identify the magical items we found so far. Saves quite a bit of cash.

Keep in mind that Loremaster also allows you to inspect the stats of a character/object on mouseover while holding CTRL. Higher levels give more info.

It will be very handy later on, at higher levels, because level 1 only seems to give current HP and sometimes AP. Once it starts giving strengths and weaknessess, its usefulness will expand greatly.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Does anyone know how to actually get information on the enemies when holding CTRL over them?

I believe it's based on your loremaster skill.

Also, this is still the #1 top seller, even ahead of perennial favorite DayZ.

Decado

Keep in mind that Loremaster also allows you to inspect the stats of a character/object on mouseover while holding CTRL. Higher levels give more info.

It will be very handy later on, at higher levels, because level 1 only seems to give current HP and sometimes AP. Once it starts giving strengths and weaknessess, its usefulness will expand greatly.

I think they should have changed the implementation slightly. Have loremaster level tied to the level of the enemy. So at loremaster 1 or 2 you should be able to get some good info on lvl 1 or 2 enemies. Otherwise it doesn't seem worth investing much at all.

Durante

I didn't even realize that! I was wondering why I could see exact HP counts on some enemies and not others.

I got Loremaster just for identification, I really hate not being able to immediately identify magical items (for free) in any game. Seems like I actually got a better deal on that skill point than I expected!

I think they should have changed the implementation slightly. Have loremaster level tied to the level of the enemy. So at loremaster 1 or 2 you should be able to get some good info on lvl 1 or 2 enemies. Otherwise it doesn't seem worth investing much at all.

Your loremaster ability is tertiary to combat survival, and it is quickly outpaced by the level of the enemy. So, I don't think that sort of implementation would work at all.

I'm having the same problem, why hasn't it said anything?

Far as I can tell, it's a non-voiced text quip that appears over the character wearing them every once in a while. Everything that's I've seen so far suggests that it isn't very impressive, varied, or frequent. It's really disappointing.

Also, I've no idea where that gold converter thing is. I might have sold it thinking it was a regular gold cup... beyond that possibility, I don't think I've seen it.

At least the soundtrack is worth it. (as always)

Decado

Regarding ACTION POINTS:

Did a little experimenting.

Speed - base AP - start AP - round AP

6 - 7 - 7 - 6
7 - 7 - 8 - 7
8 - 7 - 8 - 7
9 - 7 - 9 - 8
10 - 7 - 9 - 8
11 - 7 - 10 - 9

Essentially you get +1 start and round AP per 2 points of Speed.

It may change later on with higher Speed.

Noaloha

I'm still unsure of how my funny dlc underwear is supposed to be funny because it hasn't said a thing yet.

Apologies if you've already done this, but I guess it's worthwhile just to make sure -- have you actually equipped the underwear on your character so it shows up on the paper doll? Additionally, I'm unsure whether the additional dialogue requires the equipped character to be the selected party member for it to proc.

Real life is being a complete obstacle to my D:OSing. I've only been able to spend an hour or so in the game so far. I think I've spent twenty times that amount since Monday reading D:OS threads, ha.

Durante

Regarding ACTION POINTS:

6 - 7 - 7 - 6
7 - 7 - 8 - 7
8 - 7 - 8 - 7
9 - 7 - 9 - 8
10 - 7 - 9 - 8
11 - 7 - 10 - 9

Thanks for this. Makes each point of speed quite a bit more valuable than if it was 0.33.

UrAvgGuy

Does anyone have any thoughts on bows vs. crossbows? I know you can't start with a crossbow, but what's the difference between the weapon types? Do both work with marksmanship skills?

So far I prefer the bow and I believe they both are tied to the marksmanship skill.

From manual:
a crossbow does more damage than a regular bow and also has a higher critical chance, but its ideal range is lower than that of a bow, and it costs more Action Points to use.

Decado

Thanks for this. Makes each point of speed quite a bit more valuable than if it was 0.33.

I know! I'm not sure what to do with my mage character now. INT doesn't reduce your spell AP cost at all, but it increases the power/effectiveness of your spells...

I'm not sure how many AP higher level spells cost, but if they are in-line with 1st level spells it could be useful to get a few more AP so you can cast a 3 AP and a 6 AP spell right off the get-go.

Tain

I must have totally missed it, but what is the point of preserving action points? Do you not fully replenish them each turn? Can you respond when attacked if you saved some action points?

Klyka

Banned
I must have totally missed it, but what is the point of preserving action points? Do you not fully replenish them each turn? Can you respond when attacked if you saved some action points?

You get a fixed amount of AP each round. If you save AP you will have them extra in the next turn. So if you get 6 AP per round and you save 4 in the next turn you'll have 10 to work with.

Santiako

Regarding ACTION POINTS:

6 - 7 - 7 - 6
7 - 7 - 8 - 7
8 - 7 - 8 - 7
9 - 7 - 9 - 8
10 - 7 - 9 - 8
11 - 7 - 10 - 9

Thanks for this, I think I'll go with 7 speed for all my characters.

Durante

You get N points a turn. If you preserve M points, you'll have N+M in the next turn.

Unless N+M > C, where C is the maximum amount of action points a character can accumulate and depends on their constitution.

Zukuu

Banned
when I let it rain I don't see any puddles. Sometimes I see some for a very brief duration, then it vanishes. Any guess how I can fix that? =/

Decado

So...at the end of the day, is INT even remotely useful for a Summoner style character? I cannot tell if INT does anything for summoned creatures...

Brohan

I got so much questions lol... /sigh

Should i choose to have AI for my companion? does it mean i won't be able to control her or??

I won't take AI for my main character, just wondering what to do for my second character in the character creation screen.

(whats kind of weird is that the only choices are either Loyal or Random)

Shahadan

Apologies if you've already done this, but I guess it's worthwhile just to make sure -- have you actually equipped the underwear on your character so it shows up on the paper doll? Additionally, I'm unsure whether the additional dialogue requires the equipped character to be the selected party member for it to proc.

Yeah I equiped it on my main character (the one I use at all times) to be sure to never miss the funnies, but well...I saw some lines popping over my head but I thought it was the characters talking.

where are the trunks?

You should get them automagically by the time you fight against the three skeletons on the beach, right before the tutorial dungeon. That is, if you're talking about Zandalor's trunks. They'll equip on your belt slot (go figure?)

Top Bottom