• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Brohan

So i just bought the game and gotta wait until it's finished downloading, so i was wondering about which difficulty to play on..

How challenging is the normal difficulty and is hard really difficult or just a bit more challenging but still something an inexperienced player might overcome with patience?

Chaos17

Feels so unfamiliar to be using quick save again, I did miss it and I do like that sudden things can happen that kill you, makes the world more interesting.

Lot of good loot with F5 abuse, hehe.

So i just bought the game and gotta wait until it's finished downloading, so i was wondering about which difficulty to play on..

How challenging is the normal difficulty and is hard really difficult or just a bit more challenging but still something an inexperienced player might overcome with patience?
Depend if you play good guy or bad guy.
Stealing everything you can make your life so much easier because you will be able to get good equipements and lot of gold.
The battles can be difficult if you don't have long range companions or a healer.
But the game is balanced if you're the same level of the ennemies or just 1 level under.

My advice is to have or hire a mage so you will be able to play with the elements background during battle.
You will understand, when you will do the dunjeon tutiorial that fire+poison = explosion, lol.

So with regards to multiplayer, lets say that my friend and I both want to play together. Is there any way for us to both create our character at the character select screen? Or do I have to do all the customization?

And the saves are on the host computer. So if he wants to play single player with his newly created char, can I give him the save file and be good to go?

Zukuu

Banned

As a guy who plays usually on hard or more difficult, I find the hard difficult to be poorly implemented. You get -25% HP, -10% hit chance and the enemy gets +20% hit chance. I'd have preferred to have enemies deal 25% more damage for a plethora of reasons. Hit chance balancing is also pretty meh.

Terra_Ex

anyone tinkered around the editor yet? I wanna change Jahan to become an archer.

Yeah, played with it yesterday, can't help with that - the most I accomplished was making a environment and running around in it. Will be waiting until I finish the campaign and Larian's tutorials mature a bit before diving back in. Very promising stuff though.

JCizzle

I'm having flashbacks to the Witcher 2 saves. I didn't realize each was ridiculously huge and everytime you saved it created a new one. I think by the time my first playthrough ended I had like 8gb worth of saves.

Yep, first thing I thought of too. Good to know!

JambiBum

So with regards to multiplayer, lets say that my friend and I both want to play together. Is there any way for us to both create our character at the character select screen? Or do I have to do all the customization?

And the saves are on the host computer. So if he wants to play single player with his newly created char, can I give him the save file and be good to go?

If he joins at the character creation screen he can make his own. No idea on the save thing though.

garath

Anyone have terrible stuttering and framerate issues for the movies but fine for the game?

i5 2500k
660ti
8 gigs RAM
No SSD

In the past I believe just updating drivers have resolved issues like that which is what I'll do but just throwing it out there first.

I typically don't update drivers unless I have an issue so my nvidia drivers are likely a year old at least.

I actually did have some framerate issues for the game itself out of the box but it had auto-detected Ultra. Kept jumping from 40 to 70 and thereabouts. Put it on HIGH and turned on vsync and everything seems to be happy at 60fps.

Aeana

Anyone have terrible stuttering and framerate issues for the movies but fine for the game?

i5 2500k
660ti
8 gigs RAM
No SSD

In the past I believe just updating drivers have resolved issues like that which is what I'll do but just throwing it out there first.

I typically don't update drivers unless I have an issue so my nvidia drivers are likely a year old at least.
Yes. This happens while the game is loading in the background. SSD helps, but that's it. They're supposedly going to disable background loading during movies eventually.

liezryou

i5 2500k
660ti
8 gigs RAM
No SSD

I actually did have some framerate issues for the game itself out of the box but it had auto-detected Ultra. Kept jumping from 40 to 70 and thereabouts. Put it on HIGH and turned on vsync and everything seems to be happy at 60fps.

Speaking of which, i read the requirements, but still unsure if i should get this because i have a 2 year old laptop with a a8 quad core and a 7690m GPU. Anyone have any idea whether i can run this?

shiroryu

By the way, I very much do appreciate the option not only to have multiple quick- and autosave slots, but to even be able to set how many of each you want. So PC.

Turned both up to 25. So good :)

A weird thing is asking for a save name every time you proper save (could have made a default name with the location name). Nitpicky, but annoying. But then I started on the autosave/quicksave thing.

Denton

Hmm, it's been a while since I played FO1, but I don't remember much of that. I do remember stealing stuff though, and there not being any consequences if I wasn't caught. And if you are caught, there are consequences in both FO and D:OS. Can you give a more concrete example?

I replayed Fallout 1, Fallout Resurrection and Fallout 2 six months ago. I always play as a good guy, but from what I remember you can kill pretty much every single NPC in the game, and there are quite a few quests you can take that require you to be evil/amoral asshole. Working for Decker in The Hub comes to mind, for example. Or joining Gizmo in Junktown and wiping out Killian and his cops. Or you can join The Master and doom your home Vault to the same fate (becoming supermutants or dead) and end the game that way, instead of getting water chip and saving them. And you can also kill the fucking Overseer in the back at the end of the game when he exiles you from the Vault (if you did not join The Master).
Fallout 1/2 are golden standard of RPGs for me :)

Chaos17

1. When you begin a party (multiplayer mode), stay at the character creation and your buddy will be able to log in and create his character.
2. Unfortunaly, no. His character he creates with you will stay forever with you (you can even play solo party with his character). He will have to make a new game. i don't know if trading saves work.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
By the way, I very much do appreciate the option not only to have multiple quick- and autosave slots, but to even be able to set how many of each you want. So PC.

and they need to fix this on Mac. As soon as your declared number of slots fill up on either the Mac version bombs out on auto- and quick-saving. uggh.

Decado

Delay turn will be very useful.

BTW, has anyone experimented with Loremaster? I put a few points in it at the beginning just to see what enemy information it displays...and it shows nothing. Broken or just useless?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Do you ever get more skill points then 1 when leveling? Do skills have caps?

I've been googling and can't really find any good details on the leveling system.

Arulan

I just wanted to update that what I speculated about Speed's contribution to AP gain might be off slightly. It appears to be somewhere within the range of (0.33, 0.5) assuming it is linear. I'll look into it more later today.

Zukuu

Banned
Do you ever get more skill points then 1 when leveling? Do skills have caps?

I've been googling and can't really find any good details on the leveling system.
Yes, you get more points when you're above a certain level(s). Abilities cap at 5 and require 1 point more each level to level up.

Decado

I just wanted to update that what I speculated about Speed's contribution to AP gain might be off slightly. It appears to be somewhere within the range of (0.33, 0.5) assuming it is linear. I'll look into it more later today.

I think so, as well. I'm playing around with it, too.

Durante

BTW, has anyone experimented with Loremaster? I put a few points in it at the beginning just to see what enemy information it displays...and it shows nothing. Broken or just useless?
I have 1 point in Loremaster and was able to identify the magical items we found so far. Saves quite a bit of cash.

Sinatar

Yes, you get more points when you're above a certain level(s). Abilities cap at 5 and require 1 point more each level to level up.

Any idea how many skill points you end up with by 20? Or when these additional skill points start coming and how many?

I just noticed that the saves are huge and it's been uploading them all to Steam Cloud every time I quit the game. 20mb apiece, 5 autosaves + 5 quicksaves by default + however many you make manually. Just thought I'd point that out to anyone for whom that's a big deal due to bandwidth caps or whatever.

Yeah the saves are huge but they're very compressible. Hopefully they can implement save compression like CDPR ended up doing for The Witcher 2.

garath

Yes. This happens while the game is loading in the background. SSD helps, but that's it. They're supposedly going to disable background loading during movies eventually.

Allright. Works for me. Just glad I'm not the only one. Movie quality never really mattered to me. Game is what's important.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

It's a utility skill for identifying found equipment outside of battle. A few hours in you should find some rings or necklaces that give +1 to Loremaster, so don't invest heavily in it.

Sentenza

I have 1 point in Loremaster and was able to identify the magical items we found so far. Saves quite a bit of cash.
Considering you can easily get the first point in LM by a characterial trait, find at least one item with "Loremaster +1" and I have yet to see one single item that requires more than LM at 2, I'm not going to spend a single point on that ability yet.

Aeana

You need an identifying glass to identify even with lore master, right? I have only seen one for sale, and it was 500 gold. Is there a cheaper way to get them?

Terra_Ex

You need an identifying glass to identify even with lore master, right? I have only seen one for sale, and it was 500 gold. Is there a cheaper way to get them?

I found one in a barrel in Cyseal near some stairs iirc. Not sure if it's randomised or not though.

Sinatar

They are infinite use, so you only need 1. I've found a whole bunch lying around town.

Moff

they moved it, in the beta it was in the basement of the councillors wife. looked for it everywhere, didnt find it, and bought it.

then I saw it, its
in the undertakers office

Sentenza

You can reliably get a few of them around the city (the mortician's office, by a chest in the merchant's room on the second floor of the inn, etc).

Zukuu

Banned
Does anyone know where Marisa is? I need to deliver her
the will of the turned-to-undead husband.

edit: nvm... she is in another town. x)

Santiako

My new favourite tactic: tank with the fire elemental and throw fireballs at him to heal him and burn everyone around. Love it

Durante

It was around 450 for us, and that's just 23 identifications before it pays for itself so I got it immediately.
(Yes I play games like that :p)

Noaloha

Any idea how many skill points you end up with by 20? Or when these additional skill points start coming and how many?
I've seen it quoted as:

5 points at level 1 (character creation)
1 point at levels 2, 3, 4 & 5
2 points at levels 6, 7, 8, 9 & 10
3 points per subsequent level

So, at Level 20, you'll have allocated a total of 49 ability points.

For completion's sake,

Attribute points (ie. stats)
You start with 5 and will gain 1 point every time you level up to an even number.
At level 20 you'll have allocated 15 in total.

Talent points
You start with 2 and will gain 1 extra talent every level-up that's a multiple of 3.
At level 20 you'll have 8 talents in total.

Brohan

Thx for explaining the hard difficulty guys.

One more question though; can i join a multiplayer match with my singleplayer character?

Durante

Thx for explaining the hard difficulty guys.

One more question though; can i join a multiplayer match with my singleplayer character?
No.

If you plan on playing the game with someone else, you can join them during character creation and create your own character.

Top Bottom