• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
so for ranged weapons, I know there's an ideal range... is this for both minimum and maximum? It seems like my bow is much less effective at close range and I guess I just want to verify that I'm crazy or not.

Tom Penny

I'm hoping I can get used to he controls. It seems a chore just to break barrels and see what items are on the screen. Is there an auto feature to show all items that you can pick up? Annoying having to press a button every time.

Klyka

Banned
so for ranged weapons, I know there's an ideal range... is this for both minimum and maximum? It seems like my bow is much less effective at close range and I guess I just want to verify that I'm crazy or not.

Yeah,there is a "sweet spot" distance and when you are too close/too far away it will suffer.

Dipper145

I'm kind of stuck around level 5. Every where I go the monsters seem to be level 7 or 8, which makes it a little more difficult, except when some awsome dog helped me tear some stuff up.

I'm going to have to figure out where to go next.

Loving this game though.

I'm hoping I can get used to he controls. It seems a chore just to break barrels and see what items are on the screen. Is there an auto feature to show all items that you can pick up? Annoying having to press a button every time.

You can open the barrels to see what's inside them, rather than smashing them.

There's no auto-highlight feature I'm aware of, you'll need to hold ALT to highlight them every time unfortunately. Remember though, what you see with ALT is based on your perception rolls; it may take a moment for smaller items to come into view, so don't worry about checking for items the instant you enter the room.

Also, keep in mind that ALT will not highlight usable items or interactive items, like chests, containers, switches, doors, etc - it is purely for items you pick up by default. (I say it this way because you can actually put barrels and such in your inventory, though they weigh a ton. Useful if you want to haul, say, a water barrel a long distance instead of dragging it a foot at a time.)

Chaos17

I got so much questions lol... /sigh

Should i choose to have AI for my companion? does it mean i won't be able to control her or??

I won't take AI for my main character, just wondering what to do for my second character in the character creation screen.

(whats kind of weird is that the only choices are either Loyal or Random)

The AI option is just for the dialogs between the 2 mains heroes during solo mode.
That option skip you the core to choose the replies for the second hero.
Nothing else than that, you will have full control of the second character in battles.

If he joins at the character creation screen he can make his own. No idea on the save thing though.

1. When you begin a party (multiplayer mode), stay at the character creation and your buddy will be able to log in and create his character.
2. Unfortunaly, no. His character he creates with you will stay forever with you (you can even play solo party with his character). He will have to make a new game. i don't know if trading saves work.

Thanks guys.

F!ReW!Re

Sorry guys, don't want to read through 20+ pages here;
What's the general consensus about the game so far:

Amazing?
Must have for RPG/CRPG fans?

Alric

Having a blast so far. Have a Rogue with Air magic so I can teleport around. Well worth the kickstarter pledge for what we have.

I decided to try Lone Wolf because I really didn't want to be shoe horned with the companions they offer at launch so I built a Rogue/Archer that went Dex/Speed and an all around Caster/Buffer/Debuffer that went Int/Speed and I have just been wrecking shop. Taking on groups of enemies 1-2 levels higher than me.

Stuuuunnnsss for days.

F!ReW!Re

In my opinion 6 hours in, best crpg since Baldurs Gate 2.

That BG2 line was all I needed to hear!

Yes.
Yes.

Yes to both.

Yes.
Yes.

Thanks for the responses guys! Downloading now ;-)

Absolutely.
I can't stop gushing about the game, honestly. And I also haven't been able to convince anybody to buy it.

Everybody send duckroll PMs telling him to get this, because he won't listen to me.

Well you guys convinced me so that's 1 down!

Aeana

Sorry guys, don't want to read through 20+ pages here;
What's the general consensus about the game so far:

Amazing?
Must have for RPG/CRPG fans?
Absolutely.
I can't stop gushing about the game, honestly. And I also haven't been able to convince anybody to buy it.

Everybody send duckroll PMs telling him to get this, because he won't listen to me.

Tizoc

Gonna start the game and play it for a bit before heading out to work. Once I finish up Battleblock Theater and Bastion I'll put all my time into this game =)

I think i'll start with co-op just to try it out.

Durante

jaRTeEe.jpg

Since people were asking about reviews before, I feel like I have to post this explanation.
(From the RPGcodex forums)

For what it worth its my first CRPG or even RPG and I am having a blast.
I love reading stuff like this, even more than reading old CRPG nuts (like me) gushing about the game.

dcassell

Banned
Found the
underground grave passage
in the first town. Limped my way through that, and now I'm outside where I was promptly killed by a huge pack of zombies. Is there a preferable way to get better gear to be prepared? Monsters are only one level ahead of me, and I'm having a tough time getting through battles with a Tank, Mage, and the fighter from the tavern.

Planning to sell some stolen paintings and get the funds.

syllogism

My only qualm so far is that AI seems very inept at dealing with summons and environmental effects. Summons are, at least at this stage of the game, way too tanky. Glass cannon mages just destroy everything even on hard, but I suppose things might change later.

aravuus

I found
some used panties...
and then put them on.

Does that make me a bad person?

Probably makes you saner than most people playing this game.

I mean, I'm planning to kill everyone in the starting town when I feel like I've done enough quests there.

My only qualm so far is that AI seems very inept at dealing with summons and environmental effects. Summons are, at least at this stage of the game, way too tanky. Glass cannon mages just destroy everything even on hard, but I suppose things might change later.

That's interesting, because I've found the exact opposite to be true. My summons and mages have been largely useless, it's been almost entirely my warriors keeping me in the game.

F!ReW!Re

I love reading stuff like this, even more than reading old CRPG nuts (like me) gushing about the game.

And for me these types of comments are very useful (since I'm an CRPG nut myself, was actually playing BG1 again to fill in waiting for PoE (although I see them postponing the release till next year).

This must be quite the game if all of you (from different perspectives; new and rpg veterans alike) seem to be loving the experience so far...

marrec

Banned
So I played it proper for about an hour last night and talked to a rat about how his ancestors ate the first kings in their tombs.

10/10, would converse again.

You can't create a fire arrow right at the start? I have level 1 in crafting, isn't that enough? It kind of sucks to start with the items for a fire arrow and not being able to create one.

Durante

That's interesting, because I've found the exact opposite to be true. My summons and mages have been largely useless, it's been almost entirely my warriors keeping me in the game.

By taking your comments and building a mean, I now know that the game is perfectly balanced :p

But seriously, I've had summons be amazing tanks in one fight and useless in the next. If the game is one thing, it's highly situational. Which is great.

Gumbie

Going to use pinnacle and play this in the living room tonight with controller. Might be great or might be a disaster.

Zukuu

Banned
I have no clue why Spears / Trident / Halberds are even in the game. So far EVERY SINGLE ONE of the same level deals less min damage than 2h swords and similar max damage, but also having a worse crit modifier. They cost the same AP to use too. Only difference is that they do Piercing Damage.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Failed Experiment Quest:
Where am I supposed to go after I destroy Ahru's Failed Experiment? Says the soldiers have went to the Legion for treatment, but can't find them anywhere.

so you have a "fire arrowhead" is that correct? then it really should work. weird.

My mistake. It's a steamcloud arrowhead. I guess that's something else? Looks like a fire icon though.

Edit: Ah, now it says not enough crafting. I didn't notice that before.

Had my first CTD while shopping at the Legionnaire's Quartermaster. Worst of all, I can't remember when I last saved.

I have no clue why Spears / Trident / Halberds are even in the game. So far EVERY SINGLE ONE of the same level deals less min damage than 2h swords and similar max damage, but also having a worse crit modifier. They cost the same AP to use too. Only difference is that they do Piercing Damage.

Piercing damage, bro. Some enemies will undoubtably be much weaker against it than slashing damage.

Crushing damage works well against skeletons. I'd test if I ever remembered during battle...

Top Bottom