• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Zukuu

Banned
They changed the skill system some patches ago. I haven't tried it so take everything I say with a grain of salt, but it seems you don't need to level up men-at-arms at a high level to get the more powerful skills, but let you have new active skills.
For example, men-at-arms level 1 let you have 3 warrior skills, level two adds... 2 more? and so on. You can unlearn your skills freely, but you need a skill book to learn it again. I think high level men-at-arms make you skills cost less AP and have shorter CD, but again, I haven't tried the new system, so I'm not sure.

EDIT: From the changelog that changed that:

EDIT 2: ForkTong, one of the developers, explains the change and why they did it: http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=495329#Post495329 and http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=498474#Post498474
Sweet! So level 2 should be plenty enough for a start.

And yeah,max level yields +4AP and -1 round CD for warrior skills afaik.

OmegaDL50

The own traditional PC RPGs I've played a decent extent of was Neverwinter Nights and the Infinity Engine titles Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and Planescape Torment and a bit of Fallout 1 and 2.

This game seems to follow the trend of those.

I'm looking forward to it.

Moff

in terms of world interaction I always felt the piranha bytes games were pretty good, and like ultima VII, they have realtime combat.
gothic 2 is one of my favourite rpgs of all time, risen 1 was decent. these 2 franchises are on sale right now on steam.

OmegaDL50

in terms of world interaction I always felt the piranha bytes games were pretty good, and like ultima VII, they have realtime combat.
gothic 2 is one of my favourite rpgs of all time, risen 1 was decent. these 2 franchises are on sale right now on steam.

I own the Gothic 3 Collector's Edition...although there is a "Gold" Edition, I don't know how it varies in terms of content. I also own both Risen 1 and 2.

To be honest, Gothic 3 reminded a bit like Two Worlds, while not everyone liked that game, It thought it was fun despite the heavy criticisms against it.

My tolerance of games that fail the metacritic is generally much higher then others, which also probably explains why I enjoyed Star Ocean 3 and 4 despite also being heavily disliked.

Moff

I own the Gothic 3 Collector's Edition...although there is a "Gold" Edition, I don't know how it varies in terms of content. I also own both Risen 1 and 2.

To be honest, Gothic 3 reminded a bit like Two Worlds, while not everyone liked that game, It thought it was fun despite the heavy criticisms against it.

My tolerance of games that fail the metacritic is generally much higher then others, which also probably explains why I enjoyed Star Ocean 3 and 4 despite also being heavily disliked.

Gothic 3 is considered the worst of the 3 by far
it is the worst, but I still liked it, and I even think no other RPG had the same level of a living, breathing world, but it was seriously flawed and the last two thirds of the game were basically a construction site

risen 1 was a decent game, I dont know risen 2 yet, as of today its in my backlog.

I didnt like two worlds at all, it felt very dull and shallow to me, although the magic system was neat

Zukuu

Banned

You have Gothic 3 but not 1 and 2? Both are some of my favorite games ever. I even re-played and finished Gothic 1 last month to get rid of my Gothic-itch- Game still holds up if you can coupe with the graphics and weird controls (you get used to it tho). I liked the first Two Worlds as well. Risen 2 is a huge step backwards compared to Risen 1, which is a step backwards from Gothic 1/2. I'd skip Risen 2 unless you're a die hard euro jank fan like myself. Risen 3 is out soon.

Star Ocean 3... yikes. All I did for 40 hours or so was KICK, KICK, KICK, KICK, KICK, KICK~....

Decado

I'm pretty sure you need 2 skill points to raise a skill to level 2, 3 to level 3, etc, but I'm half-asleep so I would remember that wrong.
This is a little disappointing. Overall it seems character development is rather streamlined. With only a choice or two per level to mske...and i'm guessing there aren't 100 levels. Are you guys finding one skill point makes a huge difference?

Hopefully the manual for the full release explains the mechanics in detail.

Also...difficulty levels. Always hated the +50% damage or hp rubbish. Anyone know if Larian took the high road and made difficulty impact AI and/or enemy encounters (more, different) instead?

Durante

I like the skill system limiting you in terms of skill count. I usually enjoy the mechanic of building a synergistic selection of skills given a limited number of slots (e.g. in Guild Wars).

Noaloha

Character points are split between three types - Stats (strength, intelligence, constitution, etc.), Skills (fire magic, armour proficiency, pickpocketing, etc.) and Talents (talk to animals, regen HP when stood in blood, increased damage against knocked down foes, etc.).

You can expect to be lvl 20 to 30 by the end of the game, not appraching 100. Character advancement is quite slow and methodical, meaning each time you level up there's more thought/commitment required in your choice.

For each even-numbered level you'll get one STAT point, with the odd-numbers giving you (I think?) a point each to spend on a skill and a talent. It might ve a little more involved than that, I don't quite remember. So even though you might be one point of Strength shy of using a shiny new axe effectively (you have action point penalties if you're below the stat requirements) you may still be two level-ups away from getting that point in Strength.

Been waiting for this game a long time, can't believe it's merely days till i can finally play it.

Is the whole game already "preloaded" with the early access or will we have to download a huge patch to get started?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Been waiting for this game a long time, can't believe it's merely days till i can finally play it.

Is the whole game already "preloaded" with the early access or will we have to download a huge patch to get started?

If the previous game was any indication, the release will be a completely different download/sub (on steam).

Almighty

Well, let me put it in this way: I have a lot of hope in Pillars of Eternity and it *may* end up being even better, but it will definitely need some hard work and great results to achieve that, because Divinity Original Sin definitely doesn't look like a pushover as competition.

In Obsidian I trust.

Not that I would complain if Divinity lives up to the hype you guys are giving it. The more good old school inspired RPGs the better. I just hope all of them sell well enough to keep this revival going. Which also reminds me that I still need to check out Might and Magic X some time this year as well.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It seems pretty cool after 3 hours, but beta saves will be incompatible with the final release, right?

OmegaDL50

If the previous game was any indication, the release will be a completely different download/sub (on steam).

So what your saying is. Don't download the game preemptively in preparation for the 30th, but rather wait until the final release for them to do whatever it is they are going to do, THEN download it?

Because I really don't want to download nearly 10GB worth of game, only to find out I got to download another 10GB put into a different folder.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, does this mean it's +2 in total? And if so, did anyone tell JaseC?

Maybe. Also, he's aware. :p

So what your saying is. Don't download the game preemptively in preparation for the 30th, but rather wait until the final release for them to do whatever it is they are going to do, THEN download it?

Because I really don't want to download nearly 10GB worth of game, only to find out I got to download another 10GB put into a different folder.

That would be the most prudent action. As the date closes in, we'll be able to tell as Larian submits changes to the Steam back end.

Adnor

Banned

We don't really know, I hope it's just a huge patch but Larian hasn't said anything.

Durante

We don't really know, I hope it's just a huge patch but Larian hasn't said anything.
I think they've actually said that it will be a separate sub, and I don't believe the Steam infrastructure is set up to take data from one sub for another.

kafiend

It's going to be a long week. Had so much fun in the few hours I played early on in the beta. I put it down to avoid overdosing.

Oh wow, I didn't know Pillars of Eternity was supposed to come out this year as well. For whatever reason when I saw Beyond Torment delayed to 2015 I confused the two. Incredible year!

Hastati

Ugh. This OT hurts. The next week is going to be a long wait. Something about the beta scratches an itch that basically no other rpg on the market seems to satisfy. Except maybe DS for different reasons. Really proud of the work Larian has put into this game so far.

Anyone else also excited about the map and level editor?

This might be a silly question, but does anybody know whether they're going to put out the physical copy of the game's standard version? I can't find any information on this.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh. This OT hurts. The next week is going to be a long wait. Something about the beta scratches an itch that basically no other rpg on the market seems to satisfy. Except maybe DS for different reasons. Really proud of the work Larian has put into this game so far.

Anyone else also excited about the map and level editor?

Yes. They will be streaming some new footage of the editor on Thursday, 18:00 CET.

This might be a silly question, but does anybody know whether they're going to put out the physical copy of the game's standard version. I can't find any information on this.

The German, French, and Polish collectors editions should be available in regional stores. Larian is selling the English physical collectors edition with world wide shipping on it's website. The link is in the OT.

The German, French, and Polish collectors editions should be seeing them in regional stores. Larian is selling the English physical collectors edition with world wide shipping on it's website. The link is in the OT.
Aa, I know about the collector's edition. What I'm worried about is the physical standard version, because no even thw Larian Store sells it.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Aa, I know about the collector's edition. What I'm worried about is the physical standard version, because no even thw Larian Store sells it.

Analysis of the numbers by Larian might mean there will not be one I'm afraid, especially since they are self publishing.

Screenshots look a tad too generic for my taste. Does the art design improve as you progress?

Check out the first video in the Previews section of the OT. The Beta build is only a small area of the final game.

aravuus

I just realized this game is coming out the day I start my vacation. Best timing ever

Same here! I just need to finish MGS2, 3, 4 and Peace Walker before the 30th lmao

Can anyone answer my earlier question ?

Oh hey, are the enemies respawning or do they stay dead forever? I.e. is grinding possible?

I'm sure there's an easy difficulty or something, or one will be modded in, if I have trouble, but I'd like to start with normal then possibly grind a bit if I run into massive trouble.

RK9039

Can anyone answer my earlier question ?

I'm sure there's an easy difficulty or something, or one will be modded in, if I have trouble, but I'd like to start with normal then possibly grind a bit if I run into massive trouble.

No, I'm pretty sure enemies stay dead. The level cap is 20 and it takes a while to get levels, but grinding isn't possible as far as I know.

aravuus

No, I'm pretty sure enemies stay dead. The level cap is 20 and it takes a while to get levels, but grinding isn't possible as far as I know.

Alright, thanks. I figured that'd be the case, it usually is with western RPGs. Noticed there are at least easy, medium and hard difficulty levels, can you change those whenever mid-game?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wait, does this mean it's +2 in total? And if so, did anyone tell JaseC?

Haha, unfortunately I don't see Larian submitting a new app for the final release of the game. The only reason Dragon Commander is split between the final release and the beta is because the latter was a pre-purchase incentive.

RK9039

Alright, thanks. I figured that'd be the case, it usually is with western RPGs. Noticed there are at least easy, medium and hard difficulty levels, can you change those whenever mid-game?

Yup, I just checked. You can change the difficulty in the game settings whenever.

Zakalwe

Banned
Two days ago I barely knew a thing about this game. Now I own it, and convinced two colleagues to buy I to early access. One even took a half day to download it in time for this evening.

So much hype.

Durante

Haha, unfortunately I don't see Larian submitting a new app for the final release of the game. The only reason Dragon Commander is split between the final release and the beta is because the latter was a pre-purchase incentive.
Hmm, I do remember them saying that the key would be separate though.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I still haven't gotten this second key on larian vault, still only have the beta version. In Steam it isn't called Divinity: Original Sin beta though, just Divinity Original Sin.

Terra_Ex

I still haven't gotten this second key on larian vault, still only have the beta version. In Steam it isn't called Divinity: Original Sin beta though, just Divinity Original Sin.
I don't think it's been added yet, mine isn't there either. Though I don't see the point of the secondary key tbh.

Top Bottom