• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Ferrio

Banned
The companions are pretty boring personality wise, though I believe that they do have quests you'll miss out on.

One more question, do you get more feats later on? I didn't take those to start, but figured you'd acquire more feats.

Lone Wolf is a difficulty increase slider. That character can't have henchmen either. It does not replace the power of a full additional character.

Encounter sizes are balanced for four person teams so keep that in mind.

Oh... what's the difference between henchmen and companies?

Klyka

Banned
Where is this at? Spoiler text if you feel the need.

there are two pieces of star stone you find in the town. one in the healers house and one in the inn's murder room. first stone you find unlocks the homestead, seocnd stone unlocks the "hall of heroes" where you find an NPC who you can hire henchmen from.

Noaloha

I'm looking at this one feat that says "fuck companies" pretty much. Do companies add much to the game? I mean is there dialogue or interesting ones like Minsc? Would I be missing out on much?

The game's combat encounters are balanced around you having a party of four, your two main characters plus two companions/henchmen.

If you choose to ignore hiring extra members of your party AND don't take the Lone Wolf perks which you're refering to, the game will be much more challenging (and far less forgiving towards your character creation choices).

If you choose to ignore hiring extra members of your party BUT you do take the Lone Wolf perks which you're refering to, the game will be more challenging (and less forgiving towards your character creation choices).

Then there's summons.

Then obviously there's a middle ground if you only give Lone Wolf to one of your main characters.

Then you can fiddle around with actual dificulty settings!

erragal

One more question, do you get more feats later on? I didn't take those to start, but figured you'd acquire more feats.

Oh... what's the difference between henchmen and companies?

You get one every two levels if it hasn't changed. Companions have dialogue/quest lines and react to your decisions and personality. Henchmen/hirelings are basically quiet mercenaries. I personally am more interested in those because I quite enjoy the interplay between the dual protagonists(especially in coop) and don't need additional narrative obscuring that.

Chaos17

Originally Posted by RiggenBlaque
I started with a Warrior/Cleric combo, did I totally fuck myself? Should I just reroll now and get it over with?
whew...I'm not really enjoying my enchanter/battlemage combo but I kinda don't want to reroll either.

Bear with it until you can hire henchmens in the first city.
If you don't have enough money to hire them, just rob all the city.

Originally Posted by Ferrio

I'm looking at this one feat that says "fuck companies" pretty much. Do companies add much to the game? I mean is there dialogue or interesting ones like Minsc? Would I be missing out on much?
Medora and the mage (the companions) have kinda the same personality = burn all the demons!
So for the moment, there is no Baldur's gate 2 feeling dialog with companions at least for me.
The dev plan to add more companions in the futur, though.

Noaloha

You can carry barrels? This changes everything!

If it's not nailed down, chances are you can drag it into your inventory, theoretically.

My witch always has around five candles in his pockets. Who needs to put a point in Fire Magic to allow igniting oil? Pfft. Not he!

there are two pieces of star stone you find in the town. one in the healers house and one in the inn's murder room. first stone you find unlocks the homestead, seocnd stone unlocks the "hall of heroes" where you find an NPC who you can hire henchmen from.

Perfect. Thank you.

MayMay

Banned
Nice Patch, DLC still isnt working for me tho. Fucking ridiculous, that should be their #1 priority right now - people paid for that and can't access it. They even said several times that issues with it should be fixed now. Nope.

RK9039

Today's update contains a number of hot fixes for the biggest issues you've been reporting. Your DLC problems should all be sorted out now too.

-Zandalor's Trunks will now talk
-Fixed the repeating voice problem that drove everybody bananas
-Muted banter voices while in dialog or trade
-Fixed crash with open inventory/skill tree on level swap
-Removed Intro Movie loading jitter
-Disabled saving to Steam Cloud again because its size is too small for our save games. We are going to compress the save games first and then reactivate it.
-Fixed problem with UI and save games
-Fixed Silverglen bad script crash
-Fixed problems with preview window in editor
-Fixed problems with game not starting after changing main campaign data with editor

Have fun! And thanks again for spreading the word about Divinity:Original Sin!

Yeeeeeeee

marrec

Banned
Nice Patch, DLC still isnt working for me tho. Fucking ridiculous, that should be their #1 priority right now - people paid for that and can't access it. They even said several times that issues with it should be fixed now. Nope.

Larian Games Priority List:

#1 - Make those trunks talk

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
lol you guys... the banter never bothered me, and often it indicates a side quest available.. so I kind of use it like a homing beacon to find the side quest-giver :p

Shtpfrk

Neo Member
You can carry barrels? This changes everything!

You can move a stack of three barrels a very short distance using one point of telekinesis. If you move the stack as close to an enemy as possible they will take damage based on the weight of the barrels. You can use this to two-shot the lighthouse boss or the very large level 7 orc boss for 4 AP.

I linked a one minute twitch recording of me smashing the lighthouse boss like this earlier in the thread. Not sure if it's an intended mechanic but a level 4 doing 180 damage for 2 AP is... interesting.

Peff

Today's update contains a number of hot fixes for the biggest issues you've been reporting. Your DLC problems should all be sorted out now too.

-Zandalor's Trunks will now talk
-Fixed the repeating voice problem that drove everybody bananas
-Muted banter voices while in dialog or trade
-Fixed crash with open inventory/skill tree on level swap
-Removed Intro Movie loading jitter
-Disabled saving to Steam Cloud again because its size is too small for our save games. We are going to compress the save games first and then reactivate it.
-Fixed problem with UI and save games
-Fixed Silverglen bad script crash
-Fixed problems with preview window in editor
-Fixed problems with game not starting after changing main campaign data with editor

Have fun! And thanks again for spreading the word about Divinity:Original Sin!

Haha, nice, it really was annoying.

The game is still #1 on the best-selling games list too, great stuff.

Glad to hear this is doing well. I hope, if it continues to do well, Larian keeps making games with this scope rather than trying their hand and press-a-to-awesome, AAA development. I love this type of game.

HoosTrax

Is there a way of dealing with those floor traps, other than using Teleportation to chuck a party member past it? They can't be interacted with to Disarm.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
So guys, is the game good? I enjoy games like fallout 2,Gothic, divine Divinity and xcom, but I'm worried that this game doesn't seem to have a good story.

Noaloha

Do spells requiring you to be in melee range also take an armor penalty?

Like vampiric touch for example.

I'm not in a position to test it myself but if you are (or anyone else is), you can use offensive abilities on party members with CTRL. Should be a quick experiment just comparing numbers between armour on and armour off.

I'd be very surprised if armour was factored in though. I imagine it's just Intelligence versus Bodybuilding factoring into the saving throw.

Klyka

Banned
So guys, is the game good? I enjoy games like fallout 2,Gothic, divine Divinity and xcom, but I'm worried that this game doesn't seem to have a good story.

the story is quite good and my friend who is way farther than me says it goes crazy and awesome

You genuinely get stronger as you level...it's very satisfying. I just hope the second+ towns aren't as frustrating as Cyseal initially.

Anyone familiar with the talent "Picture of Health". It adds 5% HP X your Man At Arms level. Does that apply to future levels too?

Klyka

Banned
You genuinely get stronger as you level...it's very satisfying. I just hope the second+ towns aren't as frustrating as Cyseal initially.

Anyone familiar with the talent "Picture of Health". It adds 5% HP X your Man At Arms level. Does that apply to future levels too?

it applies to future levels,yes

FinalHeaven

Neo Member
I have one friend who insists the game is terrible. But almost everything I read and a bunch of my other friends say it's really fun. I didn't follow the development much but I think I've settled on getting it. Just sort of trying to decide if it's worth the $40 price tag.

I realize I probably should have just snagged it during the summer sale :/

I have one friend who insists the game is terrible. But almost everything I read and a bunch of my other friends say it's really fun. I didn't follow the development much but I think I've settled on getting it. Just sort of trying to decide if it's worth the $40 price tag.

You have a terrible friend.

marrec

Banned

No accounting for taste... but this game is legitimately amazing.

I'm guessing your friend hasn't played it or just doesn't like CRPGs in general.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

Your friend is a cynical blowhard.

FinalHeaven

Neo Member
Well then, I guess that pretty much solidifies that I should probably go ahead and purchase it. $40 isn't bad at all if it really is that good.

It's really old school when it comes to design. You've gotta think, read your journal, and the game isn't all about combat. I can see a lot of people being turned off by it, so your friend may have his reasons for holding that opinion.

But, if it's your thing, it's damn good.

Terra_Ex

I have a friend who thinks Dragon Age 2 is better than BG2, you can imagine how much stock I put in his opinion regards rpgs.

Original Sin really is as good as people are saying, buy it.

SaiyanRaoh

Okay, I might be the only one not playing. I can't get more than 10 fps on this thing no matter what graphic setting or resolution I use. It makes no difference. I've updated the game to the most current version, I have the most current non beta Nvidia drivers with no improvement. I've uninstalled and reinstalled repeatedly.

I have an i7 4770k
Gtx 660ti
Gtx 560ti (Physx)
8gb memory

Any ideas?

Okay, I might be the only one not playing. I can't get more than 10 fps on this thing no matter what graphic setting or resolution I use. It makes no difference. I've updated the game to the most current version, I have the most current non beta Nvidia drivers with no improvement. I've uninstalled and reinstalled repeatedly.

I have an i7 4770k
Gtx 660ti
Gtx 560ti (Physx)
8gb memory

Any ideas?

Try turning off shadows. It made the game playable for me.

Ferrio

Banned
The game's combat encounters are balanced around you having a party of four, your two main characters plus two companions/henchmen.

If you choose to ignore hiring extra members of your party AND don't take the Lone Wolf perks which you're refering to, the game will be much more challenging (and far less forgiving towards your character creation choices).

If you choose to ignore hiring extra members of your party BUT you do take the Lone Wolf perks which you're refering to, the game will be more challenging (and less forgiving towards your character creation choices).

Then there's summons.

Then obviously there's a middle ground if you only give Lone Wolf to one of your main characters.

Then you can fiddle around with actual dificulty settings!

So you can take lone wolf for one of your characters and still use henchmen etc?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Anyone have issues with Fake fullscreen or window mode with screen tearing? Game runs like butter 60fps with everything to the max but that shit is tearing up the place when I'm not in fullscreen mode. I have D3DOverrider on, though I haven't turned it off to see if that would somehow help. Messing with the ingame settings for Vsync, frame limit and what not haven't done anything, haven't messed with any other settings though like AA or shadows.

Never had an issue with screen tearing during the beta though. Played some dozen or more hours and it was always tear free.

Noaloha

So you can take lone wolf for one of your characters and still use henchmen etc?

The way companions/henchmen work is they are paired to the main characters -- Roderick can hire one, Scarlett can hire one. So a party of four. If, say, Roderick takes Lone Wolf but Scarlett does not, then Roderick loses his extra party member allocation, but Scarlett retains hers. So a party of three.

SaiyanRaoh

Shadows were the first thing I disabled. I have the game on the lowest settings possible and Even 800x600 res. Makes no difference. 10...maybe 15 fps.

ys45

I'm glad to see they are fixing stuff quickly !
That sheep cheese girl was driving me crazy lol

What I like about thecombat in this game is I have not encounter a single combat where we just blindly move the char and kill stuff .
you need to analyze terrain scout ahead and make strategy because the freaking AI is pretty challenging and use terrain to their advantage .
We managed to win against a party of 8 undead yesterday felt so good when we won

Top Bottom