• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
I do wonder if this game is doing well.

On steam stats the peak concurrent players today is 13,000, which seems... ok?

I just got the 'Divinity Original Sin Digital Collectors edition', also forwarded the 2nd copy to a friend.

so..there it is, now I have contributed to the game too.

Brohan

Not sure if i like the trait bonuses from conversations.. I kinda want to be able to roleplay without having to worry about getting the wrong traits for my character..

Can somebody list the trait bonuses attached to being romantic,pragmatische and bold etc?

Zukuu

Banned
Not sure if i like the trait bonuses from conversations.. I kinda want to be able to roleplay without having to worry about getting the wrong traits for my character..

Can somebody list the trait bonuses attached to being romantic,pragmatische and bold etc?
They're mostly small boni like Leadership +1 vs Sneaking +1. Or crafting vs Charisma etc. Nothing to worry about much imo.

Charisma seems like a waste of a stat, right? All it does is giving you a few points head start when the RPS game starts, or did I miss something? I think even with 0 Charisma you can charm / reason / intimidate everybody.

Do vendor inventories reset now and then? Kind of annoying that Arhu hasn't been stocking the Fireball skillbook.
I think very often, maybe each time you reload. I've been save scumming a bit to see what each vendor has to offer for my characters respectively. Just quick save before you talk to him and load again after you've browsed him.

Damn, that's a shame. Hope it gets fixed soon, it's so frustrating. Puts me off playing when there's constant yapping in my ear of the same line over and over again.

Not sure what is meant by "it has to do with co-op" - as it certainly occurs in singleplayer.

You can turn down the voice dialogue in audio options. The quality and enjoyment of the experience went up drastically for me as the ambient and music audio are very good.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I'm at work and so can't try this out myself yet but I and a lot of other people were having problems with co-op dialogue where only the initiator is in the conversation while the other player tries to figure out wtf is happening. Supposedly if you are not the person that initiated the dialog you can press 'L' and then click on 'Dialogues' you can read the conversation as it plays out.

Brohan

They're mostly small boni like Leadership +1 vs Sneaking +1. Or crafting vs Charisma etc. Nothing to worry about much imo.

Charisma seems like a waste of a stat, right? All it does is giving you a few points head start when the RPS game starts, or did I miss something? I think even with 0 Charisma you can charm / reason / intimidate everybody.

Well you can Call it small but if i want one character to be a crafter i don't want charisma.

So is there a list of all the bonuses?

NIN90

Anyone know what to do with the book [can be found in Cyseal's library]
Philosophy of Death? The ghost at the graveyard wants to test my knowledge of it but the pages are blank!

Zukuu

Banned
Philosophy of Death? The ghost at the graveyard wants to test my knowledge of it but the pages are blank!

I didn't find a way to make it readable either. I solved that by trial and error. I think the right combination is
Answer: 2, 2, 1 (not a 100% sure anymore tho).

Zeliard

I think that's a bug. I ended up just guessing and got it right, heh. Though it is quite amusing that
a book on the Philosophy of Death, of all things, is a void.

Moff

yeah I didnt solve that either. even with loremaster. a bug maybe?

HoosTrax

I think very often, maybe each time you reload. I've been save scumming a bit to see what each vendor has to offer for my characters respectively. Just quick save before you talk to him and load again after you've browsed him.
That worked, thanks!

erragal

It is and isn't. Dialogue rps fights you get your charisma bonus as additional points for each round of rps you win. Considering that winning rps against a non human opponent is essentially random it's actually extraordinarily valuable if you don't want to reload repeatedly to get perfect conversation outcomes.

Looking at your second comment I suspect that's not an issue for you.

erragal

Well the hoarding of healing items, consumables and spells is something that's kind of a standard reflex for me in almost every game.

Reason why I do it vary;
- Saving up items for use against potential hard enemies/bosses later on
- As a challenge; I like playing and finishing max payne games without taking a hit for example so I'm always stocked up on pain killers without using them :p
- Or just like you said, hoarding them up and never using them because you forget is something that also happens a lot :p

The most often psychological motivation I've seen is people find that using items that aren't inherent to their character sheet (consumable resources) is 'cheating'. It's a silly idea though; the items are in the game to give you tactical options for situations you couldn't anticipate.

I'm just trying to encourage people to look at the game more holistically. It's a beautifully designed game on hard with real tactical possibilities...I'm almost wanting to not even take a companion in my duo game if I wasn't worried about large encounter sizes late game.

Shtpfrk

Neo Member
Wish my wizard had about 120 pounds more carry capacity so I could keep 3 water barrels on me for crushing enemies for 180 damage per 2 AP.

Is there an easy way to compare equipment of other party members when bartering? Right now, I have one of my mains talk and when wanting to compare a weapon of one of my teammates, I have to switch to them in the barter menu and compare the stats that way as opposed to just hovering over an item and it showing to me via popup.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I hoard because I always save them for emergencies..of course when one occurs I forget to.

Yeah I planned to do the same cycle but normal is too easy so now I'm just collecting them. I'll probably start a new game on hard and see if anything changes.

erragal

I hoard because I always save them for emergencies..of course when one occurs I forget to.

That's what I'm loving about this game...it can surprise you. It's also more fun to finish a fight than to reload...something about the specific narrative of the combat flow that feels more memorable when you bust out that rain scroll, or create the smoke cloud that actually screws you over then have to use a clutch cc to save your rogue buddy.

Haven't enjoyed combat situations like this since original x-com to be quite honest. Edit: I'd add shining force 2 to that list as well.

Zakalwe

Banned
I think your strategy needs some reworking. You can stun lock her so she never summons her minions and then your melee can got to town.

I started with static cloud arrow manually fired from my bow to initiate combat before she drags you into the speech. By the time the stun ran out she had all sorts of debuffs on her and my melee ripped her down in one round,

That was my strategy. She reisisted 90% of what I threw at her. Tried rain + chill to freeze, all types of KD, stuns... tried casting rain pre-combat then chill or stun, tried charging in with a kd to initiate...

Eventually beat her by teleporting her to my melee and stunning her summons.

Guys, trying to keep as much of the mystique to the game as possible, figuring everythin gout myself etc., just wanted to check if something is bugged or if it's just that I've not found the right solution...
in the forgotten crypt, the tomb makes the opening noise, but doesn't, and nothing happens.Is this what's supposed to happen?

I haven't had such a good time with a game in so long. I just sat and played for 3 hours there, I pretty much never break the 2 hour mark with games these days. I sat down after lunch and there went the afternoon. Really fantastic. Similar to a few psoters above, I found that I had specced identical to a companion, have started the game about 5 times trying different builds but I lvoe that part of the fun, feeling utterly lost and just fumbling around to see what happens when I do X, and so on. Really hope this does well for larian.

Shahadan

Guys, trying to keep as much of the mystique to the game as possible, figuring everythin gout myself etc., just wanted to check if something is bugged or if it's just that I've not found the right solution...
in the forgotten crypt, the tomb makes the opening noise, but doesn't, and nothing happens.Is this what's supposed to happen?

Opening the stone coffin tomb thing you mean? You need to drag the lid.

Noaloha

If it's the place I think it is,
it might be that you're not so much opening the sarcophagus as you are just poking at it. Try treating the lid as separate (quite heavy!) object.

Opening the stone coffin tomb thing you mean? You need to drag the lid.

If it's the place I think it is,
it might be that you're not so much opening the sarcophagus as you are just poking at it. Try treating the lid as separate (quite heavy!) object.

haha! Cheers guys, I'm at the
pirate cove
right now, but I'll head back up there later and do exactly that.
The tombs in the tutorial dungeon just opened by clicking on them, I never considered dragging the lid off.

VandalD

Ready to move on to the next major area, but still have things to do in Cyseal. The combat is still badass. That last boss battle
under the church
felt insurmountable, but then I won and it felt great. Starting to need more action bars. Wish you could enable more instead of having to page through the main one.

Hastati

This game is SO GOOD. It's an Obsessive Compulsive's best nightmare. Haven't been this addicted to pulling cheese and femurs out of dusty old barrels since Morrowind. There are just so many amazing, pointless things you can do in this game. I also really like how most of these things do not involve killing, combat, or even drama.

The game most certainly lacks polish in some areas (or mostly just needs to be patched to iron out many of the tiny niggling problems, most of which have been mentioned in this thread), but the core "gameplay" which is hard to generalize in a single word is so satisfying. This game begs for imaginative use of the tools it gives you, and even expects you to break them.

The thing I'm most excited about are the wonders that will arise over time from the modding community, because there is so much potential for awesome with the systems they have built.

Thank you based Larian!

jrcbandit

Is crafting worthwhile at all? The default for a ranger has many crafting skills but I don't think I really want to do it unless the items are really bad ass. I was thinking of changing at least 1 of those skills out for stealing skill, maybe lockpicking except I don't think there are many locks to pick?

VandalD

Is crafting worthwhile at all? The default for a ranger has many crafting skills but I don't think I really want to do it unless the items are really bad ass. I was thinking of changing at least 1 of those skills out for stealing skill, maybe lockpicking except I don't think there are many locks to pick?
It seems like rangers would benefit a lot from crafting, what with all the sweet arrowheads they can shoot out. Lockpicking is handy to have. Pickpocket can be so good it's broken, from what others are saying.

Rizzi

Starting to think it might be time to upgrade my pc.
My i5 2400 and 660ti just doesn't seem to be cutting it any longer.

FtHTiny

I think i can´t complete The grieving orc quest anymore. Talked to him and thought i would like that armor and closed the dialoge. Dug up besideds him and killed him but the quest isn´t completed. Dug up 3 more graves on the beacht but it seems it isn´t the right one and i´m not able to find it anymore.

Anyone have tips for making a good character? I wanted to go pyro + witchcraft but it feels like I'm useless. All I can do is cast flare over and over again because all the early enemies are undead who are immune to bleed.

garath

I'm enjoying playing the game quasi-ironman. Short of a complete party wipe, I'm not reloading for decisions or bad rolls, etc.

It's led to some things that I don't think I would have normally done:

*really early early spoilers.. like first hour of the game*

- Given the option to throw the clam back into the water or not, I wanted to throw him back but thought it would be fun if my party member disagreed with me. Ended up in a rock paper scissors situation and she actually won. Oh well. Sold the clam.
- Clicked on the door behind the guard in the warehouse and it opened up new dialog where I could intimidate him to let me in. Ended up winning that rock paper scissors and getting into the warehouse. Got a nice chunk of xp but lost 100 favor? Weird. Ended up robbing the place blind. Again not something I would have normally done but hey.. stick with it. Interesting side note with this, just for the heck of it, I thought I'd reload to see if the charm option did anything different (it didn't seem to.. rock paper scissors again) but afterwards he saw me stealing the things because I didn't close the door and attacked. He is REALLY strong. One shot my poor summoned ice golem.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone have tips for making a good character? I wanted to go pyro + witchcraft but it feels like I'm useless. All I can do is cast flare over and over again because all the early enemies are undead who are immune to bleed.

Specialize in elemental schools that compliment each other. So, Fire and Earth go well together because Earth has spells that affect the enemies and additionally set up combos for Fire. Also, the undead aren't immune to burning.

Leezard

I think i can´t complete The grieving orc quest anymore. Talked to him and thought i would like that armor and closed the dialoge. Dug up besideds him and killed him but the quest isn´t completed. Dug up 3 more graves on the beacht but it seems it isn´t the right one and i´m not able to find it anymore.
The correct grave can't be found without the orc showing you where it is, I think.

Top Bottom