• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Kinthalis

Banned
Can't wait to dedicate more time to the game. So far I've been experiences in short spurts whenever I've had the time.

Loving it so far though! So full of atmosphere.

KiTA

SO... this is good? I heard one of the previous Divinity games was really really bad? But this one really looks like a modern version of BG/BG2.

Completely slipped under my radar -- worth picking up?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
SO... this is good? I heard one of the previous Divinity games was really really bad? But this one really looks like a modern version of BG/BG2.

You've got 37 pages of people flipping out about how insanely good it is, what do you think?

Noaloha

People are really* enjoying this game.

*, really, really, really**

**, really, really really, really, really

MayMay

Banned

It's that good - so go buy it

VandalD

Beyond Divinity was really, really bad and everyone knows it. Original Sin is great.

So do we know how many towns total are in this game? All I'm seeing so far is talk of the starting one, and one dude mentioned just getting ready to leave it after being there for 35 hours (!). Just hope there's a good variety of towns to visit and most of the game isn't poured into the first one.

Brainsaw

Neo Member

Look up a bit, a few posts ago (+/- 10) a very good description was given of what to expect.

I personally love it (and many here as well), but it's definitely "old skool". For instance, quests aren't marked, so you'll have to read where to go (and even then the log just has hints and not detailed instructions). Another example is crafting: instead of a menu, you simply combine items in your inventory (it reminds me of point & click adventures back in the day). You can experiment yourself, but there are many books with examples.

Simply put: expect no handholding, but exploring yourself. There are hints scattered about (mostly in books), which fit perfectly in the world itself (kinda like a "how to make an arrow for dummies" style).

Also, the combat is awesome. There are lots of ways to kill enemies, so it's mostly up to you to find out what you prefer. You'll be surprised how often a solution or experiment works, simply because it should in the real world (like using a knife on a pillow to get feathers).

Noaloha

So do we know how many towns total are in this game? All I'm seeing so far is talk of the starting one, and one dude mentioned just getting ready to leave it after being there for 35 hours (!). Just hope there's a good variety of towns to visit and most of the game isn't poured into the first one.

Larian claim that there are three other maps similar in size to the opening one (ie. with Cyseal) which are approximately as dense in terms of content. Unsure about specifics of towns though.
Edit: plus six more minor-sized maps. :)

OmegaDL50

Murphy is my favorite NPC in every game ever.

tUwfCl1.jpg
I'm Murphy, Jake's Dog. Wow, you smell great! Have you been rolling around on dead things all day? That's my favourite hobby too!

tUwfCl1.jpg
Bowwwwwww! If I ever find out who killed Jake, the most awesome Jake who ever Jaked, I'll...I'll...I'll bark so much! Seriously so much, you have no idea!

I'm tempted to change my avatar...a shame I can't capture a larger image.

Larian claim that there are three other maps similar in size to the opening one (ie. with Cyseal) which are approximately as dense in terms of content. Unsure about specifics of towns though.
Edit: plus six more minor-sized maps. :)

OK thanks for that. Wondering if anyone here has made it to one of the other towns yet, and if has its own style that stands out from Cyseal.

Murphy is my favorite NPC in every game ever.

tUwfCl1.jpg
I'm Murphy, Jake's Dog. Wow, you smell great! Have you been rolling around on dead things all day? That's my favourite hobby too!

tUwfCl1.jpg
Bowwwwwww! If I ever find out who killed Jake, the most awesome Jake who ever Jaked, I'll...I'll...I'll bark so much! Seriously so much, you have no idea!

I'm tempted to change my avatar...a shame I can't capture a larger image.

Yeah, it started to get kinda sad seeing (hearing?) him talk (bark?) about Jake. Fellow dog owners can agree.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
this game reminds me of the Souls series so much, it will be a lot more divisive than people initially thought, and you know what, that is a-ok

MayMay

Banned
Noooo reading all the Murphy hype - he died and I didnt reload and now 10 hours later I dont want to anymore ;_; crie ertiem

SaiyanRaoh

I've been reading the specs folks on this forum have been running this game. I should easily have 60fps if that's an indication. My rig is better than some of these. Yet I can only get 10-15fps. What nvidia drivers are you guys using? Maybe I'll have to rollback.

jediyoshi

don't know how to get both characters to step on separate pressure pads in the tutorial dungeon omg :C

You're meant to place objects onto them. Though another puzzle comes up later where you need to do that anyway. You drag your character portraits away from each other to 'unchain' them, then they can be controlled independently.

Levyne

Banned
In the city... near town hall and library..

I found the
key to Cecil's Living Quarters, but it won't open the Door to Cecil's Living Quarters?

Zakalwe

Banned
Is there any way to respec your stats/talent choices? Already restarted a bunch of times and Im tired of the starting area.

Yeah the buff is great, but the direct damage stuff seems fairly weak and the range on a lot of debuffs is quite short.

There's a respec option in game somewhere, if you google it the patch it was added in is noted amongst the first hits.

My knight hits twice per turn for 70-100 using
his two handed sword, and opportunist often procs for an extra touch. At level 8 he tears through standard mobs.

How are those numbers? Sound about right or are you (or anyone else) sprinting ahead with dmg?

Hopefully I'm missing something here. So when purchasing skills I need to talk to the vendor with each individual party member one at a time in order to know which skills that character has already learned (so it says "you already learned this skill" in the description? And then switch back to my party member with barter skills if I want a good deal?

I think you're just supposed to remember who has what. :p

This game is kind of like a brain training excersise.

-

So I forgot about the 8 hours I spent in beta... I have 41 hours tracked on steam 5 of those MP, I was going to leave Cyseal earlier but decided to clear out the burning areas around the church and make sure I'd stolen all I could.

28 hours on the first map. 3 more approx as big? If they're as dense this will make me very happy. Having to dial back in the game time till Sunday, I might start taking my time with this so I can savour it, but not sure if that's possible. If just drags you in...

tariniel

I fucked myself last night playing. I was digging up graves in Cyseal, having a grand old time. I discovered some stuff about Jake, talked to a dog, killed a woman guarding the grave of her daughter, and found a secret tunnel.

Then I was exploring, and found a house with a grave in front of it that was glowing. It looked shiny and I was possessed to dig up the shinies in that grave.

Then in blew up and killed my entire party. I hadn't saved for about an hour. Son of a bitch.

The quest where the mayor asks us to find a lost staff of burgundybus,
I don't remember the name, and the sailor named Conrad tells us that some wizard took it and is gonna be on a boat near the beach
. Which direction is he, towards east
where the orks are
or the path through which we just came to the ciy?

Zakalwe

Banned
I fucked myself last night playing. I was digging up graves in Cyseal, having a grand old time. I discovered some stuff about Jake, talked to a dog, killed a woman guarding the grave of her daughter, and found a secret tunnel.

Then I was exploring, and found a house with a grave in front of it that was glowing. It looked shiny and I was possessed to dig up the shinies in that grave.

Then in blew up and killed my entire party. I hadn't saved for about an hour. Son of a bitch.

If you don't save for 24 hours or more and then check
you still die and I made you look

Does anyone know how I'm supposed to get to the
beach in the North West
? I can't seem to find a way down to it. That's not really a spoiler just a geographic location, but you never know.

Taruranto

Looks like I failed to wait and gave it a go. <_<

Anyone found a Midnight Oil skillbook? The wizard that sells earth spell doesn't have any.

Top Bottom