• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Zukuu

Banned
Glass cannon seems OP as fack on a range character. Still unsure due to the hp penalty.
16 AP per TURN(!) looks very tempting tho. Would drop from 333 hp to 188. Mh...

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Glass cannon seems OP as fack on a range character. Still unsure due to the hp penalty.
16 AP per TURN(!) looks very tempting tho. Would drop from 333 hp to 188. Mh...

As long as you distract the enemies with a melee character you should be okay. But you might have to restart some encounters.

Sarcasm

Question is Divine Light a debuff to be used on enemies? What exactly is Warm?

ipNJnGmExI1FZ.png

Saige

I must do better.
10 hours in and I’m loving it. Games that get exploration right always get their hooks in me.

Also goes to show that Durante knows his RPGs. Backed the kickstarter solely based on his hype and was not let down.

nbthedude

10-hours in and after beating a particular tough fight near the lighthouse. I honestly feel playing this on "hard" is the way to go. It's demanding without being too challenging, and the design of the skills and various ways you can use the environment raises the bar when it comes to combat in role-playing games because just holy shit. I gotta wonder how Pillars of Eternity pause-and-strategise brand of combat is going compete after playing this.
Is Wasteland turn based or pause/ active?

I MUCH prefer this system. It is phenomenal.

Zukuu

Banned
Warm is the opposite of the Wet status. If you're wet, an effect that would normally just "chill" you (slowed down) will freeze you immediately. Further, you're 10% more resistant to Fire attacks but 20% less resistant to air (electro) attacks. Warm is the same for the Burning effect and Hydro attacks.

nbthedude

Turn based but from what I heard I expect it to be more like XCOM or Shadowrun Returns than this.

That sounds awesome too.

Actually I play Divinity kind of like Xcom. I use two main ranged character, one Wizard and one Witch and summon in my minions in front of me as far as possible to initiate battle. So I usually have a really wide field and retreat when necessary.

I really adore the way this game handles combat and how it just naturally initiates and how seamlessly the turn base fighting kicks in, even while your coop buddy may be running around town or whatever only to show up and join you mid battle. Major props to them for figuring all this out.

Sarcasm

Okay questions and spoilers:

I took the pet pal out of humor and it turned out to be useful...I used the smelly panties. Now I am afraid I sold the other items, can anybody tell me the name of these items? I am sure I can find them myself if I know the names.

VandalD

Where do you buy more geomancer spells?
Enchanter vendor in the town market. Edit: Scratch that. Arhu, upstairs from the captain's room.

I took the pet pal out of humor and it turned out to be useful...I used the smelly panties. Now I am afraid I sold the other items, can anybody tell me the name of these items? I am sure I can find them myself if I know the names.
I think there's a smelly coat and smelly scarf. They all have smelly in the name.

Zukuu

Banned
Where do you buy more geomancer spells?

I think where you buy Witchcraft books. 2nd floor of the inn.

Enchanter vendor in the town market.
That's hydro and aero.

Smelly XXX (jacket, socks, trunks(?))

Zukuu

Banned
Answer:
Socks and a jacket(term is different) are two others.
There is actually also a Smelly
Ring (which is in the inventory of the Mayor and requires a ridiculous high lockpicket skill, if it can actually be stollen)

Zeliard

I really adore the way this game handles combat and how it just naturally initiates and how seamlessly the turn base fighting kicks in, even while your coop buddy may be running around town or whatever only to show up and join you mid battle. Major props to them for figuring all this out.

The actual encounter design is great as well, on top of the strong core combat mechanics. Environmental triggers fit seamlessly into the scene, certain combat scenarios throw a nice mix of different enemy types at you, there are often natural chokepoints and various other bits of positioning to exploit, and so on.

It's also notable that mobs stronger than you on paper can still be defeated through intelligent tactical play, even on Hard. And the lack of level scaling is also of course a wonderful thing, both for combat and for exploration.

nbthedude

The actual encounter design is great as well, on top of the strong core combat mechanics. Environmental triggers fit seamlessly into the scene, certain combat scenarios throw a nice mix of different enemy types at you, there are often natural chokepoints and various other bits of positioning to exploit, and so on.

It's also notable that mobs that are notably stronger than you on paper can still be defeated through intelligent tactical play, even on Hard. And the lack of level scaling is also of course a wonderful thing, both for combat and for exploration.
Yeah. I just had a scenario with a bunch of wizards, archers and boars and I backed up around a bend up a hill so the distance guys couldn't hit me and I threw oil amd fire all the way up the hill behind me. Then rushed them with my knight when they were weakened after coming through the flames. The strategy worked. Awesome fight.

Zukuu

Banned
Just summoned Undead Warrior and Ice Elemental for the first time and both have over a 100hp less than the spider. Wtf... D: Warrior is doing slightly more damage and Elemental even less.

Sarcasm

Guess the items name don't ring a bell so I haven't sold them..guess I continue looking =D..

btw I tried crafting lockpicks but it says not enough I have like 5 nails and 2 hammers...what gives?

Veezy

que?
So, are the default builds for characters decent or should I design them up myself? Is there a decent build guide out there?

So, are the default builds for characters decent or should I design them up myself? Is there a decent build guide out there?

Do what you want. There are multiple difficulty options, a respec somewhere in the game, and companions/henchmen to fill in the gap in your party.

You'll be fine, no matter what you choose.

That said, you need the Pet Talk trait. Get it and be merry.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
ok so question about initiative.. I thought I remember reading there was a way to queue actions in combat...? So if my fighter goes before my witch, can I say queue my fighter's charge, THEN cast my witch's oath of consecration, after which my queued fighter attack executes with the oath applied? Or am I wrong and the character HAS TO execute all of their actions on their turn?

Not make or break.. I just thought I remembered reading that.

combat is so friggin sublime in this game. had they JUST released a brainless dungeon crawler with this combat engine, I almost believe all of the sites would have still graded that game highly just for the beauty of the rules engine.. that they actually have a fully interactive world and full blown RPG system on top of that. This game just never stops to amaze me. It almost feels like I'm right in the middle of "Oh man... I remember when [insert game] launched.. It was so unbelievable and mind blowing at the time. We hadn't seen anything like it in nearly forever.." etc etc. One of those anecdotes like Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, etc.

Damn.

ok so question about initiative.. I thought I remember reading there was a way to queue actions in combat...? So if my fighter goes before my witch, can I say queue my fighter's charge, THEN cast my witch's oath of consecration, after which my queued fighter attack executes with the oath applied? Or am I wrong and the character HAS TO execute all of their actions on their turn?

combat is so friggin sublime in this game. had they JUST released a brainless dungeon crawler with this combat engine, I almost believe all of the sites would have still graded that game highly just for the beauty of the rules engine.. that they actually have a fully interactive world and full blown RPG system on top of that. This game just never stops to amaze me. It almost feels like I'm right in the middle of "Oh man... I remember when [insert game] launched.. It was so unbelievable and mind blowing at the time. We hadn't seen anything like it in nearly forever.." etc etc. One of those anecdotes like Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, etc.

Damn.

I think the queueing works like: left click to attack, and then shift-left click to automatically attack again when the first animation finishes

Dipper145

Just got to the end of the church part, and... promptly got immediately killed by the big enemy there.

Like, first round on fire down to half health type deal. I don't really know what to do there, so I guess I'll try going to another area first and come back later.

Damn.

I recall a loading screen tip saying something hold "hold shift to queue up actions," but that might have been for out-of-combat movement only. I don't know how worthwhile it could possibly be in tactical combat.

And yeah, Larian said they aimed for a sort of "D&D adventure" with this game, and they abso-friggin'-lutely achieved it. Everything has come together to create a wholly sublime game, and so far, I'd go so far as to say a modern-day classic.

Santiako

Damn.

I drool thinking of the big ass dungeon mods that people will make at some point.

Zukuu

Banned
Does anyone knows if there is a character editor out yet? While turning Jahan into a hybrid archer was somewhat successful, I still want to shift a few points.

epmode

Everything has come together to create a wholly sublime game, and so far, I'd go so far as to say a modern-day classic.

It certainly looks that way. The best part is how it comes with such a brilliant editor. On day one, even! The other top-tier party-based RPGs aren't as friendly to modders (even though some great mods have been released).

Aeana

Does anyone knows if there is a character editor out yet? While turning Jahan into a hybrid archer was somewhat successful, I still want to shift a few points.

I thought you said playing hybrid characters was majorly gimping yourself.

Damn.

When in combat, you can delay your current character's turn by clicking the button on the far right. One of them is flee, the other is delay. This puts you at the end after everyone else.

Zukuu

Banned
I thought you said playing hybrid characters was majorly gimping yourself.
Hence my desire for a character editor.^^
Like I said, I want an Archer companion, since one isn't available yet, I made him into one. I don't want to miss out of his story (or more like the story of a companion in general),

Since he was already level 3 and a full mage, once he had enough dex it was surprisingly effective to still have access to teleport , rain and heal. However, it's not enough for more than that. Missing int takes its toll for the effectiveness of his spells and the missing points for a spell school does as well, making any non-low-level-spell unusable. Even on my pure mage, not focusing on a single spell school makes some spells unusable around level 7. (Strong regeneration requires a school level of 3(!) already). I wanted to focus on Witchcraft, Hydro and Aero, but that seems to have to wait for a bit and I'll only go for Hydro and Aero for now. Summoning Skeet warrior seems to be very bad. The Elementals are way better since their normal attacks aren't blocked by armor and they have a skill to boot. The warrior does more damage, but physical which ends up being less oevrall. No skills either. I already have the level 10 armored warrior which does have a skill, but dunno if that's worth to spec so heavily into witchcraft. Seems the +50% damage buff will be the only thing I'll be using for now. Later you get way more skill points, so maybe I'll invest then into it.

Salsa

I wish your inventory view allowed to see more items

I just run with Scarlett and im not big on swapping characters unless a specific skill is required or I need him/her to equip a specific item

which ends up with scarlett hogging shit. and I have a looot of stuff. scrolling is annoying

Mrg8523-

I've been stuck in this cave for the past hour.

I'm at the bottom of the pirate cave in the room with the switches. I can't find the last switch. I've searched and searched and searched and haven't been able to find it.

Zukuu

Banned
I've been stuck in this cave for the past hour.

I'm at the bottom of the pirate cave in the room with the switches. I can't find the last switch. I've searched and searched and searched and haven't been able to find it.

I've pushed all before I found it as well. It's located
at the south side (so not on the platform with all the switches) in the very corner left to the stairs leading down
. Hope that helps.

Top Bottom