• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Zakalwe

Banned
There's also an issue with just how easy it is. Gold and equipment are strewn everywhere, and hitting your ALT key makes the whole room light up. It addition to how it doesn't take any skill, it's like Larian are begging you to rob every townsperson blind. Makes it hard to play the good guy - or almost makes you feel like you're playing the game wrong.

But is it still viable to play the good guy? Does your ability to progress actually feel gimped if you don't?

The temptation is there to tempt you, if it's not required and simply makes it a little easier then it's your own fault if you can't resist! :p

v0mitg0d

1. Take what you want, and remember that even if you don't spec it there is almost always an option to do it.

Example: thieves make stealing more streamlined and open up a few more things such as pickpocketing and chests and locked doors, but everyone can steal effectively. And as character progression is open, you can start any class and put skills into the thieving stuff if you'd rather run something else at the start.

Same if you like the idea of burning stuff, no need to roll a fire mage as you can open the fire magic with any magic user, or use fire arrows on ranger, or scrolls for everyone else, or even ignite things by tossing a candle at them...

2. LIterally, whatever you want.

I would say that the only real talent that makes sense to get early on and seems obligatory to me is Pet Pal. Being able to converse with animals not only unlocks the (imo) funniest dialogue in the game, but opens up quest options and ways to solve quests you wouldn't have access to otherwise (you only need it on one character, and that character must be the one to speak to the animal).

3. It's not renegade/paragon. You get dialogue choices when certain events trigger, and your reaction to these level up things like Loyalty, Heartless, etc... these traits affect certain dialogue options.

You're free to go full out bad/evil of course, but the system allows for more grey areas if you want to explore those.

Helpful, thanks! :)

Serra

But is it still viable to play the good guy? Does your ability to progress actually feel gimped if you don't?

The temptation is there to tempt you, if it's not required and simply makes it a little easier then it's your own fault if you can't resist! :p

Its not required.

I'm definitely the wrong person to ask.

I'm struggling right now with the game and borderline ready to rage-quit, but I think if anything is hampering my progress it was my decision to go Lone Wolf. But yes, I do think if I were stealing everything left and right I would have slightly better gear. Or more importantly, elemental arrows.

Unfortunately the dialogue-heavy opening of the game is dissuading me to start over.

Chaos17

Ok, maybe I would dislike less (or not) the stealing in Divinity if there were no message like "you did a bad thing" or having bonus exp and getting bad rep, lol. I mean, it didn't bother me in Withcer >.>"

Like a few others, I'd say stealing is a boon, but not a necessity. It gives you extra gold, and like anything else, some extra sights to see, but so far none of the rewards have been gamechangers. (I'm sure there are some gamechangers for characters more focused on stealing, but that's not my path in my current run.)

To put this in perspective, one painting (worth about 650 gold) is a bit more than you'd need to buy one medium healing potion. Equipment roughly level 5 can cost anywhere between 500-3000 depending on its rarity and function, and if you truly need it you'll have plenty of gold from battles (since armour and weapons dropped by enemies can be sold for 200-300 gold for the most part, or much more if its a magical item.)

Similarly, the randomly-generated loot has been absolutely fine so far, because it allows for weighted drops to ensure that all of this game's playstyles are viable. No more "I chose crossbows as a weapon and the best one drops in the last five minutes of the game" malarky. Equal opportunity for all. Like anything in a video game, those that choose to abuse this mechanic will naturally receive the best results - but it is not necessary to succeed in the game.

After Zeliard's report of killing the level 6 orcs at level 3... I'm convinced that anything is possible. ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING.

You know one of things I love about this game.

The Pathfinding

Generally it's something that is largely ignored and is considered mundane.

Bear with me however. This sort of thing you can be a problem when it fails, especially being an issue in the old Infinite Engine games.

I've never seen a party member never get caught on terrain while moving across the map, and automatically walking around "dangerous" terrain...very pleasant.

The really impressive thing however, is seeing the enemy AI similarly react to the ever-changing battlefield. Finding the best routes to flank my party, or going the long way around to avoid a poison cloud--or fire elementals ignoring fiery terrain using their own immunity to take advantage of.

Great stuff.
I never thought about this, but it's completely true.

The AI's pathfinding is always aware of hazards - even when moving around in non-combat characters will avoid hazards if at all possible to reach their destination. NPCs will completely avoid hazards unless they've no choice or are already hit by it.

It might seem a little wonky sometimes, especially with fire, but that's because they can't see through the smoke and are forced to find a smoke-free place to attack from.

Zakalwe

Banned
I never thought about this, but it's completely true.

I agree too, it's something I noticed last night when my characters were weaving around poison clouds in the black cove while they auto piloted to the destination point.

One thing I've noticed though is that mines never seem to trip. I'm sure I've walked right over them a few times now and only had the character exclaim danger, but never an actual explosion.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I guess I just don't get it. Given my current frustration with this game I can only read that as 'cheesing' the AI mobs.

I've cleared out most of the area behind the town and am level 5, and right now the encounter I'm stuck on is 10 f'ing mobs, which are also level 5. 10 v 3 (one Lone Wolf). The Enraged Boars cause the most problems - poisoning and tons of HP. Even with ~80% hit percentages I still seem to miss a lot, all the while their archers are shooting me through the rocks (my poor attempt at positioning I guess). Poison resist scrolls are pretty worthless, as are most scrolls, since the only last 2 turns. Summoning my spider helps for a couple rounds since the AI seems to focus fire on that, but the 10 vs 3 steamroll is inevitable. I stun and freeze what I can, but pffft, their mage does the same. Which is kind of funny since it doesn't make my super-Source Hunter Adventure Party seem very special. Maybe these guys should save the universe instead. My gear seems alright guess - mostly of my level and blue with nice bonuses. That said I don't go around town stealing everything, so maybe I'm missing something better. Fighter, Wayfarer and Jahar Mage. Bums.

/rant

there are so so so many "small hidden" mechanics in this game. You actually mentioned "cheesing the AI" but honestly the AI is so well done that I dont really think there is a ton you can do to cheese it outside of how the system was designed to work. Some suggestions..

make sure you don't get flanked. Likewise especially if you are dealing with close ranged combat (which with the spider you definitely have one) make sure you are flanking. The defense penalty from being flanked is pretty huge on either side. Also the elemental system is an absolute must.

Prep the fight as much as you can. One of the companions (as an example) defaults to ice/rain/electricity. So I'll cast rain before the fight to cause wet and create puddles.. Then either electrify the puddles, or even poison them, then explode them, then explode the resulting gas.

Especially if you are majorly outnumbered, you have to look at each fight as to how you can affect MORE enemies than you are attacking with. A great 1-2 with Madora for example would be charge (hitting everything from point a to b) and then whirlwind hitting everything in a 3m radius. Also remember with the spider... it starts with I believe 10AP or something. so if you spend AP on movement of your witch first to get the casting raduis within enemy range, you can drop the spider right on an enemy and get two attacks with it the first round it's summoned.

Like a few others, I'd say stealing is a boon, but not a necessity. It gives you extra gold, and like anything else, some extra sights to see, but so far none of the rewards have been gamechangers. (I'm sure there are some gamechangers for characters more focused on stealing, but that's not my path in my current run.)

I would be curious to see the total value of everything in the first town. I mean because of the system, stealing isn't just about money. You can obviously barter/trade for the items you want also. Someone mentioned about 10K worth of gold in the first town which really given the price of spells and weapons is not that much. Now total amount of WORTH in the town when it comes to bartering might be much much much more... HOWEVER... you've now just spent how many hours robbing the town clean?!? I mean did you really give yourself a "leg up" or is it more like you just spent your money-making time stealing instead of questing? I simply haven't seen enough in this game so far to really feel thievery is as OP and broken as so many are claiming it to be.

I agree too, it's something I noticed last night when my characters were weaving around poison clouds in the black cove while they auto piloted to the destination point.

One thing I've noticed though is that mines never seem to trip. I'm sure I've walked right over them a few times now and only had the character exclaim danger, but never an actual explosion.

Yeah I think they're bugged. I've stacked items on them with nothing happening. One time it triggers like five minutes late and freaked me out, exploding a bunch of boxes that I left beside it in the distance.

I have also attacked them - in some cases they explode, in others they do not.

erragal

Not what I asked. :p

Clever Larian, balancing the game, allowing for role play in a sandbox, then tempting your virtuous warrior with easy pickings.

Who even says I'm virtuous? Your background is as a treasure hunter not a paladin. I think the assumption that you're defaulted into being any sort of a hero is premature.

I specifically refused to even allow Jahan join our party because he demanded I make no deals with demons. I can -guarentee- I will be making deals with demons if that time comes.

I'm am independent actor. Maybe my buddy is a klepto and I chat/barter while he steals...and I filch a few books/empty flasks/mushrooms myself that I deem necessary for the coming journey.

But why do I even have an attachment to these small town frontier bumpkins? I put back all the books in the Library because I liked Victoria. I convinced another thief not to steal because I wanted us to be the only game in town.

Side note: I do voices when reading the characters text out loud and my Eglander voice was literally spot on. He and the Fabulous Five guys are my favorite characters. Eglander's dialogue is really some of thr most fluid, poetic, well composed writing in an rpg ever. Yes superior to MCA's.

The roleplaying in this game is multi faceted. All of the traits give you incentives to potentially be both moral/immoral. Sometimes the supposedly 'moral' traits aren't the outcomes you prefer...and the game tests you as a player which you value. It's just so ingenious.

Also the game knows when you're being sneaky. That's why all those stealing co-op dialogues pop up from time to time. It's understood how people will behave...they even notice when one player is being a distraction. They then let you talk about it.

Really the best game I've played since System Shock 2... and its better than that. It's probably on track to pass X-com as the best game ever designed (for me, as a lover of true emergent narrative).

Hari Seldon

Is there anyone selling the open lock spell book in the first town? Lockpicks seem very hard to come by. I bought the 10 that the one vendor in the inn was selling but that is not enough.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
It makes me happy that this game is getting so much attention here. It makes me sad that I haven't had a chance to play it yet :(

Zakalwe

Banned
Who even says I'm virtuous? Your background is as a treasure hunter not a paladin. I think the assumption that you're defaulted into being any sort of a hero is premature.

I was referencing the people who claimed stealing was essential but they want to play a "good" character who wouldn't ever do it.

Of course role playing isn't limited to just that, and from what I've seen the game's sandbox allows you to explore role playing as deeply as the environment.

borghe

Is there anyone selling the open lock spell book in the first town? Lockpicks seem very hard to come by. I bought the 10 that the one vendor in the inn was selling but that is not enough.

you can make them by combining
a hammer and nine inch nails
but I don't know what crafting level you have to be. Definitely more than 2 as that's what I am and it yells at me saying my crafting isn't high enough.

erragal

All the value evaluations are spot on. Stealing isn't necessarily about it being the best use of your time to accrue resources. You could rush through quests and push to more loot heavy parts of the gane and be far wealthier with less time investment.

It's an option because the world exists to have options. My friend loves to open all the boxes and filch things but doesn't pickpocket anyone. I'll break down white doors but not red doors because I care about my reputation...whereas he doesn't.

It's just so dynamic. You also can be very well rewarded for doing tasks/quests for peoplr and exploring abandoned houses/basements.

I wonder what the co op dialogues for senseless murder of innocents are like...had anyone gone down that road?

Levyne

Banned
you can make them by combining
a hammer and nine inch nails
but I don't know what crafting level you have to be. Definitely more than 2 as that's what I am and it yells at me saying my crafting isn't high enough.

It's 3, finally was able to make a whole bunch.

erragal

I was referencing the people who claimed stealing was essential but they want to play a "good" character who wouldn't ever do it.

Of course role playing isn't limited to just that, and from what I've seen the game's sandbox allows you to explore role playing as deeply as the environment.

Oh yeah I wasn't trying to be negative. Just expand on your idea more with my own supporting experiences.

It's just really exciting how they used actual game mechanics to support roleplaying without trying to guide your way. Without ever closing off the traditional power gaming styles for others. Even power gaming requires you to at least examine yout behaviors to minmax...which is how you pull even a hardline mechanics only player into thinking about consequences/their characters role in the game world.

Burt

How is invisibility broken, exactly? Haven't messed around with it yet.

I remember thinking
Braccus
was hard... then I hit the map 2 bosses.

I just want to add, I really love the way magic staves work, especially the crazy pathing the projectile has.

THAT'S HOW YOU AIM MAGIC: almost barely.

v0mitg0d

All the value evaluations are spot on. Stealing isn't necessarily about it being the best use of your time to accrue resources. You could rush through quests and push to more loot heavy parts of the gane and be far wealthier with less time investment.

It's an option because the world exists to have options. My friend loves to open all the boxes and filch things but doesn't pickpocket anyone. I'll break down white doors but not red doors because I care about my reputation...whereas he doesn't.

It's just so dynamic. You also can be very well rewarded for doing tasks/quests for peoplr and exploring abandoned houses/basements.

I wonder what the co op dialogues for senseless murder of innocents are like...had anyone gone down that road?

That's the thing, I want to be kind and helpful...but I want resources and so stealing is a viable option.

I suppose it's a grey area if I play that way--which feels weird to steal and be helpful--but ultimately that's what Han Solo would do.

Started to get really into it now. Played 10 hours straight last night. Could really do with a manual though. Is there one? I didn't realise at first that I had to use 2 ability points to get lvl 2 in Withcraft, for example. And a few other things could've done with explaining.

It is awkward at first. Money is hard to find and I really didn't want to go around stealing. But a few levels in and I'm finding good gear (Legendary stuff) which is worth a fair bit.
Not fond of the traps on the whole. I have 9 in perception at lvl 7 and I barely see them in time. Can you lay traps yourself?

But the combat is good; tactical and intelligent. Not sure why my Steamcloud arrow doesn't do any damage even though it says it does but I do like the way you can control the battle.
Buffing my flame elemental is a lot of fun!

Zakalwe

Banned
I just want to add, I really love the way magic staves work, especially the crazy pathing the projectile has.

THAT'S HOW YOU AIM MAGIC: almost barely.

Ha, absolutely! It feels as though the projectile itself is struggling with the idea of hitting whatever it is you aimed at.

Oh yeah I wasn't trying to be negative. Just expand on your idea more with my own supporting experiences.

It's just really exciting how they used actual game mechanics to support roleplaying without trying to guide your way. Without ever closing off the traditional power gaming styles for others. Even power gaming requires you to at least examine your behaviors to minmax...which is how you pull even a hardline mechanics only player into thinking about consequences/their characters role in the game world.

Right, and I fully agree. The more you play the more you realise just how much attenton they've paid. With the mod tools they've really given us a gift here.

But the combat is good; tactical and intelligent. Not sure why my Steamcloud arrow doesn't do any damage even though it says it does but I do like the way you can control the battle.
!

I think that damage is for direct hits, not splash. If it does no dmg on direct hits for you then idk.

Also (if you're not already) be aware you can manipulate clouds...

Santiako

Started to get really into it now. Played 10 hours straight last night. Could really do with a manual though. Is there one? I didn't realise at first that I had to use 2 ability points to get lvl 2 in Withcraft, for example. And a few other things could've done with explaining.

It is awkward at first. Money is hard to find and I really didn't want to go around stealing. But a few levels in and I'm finding good gear (Legendary stuff) which is worth a fair bit.
Not fond of the traps on the whole. I have 9 in perception at lvl 7 and I barely see them in time. Can you lay traps yourself?

The cloud arrows do damage only if you hit the enemy with it, the cloud doesn't do damage.

erragal

That's the thing, I want to be kind and helpful...but I want resources and so stealing is a viable option.

I suppose it's a grey area if I play that way--which feels weird to steal and be helpful--but ultimately that's what Han Solo would do.

So now the game is forcing you into moral evaluations. Ethical dilemmas. You don't immediately get feedback rewarding you for your decisions...but you know they aren't only good.

Evaluate who you're stealing from...or even what? Is stealing every painting worth the extra money ...but maybe you're. -only- an art/treasurr thief. Maybe you're like my mage and steal high utility/low value things like alchemical ingredients and spell related items...but are willing to profit off your friend's petty larceny on some targets.

You can talk to people before stealing and maybe you like the person enough to not eant to rob them blind. On the other hand if they're a dick or cheating people it might justify your own street style justice.

It's actual roleplay instead of psychological incentive laden dialogue trees.

Leezard

I think the steam cloud and static cloud arrows only deal damage to your primary target, the cloud aoe by itself does not deal damage.

Taruranto

after some 20 hours, I can definitely say that the random loot is one of the biggest flaws of the game, it turns 90% of the loot into crap. there is no feeling of a reward for most quests because of this. I'm walking around with a level 5 robe with +1Speed on it, seriously? its also ugly as hell. hand based loot, at least for ornate chests and quest rewards could have been easily done and would have improved the game a lot.

non-exploitable random loot for boxes and barrels would have been fine.

Gotta agree, i heavily dislike random loot, all of it feel extremely generic and no "oh shit" moment like when you find the Celestial Fury in BG2.

It also prevents meta-gaming in successive play-through since you can't plan your character ahead.

JakeD

ok, i've been running around in circles for 2 hours trying to progress the "murder" quest....

i've dug up the body and found the sheep. i've talked to the mortician and read his book (then talked to him again about why he suspects who he suspects). i've talked to all 4 suspects, and stolen evelyn's dirty shirt and esmereldas dirty panties. i tried taking them to murphy but he just growls at me

what the heck am i supposed to do

Terra_Ex

ok, i've been running around in circles for 2 hours trying to progress the "murder" quest....

i've dug up the body and found the sheep. i've talked to the mortician and read his book (then talked to him again about why he suspects who he suspects). i've talked to all 4 suspects, and stolen evelyn's dirty shirt and esmereldas dirty panties. i tried taking them to murphy but he just growls at me

what the heck am i supposed to do
Have you properly explored Esmerelda's basement - the hams hanging there might be of some interest.

erragal

Where is the npc selling the Resurrect spellbook? I can't find it :(

There is none. Notice that resurrect scrolls appear in a separate part of the inventory as other spell scrolls with a different color coding. Presumably a type of magic the characters don't have access to.

As a side note for people reloading for shop inventory resets: that's actually a quick load bug specifically. Reloads aren't supposed to reset shopkeepers. Hopefully they patch that soon. Regular save/loading doesn't trigger that fortunately.

Shahadan

There is none. Notice that resurrect scrolls appear in a separate part of the inventory as other spell scrolls with a different color coding. Presumably a type of magic the characters don't have access to.

Oh ok, makes sense. I was mislead by old beta board messages. Thanks !

borghe

Gotta agree, i heavily dislike random loot, all of it feel extremely generic and no "oh shit" moment like when you find the Celestial Fury in BG2.

It also prevents meta-gaming in successive play-through since you can't plan your character ahead.

Someone posted that there are a few static drops. So while not like D&D games were a large chunk of named enemies had static drops, it does seem like we are still in for at least some "omfg!!!!" moments of super awesome static drops.

Always make sure to talk to the rats.

absolutely... if you have PetPals, use it! The animals are virtually an in-game hint system unto itself.

ElyrionX

Started playing this today after a GAFer was kind enough to gift me a copy.

Created a Wizard and Enchanter as my starting classes. Switched Geomancer to Aerothurge for my Wizard since I preferred my Wizard to just cast fire and ice spells. Not sure if it's the best idea for my two main characters to overlap in one skill.

How soon can I get companions and how many can I have?

borghe

How soon can I get companions and how many can I have?

you get two static companions within the first city (so as quickly as you can find them). Not sure when/where you can get henchman but if you have too much overlap with the companions and your PCs you can go that route also. You can have 4 members total in your party.

ElyrionX

you get two static companions within the first city (so as quickly as you can find them). Not sure when/where you can get henchman but if you have too much overlap with the companions and your PCs you can go that route also. You can have 4 members total in your party.

Hmmm. Thinking about it. I already have fire, air and healing. If I'm going for a warrior and a rogue to balance my party, I probably won't ever use Witchcraft and Geomancer. Any idea how many skills a character can max out in a full game?

Tenck

So any good poison resistance in the first town I can get a hold of? I'm trying to enter the northern cave, but pigs are fucking me up real badly. I've got a few necklaces and rings, but that isn't enough unfortunately.

NIN90

So this is something that has irked me for a while.
(please excuse the terrible Steam screenshot compression)
2014-07-03_00002avk67.jpg

Notice how Roderick's model overlaps with an enemy's model? This makes it downright impossible to actually target the enemy unless I find the exact pixel where it somehow doesn't overlap. I actually couldn't target the enemy for the life of me in this example.

So any good poison resistance in the first town I can get a hold of? I'm trying to enter the northern cave, but pigs are fucking me up real badly. I've got a few necklaces and rings, but that isn't enough unfortunately.

Arhun (the cat wizard) sells an "Immune to Poison" skill book. It's either Pyro- or Geomancer school. I don't remember.

Notice how Roderick's model overlaps with an enemy's model? This makes it downright impossible to actually target the enemy unless I find the exact pixel where it somehow doesn't overlap. I actually couldn't target the enemy for the life of me in this example.

Step away from them, or zoom in.

I've had situations where I've entirely overlapped with an enemy, and we couldn't do anything to eachother (minimum melee range is 1 space) and this fixed it.

You can target an enemy by clicking on his portrait ;)

#gamechangers

Santiako

You can target an enemy by clicking on his portrait ;)

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Anybody spoke to the grieving Orc at the beach?

I can't seem to find the grave with his brother's armor. I dag up one that was near a totem but the corpse only had a potion

Top Bottom