• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

FtHTiny

Anybody spoke to the grieving Orc at the beach?

I can't seem to find the grave with his brother's armor. I dag up one that was near a totem but the corpse only had a potion

If he attacked you like me,
it seems there is no way to find the grave anymore. You have to persuade him to show it to you.

Moff

Where is the npc selling the Resurrect spellbook? I can't find it :(

spellbooks at vendors are always random generated, you can quickload and have different ones.

but I dont think there is a resurrect spellbook, at least you cant craft them the way other spellbooks are crafted

My game now crashes right after the Larian logo thing. Get that initial loading screen, and when it gets halfway through I just get a crash to desktop. Anyone know how to solve this issue?

Anybody spoke to the grieving Orc at the beach?

I can't seem to find the grave with his brother's armor. I dag up one that was near a totem but the corpse only had a potion

I believe you have to have a high enough perception score to see the mound. Once you dig it up, he gets upset. I think there are conversation trees that might also get him to reveal it to you, but not sure about that.

Terra_Ex

it seems there is no way to find the grave anymore. You have to persuade him to show it to you.
There is, you just need to know the correct spot and then "equip" the shovel in your inventory to dig there, you don't actually have to perceive it to dig there.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold

I persuased him, he told me to follow him and when he crossed the pond he sat down and kept on grieving telling me that his brother's grave was right in front of him. However I see no grave there, the one nearby only has a potion. Maybe there's another one?

Gaz_RB

The orc grave:
Doesn't have an actual mound. It is across the pond to the left against the rock, slightly above the path with the mines. Select your shovel and dig up the rocky texture on the ground over there.

I persuased him, he told me to follow him and when he crossed the pond he sat down and kept on grieving telling me that his brother's grave was right in front of him. However I see no grave there, the one nearby only has a potion. Maybe there's another one?

It's there.
Just dig in front of him.

FtHTiny

There is, you just need to know the correct spot and then "equip" the shovel in your inventory to dig there, you don't actually have to perceive it to dig there.

Wow ok, i didn´t even know you could just randomly dig around. That´s what i get for not even trying.

Sub Zero

The orc grave:
Doesn't have an actual mound. It is across the pond to the left against the rock, slightly above the path with the mines. Select your shovel and dig up the rocky texture on the ground over there.

It's there.
Just dig in front of him.

Yeah, equipping the shovel seems to have done trick. Thanks :)

My game now crashes right after the Larian logo thing. Get that initial loading screen, and when it gets halfway through I just get a crash to desktop. Anyone know how to solve this issue?

First off, verify the game cache to ensure that the game is all working OK.

If it is still hapenning after verification, contact Larian's support.

Serra

Its kind of a shame you can't just custom create your entire party of four.

The combat system is so fantastic its kinda stupid that you are stuck with the 2 companions (whos personalities I hate) for a long time. I know there are henchmen you can get at some point but im 14 hours in and haven't found them.

Like I would love to have a party of: 2h warrior, ranger with nasty deeds, air + water mage and fire + geo mage.

I could get that combination with the companions but im already 14 hours in and kinda don't wanna start over.

Still waiting on my coop buddy to find some time to start playing. The game has been installed and eyeballing me since Monday.

Is there a decent amount of loot variety regarding cosmetics?

Zakalwe

Banned
btw what is the kickstarter code do?

I'd imagine various benefits based on you backing tier, access to exclusive items and things.

I saw this on KS ages ago, but ignored it because I was ignorant of Larian. Really annoyed at myself.

Still waiting on my coop buddy to find some time to start playing. The game has been installed and eyeballing me since Monday.

In and around the first town, most of the gear seems to be quite samey in terms of design. I've found a few unique lokoing weapons with particle effects, but so far the diversity in aesthetics hasn't been too great.

However, I'm still on the very first map and have been here for 25-30 hours... there are 4 more maps of this size, and 6 other smaller ones, so it could very well be that equipment varies in design from place to place.

There's a well found in the South East of Cyseal.
Speaking to him lets you teleport to another area, a snowy climate that you can't seem to access yet. There seems to be a large map for this area ready to be uncovered when progress allows, I'd imagine the gear here will reflect the climate? Hopefull ythe areas and equipment are diverse in this way.

Chaos17

Originally Posted by Taruranto

Gotta agree, i heavily dislike random loot, all of it feel extremely generic and no "oh shit" moment like when you find the Celestial Fury in BG2.
F5 will be become your best friend.
I'm full of blues, greens and legendaries items~

The combat system is so fantastic its kinda stupid that you are stuck with the 2 companions (whos personalities I hate) for a long time. I know there are henchmen you can get at some point but im 14 hours in and haven't found them.

Like I would love to have a party of: 2h warrior, ranger with nasty deeds, air + water mage and fire + geo mage.

I could get that combination with the companions but im already 14 hours in and kinda don't wanna start over.
You've to find 2 stones in city, when you find the second, the henchmen will be unlocked. You can't miss them, there're with the quests.

The first when is when investigating the murder.
The second is when you choose who to heal
You can recruit henchmen where is the IMP, a new room will be unlocked.

VandalD

Ended up trying to fight a guy that was 5 levels higher than me. It gained health against every element, so I couldn't hurt it with most magic. And because of the level difference, I had about a 15% chance to hit with melee. Guess I'll go that way later. Not sure how I could actually kill it, let alone kill it before it kills me.

It's difficult to see specifics of a piece of armour for the most part, colour is the big thing I notice. That said, one of the companions has a very unique piece of armour (with a ferret mantle) so look out for that. I don't think you can upgrade it unfortunately, which means it will become useless after an hour or two.

Variety has seemed OK so far, but I'm still very early in the game.

Also, moustaches clip through helmets, much to my Alex Louis Armstrong-moustached protagonist's dismay.

I agree. I hope that's modded in. OF course, my main reason for hoping for that is because I never grew up and would still name all the characters after my friends and cousins that I've played games with since I was a kid. :p

Durante

I'd imagine various benefits based on you backing tier, access to exclusive items and things.

I saw this on KS ages ago, but ignored it because I was ignorant of Larian. Really annoyed at myself.
You should have paid attention my thread about the KS ;)

nbthedude

I think it's kind of smart for the balance, though.

Me and my buddy went in as a Witch and a Wizard (cause they sounded cool and we had no idea what we were doing) and if it wasn't for the guranteed Knight compantion we'd have been fucked.

Having set character classes that join your two custom classes kind of assures a bit of balance and can allow them to create more challenging scenarios, I think, without necessarily fucking anyone over.

Haha, after restarting my initial playthrough when I realised I had built an identical two handed tank to Madora, I rerolled and this was exactly what I went with, those four right there.

nbthedude

I'm guilty too.

But you have to forgive me. There is a lot of rose tinted glasses stuff on the internet encouraging people to devote hundreds of hours of their life to something because some other dudes loved it when they were 12-15 (i.e. when had a lot of free time and not much critical discernment).

Having not played the earlier games, I had no real basis for determining this wouldn't be the same situition. I'm very glad I was wrong though. This is already my favorite game this year this side of Dark Souls 2.

Zakalwe

Banned
F5 will be become your best friend.
I'm full of blues, greens and legendaries items~

Weren't you complaining that stealing makes things too easy?

Shoulda. I will certainly pay more attention to KS projects based on this, and do some research into the history of the project leaders. Had I seen dev commentaries for previous Divinity games and their goals for this, I would have thrown a good amount of money their way.

Still, I'm doing my bit now. Chalk up another 4 people who now own the game who had no idea it existed before.

nbthedude

Weren't you complaining that stealing makes things too easy?

Shoulda. I will certainly pay more attention to KS projects based on this, and do some research into the history of the project leaders. Had I seen dev commentaries for previous Divinity games and their goals for this, I would have thrown a good amount of money their way.

Still, I'm doing my bit now. Chalk up another 4 people who now own the game who had no idea it existed before.

Ha.Granted I bought it cheap from a third party seller for around $22 a copy, but I made up for it kinda by buying it for four additional people who wouldn't have otherwise bought it and most of whom had no idea it even existed.

Sub Zero

Is there dual wielding in the game? One of my characters is a shadowblade and it will suck if I can't equip her with dual daggers

nbthedude

This may be a good game choice for my father. Does the game have lots of loot? I see crafting listed.

There is a good balanced amount, in my opinion. I hate it when games like Borderlands and Diablo spam so much random shit after fights that it becomes laborious to go through and sell and toss all the time.

This game has a much more balanced approach, I think. There is loot but in my experience you might come across 1-2 pieces ever couple of fights rather than a loot fountain of random crap always raining down on you.

Zakalwe

Banned
Ha.Granted I bought it cheap from a third party seller for around $22 a copy, but I made up for it kinda by buying it for four additional people who wouldn't have otherwise bought it and most of whom had no idea it even existed.

This kind of response to devs doing it right is exactly what the industry needs. I really hope this game has great legs, I'm aware some will buy into it because of the word of mouth hype and be turned off by what they perceive as archaic systems and lack of modern streamlining and guidance, but hopefully most will give it the time it needs and really delve into it.

Once this game has its hooks in, they're in deep.

This may be a good game choice for my father. Does the game have lots of loot? I see crafting listed.

Not as much as l3wt 3ngines like Diablo and Boarderlands, but deiniftely enough to lure you. It's better imo, because (as another user said) you don't have to sift through quite so much junk (there is still sifting).

I've found three legendary peices so far, and a bunch of rares and magical items. The real reward though is the exploration itself, and seeing how all the systems work together to create emergent gameplay and interactive encounters.

You are forgiven.

I'm not done yet!

Is there dual wielding in the game? One of my characters is a shadowblade and it will suck if I can't equip her with dual daggers

Not yet, mods might allow it. But low AP cost for daggers means multiple hits which is kind of the same thing anyway.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I think a lot of people will get this because of the hype on GAF, thats why I got it and I haven't regretted it.

Shahadan

Haha, I love how I was rewarded for scavaging the cemetery near the old church. Reading the tombs was hilarious as a bonus.

DSN2K

just had a decent game with Sarcasm. I died in the tutorial dungeon...shows how out of touch I am with these games but I'm liking it so far, by the way the game scales very well in 21:9.....looks beautiful and the extra screen space helps.

Dipper145

for the act one boss. I haven't fought
one of the minions he summons, which I assume is an optional side boss somewhere that I havent' found. I have fought the lighthouse demon. and the giant fire elemental guy, but I can't recall right now who the other one is, but where can I find him?
Going to take another crack at it now and see if I can do it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It's still the #1 seller on steam, good, goooooood.

for the act one boss. I haven't fought
one of the minions he summons, which I assume is an optional side boss somewhere that I havent' found. I have fought the lighthouse demon. and the giant fire elemental guy, but I can't recall right now who the other one is, but where can I find him?
Going to take another crack at it now and see if I can do it.

Bottom rightish. Near the 'trap house'

Chaos17

Weren't you complaining that stealing makes things too easy? .
I did but it's not my fault if the game do not give me quests with proper rewards ;P
I don't like this but that doesn't mean that I will skip it because I don't want to play the game on hard mode.
Also Larian studio should nerf this if they think that's an abuse to refresh loots.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I did but it's not my fault if the game do not give me quests with proper loots ;P

honestly, this game is very much what you decide to make of it. This is a great example. You don't like one aspect of it so use another aspect of it to make it as you like..

Noaloha

I did but it's not my fault if the game do not give me quests with proper rewards ;P
I don't like this but that doesn't mean that I will skip it because I don't want to play the game on hard mode.

Seeing as the game's difficulty is balanced around the randomised loot, by save-scumming the chest loot you're not avoiding playing on hard mode, you're exploiting the loot generation so you can play on easy mode. I'm not judging your playstyle at all, but I do think this is a valid disctinction to make.

Chaos17

Seeing as the game's difficulty is balanced around the randomised loot, by save-scumming the chest loot you're not avoiding playing on hard mode, you're exploiting the loot generation so you can play on easy mode. I'm not judging your playstyle at all, but I do think this is a valid disctinction to make.

honestly, this game is very much what you decide to make of it. This is a great example. You don't like one aspect of it so use another aspect of it to make it as you like..

Giving an option to do quests with rewards or go stealing will have not let good players with bad taste in the mouth and I will not have used the F5 strick. There is no bonus to play good guy. NPC will not offer you gift or more exp for not stealing their homes or not dig the grave of their loved one.

Also, I've the right to dislike A side of this game and you people seems to think tha tI'm disliking all the game, lol.
Wich is not the case.

Zakalwe

Banned

That's the difference between loot engines and proper sanboxes with emergent gameplay and interactivity, the actual gameplay is the real reward. :p

I'm playing on normal atm, is the only difference with hard greater enemy chance to hit and lower party chance to hit? That sounds more frustrating than fun... but I guess thoughtful spec and good use of buffs would counter it.

Saving a harder run for my second playthrough though.

Zeliard

I guess I just don't get it. Given my current frustration with this game I can only read that as 'cheesing' the AI mobs.

So, this is one of those level 3 party vs level 6 orc encounters I was talking about, on Hard. I had just turned to level 4 in that fight itself right after killing a couple of the orcs - whose charred remains you can see - but much of it was spent at level 3.

orcss8sr7.png

How did I win it? Not by cheesing; by using positioning and taking advantage of the layout of the battlefield. I won by making the center of that battlefield - the area separating my party from those hard-hitting mobs - a consistent death zone. I used Jahan to make it rain and electrify the field, thus creating a buffer between our two parties, as well as generally just shooting electricity at Wet enemies for a chance at stunning them.

I used my other mage to constantly summon the spider to serve as a highly effective distraction (he's a bit too squishy right now to serve as a true tank, but he's still immensely valuable just as an additional target). I sat Madora at the front of the party as I always do, so that if any mobs did get through, she'd smash them with her 2-hander. I'd also have her use that knockdown ability when she had it available, so that my archer could strike the enemy with 100% accuracy. Otherwise I stored AP up with her each turn so that she was able to strike 3 consecutive times once she did attack, as the remains of that one poor bastard in front of her can attest to.

The orc archer and orc mage in the back, I tried to consistently screw with through elemental arrows and the like. The static field and knockdown arrows in particular are just amazing, though I only had a couple of them. I also used teleportation once to transport an orc into the middle of an electrified field, stunning him; at that stage it takes 7 AP and has a fairly lengthy cooldown (something like 8 turns) so I couldn't use it much, but as I progress through the game it's going to get great use as a utility spell. The orc mage can also become distracted when you hit his other party members because he will spend some of his turns healing them, which is nice because he isn't lobbing bombs at you.

Against higher-level enemies, debilitating them is really the key as opposed to doing outright damage, because you can't afford to trade shots with them. Outside of Madora, who's my general damage-dealer, my party is generally focused on crowd control. In each fight, my general strategy is to keep the melee mobs away from me through any means possible, and once I'm comfortable with my position relative to them, I start laying in the damage.

there are so so so many "small hidden" mechanics in this game. You actually mentioned "cheesing the AI" but honestly the AI is so well done that I dont really think there is a ton you can do to cheese it outside of how the system was designed to work.

By "cheese" I meant that previous video posted, where the person stacked a bunch of barrels on a miniboss and pretty much one-shotted it. Or examples like that.

So I'll cast rain before the fight to cause wet and create puddles.. Then either electrify the puddles, or even poison them, then explode them, then explode the resulting gas.

Yeah, I try to do that. But those rain puddles don't even last 2 turns, do they? I'm pretty disappointed in the duration of some of that stuff. Summoning the spider beforehand helps a little - which I do when I can. So I am trying to utilze this stuff. In my last attempt at this group, I puddle-stunned like 4 of them - for the 2 turns it lasts. It helps, but I still lose. Just too many of them....

Especially if you are majorly outnumbered, you have to look at each fight as to how you can affect MORE enemies than you are attacking with..... whirlwind ..... .... the spider....

I'm doing all of that too. I don't think I'm and idiot and I'm pretty damn good at games, but this one is really giving me trouble. I want to love it though. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread - on paper I should love it....

Even though I really, really don't want to, I'm considering starting over without Lone Wolf.

So, this is one of those level 3 party vs level 6 orc encounters I was talking about, on Hard. I had just turned to level 4 in that fight itself right after killing a couple of the orcs - whose charred remains you can see - but much of it was spent at level 3.

orcss8sr7.png

How did I win it? Not by cheesing; by using positioning and taking advantage of the layout of the battlefield. I won by making the center of that battlefield - the area separating my party from those hard-hitting mobs - a consistent death zone. I used Jahan to make it rain and electrify the field, thus creating a buffer between our two parties, as well as generally just shooting electricity at Wet enemies for a chance at stunning them.

I used my other mage to constantly summon the spider to serve as a highly effective distraction (he's a bit too squishy right now to serve as a true tank, but he's still immensely valuable just as an additional target). I sat Madora at the front of the party as I always do, so that if any mobs did get through, she'd smash them with her 2-hander. I'd also have her use that knockdown ability when she had it available, so that my archer could strike the enemy with 100% accuracy. Otherwise I stored AP up with her each turn so that she was able to strike 3 consecutive times once she did attack, as the remains of that one poor bastard in front of her can attest to.

The orc archer and orch mage in the back, I tried to consistently screw with through elemental arrows and the like. The static field and knockdown arrows in particular are just amazing, though I only had a couple of them. I also used teleportation once to transport an orc into the middle of an electrified field, stunning him; at that stage it takes 7 AP and has a fairly lengthy cooldown (something like 8 turns) so I couldn't use it much, but as I progress through the game it's going to get great use as a utility spell. The orc mage can also become distracted when you hit his other party members because he will spend some of his turns healing them, which is nice because he isn't lobbing bombs at you.

Against higher-level enemies, debilitating them is really the key as opposed to doing outright damage, because you can't afford to trade shots with them. Outside of Madora, whose my general damage-dealer, my party is generally focused on crowd control. In each fight, my general strategy is to keep the melee mobs away from me through any means possible, and once I'm comfortable with my position relative to them, I start laying in the damage.

Dat feel when you accomplish something like this.

nbthedude

orcss8sr7.png

The orc archer and orch mage in the back, I tried to consistently screw with through elemental arrows and the like. The static field and knockdown arrows in particular are just amazing, though I only had a couple of them. I also used teleportation once to transport an orc into the middle of an electrified field, stunning him; at that stage it takes 7 AP and has a fairly lengthy cooldown (something like 8 turns) so I couldn't use it much, but as I progress through the game it's going to get great use as a utility spell. The orc mage can also become distracted when you hit his other party members because he will spend some of his turns healing them, which is nice because he isn't lobbing bombs at you.

Against higher-level enemies, debilitating them is really the key as opposed to doing outright damage, because you can't afford to trade shots with them. Outside of Madora, whose my general damage-dealer, my party is generally focused on crowd control. In each fight, my general strategy is to keep the melee mobs away from me through any means possible, and once I'm comfortable with my position relative to them, I start laying in the damage.

Very cool. Me and my buddy did somethign very similar last night. We were half way down a hill that curved to the left and all the enemies were at the bottom shooting us with arrows and mages that buffed tank like creatures and sent them towards us.

We died twice and finally beat them by retreating up the hill and dumping a bunch of oil and lighting it on fire. The enemies tried to go around it but we eventually managed to cover the whole damn area with oil on fire. Meanwhile while my buddy was oiling and firing evrything, I was slowing them down. When they arrived at the top, my tank was waiting for them to finish them off. Great fight.

Top Bottom