• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Santiako

Yesterday night I beat the big bad boss of "Act 1"
Braccus Rex and his boss henchmen
, that was intense. In the end I managed to keep all my characters alive and my Knight took the main guy by himself, he is a goddamned beast. Thank god for summons to take the attention of my ranged guys though.

I couldn't open the magical chest in the room so I just put the whole chest in my inventory until I can find a way to open it, I love that that is an option. Also, my knight is now even more of a beast with Braccus's Axe :D

ZoddGutts

I literally played the game since 9 am this morning.. and it's now 7 pm. At least 17-hours clocked and just beat
everlyn and some optional orc boss
. Game continues to deliver and to think that I've barely scratched the surface at this point. Starting to crave a respec for two of my created characters.. especially since I'm really starting to figure out the systems out now and my build right now feels kind of gimped compared to what it could be. Oh well too late to restart at this point.:p

Someone from Rpgcodex forum said that there is apparently a respec option in the hall of heroes when you have enough star stone. Not sure if it's true or if it's just for cosmetic only.

OmegaDL50

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-sin-larian-studios-fastest-selling-game-ever

""It's definitely the fastest-selling game we've ever published. The last figures I saw we were at 160,000. "

"Divinity: Original Sin costs $39.99. If it's sold 160,000 copies, that's $6.39m in revenue. Half that and we get €3.19m (£2.5m), which means the project is well on its way to breaking even."

"Larian is working on a hotfix for the game, as well as its first major patch, which will add new content."

Great news.. this game deserves it

I said this earlier in a previous post, but with this recent news it becomes even more true then ever before, and expanding on that.

Every time Larian's ambitions to do something great were halted by publisher concern that those ideas wouldn't be well received which forced Larian hands tied to the whims of publisher demands. (Divinity 2 is fine example of this, Anyone who owns the Director's Cut can watch the included developer interviews and see just how much content Larian wanted include to do yet was cut because of the publisher pushing them to get the game out of the door.)

I can't imagine what Larian would be forced to deal with if they didn't resort to crowd funding for Original Sin and instead be under the scrutiny of a publisher who wants to play it safe rather than artistic freedom for the sake of making an actual enjoyable product.

Well done, Larian. Congrats!

Really wanna buy this game ... But I know I don't have the time to play a new game right now AND I see that they're still patching stuff and such.

Guess I'll hold off on it til I have more free time and they crank out some more patches/ mods.

masterkajo

Hey quick question. Could someone point me in a direction where the coop is explained in detail? I am thinking of playing this game coop with my brother to get that old Baldur's Gate 2 coop feeling back when we covered the flat with LAN cables and it took us ages to get the connection going just so we could enjoy the game and slay Liches together.

The main question would be how characters are handled. Can I join my brother with my own charater? Would we have to coop exclusively or is it possible to single player a bit if one has to work and then join forces again?

Danneee

Ok, back in town licking my wounds, have to figure out where I can go.XD
Source Monster in the cave kicked my ass, going north with the undead swine is little bit too much to handle.
Seems everywhere I go I'm couple levels under everyone.

Don't worry about being one or two levels below. With a good strategy it shouldn't be a problem.

I can't imagine what Larian would be forced to deal with if they didn't resort to crowd funding for Original Sin and instead be under the scrutiny of a publisher who wants to play it safe rather than artistic freedom for the sake of making an actual enjoyable product.

Well done, Larian. Congrats!

They were already self publishing Dragon Commander well before kickstarter became a thing, so they'd probably be doing their own thing with whatever money they could find.

Durante

They were already self publishing Dragon Commander well before kickstarter became a thing, so they'd probably be doing their own thing with whatever money they could find.
Yeah, I think without the KS Divinity: OS would still have been a good (and conceptually very similar) game, just not nearly as good and polished as it ended up being.

Sarcasm

Hey quick question. Could someone point me in a direction where the coop is explained in detail? I am thinking of playing this game coop with my brother to get that old Baldur's Gate 2 coop feeling back when we covered the flat with LAN cables and it took us ages to get the connection going just so we could enjoy the game and slay Liches together.

The main question would be how characters are handled. Can I join my brother with my own charater? Would we have to coop exclusively or is it possible to single player a bit if one has to work and then join forces again?

Basically it works like this.

Who ever invites the other player IS the host. It is played on that host's profile/save. So you use his characters. You control can control 1 ~ 3 characters depending on how he assigned it in the ESC menu after joining.

Though thankfully you can keep profiles separate. In one profile, the host starts a new game and when he gets to the character creation screen, invites. Host makes one character while the invitee makes other.

Zakalwe

Banned

You can't take characters into other player's games.

When you join co-op, you take over the player character the host isn't controlling.

You can join the game at the character creation screen if you want to both create your characters.

The save files are stored on the host's machine, and you need to connect to their machine to access the game. Only the host is able to continue in SP while their partner is away. The co-op partner can drop in/out at any time.

Noaloha

It isn't a game where characters transfer across playthroughs. Everything in a playthrough is strictly contained within that save file only.

If the host has a co-op partner in her lobby at the point of New Game (ie. character creation), then you both create your own character, otherwise the host is just playing as normal in Single Player, creates both characters and can invite co-op players in to control the second main player protagonist whenever they fancy. If you share the creation process, the second character isn't tied to the other player in any way (they don't 'own' it, like it's tied to a Steam log-in or anything). You as the host are able to continue playing in single player controlling the whole party, inviting other, different players if you wish, whatever. Ultimately it's the host's game. Any co-op partners you invite are just guesting in your save file, controlling all aspects of the second 'main' character (including allocated NPC party member) but only doing so for the duration of your session.

Importantly, the game supports multiple profiles so you can have separate playthroughs running concurrently.

masterkajo

Basically it works like this.

Who ever invites the other player IS the host. It is played on that host's profile/save. So you use his characters. You control can control 1 ~ 3 characters depending on how he assigned it in the ESC menu after joining.

Though thankfully you can keep profiles separate. In one profile, the host starts a new game and when he gets to the character creation screen, invites. Host makes one character while the invitee makes other.

You can't take characters into other player's games.

When you join co-op, you take over the player character the host isn't controlling.

You can join the game at the character creation screen if you want to both create your characters.

The save files are stored on the host's machine, and you need to connect to their machine to access the game. Only the host is able to continue in SP while their partner is away. The co-op partner can drop in/out at any time.

It isn't a game where characters transfer across playthroughs. Everything in a playthrough is strictly contained within that save file only.

If the host has a co-op partner in her lobby at the point of New Game (ie. character creation), then you both create your own character, otherwise the host is just playing as normal in Single Player, creates both characters and can invite co-op players in to control the second main player protagonist whenever they fancy. If you share the creation process, the second character isn't tied to the other player in any way (they don't 'own' it, like it's tied to a Steam log-in or anything). You as the host are able to continue playing in single player controlling the whole party, inviting other, different players if you wish, whatever. Ultimately it's the host's game. Any co-op partners you invite are just guesting in your save file, controlling all aspects of the second 'main' character (including allocated NPC party member) but only doing so for the duration of your session.

Importantly, the game supports multiple profiles so you can have separate playthroughs running concurrently.

Thank you guys. That clears that up. That sounds about as good as it gets. I will invite my brother on character creation then and we will be playing together the whole time. Sounds good.

One last thing, if my brother is controlling the second main character and another party member, can he go wonder off shoping while I talk to people to finish a quest? Basically, can we do our own thing or has the party stick together?

Zakalwe

Banned
Thank you guys. That clears that up. That sounds about as good as it gets. I will invite my brother on character creation then and we will be playing together the whole time. Sounds good.

One last thing, if my brother is controlling the second main character and another party member, can he go wonder off shoping while I talk to people to finish a quest? Basically, can we do our own thing or has the party stick together?

You can do your own thing. If your partner initiates combat they'll go into turn mode, while you're free to wander around in real time. Moving close to the battle will sync you up if you want to give them a hand.

masterkajo

You can do your own thing. If your partner initiates combat they'll go into turn mode, while you're free to wander around in real time. Moving close to the battle will sync you up if you want to give them a hand.

Oh, cool thanks. That is awesome news. Really sounds like the perfect game for us. Will give my brother a call right now!!

Durante

I'm still impressed that they pulled this off without everything exploding.

2San

So what is a more natural way to play this game co-op? Having both players create their own character? Wouldn't that kinda mess with the story since you have less companion characters?

Durante

So what is a more natural way to play this game co-op. Having both players create their own character? On the other hand wouldn't that kinda mess with the story since you have less companion characters?
I think having each player create their own character is the most natural way. I don't really get what you mean by messing with the story?

2San

I think having each player create their own character is the most natural way. I don't really get what you mean by messing with the story?
Hmm I was thinking this game might be like dragon age where convo's change based on which characters you have in the party.

Can't wait till I can finally play this, I still have to finish my thesis. My brother and I have already bought it.

elyetis

Really loving the game, but I'm actually thinking about looking for a way to respec, even by 'cheating' to avoid making a choice between playing with a character I don't really like, or starting again wich would also punish my coop partner...

Zakalwe

Banned
Oh, cool thanks. That is awesome news. Really sounds like the perfect game for us. Will give my brother a call right now!!

Weclome to the party, pal!

I'm still impressed that they pulled this off without everything exploding.

I kind of wish the game would stop impressing me so much. Then I could spend less time on the forums exclaiming my adoration every time I find something new I love and more time actually playing.

So what is a more natural way to play this game co-op? Having both players create their own character? Wouldn't that kinda mess with the story since you have less companion characters?

When you play SP, you can either set an AI mode for the secondary character or make their conversation choices for them. When a partner joins they take that control.

The potential dialogue options are intact either way, and you can create the exact same parties as you can in SP with the same amount of companions.

Really loving the game, but I'm actually thinking about looking for a way to respec, even by 'cheating' to avoid making a choice between playing with a character I don't really like, or starting again wich would also punish my coop partner...

There's a repsec in game according to beta patch notes. Reports saying you gain access after finding a certain amount of a specific quest item. According to the info it is there, but I don't think anyone's released the information on how long it will take to access.

Moff

after some 20 hours, I can definitely say that the random loot is one of the biggest flaws of the game, it turns 90% of the loot into crap. there is no feeling of a reward for most quests because of this. I'm walking around with a level 5 robe with +1Speed on it, seriously? its also ugly as hell. hand based loot, at least for ornate chests and quest rewards could have been easily done and would have improved the game a lot.

non-exploitable random loot for boxes and barrels would have been fine.

2San

When you play SP, you can either set an AI mode for the secondary character or make their conversation choices for them. When a partner joins they take that control.

The potential dialogue options are intact either way, and you can create the exact same parties as you can in SP with the same amount of companions.
You have the exact same amount of companions, solo or coop.
Thanks for the additional clarification.

aravuus

after some 20 hours, I can definitely say that the random loot is one of the biggest flaws of the game, it turns 90% of the loot into crap. there is no feeling of a reward for most quests because of this. I'm walking around with a level 5 robe with +1Speed on it, seriously? its also ugly as hell. hand based loot, at least for ornate chests and quest rewards could have been easily done and would have improved the game a lot.

non-exploitable random loot for boxes and barrels would have been fine.

Yeah, definitely a glaring flaw, it really stands out since everything else about the game is so polished and well thought out. It would be a massive undertaking, but I hope someone mods every chest's content to be unique. I got a bunch of rares randomly from chests in the first 10 hours and really haven't changed any equipment around after that.

Minsc

Gold Member
Random loot combined with invisibility being broken beyond belief, along with thievery also being ~100% broken sounds a little rough, but all the other things really help those negatives.

I just hope there's not enemy scaling a la Oblivion though, that combined with completely unrestrained/wild random loot would seriously make the game a few notches worse for me.

elyetis

There's a repsec in game according to beta patch notes. Reports saying you gain access after finding a certain amount of a specific quest item. According to the info it is there, but I don't think anyone's released the information on how long it will take to access.
Yeah I've read about that, I'm guessing it's unlocked the same way as the ability to recruit henchmen, but given how no one seems to have reported when yo can do it, I sadly expect it to be very late in the game.

By the way what is the first thing to trigger the access to that place ? In my solo game I was getting access to the henchmen recruiting when
I got into the murder scene room
, but in my coop game, getting there only triggered the first teleport to
the obervatory
. What did I miss in my coop game ?

Speaking of henchmen, other than the fact you spend gold to recruit them, do they also level up when you play with them ?

Moff

I just hope there's not enemy scaling a la Oblivion though, that combined with completely unrestrained/wild random loot would seriously make the game a few notches worse for me.

there is no level scaling, I am not so sure its a really good thing though, because it definitely limits progression and freedom somewhat. since even 2 levels above you make encounters very hard you really cant go any other path than the one the game provides for you.

Leezard

Yeah I've read about that, I'm guessing it's unlocked the same way as the ability to recruit henchmen, but given how no one seems to have reported when yo can do it, I sadly expect it to be very late in the game.

By the way what is the first thing to trigger the access to that place ? In my solo game I was getting access to the henchmen recruiting when
I got into the murder scene room
, but in my coop game, getting there only triggered the first teleport to
the obervatory
. What did I miss in my coop game ?

Speaking of henchmen, other than the fact you spend gold to recruit them, do they also level up when you play with them ?
I think it just is when you find your first
star stone
. I got it in the apothecary first in my play.

Minsc

Gold Member
there is no level scaling, I am not so sure its a really good thing though, because it definitely limits progression and freedom somewhat. since even 2 levels above you make encounters very hard you really cant go any other path than the one the game provides for you.

If the battle system is as great as everyone says, winning harder battles would still be possible and quite fun, but require extremely good tactics (or abusing things like dropping barrels on people for 100 damage @ 2ap lol).

Plus to some extent, I'd rather see freedom limited by tougher enemies than a balanced/easy/broken experience for 100 hours through, which is usually what level scaling does.

M&MX definitely locks off areas of the game with near impossible battles at earlier levels, and I'm fine with that, more fun for me to return later and get through them.

aravuus

No RPG should ever suffer from level scaling imo. It only makes sense you can't beat some opponents at first.

Moff

I dislike level scaling in general, but the areas in original sin are so small and level differences are so important in combat that they make proress in the game almost linear.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member

Waaa What the...How..I mean...insane for...never done before..mind blown.

This is like classic board game D&D, must play ASAP with a CooP partner.

FACE

Banned
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-sin-larian-studios-fastest-selling-game-ever

""It's definitely the fastest-selling game we've ever published. The last figures I saw we were at 160,000. "

"Divinity: Original Sin costs $39.99. If it's sold 160,000 copies, that's $6.39m in revenue. Half that and we get €3.19m (£2.5m), which means the project is well on its way to breaking even."

"Larian is working on a hotfix for the game, as well as its first major patch, which will add new content."

Great news.. this game deserves it

I was really afraid that this game was going to bom, glad to see it wasn't the case.

Sarcasm

Question about skills, especially the magic ones. I was able to raise my cleric hydro..water magic to 2. Fast forward I read that I have to reach x amount to be able to cast two more spells from that school. Is that the only benefit from raising that ability? Feeling like I wasted two points.

HoosTrax

Do we know yet how big this game is, in terms of major overworld locations? I've only just now nearly finished exploring the first overworld map and I've seen a bit of the second.

FtHTiny

Question about skills, especially the magic ones. I was able to raise my cleric hydro..water magic to 2. Fast forward I read that I have to reach x amount to be able to cast two more spells from that school. Is that the only benefit from raising that ability? Feeling like I wasted two points.

Higher level spells would cost you more ap when you have hydro lvl 1. I think if you would use a lvl 4 hydro skill it would cost you 9 instead of 6 ap.

Moff

high level spells will cost more AP if you have a low level of its school.

Top Bottom