• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Shtpfrk

Neo Member
Yeah, I try to do that. But those rain puddles don't even last 2 turns, do they? I'm pretty disappointed in the duration of some of that stuff. Summoning the spider beforehand helps a little - which I do when I can. So I am trying to utilze this stuff. In my last attempt at this group, I puddle-stunned like 4 of them - for the 2 turns it lasts. It helps, but I still lose. Just too many of them...

Puddles tend to last longer if you keep them perpetually shocked, if that's not too "cheesy" for you.

So this is something that has irked me for a while.
(please excuse the terrible Steam screenshot compression)

Notice how Roderick's model overlaps with an enemy's model? This makes it downright impossible to actually target the enemy unless I find the exact pixel where it somehow doesn't overlap. I actually couldn't target the enemy for the life of me in this example.

Press B for an overhead camera during those moments.

Zakalwe

Banned
Against higher-level enemies, debilitating them is really the key as opposed to doing outright damage, because you can't afford to trade shots with them. Outside of Madora, whose my general damage-dealer, my party is generally focused on crowd control. In each fight, my general strategy is to keep the melee mobs away from me through any means possible, and once I'm comfortable with my position relative to them, I start laying in the damage.

This is how I take on most battles. I let the field set itself up, incapacitate priority targets or as many as possible, then whittle down. I've managed to scrape through some battles I probably shouldn't have any buisness being near, and I think it's great the difficulty is more based around your ability to think and plan than anything else.

It makes winning hugely satisfying.

By "cheese" I meant that previous video posted, where the person stacked a bunch of barrels on a miniboss and pretty much one-shotted it. Or examples like that.

I'd say that was more inginuity and planning than cheese, the sanbox nature means you could potentially use these kinds of tactics in many places in the game.

You could, in theory, carry a dozen barrels to
Rex's basement
and explode him too, but that would take a considerable amount of time, maybe just as long or longer than the actual fight, so I don't see how it would be cheesing when the amont of effort would be the same.

Of course there will be moments that are easier to set up than that, but it's still about recognising the exploit and planining it well, that the game allows for that kind of thinking is surely a good thing?

rybrad

I am loving this game, it is so hard waiting for my co-op partner to make it home sometimes. Between this and Might and Magic X, it has been a great year for old school style RPGs that I never played back in the day.

Is there a crafting list out anywhere that is comprehensive? I have been having fun experimenting with the crafting but inventory management is becoming an issue so I want to dump ingredients I won't ever use.

Speaking of inventory, what determines the amount of inventory space you have? I assumed it was fixed but it seems like I have gained a couple extra rows since I started.

erragal

Guess we should mention this every few pages: Lone Wolf is a pure difficulty increase. It will never replace the power of a separate actor. The game is balanced around a four person group so encounter sizes will seem quite overwhelming if you try to go double lone wolf.

It's not an impossibility but if you jump in on hard difficulty,dbl lone wolf protagonists you will be playing a very tough game. The difficulty will also sneak up on you because the first couple of hours are introductory for two people so you'll get a taste of feeling slightly overpowered with the additional activity...and then punched right in the face at level 6 content.

You have to be pretty honest about your strength in tactical combat games to tackle that challenge blind, particularly on hard.

Zukuu

Banned
I am loving this game, it is so hard waiting for my co-op partner to make it home sometimes. Between this and Might and Magic X, it has been a great year for old school style RPGs that I never played back in the day.

Is there a crafting list out anywhere that is comprehensive? I have been having fun experimenting with the crafting but inventory management is becoming an issue so I want to dump ingredients I won't ever use.

Speaking of inventory, what determines the amount of inventory space you have? I assumed it was fixed but it seems like I have gained a couple extra rows since I started.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/230230/discussions/4/522730702195328107/

The space is endless from what I've seen (backpacks too). It adds a new row when you put an item in the last row. You're only limited by your carry weight.

Noaloha

I believe it's unlimited space (the game will generate extra rows once you start filling up) but you're limited by weight allowances. So, strictly speaking, Strength (and one of the Talents) is what determines inventory space. Sort of.

Dipper145

Beat the act 1 boss... a funny thing happened
the fire elemental that you fight with him, I killed him right in the doorway, which the skeleton minion walked right through, took 5000 damage, and died. I eneded up winning the fight with my team on the other side of that doorway, so I had to use jahan's teleport ability to throw my characters into the room to loot it. And then I didn't have an unlock scroll to unlock what I assumed was the magical lock on the source hunter chest.. so I then realized.. that I can pick up chests. So now it's sitting in my inventory.

Such a good game.

Zukuu

Banned
What button am I pressing that's creating the aura around my characters?
That's too vague to answer. You have "highlight characters"-key, you can set up "circles around friendly targets" in the options (I've enabled that for enemies and it makes it way more clearly), or you can have enabled an aura effect like "Power / Precision Stance".

rybrad

http://steamcommunity.com/app/230230/discussions/4/522730702195328107/

The space is endless from what I've seen (backpacks too). It adds a new row when you put an item in the last row. You're only limited by your carry weight.

I believe it's unlimited space (the game will generate extra rows once you start filling up) but you're limited by weight allowances. So, strictly speaking, Strength (and one of the Talents) is what determines inventory space. Sort of.
Ah that makes a lot more sense now, thanks for the info!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
That's too vague to answer. You have "highlight characters"-key, you can set up "circles around friendly targets" in the options (I've enabled that for enemies and it makes it way more clearly), or you can have enabled an aura effect like "Power / Precision Stance".

It was the ~ key.

Also is it just me or am I just unable to find pants as loot?

Also where does the
fab five go to after I killed arhu's contraption?

Zukuu

Banned
How many Metal Chests are there on the grave yard?
I've dug out 4 and found a Metal Key in another, which opened one of the chest for yet another Metal Key. That key however, doesn't open any of the other chests. Is my game bugged or am I missing something?

Antiwhippy

They sod off. Dodgy bastards. No doubt we'll run into them later.

Haha, yeah, hopefully.

Also there are a lot of surreal, funny instances in this game.
I laughed at the burning chest which ran away, only to have a bomb skeleton at the end.

I teleported him away.

I read above that there is no resurrect spell book...but from searching the web others spoke of it in beta as a level 14 skill.

The reason I ask is I am afraid of running out of resurrect scrolls. I unfortunately have been using one per battle and I don't even know if they restock or are expensive to craft? I will be playing more carefully. but if someone can help me plan this I'd appreciate it. I find the difficulty even at normal hard, but fun and fair, except I am too used to the last few years of easy revival in games. Its been too long since I played BG2!

Antiwhippy

Pro tip, you can pick up all the elemental barrels.

I tend to keep 2-3 at hand for the higher level mobs, stealth around placing the barrels strategically, and then light them up with my archer to start the battle.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
How many Metal Chests are there on the grave yard?
I've dug out 4 and found a Metal Key in another, which opened one of the chest for yet another Metal Key. That key however, doesn't open any of the other chests. Is my game bugged or am I missing something?

You're missing a chest.

Chaos17

I just got a new update, Larian studio is busy with fixing bugs.
That's a good thing.
My game gone to 1.0.47 to 1.0.51~

I just got a new update, Larian studio is busy with fixing bugs.
That's a good thing.
My game gone to 1.0.47 to 1.0.51~

Notes:
Hello all,

We just updated the game to version 1.0.51.

+Fixes for German/French
+Fixed crash on talking to summoned pet (KS reward)
+Optimised terrain textures so they take less memory
+Modified loading code for 32 bit systems.

About the Global Chat: We switched it off for now as there was just a bit too much profanity and insulting, and while we have good hopes that it may get better if people read this this, we'll also install some proper moderation tools & processes. Once that's done, we'll switch it on again.

Note for 32 bit users: The problems you can experience are related to the game running out of memory which can be remedied by lowering the quality settings. We are working on optimising memory usage and will soon have a number of fixes for this. Until then, we recommend setting your texture quality to lowest. We know this is not cool, but solutions are on their way.

No surprise that global chat was a mess, but it's still a bit sad that people suck so much. I had it turned off anyway since I felt it ruined immersion.

Anyway to "sprint" my group walks so slow. Also my main 2 characters suck *Only level 2* but i picked up 2 new members that are level 3 and they are owning!

Zakalwe

Banned
Haha, yeah, hopefully.

Also there are a lot of surreal, funny instances in this game.
I laughed at the burning chest which ran away, only to have a bomb skeleton at the end.

I teleported him away.

I loved that part too. Little moments like these really add to the fun of exploring.

Much like the
crazy bastard in the cemetery who summons dozens of bomb skeles.

Casting rain on those guys gives them some amusing dialogue.

-

So the reason global chat's been down is because they actively disabled it due to idiots. I hadn't noticed a high user to idiot ratio, just the occasional moron CAPPING racial slurs. The majority of people seemed friendly and excited!

I usually turned it off anyway, but it was a nice feature. Patch notes on steam say there're working on solutions for anyone who cares

Edit: pesky ninjas

v0mitg0d

So now the game is forcing you into moral evaluations. Ethical dilemmas. You don't immediately get feedback rewarding you for your decisions...but you know they aren't only good.

Evaluate who you're stealing from...or even what? Is stealing every painting worth the extra money ...but maybe you're. -only- an art/treasurr thief. Maybe you're like my mage and steal high utility/low value things like alchemical ingredients and spell related items...but are willing to profit off your friend's petty larceny on some targets.

You can talk to people before stealing and maybe you like the person enough to not eant to rob them blind. On the other hand if they're a dick or cheating people it might justify your own street style justice.

It's actual roleplay instead of psychological incentive laden dialogue trees.

Love this answer!

Also, I'm in the tutorial dungeon and facing the gas cloud. The tutorial is suggesting I use something with fire, but I have a Knight and a Thief. I checked and I don't seem to have a fire arrow or spell--am I missing something?

Zakalwe

Banned
Love this answer!

Also, I'm in the tutorial dungeon and facing the gas cloud. The tutorial is suggesting I use something with fire, but I have a Knight and a Thief. I checked and I don't seem to have a fire arrow or spell--am I missing something?

Shouldn't that dungeon be in pitch darkness?

Why is it not?

*hint hint*

HoosTrax

I think I've come across the rare puzzle that seems really badly designed, in the second main area (past Silverglen).

In the initiation dungeon, the first test is to trigger four pressure plates by "balancing" the weights over them. Unless I missed something, there are no clues given as to what needs to be placed on each one, leaving it up to trial and error.

Pro tip, you can pick up all the elemental barrels.

I tend to keep 2-3 at hand for the higher level mobs, stealth around placing the barrels strategically, and then light them up with my archer to start the battle.

I have Medora carry oil barrels, then jahan teleport them on the incoming mobs to slow, and set up some scorched earth action. Of course, doesn't work with fire resistant mobs.

Valkyra

Banned
I think I've come across the rare puzzle that seems really badly designed, in the second main area (past Silverglen).

In the initiation dungeon, the first test is to trigger four pressure plates by "balancing" the weights over them. Unless I missed something, there are no clues given as to what needs to be placed on each one, leaving it up to trial and error.

If you really want the answer I'll give it to you, otherwise keep using random things till you get a sign, then base the rest of the puzzle off the info you gather from that. Remember everything has a value and counts.

Zukuu

Banned
If I remember correctly, there are 2 by where you enter in the northwest, 1 northish, 1 southeast, 1 south/southwest close to the church entrance.
I just found it. It was hidden behind a tree so it was unclickable without moving the camera around.

v0mitg0d

How does perception work? My thief has the higher perception rating, but I want to lead with my Knight just in case there's a trap or trouble. Does perception work for the group and utilize whomever has the highest rating or do I actually have to be controlling the character?

DSN2K

game is pretty in 21:9

1sT.jpg

2sT.jpg

Sevenfold

Notes:

No surprise that global chat was a mess, but it's still a bit sad that people suck so much. I had it turned off anyway since I felt it ruined immersion.

First thing I did was minimise chat. It has no place in my single player rpg :)
This game is stealing all my thoughts.

Valkyra

Banned
How does perception work? My thief has the higher perception rating, but I want to lead with my Knight just in case there's a trap or trouble. Does perception work for the group and utilize whomever has the highest rating or do I actually have to be controlling the character?

They don't have to be on point, they'll point the traps out to you verbally. Having them closer would help but I'm hoping higher perception would let them see it further away, the auto follow formations seem close enough regardless long as you aren't auto walking long distances without paying attention.

Top Bottom