• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

HoosTrax

If you really want the answer I'll give it to you, otherwise keep using random things till you get a sign, then base the rest of the puzzle off the info you gather from that. Remember everything has a value and counts.
You're missing my point; I'm not asking for the solution since that's easy enough to Google. Unless I'm missing something, it just doesn't seem like a well designed puzzle that has a logical solution or one that can be figured out through clues.

I'm enjoying the game so far but I feel a little screwed a few hours in due to me not having a rogue in my party. Are there any suitable companions in the first town?

ZoddGutts

My game now crashes right after the Larian logo thing. Get that initial loading screen, and when it gets halfway through I just get a crash to desktop. Anyone know how to solve this issue?

Make sure the refresh rate on your monitor is set to 60HZ if it's higher or lower it tends to cause problems to this game.

Noaloha

How does perception work? My thief has the higher perception rating, but I want to lead with my Knight just in case there's a trap or trouble. Does perception work for the group and utilize whomever has the highest rating or do I actually have to be controlling the character?

I think everything is 'selected character only'. Perception bonuses, Bartering reductions, Pet Pal, etc.etc.

EDIT: disregard the above, Valkyra's correct. I was lumping Perception into social bonuses. Oops.

Sentenza

I think everything is 'selected character only'. Perception bonuses, Bartering reductions, Pet Pal, etc.etc.
Well, sort of.
Perception works with a range check. Even if you are selecting one character with low PER, if another one with a high value is close enough he/she could still notice something in the surrounding area.

Valkyra

Banned
Not sure if my game has the worse RNG or what, but I'm playing the whole game co-op and since my partner uses water, air along with the story mage companion he's really not compatible with my fire, earth main and hinders the story fighter companion with frozen status.

My guess is blunt weapons would at least help her deal damage to frozen status but I haven't seen any blunt weapons till mid teens. Also unlock scrolls feel like they became super rare.

Noaloha

Well, sort of.
Perception works with a range check. Even if you are selecting one character with low PER, if another one with a high value is close enough he/she could still notice something in the surrounding area.

Yeah, I got myself mixed up and wasn't making distinctions between the various bonuses which Perception gives. The ability to spot better dialogue options was foremost in my mind and I didn't separate them out (I'm pretty certain this is selected character only).

I guess that the same applies then to the increased hearing and sight range which Perception grants in addition to increased trap-spotting and secret-finding.

matmanx1

Well, this game is absolutely terrible for a guy who tries to limit his playtime to one hour or less sessions. So much to see, so much to do! I literally had to tear myself away from the keyboard last night so I could go to bed at a decent hour. This is a dangerous, dangerous game.

Shahadan

I have to go to the second region to
find "hexagonal" thing ot open the barrier under the church right?

Or am I missing something?

Shahadan

you are missing something

evelyn drops that object

Argh, that was my worst fear...having to search for something in my inventory. I need to sell a lot of things :lol:

Thanks! It's the only thing I have left to do and was eager to move on to the second map.

So we have 3 different ability bars at the bottom. Is there a way to move a spell from one to another? I just lost a spell trying to move it. If you lose a spell, can you get it back or is it like unlearning it?

Alright, so I am on the fence about getting the game because I am a little confused about how the co-op works. I would love to play this with my fiance, but in reading over how the co-op works it seems that if she joins my game she controls my other character in the game, not bringing in her character from her game. So, ok that's all good, but I know she isn't going to want to play if she isn't playing with me, so what's the point of having her have a separate character and game going on at the same time? Would it be better to just have her sit with me while I create my character and she can design the other character to her liking since that is the one she will be playing? Anybody been playing co-op with their significant others?

Decado

I've cleared out most of the area behind the town and am level 5, and right now the encounter I'm stuck on is 10 f'ing mobs, which are also level 5. 10 v 3 (one Lone Wolf).

/rant
I just beat that encounter last night with my lvl 4 party (first try). Must have taken close to 45 min. Party was one Mage, one battle Mage (useless since his spell selection is poor) and two fighters.

Fire and oil is your friend. Taking a burning patch of ground and expanding it with the oil spell is one of my favourite tactics. I created a fire barrier that severely weakened most of the mob, and from there it was just a slog with some carful tactics.

So we have 3 different ability bars at the bottom. Is there a way to move a spell from one to another? I just lost a spell trying to move it. If you lose a spell, can you get it back or is it like unlearning it?

Hit K to open your skills list. They're all there. Or the little button near your characters portrait should do.

Shtpfrk

Neo Member
Alright, so I am on the fence about getting the game because I am a little confused about how the co-op works. I would love to play this with my fiance, but in reading over how the co-op works it seems that if she joins my game she controls my other character in the game, not bringing in her character from her game. So, ok that's all good, but I know she isn't going to want to play if she isn't playing with me, so what's the point of having her have a separate character and game going on at the same time? Would it be better to just have her sit with me while I create my character and she can design the other character to her liking since that is the one she will be playing? Anybody been playing co-op with their significant others?

She can join in at character creatIon. You can hit escape and assign characters if you're not fond of what it automatically assigns.

Is there a way to autosort your inventory? Use an item which creates a pocket so I'm never sure where new items end up.

Edit: Ah ok, you just have to use the sort option every now and again.

Divinity: Original Sin has too much attention to detail; it makes other games look bad.

I'd give examples, but, I find that half the fun and joy is discovering them on your own. So, I'd rather not spoil that funjoy!

Well, this game is absolutely terrible[...]

'K, I'm lighting my torch and grabbing my pitchfork after I make this post.

I'll see you later-

[...]for a guy who tries to limit his playtime to one hour or less sessions. So much to see, so much to do! I literally had to tear myself away from the keyboard last night so I could go to bed at a decent hour. This is a dangerous, dangerous game.

...Oh.

Carry on.

Edit: A general tip, but I'd recommend against limping your way through combat and using 2 or more revive scrolls in a battle, because dead allies receive NO experience. Since levels are so handy, it can be a major disadvantage to have even a single character, let alone multiple characters, lose out on experience. It could potentially create a snowball effect where one less effective member of your party is killed into irrelevance.

Eknots

Has anyone gotten 4 player co-op working well for the campaign? Interesting in picking this game up with 3 friends.

Fuuuuck, can't stop playing this game. Combat is so brilliant. Utter tactical, but simultaneously the most spontaneous thing ever. So many times I forget I'm standing in a puddle right as the enemy mage fires off the lightning spell, or the opposite, that golden moment everything stops and you realise you can actually pull off the most wicked chain reaction and wipe the entire enemy out. Usually combat/fighting in the bane for me in these games, something to struggle through to enjoy the actual world and exploration. There is a synergy here, between environment, combat, story, and character progression that is brutally rare. Such a simple logical physics/value system underpinning it all but man, it all just works. More the shame I'm entirely missing uot on the co-op element, I bet with it onto of all that you can pull out some awesome tactics, naughty skill playing and some hilarious griefing of each other.

Decado

Do attribute requirements for equipment continue to ramp up? I'm trying to deck out my battle Mage in heavier armour (I assume no spell failure), but he isn't strong enough for what I've come across.

Also, are there any throwing weapons and weapons with greater reach?

Santiako

Do attribute requirements for equipment continue to ramp up? I'm trying to deck out my battle Mage in heavier armour (I assume no spell failure), but he isn't strong enough for what I've come across.

Yeah, I found some stuff that requires 12 str, so hybrid characters may have problems to keep up with the requirements.

Far as I can tell, there's three equipment lines, outlined as follows:
  • Dexterity, for leather armours, back-stabbing one-handed weapons, and ranged projectile weapons.
  • Intelligence, for cloth armours, and staves.
  • Strength, for metal armours, two-handed melee weapons, and one-handed melee weapons (incapable of backstabbing).
Their attribute requirement is based on their level, starts at 5, and the highest I've seen is 12 for some level 7 (I think) metal armour.

So, yes, it continues to ramp up. And If you lack the proper attribute, you cannot use the item at all.

Also, I've never seen a hybrid item requiring more than one attribute, or a high-level item without any attribute requirement.

I wouldn't recommend heavy armour for a spellcaster, if only because of the spectacularly low level of mobility you'll have. Metal armours reduce mobility, while cloth and leather armours increase mobility. (Mobility is how far you can move with one action point, FYI.)

Well, this game is absolutely terrible for a guy who tries to limit his playtime to one hour or less sessions. So much to see, so much to do! I literally had to tear myself away from the keyboard last night so I could go to bed at a decent hour. This is a dangerous, dangerous game.

Yeah my brain felt like mush after binging last night. Haven't been this sucked into an rpg since Skyrim, and before that probably BG2 for a proper crpg ;) I was initially frustrated how underpowered I felt starting out (which is how you feel in BG games anyhow at the beginning), but after actually fighting in an area properly scaled for my level lol I'm finally getting the hang of things. Btw...I love rain. It is my bestest friend...until I meet some water and/or lightning based creatures that is :p

Shtpfrk

Neo Member
Yeah my brain felt like mush after binging last night. Haven't been this sucked into an rpg since Skyrim, and before that probably BG2 for a proper crpg ;) I was initially frustrated how underpowered I felt starting out (which is how you feel in BG games anyhow at the beginning), but after actually fighting in an area properly scaled for my level lol I'm finally getting the hang of things. Btw...I love rain. It is my bestest friend...until I meet some water and/or lightning based creatures that is :p

I love rain. I don't love casting rain on a point and watching it spread under my feet instead.

Decado

Far as I can tell, there's three equipment lines, outlined as follows:

I wouldn't recommend heavy armour for a spellcaster, if only because of the spectacularly low level of mobility you'll have. Metal armours reduce mobility, while cloth and leather armours increase mobility. (Mobility is how far you can move with one action point, FYI.)
Thanks, Lurker.

My battle Mage is more a utility protector to my traditional Mage. My friend is playing two fighters. Battle Mage is the buffer with some complimentary skills. He doesn't need to venture far.

Will be hard to get enough strength to allow him to hit anything and wear good armour, though. Int isn't as important for him as for my pure Mage.

Btw, have you noticed whether int impacts summoned creatures and buff spells at all?

Edit: So no throwing weapons? :(

Burt

There is a tier 2 metal/mail armor that's generally a few points lower in terms of requirements, not as good though obviously

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone gotten 4 player co-op working well for the campaign? Interesting in picking this game up with 3 friends.

Larian played around with a internal mod that allowed it, it functions generally well, but only two people are involved in the story dialogue and choices.

Top Bottom