• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: OS - EE |OT| No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

Is glass cannon still good even with the nerf? Trying to decide whether to plan to copy my old builds, lol.

Edit: Why'd they get rid of the option to choose your starting clothing? Or am I misremembering?

epmode

Welp, characters created at last: Lone Wolfs mage and 2-handed melee on Tactician mode. Let's see what happens.
I'll die.

Dat swag.

qbnuuke.png

Haha, my guy looks almost identical. I use a slightly bushier mustache though!

Edit: Why'd they get rid of the option to choose your starting clothing? Or am I misremembering?

You are. Starting clothing/equipment was always determined by starting class.

Is glass cannon still good even with the nerf? Trying to decide whether to plan to copy my old builds, lol.

Starting clothing? You mean your gear or you underwear. Because both are the same way from the vanilla game: You're gear is tied to your starting class and you can mildly change you underwear.

Sera O

Banned
Can someone who has got their mitts on a console copy let me know whether it has that tiny fixed-size text issue that sometimes happens with PC game ports?

skyhaven

Neo Member
I am a cheap bastard.
What are some OP or abusable/broken skills/tactics/classes/anything?

Starting Gear Pick: Inquisitor
Speed 7
Dexterity 8
Dual Wield 2
Hydromancy 1
Scoundrel 1

Talent:
Far Out Man
Know it all

Skillpicks:
Scoundrel - Hide in Shadow
Scoundrel - Fast Track
Hydromancy - Regeneration

Combat tactics. Start fight. Fast Track. Hide in Shadow. Re-position. Unload dual wield wand at 4 AP per shot. If you reserve the right amount of AP, you can fire 3x in one turn and these cannot miss unlike melee/bow attacks. They also have a chance to apply elemental effect like electric stun, fire burn. So be careful when you fight on water puddle.

Sample combat video here

Ourobolus

Banned
Man, loving it so far. Totally forgot to bring a healing spell for the first fights in Tactician mode so those were fun. Made a mage and a rogue. Dual wielding seems nice, but 4 AP to attack at the start is rough. Hopefully I can level it up quickly to drop that down.

Picked up Bairdotr and Madora to complement for now...we'll see how it goes.

REALLY pissed off that Boulder Bash no longer does knockdown. That was one of my go-to spells originally. Oil is nice, but not nearly as good of a status.

Valice

Scoundrel
Dual Wielding 2
Scoundrel 1
Sneaking 1

5 Strength
8 Dexterity
5 Intelligence
6 Constitution
7 Speed
5 Perception

Backstabbing
Bully

Ouro
Inquisitor
Wand 1
Geomancy 1
Pyrokinetic 1
Witchcraft 1

Boulder Bash
Oath of Desecration
Flare

5 Strength
5 Dexterity
8 Intelligence
5 Constitution
7 Speed
5 Perception

Far Out Man
Pet Pal

UberLevi

Decided to go with a battlemage style build. A sword in one hand and a wand in the other. Tri-building into Fire, Water, and Air with the Lone Wolf talent.

I'm liking some of the changes so far. There's a couple of new abilities that I really like, but I've only made it to level 5, so there's probably a lot more I haven't seen yet.

skyhaven

Neo Member
Well if you boulder and have the ranger drop a fire arrow there...it gets nicer.
Last time was too damn good. Knockdown, Poison ooze, one fire detonator later and people explode. Dead.

bounchfx

played about three hours today, love the improvements so far. Using my xbone controller on pc, they did a real slick job with the functionality and interface. It's great

first time I rolled a ranger with geomancy and warrior/fire madora. this time I'm doing fire/geo/water mage with the new rogue AI. I think I'm gonna give him wind magic.

tactician mode as well. Super awesome. Love this game!

Numb

Starting Gear Pick: Inquisitor
Speed 7
Dexterity 8
Dual Wield 2
Hydromancy 1
Scoundrel 1

Talent:
Far Out Man
Know it all

Skillpicks:
Scoundrel - Hide in Shadow
Scoundrel - Fast Track
Hydromancy - Regeneration

Combat tactics. Start fight. Fast Track. Hide in Shadow. Re-position. Unload dual wield wand at 4 AP per shot. If you reserve the right amount of AP, you can fire 3x in one turn and these cannot miss unlike melee/bow attacks. They also have a chance to apply elemental effect like electric stun, fire burn. So be careful when you fight on water puddle.

Sample combat video here
Thanks man.

Managed to alert the enemies and move my ranger back before combat iniated which meant the poison grenade never got used. Only took ten damage!

Does anyone else have the issue where the game fails to launch? A friend has this issue and looking at the steam forums so do some other people. No one has come up with a solution there so I wanted to see if anyone at gaf might have one.

Does your friend have a DX11 card and is also on a 64-bit OS? Game won't work at all without those requirements. Saw someone on Reddit who had a similar complaint because they lacked a DX11 GPU so the game may not correctly message to the user in this case what happened.

If that's not the case, other things I've seen people do to solve it:
- Restart Steam / PC
- Verify game cache
- Uninstall / reinstall the game
- Try playing with compatibility mode settings

If none of those work, then you'll likely need to have him/her contact support from Larian.

NG28

Is there no toggle for always run in this game? Its kind of getting on my nerves, enough so that I might try out my controller and see how that goes.

Ourobolus

Banned
Well if you boulder and have the ranger drop a fire arrow there...it gets nicer.
Last time was too damn good. Knockdown, Poison ooze, one fire detonator later and people explode. Dead.

Oh, I know. I have a fire wand on my mage and that helps. Still. Would rather have knockdown. :p

epmode

So for anyone that hasn't already played the game, you'll get a set of crystals early on that allows the holder of one to teleport directly to the other. It may just seem like a good time saver until you realize that it also works in combat. Get creative and you can do some crazy stuff.

Best combat system ever.

I have only played about 3 hours so far but it already seems to be the best game I have played all year. I hope it holds up as it has started off great. The initial difficulty has forced me to retry areas and come up with some creative solutions. I really hope more games like this end up on consoles. Please do up vote this on your PS4 dash guys.

What's the word on wands and dual-wielding? Are wands basically those staffs mages had in the original game that shot out generic magic missles? Can you dual wield weapons? How viable is to make a double 1hsword wielding guy or gal?

So for anyone that hasn't already played the game, you'll get a set of crystals early on that allows the holder of one to teleport directly to the other. It may just seem like a good time saver until you realize that it also works in combat. Get creative and you can do some crazy stuff.

Best combat system ever.

Wow. I never thought of doing that in the original game.

Ourobolus

Banned
I am enjoying the changes that Tactician mode are adding. The original game was pretty much simple to steamroll after a playthrough, so I'm glad for the additions. The first fight, even, required me to think a bit more tactically.

What's the word on wands and dual-wielding? Are wands basically those staffs mages had in the original game that shot out generic magic missles? Can you dual wield weapons? How viable is to make a double 1hsword wielding guy or gal?

You can dual-wield wands, though I'm not sure of the utility. I need as many skill points as possible for the spell schools, so I don't want to have to put points in Wand AND Dual-Wielding.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Um, okay. I'm really tired so I'll just ask this about the tutorial dungeon. The exit is an Ancient Stone Tablet. It's locked. Is there a way to open this? Lockpicking was too low. Wondering if this was changed or something from the original game (since looking at videos of the original had a normal stone tablet). Am I going nuts here? I bet I missed something.

I'm tired. =(

Corpekata

Banned

Best combat system ever.

Conversely, also remember your combat skills can be used to solve puzzles and whatnot. Treasure chest out of reach? Teleport some hapless party member to it to collect the goods.

Um, okay. I'm really tired so I'll just ask this about the tutorial dungeon. The exit is an Ancient Stone Tablet. It's locked. Is there a way to open this? Lockpicking was too low. Wondering if this was changed or something from the original game (since looking at videos of the original had a normal stone tablet). Am I going nuts here? I bet I missed something.

I'm tired. =(

There's a key you should have looted near the boss.

Im having an issue, my friend is playing couch co-op with me, and for what ever reason, she can't move her camera, but I can while in split screen.

goober

Crazy how much better this runs. Even a cheaper laptop with a 940m can run this at Ultra, 1600x900 at 30 FPS (may have took shadows down a notch or disable ambient occlusion) where the original struggled with Medium.

Also PS4 buttons show natively. Do wonder if they plan for native Steam Controller support though.

This is what I wanted to hear! Optimization for laptops is always nice.

Wow. I never thought of doing that in the original game.

Wands are better than staves imo because being 1H means you can also use a shield, which if you drop 1 or 2points will give you a very fair amount of block, making your mages a ton tankier(especially useful for tactician). They also give you access to spells which I'm not sure staves did, though they're charge based and not sure how you recharge them(probably crafting, but didn't get too far yet).

Dual Wield seems extremely strong for damage. With only 2points in it, you reduce the dmg penalty to 20%(but you basically double your base damage since you have 2weapons) and you reduce the AP by 2, which if you're using daggers for example means it goes from 6 to 4. If you assume similar daggers, that means you pay 33% more AP to do 60% more damage per hit, which is a very fair trade, and the more points you put into it the better. I'm unsure if the higher tier reduce AP by 3, if it does though it'd eventually basically double your damage, at the cost of not having a shield.

Dual wielding wands seem pointless as hell though. I guess you could make your mages into pretty good autoattackers maybe if you leveled dual wield instead of a magic school, but I'm not sure there's much of a point to doing that besides flavor.

epmode

I accidentally skipped the tutorial message about how to delay your turn in combat. Anyone know how to delay on a controller?

edit: I can apparently add it to the hotbar. Is there a shortcut to delay your turn on a controller?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You're pretty much going to have overlap with the story NPCs no matter what. Just don't use the ones you overlap with as much. The only real one you can avoid overlapping with is Jahan since there are so many mage builds out there.

I didn't really overlap until very late in the game with Jahan and Madora, since one of my characters was a mage with fire and earth (and later, witchcraft), and the other was a ranger.

When I play EE, I'll have to use Bairdotr and Wolgraff since I didn't use either at all. Depending on balance changes, I'll probably end up going with two mages, because magic was ridiculously good in OS.

OmegaDL50

Clicking on the Credits in the main menu and the very first thing you see

"In loving memory of Kirill Pokrovsky" with his amazing music playing in the background along the excellent people that created this this game.

It's going to be sad not hearing his music in future Divinity games.

I still can't believe he has the entire soundtracks hosted for free to download on his official website. Definitely worth listening to.

Finally found a piece of Sneaking +1 gear, and huge disapointment, Sneaking AP cost doesn't change anymore. I gotta admit I didn't compare 1 and 2, just assumed it was 1 more AP than it used to be, but it's 5AP regardless now of Sneaking level now(even 0). Which means Guerilla is even worse than it looks(it was nerfed by half already), since you'll basically never re-enter stealth in combat other than invis based mechanics which have long cooldowns and similar costs anyway.

So it seems to play a melee rogue now means you have to be kinda like a warrior and hopefully with Stench stuff doesn't target you so you can backstab. Backstabs still seem very strong with dual wield. You can also obviously use CC and stuff, however I'm not entirely sure it's that useful.

Altazor

After downloading and waiting for the game to finally install, a popup warns me that my PC can't even run the EE.

Goddammit.

I only started downloading half an hour ago. Oh, woe is me!
Clicking on the Credits in the main menu and the very first thing you see

"In loving memory of Kirill Pokrovsky" with his amazing music playing in the background along the excellent people that created this this game.

It's going to be sad not hearing his music in future Divinity games.

I still can't believe he has the entire soundtracks hosted for free to download on his official website. Definitely worth listening to.

That's beautiful. He's been an... instrumental part of Divinity for years. It took a single game for his work to completely win me over; I only wish I learned of him long ago.

Kirill Pokrovsky: The man, the myth, the legend.

I have bought both also. Your review of Wasteland 2 made me buy it by the way and I am loving it. Took a break from it to start Divinity and I am having a blast so far. So glad I enjoy these games and I also believe it's important to support them.

Awesome man! Glad to know if even one person can read a review of mine and take something away from it, it's worth writing and doing videos still. Both of these games are great. I am just swarmed with review stuff so, knocking titles off slowly but surely.

UberLevi

Found an endlessly refilling mug of beer that heals for +8 but causes you to become Drunk.

It costs no AP to consume, so my co-op partner has given the beer mug to Madora and she now sustains herself via copious amounts of booze and proceeds to drunkenly brawl everyone.

Karak

Found an endlessly refilling mug of beer that heals for +8 but causes you to become Drunk.

It costs no AP to consume, so my co-op partner has given the beer mug to Madora and she now sustains herself via copious amounts of booze and proceeds to drunkenly brawl everyone.
There are oddities like this all over the title.

skyhaven

Neo Member
To those who don't really mess around with crafting. I recommend you do it.
If you pick up those herbs and have Lvl 1 Crafting. Give it a try. You don't need to know the recipe to try it.

Empty Flask + Herb = Potion X

Here's something more useful:
Pixie Dust + Skull = Enchanted Skull
E. Skull + Rope = Skull Belt (+1 INT)

Pretty useful IMO.
Experiment more and you might find an early, cheap way to slot your accessories.

My friends and I just started a new D&D campaign and because of that I have wanted to play an RPG. All the good reviews and the praise this received from Jeff Cannata last year led me to a straight up blind buy of Divinity.

I will start playing tomorrow. Have no idea what I am getting into!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Not far into this but where are all the companions located? Can I get them all early on? Do any of them have pet pal?

Bairdotr was locked in a cage in town. Madora was in the bar I think. Wolgraff is in a well outside town. Don't remember Jahan, maybe upstairs in the mayor's house?

Neither Madora or Jahan have Pet Pal, unless that was changed in EE. Not sure about the other two.

Top Bottom