• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: OS - EE |OT| No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

After downloading and waiting for the game to finally install, a popup warns me that my PC can't even run the EE.

Goddammit.

Well, that's suck.
It seems that they only support DX11 cards for the EE, while previously they were still supporting DX9 with 8800 GT as the minimum requirements.

Altazor

Does your friend have a DX11 card and is also on a 64-bit OS? Game won't work at all without those requirements. Saw someone on Reddit who had a similar complaint because they lacked a DX11 GPU so the game may not correctly message to the user in this case what happened.

If that's not the case, other things I've seen people do to solve it:
- Restart Steam / PC
- Verify game cache
- Uninstall / reinstall the game
- Try playing with compatibility mode settings

If none of those work, then you'll likely need to have him/her contact support from Larian.

it seems I have the same problem.

I think the GTX 275 supports DX11 - on dxdiag it says: "DirectX Version: 11.1" and then, "DDI Version: 11.1"...

But every time I tried to start the game, a pop-up appeared (not my picture, but it's the exact same message)

rEpC0Jf.jpg

epmode

Not far into this but where are all the companions located? Can I get them all early on? Do any of them have pet pal?

You can get all of them as soon as you enter Cyseal. You're only required to get into a fight or two for the rogue. The others are out in the open and join easily.

I don't think any of them have Pet Pal. Just use it on a mage. Early talents aren't as useful for casters so you won't miss out on any super-important combat thing.

So when is the soonest I can upgrade a character to have pet pal? I'm at level 2.

You get your next talent point at level 3.

skyhaven

Neo Member
Not far into this but where are all the companions located? Can I get them all early on? Do any of them have pet pal?

None of them has it since none of them can initiate conversation.
One fighter is in Cyseal's Tavern, she is probably the best fighter you can find with good gear to come with it.
One mage is in Cyseal Mayor's Home. He has Scientist + 1 Craft & Smithing, making him the preferred crafter.
One thief is below the city. Dig the grave to find him.
One ranger is near the Guard's barracks.

vocab

I think the GTX 275 supports DX11 - on dxdiag it says: "DirectX Version: 11.1" and then, "DDI Version: 11.1"...

But every time I tried to start the game, a pop-up appeared (not my picture, but it's the exact same message)

rEpC0Jf.jpg

A 275 does not support dx11. That card is 8 years old at this point.

Altazor

A 275 does not support dx11. That card is 8 years old at this point.

A cursory Google search reveals that the GTX 200 series only goes up to DirectX10. So you're out of luck.

Nvidia's site doesn't even list it, oddly enough.

figures.

Apparently it's just installed on the PC but it doesn't mean my GPU can use its features.

Oh well, I'm supposed to get a new PC next year anyway. I'll have to wait a couple of months to play this one :p

figures.

Apparently it's just installed on the PC but it doesn't mean my GPU can use its features.

Oh well, I'm supposed to get a new PC next year anyway. I'll have to wait a couple of months to play this one :p

It'll be worth the wait, if it's any consolation.

Ourobolus

Banned
You can get all of them as soon as you enter Cyseal. You're only required to get into a fight or two for the rogue. The others are out in the open and join easily.

I don't think any of them have Pet Pal. Just use it on a mage. Early talents aren't as useful for casters so you won't miss out on any super-important combat thing.

You get your next talent point at level 3.
Technically if you come into the tunnel from the well you don't have to fight anything.

Burt

I can't afford to get sucked into this again right now

but

i

can't

resist

controller

comfy couch

erghhh

Playing it without butchering the order of every zone this time should put it it over Pillars of Eternity for me.

Unity2012

Wow, great job with the OT. It has everything we need. Thank you.

Trying to decide between PS4 and Xbox 1. Game looks Amazing.

For people who are past the first few hours, does Tactician mode remain balanced or does it become a bit unfair? Just thinking of the encounters that already had nearly a dozen enemies......

bounchfx

For people who are past the first few hours, does Tactician mode remain balanced or does it become a bit unfair? Just thinking of the encounters that already had nearly a dozen enemies......

would also like to know this. I chose it because i wanted a fresh take at the game, not necessarily hard mode

Half an hour in character creation.. zero characters created. Progress!

My brain wants a different build from my DOS time, but my heart wants the very same build as before.

BeeDog

How do you use telekinesis? I added one point to that skill in order to try and access that chest on the other side of the rope, but couldn't figure it out yesterday.

bounchfx

How do you use telekinesis? I added one point to that skill in order to try and access that chest on the other side of the rope, but couldn't figure it out yesterday.

I think you would need a lot more than 1 point in it for that. more points -> more range

Corpekata

Banned
Telekinesis is used automatically provided you have the skill for it. It's essentially just the mage version of the "warrior uses strength to move the big ass barrel" trait. If you try moving something light with the character you should see it in action.

ChanMan

I am really really liking what I see in this game so far played after playing a little over an hour. Combat and dialogue seem really amazing and I love the art style. My only gripe so far is how intrusive the dialogue menu is; why does it have the block almost the whole screen while npcs are talking? Is there a way to change it?

Also I can see how some people can be turned off from it as in the game seems kind of brutal at the start and boy do you spend a lot of time in your menus. Fun game but I probably wait till the weekend to give it more attention.

Burt

Sweet baby jesus, if the rats and my sea-loving buddy
Ishmashell
are anything to go by, the voice acting in this game is gonna be god tier. Main characters are a bit more generic, but hey, they're supposed to be generic.

Tactician is tough. I need to relearn this.

Man the lack of regen after fights is making the start really hard :(

And yeah, that and resurrect scrolls. It's better as soon as you get past the beach area, but if I didn't know that, it would almost be enough to dissuade me from tactician.

bathsalts

Glad to see some new folks being able to give this game a shot. The Talos Principle thread and this shit warms my decrepit black heart.

Anyone using steam controller for this? Been using the gyro as arrowkeys for pointing at shit in menu's is godly while in bed once the settings are dialed in.

bbd23

think me and my friend broke the game lmao

level 4 vs this level 6 boss that we kinda just randomly ran into on our way to something else.
(sparkmaster) we threw smokescreen grenades and arrows and he just tried spamming his shock attack for a solid minute but nothing would happen and it just moves on. (I assume because he can't see anyone passed the smoke?was so weird

picture of the combat log lol. it was really difficult and we needed RNG to win but man it felt good after.

untitled-2lxo0e.png

danthefan

Tactician is tough. I need to relearn this.

And yeah, that and resurrect scrolls. It's better as soon as you get past the beach area, but if I didn't know that, it would almost be enough to dissuade me from tactician.

Can you switch back to classic after starting a game in tactician mode?

Durante

Oh yes, I just realized that the console folks get to feel our pain now.

This lost to fucking Dragon Age in damn near every award across the industry.

Dragon Age
Dragon Age

Perhaps if it had released on consoles in the same year it would have fared better. Probably not though, it still doesn't have 1/10th of the marketing budget.

JambiBum

Does your friend have a DX11 card and is also on a 64-bit OS? Game won't work at all without those requirements. Saw someone on Reddit who had a similar complaint because they lacked a DX11 GPU so the game may not correctly message to the user in this case what happened.

If that's not the case, other things I've seen people do to solve it:
- Restart Steam / PC
- Verify game cache
- Uninstall / reinstall the game
- Try playing with compatibility mode settings

If none of those work, then you'll likely need to have him/her contact support from Larian.

It was the dx 10.1 problem with windows 7. Saw someone in the forums say that they upgraded to windows 10 and it fixed it. Had my friend do it and it fixed it for him as well. Ty for your help though.

One of my favorite things about this game is the way you can handle different situations. Take the boat that's on fire in Cyseal. My friend and I didn't have a rain scroll/water spell to put it out but I found a water arrow in a crate. Sent it to my friend and he used his bow with the water arrow to put out the fire. Had no idea whether or not that would actually work.

Dizzy-4U

Damn, this is running extremely well on my end compared to the original game. 60fps locked on ultra on my old trusty 580s SLI at 2880x1620.

I wish my lady character didn't sound like she smokes 2 packs a day but whatever....

They answered you already, but I will add that dxdiag list the directx software version that you have installed in your OS, not what your gpu is capable.

danowat

Banned
How's the PS4 running? Good port? Cheers.

I think it's very good.

On another topic, I am finding the first few hours a little plodding, I did the (what I assume)
tutorial dungeon
, and the
beach fight
and enjoyed it, but have now just spent hours speaking to people in cyseal, and the game has really slowed down.

What should I do?, carry on, or is there something I can do or somewhere I can go that will pick the pace up a bit, or is this basically what the whole game is like?

Oreiller

I think it's very good.

On another topic, I am finding the first few hours a little plodding, I did the (what I assume)
tutorial dungeon
, and the
beach fight
and enjoyed it, but have now just spent hours speaking to people in cyseal, and the game has really slowed down.

What should I do?, carry on, or is there something I can do or somewhere I can go that will pick the pace up a bit, or is this basically what the whole game is like?

The pace does pick up once you leave the city. You should get 2 companions and do side quests in the city until you get to level 3 before doing so, unless you want to get destroyed.

Top Bottom