• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ Hero | Official Thread

ascully

XiaNaphryz said:
You'll probably see the scratching match up more on the harder difficulties is my guess.

yeah possibly, on medium it doesn't seem to matter how fast or in beat you move your hand with the scratch it plays at a set speed anyway. Kinda pulls you out of the scratching part. The crossfader parts on the other hand really work.

border said:
I would like to see Lady Gaga on the disc, though probably not enough to make a big deal over it.

A bigger dealbreaker is that it's sounding like you have to unlock a bunch of shit. Zzzzzzzzzzzz...

It's the first entry in the series it makes sense that you have to unlock songs. It's a good motivator to get better at the game.

Anyone getting this on PS3 feel free to add me (ID in profile) for some co-operative/versus goodness. I should be getting it any minute now and will hopefully be up to playing expert by tonight...hopefully. I don't know how difficult it really will be, because I picked up plastic guitar and drums much quicker than anyone else I know in RL so I'm thinking this will be the same.

Finally tried this game out at BB, it's fun and I think I will pick up a DJ Hero game if there was a playlist that appealed to me more

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
ascully said:
yeah possibly, on medium it doesn't seem to matter how fast or in beat you move your hand with the scratch it plays at a set speed anyway. Kinda pulls you out of the scratching part. The crossfader parts on the other hand really work.
In all the Expert vids I've watched, there are only directional scratches it seems, and they at least sound like they match up with what you hear.

border

Terrordactyl said:
It's the first entry in the series it makes sense that you have to unlock songs. It's a good motivator to get better at the game.
If they want people to get better at the game, then why is it always in No-Fail mode? I thought Activision had a grip on what people wanted with these games, but all the unlocking is a step back.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Career mode is a serious, serious grind. The game opens up on hard, but you need to play medium to progress. You'll hit a wall (at least I did).

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
XiaNaphryz said:
In all the Expert vids I've watched, there are only directional scratches it seems, and they at least sound like they match up with what you hear.

Yeah you can see that in the videos on the DJ Hero site. Higher level scratches are directional. I've gone from definitely not purchasing this game... to maybe....

Baker said:
Naw. I just kept my mouth shut about it in the RB thread for so long that I take every opportunity to make my assholish opinion known now. :D

It's no skin off my back. I don't cry myself to sleep every night because I don't like the Beatles.
Your not alone, I did not grow up with the Beatles, so I am not that familiar with them, but what I have heard is horrible. I'll take Daft Punk over them any day.

Patrick Klepek said:
Career mode is a serious, serious grind. The game opens up on hard, but you need to play medium to progress. You'll hit a wall (at least I did).
I thougt DJ HERO did not have a career mode?

border

Patrick Klepek said:
So the unlocking stuff is not just, "Pass x number of songs" as it was in the Hero series....it's also score-based?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
border said:
So the unlocking stuff is not just, "Pass x number of songs" as it was in the Hero series....it's also score-based?

Looks like to me you get a certain number of stars based on how well you do. Those stars unlock new songs and crap. You get more stars based on skill level.

I think that is how it goes. I haven't played it yet.

534wmh.gif

I don't understand peoples facination with her. Shes easily the worst character on Community, every scene she is in is worse because of her.

Patrick Klepek

dskillzhtown said:
Looks like to me you get a certain number of stars based on how well you do. Those stars unlock new songs and crap. You get more stars based on skill level.

I think that is how it goes. I haven't played it yet.

Correct. As such, while it's more fun to play on Hard, you need the stars from Medium in order to unlock further tiers. That's how it went for me, anyway.

Patrick Klepek said:
Correct. As such, while it's more fun to play on Hard, you need the stars from Medium in order to unlock further tiers. That's how it went for me, anyway.

I think I would rather play the same songs over and over again to get better, thats how I've always been with these games anyways. I'm pretty stubborn :lol

Smokey

DancingJesus said:
Your telling me a Vanilla Ice/MC Hammer remix is better than the Beatles?

Good one :lol.

Not saying it's a bad game, but don't compare it to the Beatles library.

It's okay.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
ascully said:
There actually is no DLC at the moment I looked long and hard through the menus and the marketplace. So much for day 1 DLC huh?
So wait ... are we pissed that there is NOT any Day 1 DLC now? I thought we were still pissed about devs/pubs issuing Day 1 DLC that should've been on the disc.

border

Patrick Klepek said:
Is there no QuickPlay mode where I can access everything immediately, rather than grinding down a songlist?

Karen Chu commented that the grind sucks because you end up playing the same half of a mix over and over again. E.g. A tier might make you play Fears for Fears vs. XXXXX, then you have to play Tears for Fears vs. YYYYYYY, then you have to play Tears for Fears vs ZZZZZZ.

dskillzhtown

Terrordactyl said:
I think I would rather play the same songs over and over again to get better, thats how I've always been with these games anyways. I'm pretty stubborn :lol

Same here. That is how I was with Rockband, playing the same song over and over again until I got it down, then move on.

bryehn

border said:
Is there no QuickPlay mode where I can access everything immediately, rather than grinding down a songlist?

Karen Chu commented that the grind sucks because you end up playing the same half of a mix over and over again. E.g. A tier might make you play Fears for Fears vs. XXXXX, then you have to play Tears for Fears vs. YYYYYYY, then you have to play Tears for Fears vs ZZZZZZ.

Any of the double-ups I've come across (6-7 sets in) have been very different so far, it's not as bad as I thought it would be at all.

I like the progression the way it is, I am definitely starting to feel the game get harder on medium, by the time I'm done I'll be ready to start over on hard and succeed.

UNDERSTAR

Banned
Wasn't Gamestop supposed to give out two free songs when you pick up the Renegade edition? I just remember bout dat and check their website and it says nothing now.

XiaNaphryz

UNDERSTAR said:
Wasn't Gamestop supposed to give out two free songs when you pick up the Renegade edition? I just remember bout dat and check their website and it says nothing now.
Wasn't that for pre-orders only? Probably why it's no longer mentioned on the site.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
UNDERSTAR said:
As mentioned before, GS was just giving you a code for free points/money, not specific DLC.

The only real DLC seems to be Daft Punk level from a Best Buy code.

1up

kylej said:
sweet jebus the chorus portion of Beck/Eminem on hard just destroyed me

Yea, that on hard was really tough. I'm on Revenge of the Boom Rap right now. 2 setlists away from Daft Punk. I've been playing since 1pm. :D

Triz

dallow_bg said:
As mentioned before, GS was just giving you a code for free points/money, not specific DLC.

The only real DLC seems to be Daft Punk level from a Best Buy code.

I redeemed the preorder code through the PSN on my computer. It seems to be a Music pack and not money / points as you state. I cannot turn on my PS3 from work to start the download however.

kylej

Banned
1up said:
Yea, that on hard was really tough. I'm on Revenge of the Boom Rap right now. 2 setlists away from Daft Punk. I've been playing since 1pm. :D

Just finished Thrashed & Mashed with 85% hit percentage. That set kicked my ass.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Triz said:
I redeemed the preorder code through the PSN on my computer. It seems to be a Music pack and not money / points as you state. I cannot turn on my PS3 from work to start the download however.
Ah, so they did it for real. Good news!
Now that I think about it, I did hear it was some Eminem and Jay-Z tracks that would have been the DLC from Gamestop.

kaskade

Holy fuck these mixes continue to amaze me. There are songs that I have no interest in but together sound awesome. Hard is much more fun to play, but it's also a lot harder. I'm a few sets away from completing the medium list.

dskillzhtown

dallow_bg said:
Ah, so they did it for real. Good news!
Now that I think about it, I did hear it was some Eminem and Jay-Z tracks that would have been the DLC from Gamestop.

This was the deal from GS -

GameStop (DJ Hero, DJ Hero Renegade Ed.) - Get 2 free DLC downloads

I didn't get a card or anything last night.

kylej

Banned
I have a hard time getting enough leverage to spin the turntable quickly while holding down the blue button. Maybe I should stop playing on my lap.

Blondie/Beastie Boys is incredible.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
dskillzhtown said:
This was the deal from GS -

Yeah, I know, but I had heard something like that.

My Renegade pre-order was from Amazon so I didn't get anything extra.
You should go back to GS and tell them. If you had a pre-order, you should have gotten the bonus.

XiaNaphryz

dskillzhtown said:
Time to go back and knock over some magazine racks. Though they might finally realize their error in giving you the wrong version if you do go back.

Hey 1up, any reason you put up the IGN UK score and not the IGN one? Here's the other reviews so far according to Metacritic:

PlanetXbox360: 8.7/10
Cheat Code Central: 4/5
GamePro: 4/5
GameDaily: 90

Patrick Klepek

kylej said:
I have a hard time getting enough leverage to spin the turntable quickly while holding down the blue button. Maybe I should stop playing on my lap.

Blondie/Beastie Boys is incredible.

Do not play this game on your lap.

Smokey

XiaNaphryz said:
Time to go back and knock over some magazine racks. Though they might finally realize their error in giving you the wrong version if you do go back.

Hey 1up, any reason you put up the IGN UK score and not the IGN one? Here's the other reviews so far according to Metacritic:

moneyhats

XiaNaphryz

New vid up on the DJ Hero Youtube channel:

Eminem interview.

Also, Kotaku's review is up:

I've been growing increasingly disillusioned with rhythm games over the past year. It seems like the two major players - Rock Band and Guitar Hero - are doing the exact same thing, only with different music, and let's be completely honest here - the music isn't all that different. New titles like Band Hero and LEGO Rock Band rise up, only to ultimately disappoint when both again feature similar tracks and the same old gameplay.

Perhaps what the genre needs is a fresh title with unique music and an all-new way to play. I've certainly felt that need myself, and DJ Hero has satiated it completely. There's definitely room for improvement, but even a flawed DJ Hero is a breath of fresh air for fans of music games.

Remy

This was the verbiage when I redeemed my Gamestop code:

Voucher code is valid for one time redemption of the DJ Hero Extended Mix Pack 01 by the PSN account holder prior to any expiration date, if any. Thereafter, product is available for download only through PSN prior to 12/31/2010, subject to availability. Other terms and conditions may apply.

I get the feeling that, given the numbering and the lack of anything explicitly Gamestop-y in the name of the pack, it'll be available for download by non-preorder-ers as well.

1up

XiaNaphryz said:

I keep on editing the first post and then not hitting submit. >_>

Fix'd

Also, just got Daft Punk unlocked. Holy crap, extra song from DJ yoda has a ridiculous;y hard ending.

Top Bottom