• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ Hero | Official Thread

Baker

Banned
hoos30 said:
Yeah, he is whoring himself, but I guess he doesn't want to limit his market. ha,ha.

Back on topic, I've never gotten into the music games because the tracks were not my style, but this set is hot. I think I can hold off until christmas although I have to go pick up Forza today and it will be hard to walk by without picking it up.
I emailed the amazon link to my mom this morning because she gets livid when I buy shit that's on my xmas list.

That should at least keep me away from it for a couple days.

kylej

Banned
mjc said:
Wait, both standard and renegade turntables are wireless? I thought the standard was wired?

Standard is wireless.

Playing on Hard is way more satisfying than Medium. Finished Pjanoo/Tears for Fears on Hard with a 70 note streak. Then I immediately butchered Gorillaz/Blondie :/

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Fuck. Seems like you can customize controls really well. That means I'm out $120.

Guys, let's pretend the initial hype is over and it's 4 months later. Was it worth it?

ultron87

It's about a fifty-fifty chance that I'm about to go to Best Buy and drop $420 on a new Xbox (old one broke and is out of warranty, might as well upgrade to Elite) and this game.

SuperPac

G4 review - http://g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/61922/dj-hero/review/

Yeah when I played the demo the crossfader really seemed like the thing I might dislike most about this game. Would've been better if it snapped back to the center on its own. I mean yeah maybe that's not what a crossfader does in real DJing, but since when do plastic instruments adhere to that completely?

If they did decide to go back and fix the crossfader for the next game and make a new controller... that's another $100 to spend on another music game controller. :\

That's if there is a next game.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
SuperPac said:
G4 review - http://g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/61922/dj-hero/review/

Yeah when I played the demo the crossfader really seemed like the thing I might dislike most about this game. Would've been better if it snapped back to the center on its own. I mean yeah maybe that's not what a crossfader does in real DJing, but since when do plastic instruments adhere to that completely?

If they did decide to go back and fix the crossfader for the next game and make a new controller... that's another $100 to spend on another music game controller. :\

That's if there is a next game.
Well, the devs did say that if there's another iteration, they'd like to put in double turntable support.

hoos30

Just got back from Best Buy in DC and no less than five people were standing in line with the Renegade edition (3/2 360/PS3 for those who care).

I swear if I were not in the middle of shopping for a house (my wife would kick my ass) I would have been number six.

kaskade

I pretty much played the game for about 3 hours straight this morning and god damn it's fun. There are some amazing mixes in the game. They didn't have the renegade edition so I just settled for the normal one, my wallet is happy about that.

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
XiaNaphryz said:
Well, the devs did say that if there's another iteration, they'd like to put in double turntable support.

You don't have to center the cross fader. All you have to do is make sure it's not at one side or the other and it registers as being in the "middle."

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Man I really dont want to spend 120 bucks on this game but that buy 2 get 1 free deal at BB is really tempting me to get this plus tekken 6 and ratchet....if I come home with all three my gf is gonna be pissed. :lol

Klepek said:
PRO: The best soundtrack in a music game yet

Clearly, this review was purchased.
Just a joke, see that other thread for more details.

Only odd thing about the video review was Morgan talking about Activision creating memorable characters in Guitar Hero. No they didn't, Harmonix did and Acti has been riding those characters (who have morphed into ugly as sin monsters) ever since. It's one thing to complain about character art, it's another to make it seem like some sort of fluke for a publisher as opposed to a developer. That probably shouldn't have been a major focus for contention. Again, Activision is not a developer, just a publisher.

If you want to complain about Activision's ability to get their developers the artists they need...well, go right ahead. But ever since GH3 and beyond, none of the Hero games have had characters worth looking at. Hell, GH5's best move was letting you use your avatar. I love looking at my avatar rocking out, then they go back to the ugly character models and I cringe.

tapedeck said:
Man I really dont want to spend 120 bucks on this game but that buy 2 get 1 free deal at BB is really tempting me to get this plus tekken 6 and ratchet....if I come home with all three my gf is gonna be pissed. :lol

Only works with games under $60.

Chairhome

tapedeck said:
Man I really dont want to spend 120 bucks on this game but that buy 2 get 1 free deal at BB is really tempting me to get this plus tekken 6 and ratchet....if I come home with all three my gf is gonna be pissed.
Well, DJ Hero doesn't count in the buy 2 get 1 deal (games have to be equal to or less than $59.99), so there goes that excuse. Sorry.

XiaNaphryz

hoos30 said:
Just got back from Best Buy in DC and no less than five people were standing in line with the Renegade edition (3/2 360/PS3 for those who care).

I swear if I were not in the middle of shopping for a house (my wife would kick my ass) I would have been number six.
I did the Best Buy preorder thing a week ago. They better still have a RE for me when I get there after work.

Chairhome

XiaNaphryz said:
I did the Best Buy preorder thing a week ago. They better still have a RE for me when I get there after work.
Just go to Customer Service, they should have reserved copies there. They had a big stack when i picked up Tekken.

PS
I didn't get this game yet, I will play yours when I visit you. haha

XiaNaphryz

Chairhome said:
Just go to Customer Service, they should have reserved copies there. They had a big stack when i picked up Tekken.

PS
I didn't get this game yet, I will play yours when I visit you. haha
Put it on the baby registry, just get people to chip in. ;)

Baker

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
Yeah, I think that is what he's trying to say the problem is.

It sucks knowing Day 1 that there will be a sequel with an improved peripheral that you'll "have" to buy in 6-8 months. It makes the justification to spend $120-200 on the original game sting just a bit more than it should.

border

Struct09 said:
G4's review, by Mr. Klepek (who posted just above): http://g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/61922/DJ-Hero/review/

3/5
The Pros

* The best soundtrack in a music game yet

Really?

It required a solid ten hours or so of game time before I'd become comfortable with the crossfader, a fine line between deciding whether I became indoctrinated to its nuances or succumbed to its annoyances.

I liked this line a lot, and find this sort of dilemma to be pretty common with most middle-of-the-road games. "Is it a bad implementation that I just got used to, or is it a good implementation that just has a steep learning curve?"

"Mr. Big Stuff...who do you think you are...*wicky wicky* Masta Ace"

fucking sold. 3 mixes in and I'm in love already :lol (started on Hard, btw, 4 stars on first few mixes)

And I'm not having any issues with the crossfader, mines does actually "click" in the center, but it's still loose enough to move from side to side really easily (which you actually need to do in the game). Haven't really had any problems so far.

Of course, this is 3 songs in, who knows how crazy it'll get later. But that just seems like part of the challenge to me.

border

In the review he says he disregards Beatles Rock Band.....but still, to say that DJ Hero has the best soundtrack of any music game ever besides that......seems like kind of a stretch, since not much is done to qualify the statement beyond that. You'd have to have such wildly divergent tastes to appreciate everything on the disc. Plus it's 100% mashups, and mashups mostly just make me want to hear both songs in their original versions. They're interesting novelties but it's hard for them to become greater than the sum of their parts.

Your telling me a Vanilla Ice/MC Hammer remix is better than the Beatles?

Good one :lol.

Not saying it's a bad game, but don't compare it to the Beatles library.

Remy

DancingJesus said:

That's exactly what they're saying. One song is better than a band's entire library that spanned 10 years and countless singles. You nailed it.

DancingJesus said:

Good one :lol.

Not saying it's a bad game, but don't compare it to the Beatles library.

If you're a beatles fan, you've heard every song in Beatles RB before you play it.

This isn't the case with DJ hero- every track here is an original experience for fans.

1up

Games Radar: 9
GamePro: 4½/5
GameDaily:Buy it.
G4: 3/5

Any other reviews right now? Cant find a Gametrailers / 1up review yet.

Baker

Banned
Terrordactyl said:
You must have a death wish :lol
Naw. I just kept my mouth shut about it in the RB thread for so long that I take every opportunity to make my assholish opinion known now. :D

It's no skin off my back. I don't cry myself to sleep every night because I don't like the Beatles.

XiaNaphryz

Impressions from the Penny Arcade forums, I think he has the Renegade Edition:

UnbreakableVow said:
Alright, have to stop playing for the day before I get carried away...have to get ready for work. :(

Finished three setlists and my impressions so far:

- Awesome sturdy controller

- The crossfader definitely feels problematic until you get used to it. At first it felt like it probably could have used more of a "click' in the middle to keep you from sliding it too far when repositioning it to center, but then I noticed that you don't really have to bring it back to dead center. It can be nearly halfway between center and either direction and it will still count as being centered, which is good.

- It's hard! Your RB/GH skills will not really translate here at all, outside of hitting notes as they cross the line and knowing optimal time to use euphoria (when there's a bunch of stuff to hit, obviously). I'm playing it on Medium currently and getting mostly 4-stars.

- The effects knob is pretty much your RB-style effects switch here, and when it pops up you can use it to add your own little tweaks to the audio. I still haven't gotten the hang of using it mid-song yet, though I think unlike the effects switch in RB it actually adds points.

- The tutorial was damn-near perfect and got me fully prepared.

- You only have four characters unlocked initially, and well...hopefully they're not all this bad. The character design is pretty embarrassing. The only one near acceptable is Candy Nova, who I'm using. No real bearing on the gameplay, but it's something that stood out to me.

- The rewind is probably the coolest and most fun thing I've ever seen in a rhythm game.

- As far as I can tell, you can't do individual songs, though I haven't really looked for any quickplay or custom options. You do everything in setlists comprised of a random number of songs. I'll have to look more into these options tonight.

- Gone through 11 songs so far (three sets), and every mix has sounded absolutely fantastic. Of course, I haven't hit "Bring the Noise 20XX" yet...but this game is taking other songs that I'm not fond of ("Shout" by Tears for Fears, for example) and making cool mixes of them with other songs, so maybe they might even be able to salvage that mess? Who knows.

- Sadly, despite initial reports from a couple months back, the game is lacking any Lady Gaga whatsoever.

Fuck work. This stupid capitalist system!

1up

People actually want Lady Gaga in here? :|

Also, the crossfader on renegade is awesome. I usually dont even make it to the middle and it registers for the middle. You dont have to be dead center or all the way to the left/right for it to register.

Those crossfade spikes are brutal though. :lol More impressions after I unlock me some Daft Punk.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
border said:
It required a solid ten hours or so of game time before I'd become comfortable with the crossfader, a fine line between deciding whether I became indoctrinated to its nuances or succumbed to its annoyances.

I liked this line a lot, and find this sort of dilemma to be pretty common with most middle-of-the-road games. "Is it a bad implementation that I just got used to, or is it a good implementation that just has a steep learning curve?"

I'll honestly tell you, getting used to a crossfader with a real mixer takes some time. So add the requirement of pushing a button with your other hand into the mix and yes the learning curve is rough. I am thinking you probably will find a few used ones at gamestop in the next week with people getting frustrated.

border

I would like to see Lady Gaga on the disc, though probably not enough to make a big deal over it.

A bigger dealbreaker is that it's sounding like you have to unlock a bunch of shit. Zzzzzzzzzzzz...

jag0

So, now that a few people have the game in hand. As a gamer who has a mild interest in music games (only played GH2& 3, and never finished either of them), would you guys advise that I pick this up at $120?

If nothing else i think the thing that has me most interested in this game HAS to be what I consider to be the exceptional soundtrack. If it were for sale as a standalone set of cds, i would buy it without hesitation.......

ascully

Just got the game played the first 3 sets, I really am enjoying it A LOT. Started playing on medium mostly getting 3 stars. One thing I can't get my head around are the crossfade spikes, I know what to do when they crop up I just can't get the timing right.

I used to DJ in real life and there are parts that really translate mostly the cross fader, the scratching not so much. I actually bought the standard version and think I prefer the turntable over the renegade edition, the matt finish on the standard edition mixer hides fingerprints where the renegade seems to be a print magnet.

XiaNaphryz

ascully said:
Just got the game played the first 3 sets, I really am enjoying it A LOT. Started playing on medium mostly getting 3 stars. One thing I can't get my head around are the crossfade spikes, I know what to do when they crop up I just can't get the timing right. I used to DJ in real life and there are parts that really translate mostly the cross fader, the scratching not so much.
You'll probably see the scratching match up more on the harder difficulties is my guess.

Top Bottom