• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ Hero | Official Thread

1stStrike

Banned
jamesinclair said:
How are the load times?

Is any game mode crippled?

Is it the same controller as the PS3?

Same controller. I'm pretty sure you can use the controller on any system. It has a separate USB adapter and is wireless...so it's pretty much just plug and play.

The only thing the PS2 version doesn't have is online play and DLC. Everything else is the same. You can play with two scratch pads, or have a buddy with a guitar join in. The longest load time is when it saves after you finish a set which takes about 20 - 30 seconds. Everything else is quick. I'm really not regretting the purchase at all (and it's $99 vs $120).

The graphics are going to be a little bit worse and the crowd "cheering" you on is pretty funny looking (as in bad graphics) but honestly, you're not gonna be worried about the crowd while you're playing.

Overall, completely satisfied. I might pick up the PS3 version when DJ Hero 2 comes out, as it should be more refined by then.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
1stStrike said:
Same controller. I'm pretty sure you can use the controller on any system. It has a separate USB adapter and is wireless...so it's pretty much just plug and play.
The USB dongles are system specific aren't they?

1stStrike

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
The USB dongles are system specific aren't they?

Might be the case. I haven't tried it out, tbh. The actual controller is the same, though. I suppose the way it connects (wifi vs bluetooth) might be different.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
First time on Noisa Goundhog expert...4.5 stars...5 stars easily doable on this song
First time on Beats and Pieces...2 stars :(

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Well, that's it. I beat all the songs on Expert with 3-5 stars. (Usually 4 or 5.)

I'm bored with it now. :( Time to visit the buy/sell/trade thread.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Dacvak said:
Well, that's it. I beat all the songs on Expert with 3-5 stars. (Usually 4 or 5.)

I'm bored with it now. :( Time to visit the buy/sell/trade thread.

Soo...5 star every song then?

ravien56

How are you guys playing expert? I'm struggling on hard and I've been playing RB drums on expert for years. Tips please.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
ravien56 said:
How are you guys playing expert? I'm struggling on hard and I've been playing RB drums on expert for years. Tips please.

I dunno, I guess it depends how skilled you are in rhythm games. I went straight to expert after the game forced you to play medium difficulty on the first set.

XiaNaphryz

Wario64 said:
I dunno, I guess it depends how skilled you are in rhythm games. I went straight to expert after the game forced you to play medium difficulty on the first set.
And there's not much difference between hard and expert other than most of the scratches on expert are directional.

ravien56

Wario64 said:
I would say I'm pretty skilled at rhythm games. I just have a hard time with scratching and if it uses crossfaders/scratches at the same time, I just get confused and lose rhythm. Also, my finger position on on the scratching isn't exactly comfortable.

XiaNaphryz

ravien56 said:
I would say I'm pretty skilled at rhythm games. I just have a hard time with scratching and if it uses crossfaders/scratches at the same time, I just get confused and lose rhythm. Also, my finger position on on the scratching isn't exactly comfortable.
It might actually be easier to do scratches in some tracks on Expert as you have a visual cue on when you need to go back and forth. But for generic scratches, just focus on the entry point (scratch and move at the same time) and the exit point (releasing the button at the right time). In between, just keep moving back and forth consistently - try to travel the same distance forward and backward to help stability.

ravien56

XiaNaphryz said:
It might actually be easier to do scratches in some tracks on Expert as you have a visual cue on when you need to go back and forth. But for generic scratches, just focus on the entry point (scratch and move at the same time) and the exit point (releasing the button at the right time). In between, just keep moving back and forth consistently - try to travel the same distance forward and backward to help stability.
I've 5 starred every song on medium...directional are a problem.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Directional scratches are something you just have to train yourself to read properly. IMO they're the biggest (and maybe only for music vets) hurdle in this game. If you can master this, you can pretty much beat anything in this game. Any song with same direction consecutive scratches are a pain in the ass since it's not just as simple as alternating up and down. Alternating up and down can get you out of most scratch notes in this game as long as you know how to enter the phase.

Right now, I'm getting through those same directional scratches by letting go of the button, resetting the turntable then hitting the button again for the scratch. You don't necessarily have to hold the button down the entire time for scratch phases if you have large gaps between notes within the phase. This strategy won't work well for songs that has a fast BPM/speed though.

And though it's already been repeated, make sure you set your thumb on the side of the turntable at all times to get leverage on the scratches. You can't just have your finger placed on the button and that's it...it's almost impossible to get proper scratches with that kind of hand placement

In terms of getting a high score, it's very important that you get the rewind feature as much as possible. I think you get it every time you get 60 note streak. Abuse that feature, use it after you nailed a part of the song with a bunch of notes then rewind it. You get an 8X multiplier as long as you don't mess up. Rewind feature is probably more important than euphoria imo, but combining the two will make it so much easier getting 5 stars. Just don't use euphoria during the rewind part, use it either before using rewind or after it goes back to 4X.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Wario64 said:
Directional scratches are something you just have to train yourself to read properly. IMO they're the biggest (and maybe only for music vets) hurdle in this game. If you can master this, you can pretty much beat anything in this game. Any song with same direction consecutive scratches are a pain in the ass since it's not just as simple as alternating up and down. Alternating up and down can get you out of most scratch notes in this game as long as you know how to enter the phase.

Right now, I'm getting through those same directional scratches by letting go of the button, resetting the turntable then hitting the button again for the scratch. You don't necessarily have to hold the button down the entire time for scratch phases if you have large gaps between notes within the phase. This strategy won't work well for songs that has a fast BPM/speed though.

And though it's already been repeated, make sure you set your thumb on the side of the turntable at all times to get leverage on the scratches. You can't just have your finger placed on the button and that's it...it's almost impossible to get proper scratches with that kind of hand placement

In terms of getting a high score, it's very important that you get the rewind feature as much as possible. I think you get it every time you get 60 note streak. Abuse that feature, use it after you nailed a part of the song with a bunch of notes then rewind it. You get an 8X multiplier as long as you don't mess up. Rewind feature is probably more important than euphoria imo, but combining the two will make it so much easier getting 5 stars. Just don't use euphoria during the rewind part, use it either before using rewind or after it goes back to 4X.

Hand placement has been my problem. I am 4 and 5 starring on Medium, but my hands are so used to real records and the size of the turntable, that finding a position that seems natural is hard. But I getting it. Just seems that songs with alot of scratches on different buttons back to back are the ones that are killing me.

XiaNaphryz

Wario64 said:
Correct, none of the multipliers "stack," so an effects dial section won't do anything if you're already using Euphoria, using Euphoria after a rewind won't do anything extra (unless you lose your streak during the rewound section), etc.

The only (realistically attainable) achievement I have left is Double Trouble - Complete a 2 player one on one local game. Only problem is none of my friends got this game. =(

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
XiaNaphryz said:
Mine always ends up on the spindle thingie in the center. But yeah, it doesn't really do anything.

Yeah mine does too, but as far anything else function wise, my pinky never pushes any buttons

Just finished the entire game on expert....62 songs 5-stared. I think it'll be impossible for me to get that 5 stars Expert achievement any time soon...the Scratch Perverts scratching one is definitely the hardest song in the game for me, as well as Herbie Hancock Rock It. DJ Tiesto's song was really fun to play, some of the note chart seemed like it came out of Frequency/Amplitude. Very fun

I don't think I liked the soundtrack as much as other people praise it, I probably really only loved a third of the soundtrack...the rest I just don't care for it. I agree that the DJ Guitar mixes are the most terrible mixes in the game.

1stStrike

Banned
I'm getting the hang of medium but hard looks...well, pretty hard and there's no way I can do expert lol. My friend tears through this game 5 starring everything with ease but I tend to struggle with it. I'm actually glad I don't find it too easy, though, as it gives me something to work towards and helps the replayability. I also really enjoy the music, personally, so it's good for me so far.

I think you people who are 4 or 5 starring everything and saying you are bored with it are crazy. I only have about 15 songs left to five star but just 5 starring a song does not make you good. I'd say you are good if you can consistantly get 300 streaks on expert. I just got the trophy for 20 stars in the last set list was pretty easy, Rock it will be pretty hard to five star IMO. I think the fact that they took failing out kinda hindered some peoples enjoyment. I know some of the songs I got 4 or 5 stars on would have failed me in certain places if it existed.

2DMention

Banned
Just picked it up for the Wii today and I'm getting about 3 stars on most songs the first time.

Fun so far. Lots of stuff on-screen to process though.

ravien56

Terrordactyl said:
I think you people who are 4 or 5 starring everything and saying you are bored with it are crazy. I only have about 15 songs left to five star but just 5 starring a song does not make you good. I'd say you are good if you can consistantly get 300 streaks on expert. I just got the trophy for 20 stars in the last set list was pretty easy, Rock it will be pretty hard to five star IMO. I think the fact that they took failing out kinda hindered some peoples enjoyment. I know some of the songs I got 4 or 5 stars on would have failed me in certain places if it existed.
Yea but you could just save Star power for these moments.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
So I was going to purchase this game this past Sunday on PS3, but I decided not to. Do you guys think that they'll be a good deal by Black Friday? I think I'm going to wait a little bit. I absolutely need this game in my gaming collection because it's so much fun, but the price for it at the moment is just too much for me.

ravien56

Rewrite said:
So I was going to purchase this game this past Sunday on PS3, but I decided not to. Do you guys think that they'll be a good deal by Black Friday? I think I'm going to wait a little bit. I absolutely need this game in my gaming collection because it's so much fun, but the price for it at the moment is just too much for me.
It depends on good or bad the game is selling. You'll see on NPD day but they won't drop the price that much, probably drop it $100.

ravien56 said:
Yea but you could just save Star power for these moments.
Of course, but still it would happen on occasion. I think the people like really like Rb games will get a lot of play time out of this. I have to resist playing it to clear my backlog.

ravien56

Terrordactyl said:
Of course, but still it would happen on occasion. I think the people like really like Rb games will get a lot of play time out of this. I have to resist playing it to clear my backlog.
I'm still 10 tracks away from beating it on medium then I gotta do it on hard....I suck so much.

Dragnet

I fucking hate crossfade spikes. They are the only thing I can't pull off in this game, I feel the game is being unfair when it throws a bunch at me.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
My Expert stats so far

nce1w7.jpg

I dont like how it makes no distinction about your stats if you play multiple difficulties. Sure it breaksdown how many stars you got in each difficulty level on each song, but it sucks for a wide view of your stats. Kinda want to bump down to hard difficulty to get the remaining stars, but then it'll be hard to read the tracklist to see what I still need to beat in expert

ravien56

I have like 2 sets lists left on medium but its sooooo fucking boring now that im restarting now on hard...getting 4 stars on most stuff so thats good, but theres no way to tell if ive played a set on hard unless i go into the setlist and hit triangle and it then shows how many stars ive gotten on each difficulty.

Jtrizzy

Don't rag on me too hard, I don't play past medium on any rhythm/music games like GH/RB:lol Although I think this one may be different.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to position my hand just for medium. If it's not too much trouble, could someone take a picture of the proper way to do this? I keep switching back and forth between having the buttons on the inside/outside. Seems like I'm always weaker on one side when scratching, which is holding me back from getting better.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I think it's funny that they got Jay Z and Eminem for the special edition, considering that mix in the game is awful as hell.

XiaNaphryz

Jtrizzy said:
Don't rag on me too hard, I don't play past medium on any rhythm/music games like GH/RB:lol Although I think this one may be different.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to position my hand just for medium. If it's not too much trouble, could someone take a picture of the proper way to do this? I keep switching back and forth between having the buttons on the inside/outside. Seems like I'm always weaker on one side when scratching, which is holding me back from getting better.
I've always had the buttons on the inside, so I can't give any suggestions for the other setup. I just have three fingers on the buttons with my thumb gripping on the outer side of the turntable for leverage during scratches.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Psykotik said:
just got my renegade edition delivered today

box is HEAVY

I am not a green nut or anything, but the amount of cardboard used in that packaging is ridiculous. Especially when you consider that the thing is in a case already!

XiaNaphryz

dskillzhtown said:
I am not a green nut or anything, but the amount of cardboard used in that packaging is ridiculous. Especially when you consider that the thing is in a case already!
Well, they don't want to risk denting the case and by extension the stuff inside I'm guessing.

XiaNaphryz

I'm thinking once I get good enough at Expert to 5 star/FC most of the songs well, I'll switch the turntable to the other side and try and do the same from the lefty side. Since FSG did mention they'd like to have double turntable support in the future, I figure it wouldn't be a bad idea to try.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Dj Hero Expert progress: 83 songs 5 starred, 10 songs to go...that achievement is in reach! 7 of those songs I considered to be the toughest songs in the game though. Groundhog, Rockit, Beats and Pieces and the whole DJ Shadow setlist, which IMO is the hardest setlist in the game

I kinda found out how to read scratch phases easier in Expert difficulty too. You can anticipate a same direction note if there's a gap in between notes. It works for a lot of songs. The more you keep playing, the more you have a feel of what direction to scratch to.

Jtrizzy

XiaNaphryz said:
I've always had the buttons on the inside, so I can't give any suggestions for the other setup. I just have three fingers on the buttons with my thumb gripping on the outer side of the turntable for leverage during scratches.

So you put your thumb on the record part with the little silver bumps, or on the flat side of the controller?

Top Bottom