• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition |OT| ...And I've got a bigger change log

ZeroX03

Banned
mdciqz.jpg

Sigh now I won't be able to start the download before going to work.

SkylineRKR

Yeah I pointed out on stream that Demon Dodge now gives Speed boost as well, it says so when you are about to purchase it in game.

I would like to point out that Style bar is way, way strict this time around especially on Hardcore mode and even without it. I would actually change my initial recommendation from newcomers playing on Hardcore mode to playing on Normal starting out (unless you are OK with not getting good rankings). Getting SSS ranks is difficult now as is maintaining them.

They didn't just nerf Style rankings in Normal mode but in Hardcore mode as well. So if you were used to the Style rankings in vanilla DmC and getting SSSs all the time... you will not be getting SSSs in Hardcore mode with the same combos. I know this for a fact now.

Hardcore mode has exposed me hardcore... been getting nothing by C and D ranks for missions and not able to get high ranks in standard combos either. Only in large crowds and with Aquila have I been consistently getting SSS ranks.

Going back to playing the game and thank god the changelog has been released. Will be reading this at night after my session.

Same here. Got a few S during fights pre Aquila but it wasn't handed out for sure, some lucky dodges and long ass variable combos were needed. Its harder than classic DMC I'd say, I got rather easy S ranks in DMC4 but not here. Aquila does ease it up somewhat, same as Vergil with his demon blades. Even without Hardcore its still sort of hard to maintain, I remember the Ps3 demo to be laughable easy.

I got the SSS trophy during Vergil's Downfall. Its my first time playing this DLC and he feels so god damn good, let alone the sound his sword makes.

I'd actually start out on normal too if I could go back.

Wakka212

Sigh now I won't be able to start the download before going to work.

When on earth will they update the damn store. I leave work a bit earlier today and was hoping I could purchase and download before I get home. Don't have much time to play tonight and really want to get a taste.

I've loved just about every DMC game and found the gameplay and combat mechanics to be really fun in this reboot...I expect the updates to kick it into DMC 1/3 status for me. The controls and weapons made for some fun and effortlessly stylish combos.

When on earth will they update the damn store. I leave work a bit earlier today and was hoping I could purchase and download before I get home. Don't have much time to play tonight and really want to get a taste.

I've loved just about every DMC game and found the gameplay and combat mechanics to be really fun in this reboot...I expect the updates to kick it into DMC 1/3 status for me. The controls and weapons made for some fun and effortlessly stylish combos.

I believe 2pm every Tuesday.

So a shameless plug here but I'm trying out a streaming schedule from when I get in from work. Completed the game but still need a few orbs for the upgrades but I have all the weapons and moves I need.
Going to be attempting(properly) all 60 floors of Bloody Palace today, but also showcasing a lot of high level combos and tech as well as going through any questions people have about combos, mechanics,requests or questions in general.
Gonna be up till late (my time).
www.twitch.tv/bumblebeecody

Going to try and make this a regular thing. :)

Carbonox

Jumped right in at Nephilim Hardcore. Fuck the police I want my jimmies rustled.

RyzeWiR.gif

Game is so much better with all the new changes. One of the best - if not the best - remasters? Yesss.

ezekial45

Banned
Jumped right in at Nephilim Hardcore. Fuck the police I want my jimmies rustled.

RyzeWiR.gif

Game is so much better with all the new changes. One of the best - if not the best - remasters? Yesss.

Yeah, it's really excellent. DMC4:SE has got to really bring it once its released.

nikos

Just went to GameStop to pick it up, since it's the closest store to my apartment, but they only got enough for preorders. :(

Gonna have to pick it up another day.

Dahbomb

Just beat the game on Nephilim Hardcore/Turbo.

I had much more fun playing this the first time than when I did playing the first time for Vanilla. Enemies were more aggressive (but not too aggressive) and style rankings were harder to get and maintain. I died a few times usually because I was trying to be cute or testing some stuff.

Things I discovered on my own (without looking at the changelog):

*Drek/Dreamrunners are overall much tougher now because they teleport much less. In vanilla you could just wait for them to teleport and then counter with Snake Eyes (which still works) but that opening comes far less now.

*You cannot use the same combo again whatsover. It's actually more strict than DMC3. In fact the whole style system is very strict now and it's very difficult to get up to SSS rank with 2 or less enemies to combo with. You actually have to be a combo video master to pull off consistent SSS ranks in Hardcore mode. Style gain from hitting multiple mobs has also been nerfed although still remains one of the easier way to get free style.

*Devil Trigger does not last long at all in Hardcore mode although you gain it quicker. It feels closer to OG DT mode although still very powerful. I was forced to use it a lot on my first walkthrough. It also doesn't last longer if you are doing air combos which was a mechanic in previous Vanilla. Overall very pleased with the new DT, it's not overpowered at all but it's still a strong tool for you to pull out in tight situations.

*I was getting mostly Cs and Ds rankings. I thought I had gotten ass at the game but then I looked at rankings online and for most missions not a single person has gotten a SSS rank yet! That is ridiculous! Of course that will be broken soon but the fact that this hasn't happened yet means that it's actually hard to pull off. If you were to get to SSS ranks on even some Nephilim Hardcore missions then you would automatically be top of the leaderboards for that mission. My performance was barely in the top 80s though I didn't have all the Secrets yet and I was doing a lot of testing.

*Must Style mode is not unlocked at the start but after you beat the game for the first time. This is good because some poor hap would've tried to enable it with Hardcore and would've gotten no where at the start. Getting S+ rank with just Rebellion is almost impossible and I feel that SSS fresh clears are going to be impossible in DmC DE.

*The new Trickster dodge is AMAZING! I think it might be too good in fact, it allows you to easily dodge most everything in the game. Of course you are giving up the Demon Dodge boost but as a starting evasive tool it's excellent. Once players get better at the game they will rely less on Angel Evade and then shift to Demon Dodge but for now I see everyone using this a lot.

On Angel evade, the last evade has recovery so the best way to use it is to use it twice then do some other action immediately and then evade again. Using this with the Blue weapons you become almost untouchable although you won't be doing any damage and the developers actually knew about it...

Guess what happens when you dodge a lot? Yea that's right... your style rank drops like a rock. In Hardcore mode if you aren't rushing down like crazy your style rank drops fast. Near the later stages of the game I had to start using Shotgun blasts in between the dodges to make sure that the Style doesn't drop because once the Letter grade disappears then the decay is even faster. You have to play fast and aggressive in this game to perform which is what I like.

*Demon Dodge gives far less of a boost than before but still worth using. It also gives a Speed boost. And yes the speed does increase at S rank or higher and you are faster in DT too... you can stack up all of these in Turbo mode for some really crazy speeds. It wasn't happening as much on my stream because I wasn't getting S ranks that often and I was using Angel dodge as often but this creates another element of play into the mix especially for speed running.

I feel that now both of the Dodges are in a good place with each having their own utility.

*Round Trip is definitely not as powerful as before although still very powerful at doing its job which is to lock out a single enemy.

*The Osiris Feed ramps up quicker. I was using Osiris a lot on the stream. Too bad the Style gain from Osiris air attacks is really pitiful.

*The Style bar doesn't have all those extraneous bonuses for doing stuff like multiple hits, air combos, multikills etc. It's far more efficient and doesn't clutter up the screen. Great change that I didn't know about prior to playing the game. However there is still a bonus for doing a long combo and ending it with a powerful finisher.. you get an "Awesome Combo" accolade. And you get Style bonus points for Parrying/Just evading.

*All the cutscene interruptions mid boss battles can be skipped manually. There is still like a second of interruption but overall the boss battles flow much better now.

*The boss changes weren't that noticeable on Nephilim. There were slightly more aggressive but it was no where being "reworks". Of course people tell me that there are a lot of changes to the bosses especially at higher difficulties. The boss fight with the most changes was Vergil. He progressively gets more aggressive especially the last segment and you don't need to use DT to deliver the final blow (his clone gives far less DT meter too). Last segment has you evading non stop because the clone is attacking far more frequently (so even when comboing Vergil you have to be ready to dodge). This fight could be quite challenging on high difficulties although overall the bosses were not at all difficult on Nephilim. He also has an air parry and a counter attack after a ground parry.

Overall the main thing I came away from DmC DE is that this is now a very skill based game especially in how the game rates you... so much so that it has forced me to step up my game dramatically. I would also state that I no longer recommend that people play on Hardcore starting out if this is your first time playing the game... the ranking system is fairly unforgiving to new players. Of course if that doesn't bother you and you want an enjoyable action experience then it's fine.

It's going to be a very difficult task for someone to SSS rank GMD mode with everything enabled. That will be a sight to see (provided there are no exploits involved and it's all done legit).

Some random notes:

*Lock on works perfectly fine when it does but there are a couple of hiccups with it related to certain enemies.

Dreamrunners: The lock on disengages randomly especially when teleporting. This is not going to be an issue who plan to use the lock on the classic way (which is to hold it down) but it will be an issue for people who will use the lock on as a toggle (which is what I was doing through out the game).

Witches: Round Trip does not travel to her when it locks on to her and it just fires in a completely different direction. This has to be a bug, it makes no sense. It's easier to fire a Round Trip without lock on than with lock on against her.

*Stinger like motions with Lock on are WAY too sensitive. What I mean is that in OG DMC games you have to push the stick a fairly long way for them to come out but in this game if the stick is even slightly in one direction the Stinger motion will come out. It took me half of the game to adjust to it and I was still Stinger/Streaking all over the place looking like a scrub.

I actually went back to double tap for a bit but that's just so bad after re-experiencing single tap Stingers.

*Turbo mode is selectable from Mission select so you would probably have to restart your game and go back to the main menu to enable it through Missions. Must Style is not unlocked until you beat the game once.

*Color enemies situation is better than before but still not very good. They drop like a rock during combos and only if you do something like Aquila lock down on a Blue enemy can you pull off any real multi weapon combo. I still found it ok attacking them with other weapons and using other weapons made blue enemies much easier to take down.

*Most moves still have humongous hit boxes, I don't think that aspect of the game changed much at all.

Voror

So is Turbo mode not unlocked until the game is beaten once? I can't seem to find an option for it. And would it be best to start with Hardcore mode? I did just fine in the original version, but I'm hardly a master at this. I generally managed to do alright in DMC3 and DMC4.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So is Turbo mode not unlocked until the game is beaten once? I can't seem to find an option for it. And would it be best to start with Hardcore mode? I did just fine in the original version, but I'm hardly a master at this. I generally managed to do alright in DMC3 and DMC4.
Turbo mode is unlocked from the start but you have to manually turn it on from the mission select screen. If you want it in the first mission, you need to quit out then start the mission over.

Just played the first 10/20 levels in just under 3 hours not skipping cutscenes ofc. I forgot how awesome this game is. And omg, how cheesy Dante's chat is.

Btw 1080p KAT ftw

Dahbomb

Ok, I'm in. What controller layouts are you using for lock-on without giving up on gun special button?
R3 with lock on set to Toggle. It's weird at first but it works well enough. Use L3 to switch targets.

R1 for regular gun shoot (for charge) and [] for gun special. Down on D pad for Devil Trigger.

ezekial45

Banned
Vergil on SoS HCM is an asshole. He's incredibly aggressive once doppelgänger comes out. From then on, the fight was like something out of DBZ with all the warping and dodging going on.

Dahbomb

Vergil on SoS HCM is an asshole. He's incredibly aggressive once doppelgänger comes out. From then on, the fight was like something out of DBZ with all the warping and dodging going on.
Yeah that last phase of the Vergil boss fight is amazing now.

Played the first few missions. Pretty intensely disliked what I played of the original PS3 version.

Hardcore Mode + Turbo Mode + 60 FPS is making one hell of an effort to sway me now, though; I'm actually really enjoying the game now. The re-balancing alone has got to make this one of the best remasters out there, and it's appropriately priced at that, too.

Good shit, Ninja Theory. I'm actually impressed.

ezekial45

Banned
A part of me kinda hopes there's something a little extra for clearing DMD mode. I just finished the first mission, and it's gonna be a huge challenge to get through it with HCM enabled.

Dahbomb

A part of me kinda hopes there's something a little extra for clearing DMD mode. I just finished the first mission, and it's gonna be a huge challenge to get through it with HCM enabled.
There are like no people on the DMD Hardcore leaderboard LMAO! You would get like rank#1 automatically.

You get Super Dante from beating DMD mode I believe.

Judging from the Leaderboards though, the SSS requirement for Style points is really stringent for Hardcore mode. Most people who are topping the Leaderboards have like Cs and Bs with the occasional As.

I managed to get through chapter 6 on Nephilim with turbo mode enabled, and I'm having a blast so far! I don't think I could ever go back to the vanilla game without turbo mode now; it feels so damn smooth and slick with it on.

I also forgot how hard it is to get good scores at the beginning of the game; I got a lot of D's and C's at the start, but my scores are starting to get into the B's and A's now. I can't wait to try hardcore mode, if only I could figure out how to enable it. I don't see an option for it in the mission menu like with turbo mode. Is it enabled in the pause menu or something?

I've got to say, this is probably the best remaster I've ever played; they changed so much, and the game feels so improved now. The cheaper price definitely was a selling point as well, haha.

I managed to get through chapter 6 on Nephilim with turbo mode enabled, and I'm having a blast so far! I don't think I could ever go back to the vanilla game without turbo mode now; it feels so damn smooth and slick with it on.

I also forgot how hard it is to get good scores at the beginning of the game; I got a lot of D's and C's at the start, but my scores are starting to get into the B's and A's now. I can't wait to try hardcore mode, if only I could figure out how to enable it. I don't see an option for it in the mission menu like with turbo mode. Is it enabled in the pause menu or something?

I've got to say, this is probably the best remaster I've ever played; they changed so much, and the game feels so improved now. The cheaper price definitely was a selling point as well, haha.

There's two places where you can enable HCM. On difficulty select, there's a check box near the bottom of the screen to enable it. Or on the mission select screen, you can hit L1 or R1 to scroll between [diffuculty level] and their HCM equivalents. The cool thing is that you should be ale to switch between HCM and vanilla without messing up your progress.

taa0098

Neo Member
Kudos to NT for this. They gave the game the re-do the franchise deserved, and I'm glad to give them my money for it. Turbo mode is delicious.

105.Will

It's difficult brah. Even worse for me right now because I don't have all the moves unlocked yet. I keep forgetting how barebones Dante starts in every game.

Glad to hear its not just me. im definitely looking forward to going through the game again with all the skills.

ezekial45

Banned
Yeah, you gotta work your way up to getting S rank and above in HCM. There aren't really any shortcuts this time around on account of the strict repetition penalties and Style meter decay rate. I struggled a lot in Nephilim, but I managed to do WAY better in SoS mode.

Dahbomb

so is S rank just really hard to get on hardcore or am i just trash?
It's actually hard especially starting out. Talking about the Style bar here... getting S rank on the Style points category of mission rankings is also not easy unless you try to farm for them by dying a lot which results in its own penalty (death penalty and time penalty).

And mission ranking and style bars go upto SSS.

Dahbomb

One more thing I would add is that the Style meter does not work like previous DMC games (it's similar of course but has it's own unique mechanics to it).

It's actually a very complex system but the short version is that you never repeat moves in a combo and you try to maximize the hits in a combo. You simply never stop attacking and when you have racked enough hits you have to "end" the combo with a finisher.

A finisher is like the end of the strings of various moves or a slam move like Helm Breaker. The more hits and variations you rack up before the finisher the higher the boost that the finisher will give. The way to optimize is this is to always land the killing blow on an enemy with a finisher attack.

It took me a whole walkthrough to figure this out and once I did I could get S ranks in combos more easily. However, once you get to S rank getting to SS/SSS is even stricter but the bonuses you get above S sort of make up for it. You get both a slight damage and speed boost at S+ ranks in combos.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
One more thing I would add is that the Style meter does not work like previous DMC games (it's similar of course but has it's own unique mechanics to it).

It's actually a very complex system but the short version is that you never repeat moves in a combo and you try to maximize the hits in a combo. You simply never stop attacking and when you have racked enough hits you have to "end" the combo with a finisher.

A finisher is like the end of the strings of various moves or a slam move like Helm Breaker. The more hits and variations you rack up before the finisher the higher the boost that the finisher will give. The way to optimize is this is to always land the killing blow on an enemy with a finisher attack.

It took me a whole walkthrough to figure this out and once I did I could get S ranks in combos more easily. However, once you get to S rank getting to SS/SSS is even stricter but the bonuses you get above S sort of make up for it. You get both a slight damage and speed boost at S+ ranks in combos.

So it's like Tony Hawk where you need to land the trick for the score to be maximized because of multipliers in action?

105.Will

It's actually hard especially starting out. Talking about the Style bar here... getting S rank on the Style points category of mission rankings is also not easy unless you try to farm for them by dying a lot which results in its own penalty (death penalty and time penalty).

And mission ranking and style bars go upto SSS.

yeah i no lol. im just so surprised at how hard they made it to get SSS compared to the original release, Its definitely a change for the better. Triple S was a joke in vanilla DmC compared to 3 and 4.

Top Bottom