• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition |OT| ...And I've got a bigger change log

I'm really finding myself not using lock-on, surprisingly. It just feels really awkward given that the angel and demon weapons are also on the triggers.

Consider switching it to toggle. That way you don't have to press and hold it.

Also remember that like in previous DMC games, when are locked on to an enemy, clicking in L3 causes you to cycle between targets.

The lock-on system is great when airborne enemies appear. Lock on, and click L3 until it cycles to the airborne enemy, dispose of it and then ground combat's auto target system is pretty good enough where you don't have to worry about locking on.

So I played up to the meet point of meeting Phineas yesterday. I've uploaded most of it (there are missing breaks here and there) but most of it is there.

Unfortunately I'm a PS4 share warrior so no 60 fps option. Get on that Sony.

But as you can see hardcore mode makes getting certain style rankings difficult, I was getting D's and C's early on since you don't have that many weapons or moves unlocked.

And this was the part I was talking about before, in the original edition - there was acid pools in this area right? And even on hardcore mode in the re-release, they removed it. Or was it something that shows up on SoS and up? I can't remember:
https://youtu.be/ESPXMdS51ZI?list=PLaXRqeo97_9pT9A_Z73daqR7CxOJGjJ4V

Also, I think it was Dahbomb who said this but when you are using target lock, the stinger motion is ---way too sensitive---. A slight touch on the analog forward and you're doing stingers all day. So be wary of that.

IThe main issue with DmC is that it was available on PS+ on PS3 and a lot of people got to try it out (or they played the demo). Most people probably don't want to play the game again and most people cannot appreciate the changes unless they have played both versions.

True. It's the same with a lot of games. Fighting games especially. To those who have no idea about what goes into those games, they'll see Super Street Fighter 4 as a game with a 1 new ultra, and 12 new characters. But for us, it's a huge system overhaul.

The same can be said for DmC. "Why would I wanna pay £30 for a game that I can buy on Xbox/PS3 for £5? All they added was this weird turbo thing, a higher frame rate, and a targeting system". Despite there being a 23 page PDF write up on the changes.

Even Devil May Cry fans don't know the deeper intricacies with the DMC games and won't see how Dantes Awakening or Definitive Edition or even worth the price.

Consider switching it to toggle. That way you don't have to press and hold it.

Also remember that like in previous DMC games, when are locked on to an enemy, clicking in L3 causes you to cycle between targets.

The lock-on system is great when airborne enemies appear. Lock on, and click L3 until it cycles to the airborne enemy, dispose of it and then ground combat's auto target system is pretty good enough where you don't have to worry about locking on.

I tried toggle out earlier but I really didn't like it. Not surprising because I never like toggle lock-on.

Maybe I'll have to get use to it though. Holding is really negatively impacting how well I play.

Dahbomb

For those who are struggling with Angel/Demon plus lock on R1 I would recommend mapping both Angel/Demon to one side of the controller (Like L1/L2). Map dodge to R2.

Or you can just put Lock on Toggle on R3, toggle it once during combat and then cycle targets with L3 as necessary.

For those who are struggling with Angel/Demon plus lock on R1 I would recommend mapping both Angel/Demon to one side of the controller (Like L1/L2). Map dodge to R2.

Or you can just put Lock on Toggle on R3, toggle it once during combat and then cycle targets with L3 as necessary.

Hmmm. That's an interesting idea actually. I'm going to give that a try later tonight.

taa0098

Neo Member

This is what I did. I was reflexively hitting R2 to dodge since I've been playing a lot of Bayo 2, so I said fuck it and remapped dodge to r2 and demon mode to l1. Great decision.

Sevyne

That was exactly the first thing I did. It makes a world of a difference.

That was exactly the first thing I did. It makes a world of a difference.

I would have liked to do that from the start, but it's too late now. I've trained my brain in that L2 angel and R2 is demon. I'm okay with claw-handing the shoulder button if I ever wanted to evade with angel evade.

Sevyne

I would have liked to do that from the start, but it's too late now. I've trained my brain in that L2 angel and R2 is demon. I'm okay with claw-handing the shoulder button if I ever wanted to evade with angel evade.

Mine is trained to be like this to begin with because it's much like my configuration for any action games that allow button mapping. I always have evade/lock-on mapped to R1/R2, so Angel and Demon weapons on L1/L2 just made sense to me. I also moved normal and special attacks to square/triangle and gun to circle.

I assume you haven't rebooted or anything between getting these.

No I have not, but its not like a thing that just happens easily, I've been trying to do it again after the 3rd time but I cant, I'm testing if a specific thing I did in the other times it happened is what causes it to maybe happen.

Notice how the training I'm on is for Ricoshot. I haven't bought that skill yet so I was testing it. So if you charge Ricoshot all the way up and then repeatedly attack with the sword while letting go of the shoot button, it doesn't use the Ricoshot, instead it banks it. After I discovered that, I was just messing around with attacks and then this happened for the first time lol. Notice how in both clips I have the glowing Ricoshot arms.

Roussow

To those who've had experience with the PS4 version -- is the AF issue that distracting? People were losing there shit in the dedicated DF threads, but if you're like me, once you really get into a character action game, graphical issues kind of just disapear into the background, I've been playing Revengeance on PS3, and I'm not really bothered by anything there (aliasing, texture quality, etc), too busy concentrating of perfect parries. Is it nothing to worry about? I feel the art design is good enough to carry any issues this game has technically.

To those who've had experience with the PS4 version -- is the AF issue that distracting? People were losing there shit in the dedicated DF threads, but if you're like me, once you really get into a character action game, graphical issues kind of just disapear into the background, I've been playing Revengeance on PS3, and I'm not really bothered by anything there (aliasing, texture quality, etc), too busy concentrating of perfect parries. Is it nothing to worry about? I feel the art design is good enough to carry any issues this game has technically.

I never noticed it, I beat Dante's story and the Vergil story in 10 hours total. Then again I'm not a graphics whore going around looking for stuff to nit pick about. Game played fine and looked great.

Dahbomb

As always it's a bunch of graphics "enthusiasts" making a big deal about a bunch of screens.

It's nothing to worry about in this game, the textures are fine it's just in some areas some far distance textures look off. The game looks and performs fine on PS4 especially when playing in person. It's a damn good action game.

Roussow

I never noticed it, I beat Dante's story and the Vergil story in 10 hours total. Then again I'm not a graphics whore going around looking for stuff to nit pick about. Game played fine and looked great.

As always it's a bunch of graphics "enthusiasts" making a big deal about a bunch of screens.

It's nothing to worry about in this game, the textures are fine it's just in some areas some far distance textures look off. The game looks and performs fine on PS4 especially when playing in person. It's a damn good action game.

Good to hear, I just wanted a confirmation before pulling the trigger on this one -- Most competitive games I play (League/CS:GO) I play on low settings, due to my shit-tier laptop, so I won't have a problem here adjusting either -- if I even notice - performance is king!

Fuck, PSN has this for $55 in Aus. It's retailing for $79 at JB and $89 at EB, I'm jumping on the digital version immediately!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It plays and performs great. Only really noticeable in the dream sequences.

I found it to be noticeable but not off putting. Some cutscenes look awkward as heck at times though. I'd say the Xbox One version is the "Definitive Edition".

Good to hear, I just wanted a confirmation before pulling the trigger on this one -- Most competitive games I play (League/CS:GO) I play on low settings, due to my shit-tier laptop, so I won't have a problem here adjusting either -- if I even notice!

Fuck, PSN has this for $55 in Aus. It's retailing for $79 at JB and $89 at EB, I'm jumping on the digital version immediately!

I didn't notice any of that AF stuff until I saw the DF thread.

In fact, I was playing the game thinking to myself how gorgeous it is for being an uprezzed last gen port. I think 1080p really makes this game pop due to the vibrant use of colors. So vivid.

Don't worry about that AF shit, in fact, even to those with both xbox ones and ps4's, I'd still say get the PS4 version as I feel the controller is better suited for it.

nikos

I'm about to play for the first time. Should I enable hardcore mode? I'll be playing on easy or normal. I don't think I've played DMC since the first one, if that matters.

Dahbomb

I'm about to play for the first time. Should I enable hardcore mode? I'll be playing on easy or normal. I don't think I've played DMC since the first one, if that matters.
You should play on Nephilim as that's Normal, not "Demon Hunter" (which is Easy) and not Human (which is Very Easy).

Hardcore mode is optional, it makes the game more skill demanding and it's harder to get good style ranks. But it's nothing too absurd.

Turbo mode however is required.

Sevyne

Definitely do not play on easy (Human). Even if you want to just kick back and casually enjoy the game, easy is incredibly boring. It's more like baby mode. Normal (Demon Hunter) is the true easy mode if that's what you want.

And no matter what you choose, definitely enable turbo mode. The action is just much better that way.

Slaythe

I put Demon on R1 and dodge on Circle, launcher on R2.

That really feels comfortable.

And I can angel evade like a pro.

Circle dodge reminds me of trickster anyway.

Also as you might know, they forgot to implement AF properly on ps4, which makes the game look really bad when not in motion.

Since it wouldn't cause any performance drop, feel free to ask them to patch it on their twitter if you have time to waste. I did.

https://twitter.com/NinjaTheory

Play on Nephilim to get a feel for the game first.

Just wondering, does anyone have this on Xbox One? I wanted to do a mini combo video but all of my clips are silent. Upload Studio please

Edit: Nevermind, there might be a fix for it.

nikos

You should play on Nephilim as that's Normal, not "Demon Hunter" (which is Easy) and not Human (which is Very Easy).

Hardcore mode is optional, it makes the game more skill demanding and it's harder to get good style ranks. But it's nothing too absurd.

Turbo mode however is required.

Definitely do not play on easy (Human). Even if you want to just kick back and casually enjoy the game, easy is incredibly boring. It's more like baby mode. Normal (Demon Hunter) is the true easy mode if that's what you want.

And no matter what you choose, definitely enable turbo mode. The action is just much better that way.

Play on Nephilim to get a feel for the game first.

Just wondering, does anyone have this on Xbox One? I wanted to do a mini combo video but all of my clips are silent. Upload Studio please

Edit: Nevermind, there might be a fix for it.

Thanks guys. Started over on Nephilim + Hardcore. Hopefully I don't get rekt.

Slaythe

Make sure you go back to the main menu, go to Mission Select and turn on Turbo mode as well. You will thank me later.

Turbo should be on by default seriously, so many people are gonna look over it. While it makes the game so much more enjoyable.

nikos

Make sure you go back to the main menu, go to Mission Select and turn on Turbo mode as well. You will thank me later.

Will do, as soon as it's available.

EDIT: Thought it had to be unlocked but will check right after this cutscene.

Sevyne

It's also strange how they put it in a strange spot at the beginning of the game.

Yeah. It really should have been in the initial settings right above Hardcore Mode or something and/or enabled by default. It's a pretty big deal of a feature to be tucked away the way it is.

Top Bottom