• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

V_Arnold

Endo Punk: yeah, very legit review.
/sarcasm
So legit.

I do not know, man. I think I am going to puke if I have to endure one more video review when the first one-two minutes is spent on mindlessly bashing the new Dante and the whole "reboot" angle.

Yeah, I get it, mr. Reviewer. You can articulate "douchebag" pretty damn well. Any actual insights besides that? No? Where is my alt+f4 on that panel? :p

Narolf

Banned
I do not know, man. I think I am going to puke if I have to endure one more video review when the first one-two minutes is spent on mindlessly bashing the new Dante and the whole "reboot" angle.

Feeling the same. At least AngryJoe can take credit on making the bashing bittersweet with the analogy to Blood on the Dance Floor.

This thread is too damn postive! You guys been drinking that virility shit :p

Here's a neat review that just popped up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0a_QlurNZU

Of course the guy likes the original DMC and is not to be trusted. I mean DmC is universally appreciated and not in any way takes step back to regress what the franchise has achieved thus far. Also the story is totally not childish, totally!
/sarcasm

Seriously the review is legit imo. DmC is just DMC except it traded flaws, better level design & platforming for a poorer story, characters and gameplay unless you like to be rewarded for no effort to stay in the air :p

I don't care if Capcom goes this route but please no more Ninja Theory, they have not matured the franchise at all and wasn't that the goal?

Cool link more shitty youtube reviews that accord with your opinion I want to see them.

DihcarEM

Of course the guy likes the original DMC and is not to be trusted. I mean DmC is universally appreciated and not in any way takes step back to regress what the franchise has achieved thus far. Also the story is totally not childish, totally!
/sarcasm

Seriously the review is legit imo. DmC is just DMC except it traded flaws, better level design & platforming for a poorer story, characters and gameplay unless you like to be rewarded for no effort to stay in the air :p

I don't care if Capcom goes this route but please no more Ninja Theory, they have not matured the franchise at all and wasn't that the goal?
Awesome review, agreed with everything he said in it.

PaulloDEC

/sarcasm

I really don't understand how someone who's played the game can persist with the stuff about Dante being an unlikeable asshole. Sure, he can be snarky on occasion, usually when facing down bosses, but for the rest of the time he's actually a pretty stand-up guy. I mean, am I imagining it?

jett

D-Member
Donte is far from being an unlikable asshole. People that keep going on about that are not worth listening to. That review is neither neat or legit.

Endo Punk

Donte is far from being an unlikable asshole. People that keep going on about that are not worth listening to. That review is neither neat or legit.

And people who have a problem with OG Dante's over the top style and persona are definitely not worth listening to :D

I saw this review this morning, and putting the actual review aside for a minute, I couldn't really agree with the tone. Judging from his Dead Space 3 video, the man is generally disillusioned with modern gaming in general. Add to that his ties to the deconstruction of the new Dante video by HyperBitHero and I'm not entirely convinced he went into this game with the right mindset, especially since he STILL dropped a line saying that the combat was still way better than most modern beat-em-ups.

As for the actual review, there are good points he makes like the whole 30 FPS thing and the general simplification of combat, but other points he brings up are laden with either vitriol or hyperbole, most notably when discussing the new Dante's demeanour. I'm not convinced that his distaste for the new character isn't simply psychosomatic; that he hates him because he wanted to hate him. And I say this as someone who was vehemently against Brenda Hillier's article a few weeks ago.

I mean, if you don't like this game, that's fine. Opinions, etc, I won't bug you into liking this game. Nor shouldn't there have been worries about the developer OR the character design, even more irrational worries, simply because the old Dante was, and still very much is, an original character.

But I STILL see people dropping "emo Dante"s and "DMC is dead, this f*ggy shit is not DMC its a pretender"s and "Here's to the financial failure of the new Devil May Cry"s, so there's still an apparent indignance in a portion of the fanbase. I don't dare guess how big that portion is as opposed to people with fair fears of Ninja Theory's direction, because that's an argument that will never end. But yeah, some people would never be convinced, I'm sure, including The Gaming Brit. And I happily subscribed to him last night, and I'll stick by my subscription!

Guess Who

Banned
Donte is far from being an unlikable asshole. People that keep going on about that are not worth listening to.

Of all the fair criticisms one could make about the game's writing, Dante being an unlikeable asshole is not one of them. He's a sympathetic character fighting for a cause bigger than himself.

LegatoB

Of all the fair criticisms one could make about the game's writing, Dante being an unlikeable asshole is not one of them. He's a sympathetic character fighting for a cause bigger than himself.
Which is established almost entirely in after the fact by his reactions in the Mission 20 intro cutscene, marking the first time Dante suggests that he has any motive whatsoever beyond simple vengeance.

There has been a lot of well deserved criticism of this game from concerned fans of the genre and series but the snide, vitriolic and hyperbolic video in question really doesn't appreciably explore any of it. You'd think Capcom cancelled a deeply late-development DMC5 directed by Itsuno just to hand this game off to NT from some of the response I've seen.

Lijik

I really don't understand how someone who's played the game can persist with the stuff about Dante being an unlikeable asshole. Sure, he can be snarky on occasion, usually when facing down bosses, but for the rest of the time he's actually a pretty stand-up guy. I mean, am I imagining it?

I don't see where its coming from either. Dante's personality is the least of the plot's problems and imo one of its better aspects. He's got some duuuuumb as hell one liners, but they're all corny in a good way (ignoring the fan-'favorite' Fuck you exchange) - so typical for DMC imo.

In fact, been replaying DMC3 and a few missions in and I dont see that much of a difference. Sure DMC3 Dante is wilder but DmC Dante is still in the same vein. If anything I kind of prefer DmC Dante simply because the voice in DMC3 is terribad. Sounds like a sneering 14 year old's idea of a badass, yuck. I like his voice in DMC4 though and thats probably straight up the best Dante.

IDK, this is all a moot point to me anyways. Any incarnation of Dante pales in comparison to Gene from Godhand when it comes to being a badass motherfucker out to kick ass, take names, and have a blast doing it.

V_Arnold

Which is established almost entirely in after the fact by his reactions in the Mission 20 intro cutscene, marking the first time Dante suggests that he has any motive whatsoever beyond simple vengeance.

Someone needs to replay some missions - most notably 12, if I remember the number correctly :p

.la1n

I wonder if they'll make a Heavenly Sword 2 or Enslaved 2, complete with what they learned here.

Enslaved 2, possibly...which would be pretty cool considering it had a great soundtrack and decent story going for it hindered by horrible combat and unresponsive controls. Heavenly Sword 2 I wouldn't bank on since Sony owns the IP and had a sequel in development (not by Ninja Theory) and was canned. There is always the possibly following DmC success that Sony could bring back Ninja Theory to work on a sequel but doesn't seem very likely.

.la1n

I think people who are under the impression Dante is an unlikable asshole are going off of trailers only and have not actually played the game or watched someone playing the game long enough to get an idea of how the cut scenes play out.

edit: apologies on double post, it's early here.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Enslaved 2, possibly...which would be pretty cool considering it had a great soundtrack and decent story going for it hindered by horrible combat and unresponsive controls. Heavenly Sword 2 I wouldn't bank on since Sony owns the IP and had a sequel in development (not by Ninja Theory) and was canned. There is always the possibly following DmC success that Sony could bring back Ninja Theory to work on a sequel but doesn't seem very likely.
I would love to see a sequel to Enslaved.

I feel as if DmC has taught them quite a bit about combat and even platforming (which is much less automatic here).

Enslaved had a much more appealing world and narrative driving the players forward with an incredibly rich atmosphere. I never felt that the combat was bad, per se, but it was pretty simplistic and the lower framerate in the second half really hurt the experience.

I would love to see them put together the best bits of DmC and Enslaved into a single game.

nbthedude

Cool link more shitty youtube reviews that accord with your opinion I want to see them.

It is pretty much established now:

If you watched combo videos of previous DMC games and whined about Ninja Theory, you will find the game above average at best.

If you are a "casual" fan of the series or have never played the previous games you will love it.

Mechazawa

The camera is really at it's worst when you're fighting blood mask guy. His zippidy doo da bullshit always fucks up my camera and I'm always making leaps of faiths whenever I try to Stinger his ass.

Otherwise, it's been fine for me.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The camera is really at it's worst when you're fighting blood mask guy. His zippidy doo da bullshit always fucks up my camera and I'm always making leaps of faiths whenever I try to Stinger his ass.

This, in addition, to color coded enemies are where the weaknesses of no lock-on really come into play.

rottame

It is pretty much established now:

If you watched combo videos of previous DMC games and whined about Ninja Theory, you will find the game above average at best.

If you are a "casual" fan of the series or have never played the previous games you will love it.

Or you could have a less fanatic approach and love both the ultra-technical (and a little bit bloated, let's face it) DMC3 and the less complex but still deep DMC.

DMC is head and shoulder above most action games. The combat system is not as elegant and layered as Bayonetta's (or the old DMC) but it's still way better than any God of War. Describing that as "above average" is unfair.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Or you could have a less fanatic approach and love both the ultra-technical (and a little bit bloated, let's face it) DMC3 and the less complex but still deep DMC.

DMC is head and shoulder above most action games. The combat system is not as elegant and layered as Bayonetta's (or the old DMC) but it's still way better than any God of War. Describing that as "above average" is unfair.

God of War has average combat. DmC has above average combat. I don't see how that's unfair.

Donte's problem is being a totally forgettable and boring character, not being an asshole. They had some good lines for him(i.e.
"[...] hunting demons and getting laid... but that computer stuff sounds good too.
) but there's too little of that side.

Otherwise, it's been fine for me.

It's gotten caught on the wall a few times for me.

Especially in the
Vergil fight if he happens to kneel in the corner, getting to him to do that last hit isn't easy.

Mike M

Nick N
The *only* time I had issues with the camera was mission 13 while going off the beaten path to snag collectibles where it would keep trying to align itself to the main thoroughfare of the level, pretty much always in the middle of a jump. I'm hoping I was just running into a glitch (I haven't bothered trying to replicate it), because... Damn. It was literally the worst camera work I've ever encountered in a game.

I actually don't think Dante's personality was too bad, it was just strange how....truncated everyone's personality motivations were.

Pretty much everyone in the game is one small conversation away from completely changing how they feel about everything. For all the praise the writing gets, it's weird that no one finds this to be somewhat strange.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I actually don't think Dante's personality was too bad, it was just strange how....truncated everyone's personality motivations were.

Pretty much everyone in the game is one small conversation away from completely changing how they feel about everything. For all the praise the writing gets, it's weird that no one finds this to be somewhat strange.

Personalities completely change at the drop of a hat, and for the convenience of an emotional scene.

Jawmuncher

Enjoying it still but I have to agree about those enemies who can only be hurt by certain weapons. They should have went the witch route where you need to start with a weapon then you can change it to anything as the combo goes.

Old Dante was fucking amazing because it not only led to hilarious, awesome cutscenes but his characterization complimented the gameplay conceit of playing for style; and the contrast between his cocky, confident attitude in the face of danger and the difficulty of the game really did fair bit to encourage me as the player.

I don't mind the new Dante but I hope NT can evolve him into something like that, should they get to continue with the reboot.

Prinny

I finished the game on Nephilim, it was a good game overall but nowhere near as good as DMC3/4 + Bayo.

I'm really disappointed by the lack of over the top cutscenes, that was my favorite thing (after the combat) in the previous games.

Still a massive improvement on the previous episodes. Over the top madness becomes boring pretty quick.

A matter of perception, I suppose.

I think, given the option, I'd prefer over-the-top madness that doesn't take itself seriously over a story that ostensibly takes itself seriously but isn't written very well.

rottame

Sounds rather subjective (certainly wasn't considered a problem until Capcom and NT threw the old series under the bus).

I would say a large part of the videogaming community finds that style uninteresting and considered it a problem. Personally I can't stand "oh, this is so bad/ridiculos is good" anymore. Not even trying to do something meaningful sounds immature to me, even more than the pathetic attempts at mature plots in FPSs.

And, yes, of course I speak subjectively.

But even the biggest fan of demon-slapping bikes must admit that new DmC story has interesting elements (the whole "political" edge of it) and is told in a striking visual manner.

I would say a large part of the videogaming community finds that style uninteresting and considered it a problem. Personally I can't stand "oh, this is so bad/ridiculos is good" anymore. Not even trying to do something meaningful sounds immature to me, even more than the pathetic attempts at mature plots in FPSs.

And, yes, of course I speak subjectively.

But even the biggest fan of demon-slapping bikes must admit that new DmC story has interesting elements (the whole "political" edge of it) and is told in a striking visual manner.

I feel like, if you're going to take a stab at a political-machinations story, you absolutely can not hold back. They could have done really interesting and cool things with, say, Bob Barbas and how satiated people are by being told soundbite news.

Instead they go "Oh, mind control," and that's the extent of it.

I keep thinking back to the very intro of the game where Kat throws a molotov cocktail at the Hunter's face and then says "Alright, you can fight him now!" It's the perfect metaphor for the game's story: something happened, now kill him.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I personally didn't find the political angle interesting in the least. I would say that the environments are nice, but I don't see how that has anything to do with the plot, really.

The cutscenes in previous games were done in that style in an effort to match the gameplay, which is sort of redundant nowadays because it's perfectly natural for gameplay and cutscenes to run by completely different rules within the game logic. Dante's characterization and character design were over the top to fit that scheme as well, but now a game protagonist's characterization can contradict the game mechanics built around him without being out of place, and there are definitely games guilty of much worse in that regard.

It's pretty obvious that old Dante was designed around the game he inhabits, not vice versa, but that's so completely unnecessary now because we accept a big enough gap between narrative and mechanics. Games need relatable everyman as protagonists instead of ridiculous cartoon characters now, so I can understand why new Dante fits better for a 2013 game. Seeing someone make the same quip or react the same way you would in a part of the story is more interesting to some people than watching an outsider make light of the entire situation through antics.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The entirety of Limbo was an interesting concept but it never ends up being very consistent, the game has a lot of ideas in the plotline that it doesn't use well in the end for me.

Also, put me in the camp of greatly preferring the zaniness in cutscenes. DMC4 dante is the best.

Lijik

There is nothing interesting about anything in DmC.

I love how intense your opinions are for someone who as far as I can tell hasn't bothered to play it.

The entirety of Limbo was an interesting concept but it never ends up being very consistent, the game has a lot of ideas in the plotline that it doesn't use well in the end for me.

I agree. A lot of interesting and neat ideas that never really seem to build into anything. It felt like they were leading up to something with Sparda early on (at least to me) and that gets forgotten at the drop of a hat the second you go to the Virility factory. I still like the presentation of the cutscenes even if the narrative is kinda shit.

Top Bottom