• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Dahbomb

Replaying the game is a massive chore compared to previous games.

So many god damn unskippable nonsense in the game as well as various scripted events. If you are trying to get SSS ranks on a mission so much of your time is spend on parts of the missions that are ultimately useless to your overall ranking.

Right now Caliber, Rake and the first hit of Aerial Rave are the easiest moves to enemy step. Helm Breaker and Showdown (in the air Triangle, I usually mix then up_ are the hardest to enemy step. I haven't really learned anything new on my second walkthrough, pretty much what worked well for me the first time around still does. One thing is for sure that style points are given proportionally to damage dealt... raising style with Demon weapons is EXTREMELY easy compared to Angel weapons unless there's a pack of like 6+ enemies that you are all easy to juggle. One of the easiest ways to get your style up fast is to get above a group of enemies and charge up a Slam. Also if you time the Slam release right it turns into "Awesome Slam" on the style ranking.

All big sized enemies can be juggled by launching them with Eryx uppercut LVL2 even the Butcher. You can't grapple the Butcher in the air but you can grapple Tyrants in the air.

The Rage enemies when they start doing the Barrel roll move (usually when one of them dies) do an Osiris Prop to parry them and leave them stunned. Use this stun time to charge up a powerful move like Round Trip or Eryx full charged launcher.

It's not worth parrying Drek's teleport slash move because parrying them takes them out of the recovery of the move. Best to use Demon dodge at this opportunity and then Angel dodge into a few hits of Demon weapons. Of course when he's dancing around you should be peppering him with charged Revenants shots.

What rig do you have?
Not a good one. :lol I don't have exact details right now, but everything is okay except for the near decade old on-board processor. I thought it would have been a problem with my video card so I updated the drivers for that and no dice. It's a smooth 60fps until I get hit with those random freezes.

jett

D-Member
Not a good one. :lol I don't have exact details right now, but everything is okay except for the near decade old on-board processor. I thought it would have been a problem with my video card so I updated the drivers for that and no dice. It's a smooth 60fps until I get hit with those random freezes.

Probably the cpu. I get those random freezes as well, although not often, but they're more like 3 seconds long. Still unsure what causes them, I've never experienced that before in a game.

Lijik

Replaying the game is a massive chore compared to previous games.

So many god damn unskippable nonsense in the game as well as various scripted events. If you are trying to get SSS ranks on a missions so much of your time is spend on parts of the missions that are ultimately useless to your overall ranking.

This is the primary thing putting me off from going through the missions again to seek out the secret missions

Dahbomb

Oh and OG DMC fans are going to put me on blast but I have been playing with Neo Dante for most of the game. It's not that bad of a costume especially in action.

LVL2 charged Raze also breaks the armor of those chain saw dudes.

Haunted

Checked out the first couple missions.

As someone who's not a huge fan of Devil May Cry but liked the previous games (well, 3 and 4 mostly) well enough, I think this is every bit as good as Capcom's internal ones.

Very smooth framerate, popping colours, some nice vistas. Gameplay and combat system are similar to past DMCs and other character action games.

Good job, Ninja Theory.

edit: how was the game received in Japan, I hear half of DMC4's first week?

Oh and OG DMC fans are going to put me on blast but I have been playing with Neo Dante for most of the game. It's not that bad of a costume especially in action.

LVL2 charged Raze also breaks the armor of those chain saw dudes.
I agree about the skin. I tried them all but was the only one that really looked good to me. Too bad NT didn't make it the default but I guess it wouldn't have fit in with their homeless Dante theme. They must have seen the Man of Steel trailer during development.

The game's great so far, not DMC but it doesn't feel like a cheap action game clone either. I think NT's done a good job of carving out their own niche that doesn't overlap with Bayo, NG or GoW. The presentation is really off the charts.

I just found out Steam autouploads DmC saves. Awesome. I get to play at work though only with the keyboard.

Someone (I think EatChildren) wondered about the mode switch. Keyboard controls employ both. There's "Angel/Demon Mode" (which you hold), as well as "Switch to Angel/Demon/Human" (which you just have to press). I personally still use the holding, then binded the Switch controls to anywhere since I don't use them.

I just finished the PC version on nephilim, and I really hope we end up getting a DmC 2. I thought it was fantastic, but I am also the target market they were going after with the reboot. Similar to Brad from GB, I like my action games, but I am not hardcore enough to completely master these games like some of the old school DMC guys.

I enjoyed DMC4 a few years ago, but I am going to remember more about this game. I am about to replay DMC4 now that I have a steam copy, and I might make am effort to really dig into the combat system to see where the complaints about DmCs combat are coming from.

Teknoman

I just finished the PC version on nephilim, and I really hope we end up getting a DmC 2. I thought it was fantastic, but I am also the target market they were going after with the reboot. Similar to Brad from GB, I like my action games, but I am not hardcore enough to completely master these games like some of the old school DMC guys.

I enjoyed DMC4 a few years ago, but I am going to remember more about this game. I am about to replay DMC4 now that I have a steam copy, and I might make am effort to really dig into the combat system to see where the complaints about DmCs combat are coming from.

To be far, DMC3 is perfectly beatable without mastering all the ins and outs of the styles. Just use alot of items and play like normal for the most part. Now doing some insane combos without getting hit is a different story.

.la1n

I have just started replaying on DMD and it's really a chore having to deal with the cut scenes and boss fights, really puts a damper on replaying the game as much as I did past Devil May Cry games. I do hope if Ninja Theory does a sequel they will take that into consideration as well as coming up with more creative bosses that involve no quick time events. Do away with the color coded enemies as well, they weren't as much of a bother until I started playing DMD, now they are controller throwing anger inducing.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
They should have had some way to knock the color out of enemies, such as when they're stunned. I'm fine with witches using angel weapons to crack the shield and being able to juggle them around, no idea why they thought it was a good idea in its other uses. Angel takes far too long, Demon has incredibly little variety.

To be far, DMC3 is perfectly beatable without mastering all the ins and outs of the styles. Just use alot of items and play like normal for the most part. Now doing some insane combos without getting hit is a different story.

Yea, I didn't play 3, only 1,4, and DmC The insane combos are what I am talking about when I mention mastering the combat system, Ive never really spent the time required with one of these games to get on that level. I am able to beat these games on respectable difficulties, but it's with much less style than these other guys lol.

DeVeAn

The story was awesome in this game mostly because I can understand it. It was so convoluted in the past games. Great reboot IMO. Great job Capcom/Ninja Theory.

The story was awesome in this game mostly because I can understand it. It was so convoluted in the past games. Great reboot IMO. Great job Capcom/Ninja Theory.

I agree here as well, I enjoyed the story quite a bit. I have been a Ninja Theory fan before this game though, and I seem to be one of the few people that really loved Enslaved.

Tbh, I kinda hope in DmC2 they bring back that combo mechanic from 3 where special moves would change when you mashed. I kinda miss it. ;_; They kinda have it with stinger going into trillion stab, but it's not the same. I miss that stupid little circle that would pop up when you did it. xD

I think Heavenly Sword 2 would be pretty godlike after this. Just get Mr. Garland to pen the script as opposed to supervising...

iavi

I wonder if they'll make a Heavenly Sword 2 or Enslaved 2, complete with what they learned here.

Namco's probably never going to let them touch Enslaved again. Same thing with sony and HS.

They did say that they already have projects lined up after DmC, so who knows, though. DmC2 is almost a guarantee given the praise Capcom gave NT, the critical reception of the game, and the seemingly good sales.

I was a fan of their flair after Enslaved, but it needed a lot of work in the gameplay dept. After DmC, though, I'm on board. They've learned.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I just want a DmC2 already now with the combat upgraded a bit.

The flow of the combat in this game is so good, it's the little things that hold it back.

Dahbomb

Game still needs a ton of adjustments for a sequel. Colored enemies alone break the flow of combat completely along with various issues in the mechanics.

I can't tell if this is a serious post or not.

Mission accomplished

The flow of the combat in this game is so good, it's the little things that hold it back.

Lock-on, better, more interesting move sets for the Demon weapons and enemies actually worth fighting would make for a good sequel.

Even the best enemy in this game, Dreamrunner/Drekavac, are easy as hell to manipulate once you get a grasp of them.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Even with out the lock on I dont have issues targeting things to the left right and middle of me even if the left and right guys are behind the middle dude, I just tilt the direction and the game seems to know what I wanted.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Even with out the lock on I dont have issues targeting things to the left right and middle of me even if the left and right guys are behind the middle dude, I just tilt the direction and the game seems to know what I wanted.

It gets sloppy on DMD when there's 5-6 normal enemies and 3-4 flying in the air on top of it. Harpies are insanely annoying, so I try to shoot them with Kablooey and on occasion Dante will constantly shoot at wrong enemies due to them moving around so much. It seems to try to prioritize them but it doesn't always work.

Also gets annoying trying to do round trip on a witch that went behind a horde of enemies and having him toss it to the wrong person when I'm tilting towards the witch.

For the most part it wasn't an issue but the game would definitely benefit from it, especially since I exclusively dodge on the right bumper.

Anteater

It gets annoying because a lot of the enemies have a dashing or teleport move that would warp them off screen, that combining with air enemies and stupid witch and the big ass barrier shit that blocks everything is agitating, then there's the whole camera auto adjust when you're near a wall of an arena.

Beat SOS today and I'm not sure I'll even bother with DMD. The color coded enemies are beyond annoying and all the fucking glitches I've encountered have driven me mad.

My favorite is when I was at the end of a wave and I had to restart because an tyrant or some shit fell of the stage but didn't die. Oh I also liked when I had to restart a boss because it glitched and stopped taking damage. So awesome.

Levito

Banned
Just finished the game, absolutely loved it. Had a much better time with this game than DMC4. Not as good as DMC1 or DMC3, but it was excellent.

Played on PC, did anyone else have lip syncing/sound issues? Sometimes when I was playing the lip syncing was WAY off.

antitrop

Just finished the game, absolutely loved it. Had a much better time with this game than DMC4. Not as good as DMC1 or DMC3, but it was excellent.

Played on PC, did anyone else have lip syncing/sound issues? Sometimes with I was playing the lip syncing was WAY off.

Happened every time when I alt+tab'd during cutscenes.

Just watched the Angry Joe review. Hard to believe he gave this the same rating as he did Dragon's Dogma.

Both are Capcom games, both with DLC and different issues surrounding them. Although, DmC is on my radar now for a sub 20 purchase down the road.

Also lol at the emo song in the vid.

Holy crap. I'm doing SoS run and I just notice that I tricked the game so badly in Mission 3 and 4.

Mission 3: I saw the rose on the top, so knowing how Devil Pull works, I grabbed an enemy and and step on it. Repeated it until I got to the rose. That was during my Nephilim run. This time I decided to just defeat the enemies and then see how it worked out. Then I notice all the other places I couldn't access before are now open. Damn, why doesn't NT let you know what you can and can't grab.

Mission 4: In the demo I used to get an enemy and then get to the top part of the left building to get one of the 2 cameras. So I did the same to avoid the "platforming" of the left side. Killed the left camera and did the same for the right camera, grabbed an enemy and got to the part where I could kill the right camera. So after I beat the enemies the blocked door open. So I just went for the secret doors and left. Now in my SoS run, I decided to have fun with the enemies and just do the platforming. Well to my surprised, there was a cutscene that will activate the platforming in the left side and I didn't get that the first time I played it!

But yeah, I tricked the game. This is just unexpected in a nice way. lol

Loving that
BOB BARBAS with aerial mob views
boss fight, it's the best one yet after the
Succubus f'you
boss fight.

The game doesn't seem to have many bosses so far but the ones I've fought have been just great!

Namco's probably never going to let them touch Enslaved again. Same thing with sony and HS.

They did say that they already have projects lined up after DmC, so who knows, though. DmC2 is almost a guarantee given the praise Capcom gave NT, the critical reception of the game, and the seemingly good sales.

I was a fan of their flair after Enslaved, but it needed a lot of work in the gameplay dept. After DmC, though, I'm on board. They've learned.

Yeah. about that.....

Strategies based around using items in a DMC game are not recommended.

Using items outside of messing up and learning stuff is all they are there for, by the time you learn the ins and outs of stuff you should never touch a single item. I cleared neph never using a single one and I never plan on touching them ever on any mode.

Let's be realistic here, I don't think anyone playing through DmD mode in order to get closer to the plat is going to be all that concerned about whether or not they use items as a last resort.

Narolf

Banned
Mission accomplished

Right.

Coincidentally, what stopped me in my run at the store was a platform sequence at the end of the second chapter. Got stuck, tried to find the solution for ten minutes. Had no idea of where to go so I dropped the ball, and I refused resorting to the game's optional clues. Yep.

Endo Punk

This thread is too damn postive! You guys been drinking that virility shit :p

Here's a neat review that just popped up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0a_QlurNZU

Of course the guy likes the original DMC and is not to be trusted. I mean DmC is universally appreciated and not in any way takes step back to regress what the franchise has achieved thus far. Also the story is totally not childish, totally!
/sarcasm

Seriously the review is legit imo. DmC is just DMC except it traded flaws, better level design & platforming for a poorer story, characters and gameplay unless you like to be rewarded for no effort to stay in the air :p

I don't care if Capcom goes this route but please no more Ninja Theory, they have not matured the franchise at all and wasn't that the goal?

Top Bottom