• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I said it before like 3 times probably and I'll say it again.

I really like the new dante over old dante. Personality and all.

He feels closer to an actual character now than a random video game character that makes you go OH LOOK AT DAT WACKY DUDEZ

New vergil is meh though, well I never really liked Vergil in the first place though.

DigitalOp

Banned
DmC for Vita.

Does this game's approval go up or down if that ever happened?

I think Im waiting for a 20$ price point to join the fun but if there was a Vita version (snowballs chance in hell), Id buy it at regular MSRP

BadAss2961

He feels closer to an actual character now than a random video game character that makes you go OH LOOK AT DAT WACKY DUDEZ

New vergil is meh though, well I never really liked Vergil in the first place though.
That's part of what I like about Dante though. While everyone is going the serious route now, he's just having a good time. Especially in DMC4 where he's pretty much a god amongst men and knows it.

Jackpot

Banned
One thing I didn't like was that the Devil Trigger adds nothing move-wise. It's just a freeze time button so you can get your hits in.

Guess Who

Banned

It really bothered me how one minute he'd be talking all princely and proper, and the next minute he'd be telling Dante about his superior dick. Just came off as lazy out-of-character writing for the sake of "witty" banter.

Erasus

Game scrubs up pretty nicely on PC.

dmc100uvs.png

Its crazy how textures are hidden on consoles due to the low resolution. FFXII shows this on PS2 to an amazing degree. That door for example.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It really bothered me how one minute he'd be talking all princely and proper, and the next minute he'd be telling Dante about his superior dick. Just came off as lazy out-of-character writing for the sake of "witty" banter.

Nah that made sense, at that time it was a bonding moment between two brothers. If you have a brother or really close friend yeah....

I'd see that as a insult.

El shaddai is the very definition of style, dubious style at that, over substance.

Dubious... what?! Granted, El Shaddai is a polarising game, but not where style is concerned. The art direction and style has always gotten unanimous praise and that's primarily why I'm linking it to DmC. If folks love the sensory overload that is the Nightclub level, then they should check out El Shaddai because practically the whole game is like that.

And it may not have the deepest combat system ever but the substance is there, it's just... deceptively simple. I know from experience that, after getting G ranks in all the levels on hard mode, there's a lot more nuance involved than what a run through on normal mode might suggest.

Its crazy how textures are hidden on consoles due to the low resolution. FFXII shows this on PS2 to an amazing degree. That door for example.

Somebody should post comparison pics of Dark Souls on consoles vs. PC. I don't think anybody defended the piss-poor port after seeing those.

KorrZ

Every time a blue enemy shows up on higher difficulty, I die a little inside. More Round trip abuse, more weak ass weapon time. Red enemies not that much better.

I think the red enemies are much worse. Sure you can abuse Round Trip with the blue enemies, but at least you have a somewhat decent amount of moves if you use both Aquila and Osiris against them, can do some cool looking stuff and keep it somewhat varied. Red enemies uh...Trinity Smash?

Finished the game on Nephalem and am now halfway through in Son of Sparda. I was gonna try to plat this game but after I completed all secret missions it still gave me no trophy. In game trophy menu shows 20/21 but the secret mission menu shows all completed *sigh*. I guess after I have done all else or get stuck I need to try make another save file and just rush through the game in easiest mode and doing it again gettin all secret levels...

I really like the game tho. Its my favourite DMC game and I like that the story is more character driven and that Dante is actually a character. All the locations are great too and I like the bosses. Tho the third boss even in SoS is a complete joke.

Anyone who has access to Dante must Die how does it compare to SoS? Is it much harder?

Xevren

Finished the game on Nephalem and am now halfway through in Son of Sparda. I was gonna try to plat this game but after I completed all secret missions it still gave me no trophy. In game trophy menu shows 20/21 but the secret mission menu shows all completed *sigh*. I guess after I have done all else or get stuck I need to try make another save file and just rush through the game in easiest mode and doing it again gettin all secret levels...

I really like the game tho. Its my favourite DMC game and I like that the story is more character driven and that Dante is actually a character. All the locations are great too and I like the bosses. Tho the third boss even in SoS is a complete joke.

Anyone who has access to Dante must Die how does it compare to SoS? Is it much harder?

DmD really isn't that much harder than SoS. Game as a whole is pretty easy.

Dahbomb

DmD is harder than SoS, enemies are for sure they have a ton of health and they DT frequently. Other than that if you beat SoS you should be able to beat DMD as well.

It's a little bit harder, but not by much. Here's the thing, in DmD mode you're given a huge amount of red orbs for killing enemies, so you can use those to easily stock up on gold orbs and those devil trigger stars. When you encounter some of the more gruelling battles, like a couple of Dreamrunners and a Witch at the same time, just brake out the devil trigger and make short work of them. By the time I was done with that mode, I had no more item slots to spend my red orbs.

Whatever you do, don't tackle Hell and Hell mode until you're done with DmD. You'll want the Super Dante unlock so that you can render make HaH a cakewalk.

Dahbomb

It's a little bit harder, but not by much. Here's the thing, in DmD mode you're given a huge amount of red orbs for killing enemies, so you can use those to easily stock up on gold orbs and those devil trigger stars. When you encounter some of the more gruelling battles, like a couple of Dreamrunners and a Witch at the same time, just brake out the devil trigger and make short work of them. By the time I was done with that mode, I had no more item slots to spend my red orbs.
Strategies based around using items in a DMC game are not recommended.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Using items outside of messing up and learning stuff is all they are there for, by the time you learn the ins and outs of stuff you should never touch a single item. I cleared neph never using a single one and I never plan on touching them ever on any mode.

Any tips how to SSS the last mission in Nephalem?
I manage to do SS quite easily and kill Vergil under the 3 min time limit to get SSS on timer. The problem is the style bonus. I dunno how best rack points in that stage, I just try to keep myself from taking damage by parrying/reflecting his ranged attacks and jump/helmbreaker when he appears from air but he will break the chain eventually. The rating never goes above B either for me I think...

Veelk

Banned
Does anyone have a PC save file they can spare? Ideally, I'd really like it if all that was on it was one completed playthrough on Nephilim.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think the red enemies are much worse. Sure you can abuse Round Trip with the blue enemies, but at least you have a somewhat decent amount of moves if you use both Aquila and Osiris against them, can do some cool looking stuff and keep it somewhat varied. Red enemies uh...Trinity Smash?

Really? You can dispatch red ones really easily since those weapons are so much more powerful. Eryx is especially great to use against them. Blue enemies seem like they have a never ending amount of health because of how little damage the blue weapons do.

GRAPHICS
Just finished this game. I have played every dmc game out there and this is by far one of the worst ones. Graphics and art style don't do it for me. Dante's face looks like a real douche. The scenery was either some crappy buildings or some weird clownish stages and of course the bad guy cave. There were some cool stages and effects but they were few and far between.
STORY
The story sucked, I felt like I was watching a bad movie with amateur acting. Seriously, watch the cutscenes and see Dante barely having any character development. He's one tone about everything, looks like one of those annoying teenage brats who think it's cool to be a rebel. Virgil's acting was better but he's not the main character.

Kat is your generic little helper that you find in many games, except more bland. Mundus is your typical mafia bad guy. I did however like that they tied in politics, media and products with demons. It relates with the real world in a way that demonstrates people are after power and money and they will lie, cheat and steal even at the people's expense in order to succeed.

GAMEPLAY
All boss battles were bad. I felt like I was playing a ps1 game. Slash, dodge and repeat is essentially what it was. The weapons were spread out through the whole game and the upgrades kinda sucked for the most part. In the other games, upgrades were something to look forwards to. Dante's gameplay is still fun but to me it's not as good as the other ones. Most missions were generic. Run around, shoot some spiders, get a key, run back, shoot more spiders, hack and slash the same type of enemies over and over, jump and use whip, shoot spiders again, shoot yellow hedgehog blades, beat the twin cats and face boss. See beginning of paragraph on how to beat bosses.

Conclusion
-This game got a bad rep during development and Capcom advised people to try it before we judge. Well I gave it a chance and this is not the game I want. It's not that great. At first they were making dante an emo, then they decided to go with a jersey shore type of douche almost. Dante felt incredibly stupid and lacking substance.

The original dante had charm and style. He would make witty jokes all over. He was cocky, but the kind that's hard to hate. If he wasn't fighting demons, he would enjoy some pizza or a strawberry sundae like a boss. He had a fun way to flirt with women, not some angry teenage kid behaviour.

Even Nero from DMC4 started acting like an angry kid early on but he showed much more character development and emotion then this generic punk from DmC.

If Capcom decide to make another DMC game, I hope they go back to the original dante type of game and story for next gen consoles. It's something I would look forward to and buy.

Edit: Devil Trigger in this game is by far absolutely the worst one I have ever seen in any transformation type of game. All it is you change your hair white, become a little fast and stronger, all enemies jump to the air and you have a few seconds to beat them before you return to normal.

Veelk

Banned
100% Nephilim save file, http://www.mediafire.com/?3a0793gkaqta0ls

Goes into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\[usernumber]\220440\

Someone in the Steam forums tried it and couldn't get it to work, good luck.

Nope, nothing. And like I said, I don't want a 100% complete file. Just 1 playthrough, so that I have all the abilities and some upgrades, and hidden secrets, but still have to work to find and unlock some other stuff. Basically, what I'm trying to do is transfer my xbox file to my PC in the closest way possible.

Jawmuncher

I have to say I agree, really liking this new dante over the old. He really does feel more like a character, halfway through the game opinion might change but I doubt it.

Also for being halfway through I'm already enjoying this the most out of any DMC game. Well see if that changes but just like I said earlier I doubt.

Lastly I really enjoy this reboots setting a lot to.
Some might say it wasn't need but I'm glad it got rebooted. Really liking this new coat of paint.

If they continue the new series I hope they are able to make a good continous narrative. I didn't like too much how the old series never really felt that it had an overarching story. There were only some small connections.
We now have a villain for next game since Vergil is alive, they could go bust Sparda out for some reason, keep Kat, some new demon takes over the rampaging demons in the real world? Maybe even make Sparda the bad guy.

I mean I know it isn't story focused game but I liked what they did in this one.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
OG Dante may have been a one dimension charicature, but damnit he was fun.

I just finished DmC, and the new Dante didn't grow on me at all.

Oh yeah, Sparda was a punk bitch in this. Dude was the basically the baddest motherfucker ever, with a seed manly enough to sprout another 2 bad motherfuckers IN THE SAME CONCEPTION

Not enough games with self aware bad motherfuckers lately. I don't want to relate to people, it's an action game. Am I supposed to relate to Arnold in Commando? Dude kills like 200 people in the space of 10 minutes then has a touching reunion with his daughter. It makes no sense but it's entertaining, son. I wanna see a dude fuck shit up and leave nothing but chaos in their wake

Big reason why I liked Wei Shen
motherfucker

haikira

Man the
Virgil
fight is infuriating on HaH. Lock on would go a long way on that fight.

I know it's an obvious twist, for series vets. But perhaps spoiler tagging the end boss is a good idea, for new comers?

This thread has been really lax on spoilers. I had to bail from this thread the other week, because i got a load of spoilers, before the game was even out.

Ok, I finished DmC, didn't want to say anything good or bad until I played the game, so let me point out my PROS and CONS of the game by sections:

GRAPHICS
Pros:
- Everything, the game looks amazing. The stages are just so inspiring and fun to see. You always wonder what will happen next.
Cons:
- UI is boring as hell.
- Unreal Engine 3 Pop-ups.
- Training mode doesn't have Weapons Switching UI.
- Weapons Switching UI is hard to see sometimes.

GAMEPLAY
Pros:
- Easier to play (For Casual people.)
- Fun Weapons to use.
- Interesting "platforming."
- Good way to mask QTEs.
- Exploration tends to reward you.
- 100% Playable without Lock-on.
- Parry system is enjoyable and I like how you can bounce enemies projectiles back.
Cons:
- No LOCK-ON, even though its playable, having it would had made the game better.
- Annoying Angel/Demon only enemies. Allow us to use all the weapons make them do 1% damage and the proper color weapons to do the normal damage. Do not limit the player on their movesets.
- Only 4 Melee Weapons.
- No Taunt (I pressed Select so many times after something awesome and a menu pop-up =( )
- Rating System doesn't punish you properly.
- Stand Switching not responsive as it should be sometimes.
- 3 Kinds of Dodges? Give me something else, like teleports.
- Devil Dodge is really really really good.
- Devil Trigger is boring.
- Not tall enough tunnels are a no no in DMC. We need the Juggles and I can't Juggle if the ceiling is just this close to my character head!

STORY
Pros:
- Dante is likable, he is less of a douche than what the trailers portrait him to be.
- Story was enjoyable, liked Kat and Vergil to some extend. But it feels that they could have "told" more for more character development. But I think it did its job to give you a reason to advance.
-
Loved the way they use the environment to tell the story (Using Graphitti as illustrations)
- I like the direction the story takes in the end.
-
Mundus caring? I think that was interesting.
Cons:
-
Sparda isn't shown to be a badass and its forgotten really quickly. =(
- I still dislike Dante looks. Yes, his looks is a consequence of the story direction.
- The pacing of the Story between Missions, sometimes they end really abruptly.
- Vergil needed more screen time and less fedora.
- Kat is fragile female character, miss the badass females characters from DMC.
-
How the game ends is really odd... it just, finishes.
-
Whats up with the Angels? I see them in most "flashbacks" but not at all in the story. Why not?

CUTSCENES/ART/GAMEPLAY CINEMATICS
Pros:
- The amazing world makes the cutscenes something amazing to see.
- Love the difference in colors between Limbo and normal world.
- Great facial performance and you can definitely see the expressions and reactions.
- Great voice acting.
- The LAST HIT effect in fights is awesome, also all those close-ups for certain attacks.
- Did have some good funny dialogues and moments.
Cons:
- Most of the In-game Cinematics are Dante doing the same "cool" sliding landing. Gets boring really quickly.
- No amazing fighting choreography.
-
Sex scenes with Mundus and Lilith
is was unnecessary.
- Not enough
Vergil and Dante
funny moments.
- In many scenes they missed the chance to do a awesome choreography, but instead they just did something simpler.

ENEMIES
Pros:
- Good looking enemies design.
- Enemies can parry you.
Cons:
- No memorable bosses.
Not even Bob was memorable IMO. Only Vergil was cool, but I wish they had a Scenary change ala Bayonetta final fight
- Colors specific weapons enemies.
-
Bosses don't have many different patterns.

Capcom/Ninja Theory DECISIONS
Good:
- Capcom making a different take on DMC.
- Ninja Theory making it.
- Releasing a PC version that runs at 60fps.
- Releasing DMC3 Dante outfit.
BAD:
- Capcom calling it a REBOOT. They should have called it a SPIN-OFF.
- Releasing the game on consoles at 30fps with the excuse that it feels like 60fps.
- Not using
Blue Hair Kat. =(
- Kat final design.
- Dante final design.
- DLC Prices. Well its Capcom.

Overall: 8/10

My DMC order is: DMC3 > DMC4 > DMC1=DmC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DMC2

Anyways, I am one of those who hate the idea of a reboot on a series that didn't need it, I think RE needs one more IMO. But still, I can definitely say that I enjoyed this game. Will I put it on top of the original DMCs? Of course not, but will I be angry if they do DmC2 and DMC5? Hell no, the more DMC/DmC the better for me.

But if you are going to play this game, 60fps is the way to go.

BTW one of KAT sketches (the one with the blond hair) is a perfect Trish/Lady. I would prefer it it was Lady and I hope they use that design for DmC2.

TLTR: Hated the idea of DMC reboot, played DmC Liked it. Still DMC>DmC. I will accept DmC2 and DMC5 if possible.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Edit: Devil Trigger in this game is by far absolutely the worst one I have ever seen in any transformation type of game. All it is you change your hair white, become a little fast and stronger, all enemies jump to the air and you have a few seconds to beat them before you return to normal.

Better than god of war's

Lijik

The thing about the
Bob
bossfight that really endears it to me beyond the obviously great presentation is
Its a better 3D platformer boss than the vast majority of 3D platformers. Not that great for an action game for sure, but still a solid design nonetheless.
Outside of that and
Vergil
all of the bosses felt the same.
Mundus
was especially bad since it was basically the
Succubus
down to the "Grapple to the next arena!" aspect.

Hagi

Just finished this on the PC absolutely gorgeous game. Probably has the worst boss fights in recent memory, Mundus in particular being terrible. Kinda shocking really to fuck over your "big bad" with such a mundane fight.
A giant building really? thats the best you can come up with? ripping off DMC2 and other bosses from your own game smh.
I had more fun fighting those awesome dream walkers.

I generally liked the story but post the club it kinda took a nosedive and ended like most NT games on a flat note. Good game though, combat wasn't as nearly as bad as i thought it was going to be. Aquila is so much fun to use. I hope they get to make a sequel i'd like to see where they can take this. Hopefully introduce the angels.

Oh and fuck colour coded enemies, fuck them.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Ugh, this game is starting to wear thin. I'm at the
dance gauntlet challenge
and the timed missions are really irritating me. As if the platforming sections weren't bad enough.

I'm so sad about how bad this game runs on my PC for some reason(randomly freezes for 5-10 seconds, thus ruining my combos), but I'm trying to push through since it's lots of fun...

Top Bottom