• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Mike M

Nick N
But even the biggest fan of demon-slapping bikes must admit that new DmC story has interesting elements (the whole "political" edge of it) and is told in a striking visual manner.

Ehhhhh... I liked the fact that the plot was more grounded, but it's still about Dante getting recruited by Anonymous to take down the CEO of Goldman Sachs by blowing up his Slurm factory and Fox News. I appreciate that they were going for a social commentary thing, but it's absurdly ham fisted and comes across like they were playing Mad Libs with news headlines from three years ago. It is the definition of tryhard.

This is not a comment about gameplay, but DmC's tone is not unlike Duke Nukem Forever. There's this guy who acts a certain way out of line with everyone else and nobody goes "Jeez, what's up with this douchebag?"

I felt like Dante in the older games was a dork (like most of Kamiya's protagonists) and everyone knew he was a dork but didn't mind because he was a capable fighter. Everyone kind of rolled their eyes at him. Meanwhile, new Dante is a dork but no one treats him like he's anything but awesome.

Ehhhhh... I liked the fact that the plot was more grounded, but it's still about Dante getting recruited by Anonymous to take down the CEO of Goldman Sachs by blowing up his Slurm factory and Fox News. I appreciate that they were going for a social commentary thing, but it's absurdly ham fisted and comes across like they were playing Mad Libs with news headlines from three years ago. It is the definition of tryhard.
The plot of DmC is written by a middle-school student and takes itself seriously - as a middle-school student would do.

LegatoB

But even the biggest fan of demon-slapping bikes must admit that new DmC story has interesting elements (the whole "political" edge of it) and is told in a striking visual manner.
"
Bill O'Reilly is literally a demon from Hell and Fox News is a cover for mind-control programs and a demon jail for political prisoners
" isn't what I'd call "interesting." More like "somehow more embarrassingly adolescent than Devil May Fuckin' Cry."

"Bill O'Reilly is literally a demon from Hell and Fox News is a cover for mind-control programs and a demon jail for political prisoners" isn't what I'd call "interesting." More like "somehow more embarrassingly adolescent than Devil May Fuckin' Cry."
Joss Whedon would love that shit.

I imagine Whedon could have done a better job with it.

I feel like, if V for Vendetta could have taken the exact same concept and done better with it, DmC should have been able to at least expound on it a little.

Dahbomb

It has interesting elements and told in a striking visual manner but it's not whole fully entertaining like the cutscenes of the older games and feels like a bunch of tropes and themes copied from other media (like movies). Nothing really comes out of the whole social commentary that NT has injected in the game or the creative liberties they took with the franchise. I would be more interesting if the story was written better or had more meat to it but in the end it's not much better than the previous games and considering how much effort NT put into putting down the old series in terms of narratives and characters... I would say they themselves failed to reach that mark.

On my 2nd playthrough I can't press the Select/Back button fast enough to skip all of the cutscenes and mission to mission cutscenes in between really get old extremely fast.

Just saw the video review and outside of the huge amount of time spent on new Dante, the guy brought up legit complaints that have been talked about already:

*No lock on
*Colored enemies
*Bosses are garbage
*Default difficulty not up to snuff
*2 dedicated dodge buttons are unnecessary
*Simplified overall combat, no styles system
*Story and characters not all that cracked up to be

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The cutscenes in previous games were done in that style in an effort to match the gameplay, which is sort of redundant nowadays because it's perfectly natural for gameplay and cutscenes to run by completely different rules within the game logic. Dante's characterization and character design were over the top to fit that scheme as well, but now a game protagonist's characterization can contradict the game mechanics built around him without being out of place, and there are definitely games guilty of much worse in that regard.

It's pretty obvious that old Dante was designed around the game he inhabits, not vice versa, but that's so completely unnecessary now because we accept a big enough gap between narrative and mechanics. Games need relatable everyman as protagonists instead of ridiculous cartoon characters now, so I can understand why new Dante fits better for a 2013 game. Seeing someone make the same quip or react the same way you would in a part of the story is more interesting to some people than watching an outsider make light of the entire situation through antics.

That's a huge problem I have with gaming today.

Korigama

I would say a large part of the videogaming community finds that style uninteresting and considered it a problem.
Not the segment who actually buy these games, apparently, going by DmC's sales lagging behind its predecessors.

Personally I can't stand "oh, this is so bad/ridiculos is good" anymore. Not even trying to do something meaningful sounds immature to me, even more than the pathetic attempts at mature plots in FPSs.

And, yes, of course I speak subjectively.
By meaningful, do you mean there being a narrative driven by conflict, or the creators attempting to make some sort of political statement with how they present it? I view the latter as unnecessary.

Can't say I did. I didn't find anything particularly riveting (or clever) about the angle of demons controlling the world from behind the scenes. Ending spoilers:
the twitter messages and the "We Have Awoken" bit was pretty cheesy as well, and not in a fun way.
The cutscenes in previous games were done in that style in an effort to match the gameplay, which is sort of redundant nowadays because it's perfectly natural for gameplay and cutscenes to run by completely different rules within the game logic. Dante's characterization and character design were over the top to fit that scheme as well, but now a game protagonist's characterization can contradict the game mechanics built around him without being out of place, and there are definitely games guilty of much worse in that regard.

It's pretty obvious that old Dante was designed around the game he inhabits, not vice versa, but that's so completely unnecessary now because we accept a big enough gap between narrative and mechanics. Games need relatable everyman as protagonists instead of ridiculous cartoon characters now, so I can understand why new Dante fits better for a 2013 game. Seeing someone make the same quip or react the same way you would in a part of the story is more interesting to some people than watching an outsider make light of the entire situation through antics.
DmC Dante is neither any more relatable nor an everyman than the original Dante was. They're both cartoon characters who resolve things in a manner that no living person is capable of doing, albeit characterized differently.

vg260

Donte is far from being an unlikable asshole. People that keep going on about that are not worth listening to. That review is neither neat or legit.

I'm only three missions in, but I really don't have issues with the character so far. The very first trailer with him being a cool smoker gave a really bad impression. Maybe they changed him due to feedback.

Dahbomb

I don't relate with new Dante anymore than I related with old Dante... except I have similar hair color to new Dante. Biologically I am closer to old Dante than new Dante!

Andrew.

Banned
Finished it yesterday on Nephilim and I absolutley loved it. Everything from the acting, mo cap, and facial expressions to the art style and music, I was all over it. It was a bit easy on Nephilim, but I'm already itching to go back on SOS and finish gathering all the keys and lost souls.

Someone needs to make a compilation of all the cutscenes tied together. It would be glorious.

And I found Dante's (End boss spoiler)
"You're an asshole!" shout to Mundus at the end to be way more entertaining than the "Fuck you" scene. I mean that asshole line just really came out of left field.

It has interesting elements and told in a striking visual manner but it's not whole fully entertaining like the cutscenes of the older games and feels like a bunch of tropes and themes copied from other media (like movies). Nothing really comes out of the whole social commentary that NT has injected in the game or the creative liberties they took with the franchise. I would be more interesting if the story was written better or had more meat to it but in the end it's not much better than the previous games and considering how much effort NT put into putting down the old series in terms of narratives and characters... I would say they themselves failed to reach that mark.

On my 2nd playthrough I can't press the Select/Back button fast enough to skip all of the cutscenes and mission to mission cutscenes in between really get old extremely fast.

Just saw the video review and outside of the huge amount of time spent on new Dante, the guy brought up legit complaints that have been talked about already:

*No lock on
*Colored enemies
*Bosses are garbage
*Default difficulty not up to snuff
*2 dedicated dodge buttons are unnecessary
*Simplified overall combat, no styles system
*Story and characters not all that cracked up to be
I hardly ever see those issues addressed, defenders of the game keep trying to bring it back to the narrative. 3 (or maybe 4) of those issues were directly tied to the control scheme they used, which is why I assume there are colored enemies (to justify the colors) but not enough buttons for styles or lock on. It's an extremely strange decision, because I don't see how it's actually any easier or more intuitive than the old system.
That's a huge problem I have with gaming today.
I don't know how I feel about it in general, but I do know how I feel about this particular instance of that trend. In any case, I just want to make the point that both characterizations were very calculated choices and if you have a big problem with either it's more likely that you have a problem with the game's design philosophy more than the character itself.

Dahbomb

It's easier than the old systems because you only need to make single inputs to perform actions like Dodge and Launcher (where as before it was 2 buttons plus a directional input), which are the core parts of DMC. Those things were mechanics that many people didn't learn until deep into the games and just mostly relied on regular jumping for evading and normal hack n slash for damage.

It's because of these changes that the game does not and cannot have a bigger movelist on weapons or even have a dedicated style button. This is all old news though, I talked about this like a year ago when the control inputs were released.

Dahbomb

Old Dante's zaniness was a product of the fact the dude is an unstoppable demigod.
I feel that the Japanese studios was running out of ideas to challenge Dante with so they took the Superman route of Dante being god. Ever since Dante beat Mundus in DMC1 (a demi-god in the series) he was the undisputed strongest entity in his own universe. It's completely uninteresting to me now. Dante needs a challenge or something threatening so he can go into serious mode now. I want to see pissed off, enraged Dante tapping into his DDT to defeat an enemy in a cutscene or something. They have to expand the universe of DMC more.

plz_put_Vergil_in_DMC5

It's because of these changes that the game does not and cannot have a bigger movelist on weapons or even have a dedicated style button. This is all old news though, I talked about this like a year ago when the control inputs were released.

They could've had more moves, and I wish they did. Forward-foward air moves and forward-forward "launcher" moves plus a hold move on the axe would've gone a long way. Bayonetta also showed that rotating the left stick + button is a really good alternative input for the genre.

I understand the reasoning behind 2 dodge buttons, (its really hard for me to press RB/RT at the same time to demon dodge, therefore, i rarely used it until i figured out lb was also a dodge button) Its very non-ergonomic to hit both side buttons at the same time for most people who don't have the dexterity to do so. Myself included.

With that said, Maybe some sort of click lock on might've been sufficient (right stick press in maybe, since you only need to click both for DT) which is the main thing this game desperately needs as I'm playing around with it more. Otherwise, as a big fan of DMC in general, but not having the skill to get anything above A and sometimes S in previous DMC games, this game is right up my alley. While the story itself can be questioned on its quality, I'm a big fan of its characterization thus far.

Color coded enemies are definitely a sore thumb though. A simple fix such as letting attacks go through them or simply not damage them would easily circumvent this, though i suppose its for the player to emphasize their positioning during battles (which also explains the various environmental hazards/pitfalls in various arenas as well)

Overall, I think this game is a really great entry, and I do enjoy the thematic change as I've gotten older (I felt DMC4 really hammed it up to a detriment since replaying it before this game's release) And if nothing else, Limbo makes for some visually striking level design and gets them away from the constant Gothic architecture that dominated the series for so long. That said, DMC3 is still my favorite in the series bar none

Stopping in here because I never bothered playing the original series, enjoyed people making fun of this game before release because of my experience with Ninja Theory, and wanted to see how things turned out.

Sounds like this would be a fun romp for someone with no vested interest in the original series? Best platform would be PC because of no locked fps? General consensus from people who have actually played it is it's fun and NT's best game, but the story and difficulty are ass?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Stopping in here because I never bothered playing the original series, enjoyed people making fun of this game before release because of my experience with Ninja Theory, and wanted to see how things turned out.

Sounds like this would be a fun romp for someone with no vested interest in the original series? Best platform would be PC because of no locked fps? General consensus from people who have actually played it is it's fun and NT's best game, but the story and difficulty are ass?

Story and bosses are lame, game is piss easy, but it's still a good game. If you never played any of the other ones you'll probably really like it. And yeah, go PC. Also get DMC HD afterwards.

Dahbomb

Yeah the game is fun and NT's best game. Story isn't "ass" but it's not as good as NT's previous efforts.

People who never played DMC (or most of the other action games) are in for a treat that is for sure.

They could've had more moves, and I wish they did. Forward-foward air moves and forward-forward "launcher" moves plus a hold move on the axe would've gone a long way. Bayonetta also showed that rotating the left stick + button is a really good alternative input for the genre.
Forward, forward moves are fucking terrible as it is.

I play games for their stories (A bold choice) and I can usually go with some terrible stories and to be honest, I quite like DmC's story. I'm only up to the club at the moment, but so far I can't really complain.

It's easier than the old systems because you only need to make single inputs to perform actions like Dodge and Launcher (where as before it was 2 buttons plus a directional input), which are the core parts of DMC. Those things were mechanics that many people didn't learn until deep into the games and just mostly relied on regular jumping for evading and normal hack n slash for damage.

I suppose, but I still don't see any justification for the colored enemies outside of "....and that is why you have angel and demon weapons with the triggers!", which just seems silly because it's piling on more problems on top of an existing problem.
I feel that the Japanese studios was running out of ideas to challenge Dante with so they took the Superman route of Dante being god. Ever since Dante beat Mundus in DMC1 (a demi-god in the series) he was the undisputed strongest entity in his own universe. It's completely uninteresting to me now. Dante needs a challenge or something threatening so he can go into serious mode now. I want to see pissed off, enraged Dante tapping into his DDT to defeat an enemy in a cutscene or something. They have to expand the universe of DMC more.

plz_put_Vergil_in_DMC5
They did create something stronger than Dante. Tameem killed Dante when even Mundus couldn't! *rimshot*

I get what you mean, Dante seems like he was just out for some fun in DMC4, and his connection to Vergil and by proxy to Nero was the only thing keeping him remotely interested. He could've DT exploded distorted real impacted Savior to the next dimension if he didn't want Nero to be the one to take it down.

Pretty much.

I want to see pissed off, enraged Dante tapping into his DDT to defeat an enemy in a cutscene or something.

I feel like I've only just seen this happen...

Dante being sort of un-killable has been there from the beginning. Problem always has been finding something compelling for him to do. Killing Bill O' Reilly wasn't quite what I was picturing, however.

Gbraga

Vergil taking over Nero's body halfway through DMC5 so we can get 3 playable characters for Bloody Palace, in the end we find out that he did it to protect Nero by being the required sacrifice to do whatever instead of Nero/Dante.

We could even have a legendary Dante / Vergil fight in their Uncle version.

Or whatever, just give me back Vergil.

And hire tragic for DmC2

People who never played DMC (or most of the other action games) are in for a treat that is for sure.

To be quite honest I'm having a blast with it, I really like this game. The combat is not on DMC4 levels, but nothing else is, we can't even know for sure if DMC5 would surpass 4 in terms of combat.

ultron87

My favorite story telling scene is the one where they are at the playground and Vergil is giving Dante an info dump where it uses all the graffiti in the background to illustrate the story. It makes a long exposition scene fairly interesting visually.

Mike M

Nick N
Is there any info that exists outside of DMC4 confirming that Nero is Vergil's son? Or is it just supposed to be so obvious they left it entirely unstated?

Is there any info that exists outside of DMC4 confirming that Nero is Vergil's son? Or is it just supposed to be so obvious they left it entirely unstated?

What's obvious about it? Nero's arm was just corrupted by Vergil's shit and he has white hair. I've never heard much to suggest Nero's his son.

Yamato, His DT is Vergil's DT, it shoots summoned swords and he's related in some way to Sparda

If they wanted to hint it they weren't being very subtle, but it's never explicitly stated so it could have just been a Red Herring

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
What's obvious about it? Nero's arm was just corrupted by Vergil's shit and he has white hair. I've never heard much to suggest Nero's his son.

I'm fairly certain there was an interview or something where it was implied Nero was Vergil's son.

Hence, people referring to DMC4 Dante as Uncle Dante.

I really never noticed the blood of sparda reveal and still can't remember it.

Also the Yamato reacts to him

They really seem to make the point that it's his devil bringer arm that awakens Yamato.

Hence, people referring to DMC4 Dante as Uncle Dante.
Aw, that's somewhat ruined that nickname for me. I thought it was because of the way he tries to mentor Nero in his own dumb way.

Dahbomb

There's a whole novel about it.

And it's not that obvious at all... I mean a lot of fans don't even accept that he is Vergil's son even though all the evidence points to that. The only thing that is off about Nero being Vergil's son is the time lapse between DMC1 and DMC4 plus Vergil's own actions prior to DMC3 (at which time he had to have impregnated a woman).

As far as clues inside DMC4 go:

*Yamato reacts to Nero, Nero possessed with the spirit of Yamato (utters power, I need more powers).

*Nero's own Devil Trigger resembles that of Vergil.

*Even within the game Sanctus makes mention of Nero saying that he is of Sparda blood meaning that basically boils down Nero to either Dante or Vergil's son. Unless Sparda had a mysterious third son AFTER Dante/Vergil in which case the story line would become a lot messier as Sparda would be alive in the universe and going around boning chicks for no apparent reason.

*At the end Dante let's Nero have Yamato after saying something about "it should stay in the family".

And yeah the whole Uncle Dante bit is actually true... he is Nero's actual Uncle. Hence the term Uncle Dante. Man I wish my uncle was as cool as Dante.

Mike M

Nick N
I really never noticed the blood of sparda reveal and still can't remember it.
I don't remember it being so much as a "reveal" as something that was almost mentioned casually in passing in a cutscene. Maybe they needed him to complete the Savior or something? I can't recall.

And it's not that obvious at all...
I may have stated that poorly. No, I don't think it's obvious at all, but it's so strongly hinted at it that I was surprised there was never confirmation one way or another in the story. It simply makes me wonder if the people making the game thought they had done enough to get the point across or wanted it to be deliberately confusing.

Raxus

Since everyone else has done one I figured I'd sum up my thoughts about DmC since I am done with the game, at least until the DLC comes out. I will try to keep it as spoiler free as I can. I have cleared DmD mode AND Hell and Hell and I am by no means a 'Dahbomb'-level of hardcore DMC fan. I am a pretty big action game fan however so I decided to give DmC a shot and I am glad I did.

In short I would say the game is solid. It has issues which I will break down in the second but what it introduces works and what they streamlined (the stances) will only be missed by the most hardcore DMC players. They introduce some great elements into the story but it is dragged down by lazy writing, long cutscenes and some characters really suffer from poor voice acting.

Let's start with the story:
Dante:
-For the most part I dig his new redesign. He slowly begins to grey as he gets stronger in the game which is a nice touch, he has some really funny lines on occasion, and is sweet when he needs to be.
-The problem with his voice acting is bizarre though. It feels like it was filmed in reverse to be honest. He starts strong but towards the end his voice acting is earwrenching especially that scream at the end. It is like they started recording lines for him from the end and when the VA settled in with the character he recorded the opening of the game. It is especially bad when Dante is chatting with the Big Bad at the end. It doesn't help that the writing is lazy (note to the writers: if you use the word 'fuck you' more than 'hello' than the word loses all of its impact.
Kat:
-That being said Dante has some great scenes particularly with Kat and they have the best dialogues together. I love Kat through and through so no complaints there.
Virgil:
-Virgil's VA needs to be fired. It is harsh, I know but he is sleepwalking through his lines the entire game which only makes
the ending even more jarring. I will say though keeping Virgil around is a wise move since the character itself in the DMC universe is too good to keep dead for long.
-The ending is terrible but I can't go into detail without spoilers covering another paragraph so I will skip it. In short it makes the Virgil DLC necessary reading which should never be the case. It is up there with Prince of Persia 2008's Epilogue DLC. If you can't fit every twist and turn in your story then save it for another game. It is just sloppy writing otherwise.

Gameplay:
-Like I said for the most part it is solid. The weapons you get each serve a purpose, except I wish I had more reason to use the Eryx in battle. I found a use for nearly every weapon except for two...
-Those two being the Kablooey and the Eryx. While I just probably used the Eryx fists wrong the Kablooey felt unnecessary next to the shotgun once you learned the charge shot. By the time you got the Kablooey almost every other enemy had a shield and it was very limited in its purpose for me. Not to mention it had other problems which I will get to in a second. Most of all I found it a chore to switch between guns since I mainly used pistols and shotgun and found myself passing using the wrong guns at the wrong time because the kablooey was there.
-Candy coated enemies ruin the flow of combat. DmC presents a good array of enemies but in an attempt to force you to use particular weapons they severely limit your options in dispatching enemies. Because of this I found myself using my guns much less than I should of. For shielded frost enemies I always found myself having to use the Aquila to crush their shield to do something fancy and the Osiris for focused assaults. To make matters worse I felt some enemies looked like they could only be dispatched by a particular weapon when in reality I could use the rebellion and other weapons just fine. It is just messy design and creates boring gameplay segments.
-The loss of lockon is the biggest problem this game has. There are dozens of moments I found myself whiffing attacks. Not doing a command I wanted to do not focusing on an enemy I wanted to focus on and even not being able to find an enemy on the screen. Not only does lock on open up the array of attacks you can do with each weapon but it offers so many benefits like actually focusing on priority targets like witches who teleport EVERYWHERE. You have two dodge buttons. Just switch the second to lock on and then I can press it, lock onto the enemy and use the RS to switch between targets and I can press LB to lose the lock on. It is such an easy fix with so many benefits and is perhaps the worst omission in the game. If people are going to hate DmC, hate it for losing lock on, not for new Dante.
-Style is pretty broken. I got a SSS on a level using super Dante on HoH and afew SS. I got SSS on nearly every DmD stage with two exceptions and that is because I did so well I ended the stage before I could acquire enough style points. I also finished stages dying once and using two items and still pulled off a SSS. You can also exploit it so you can mess up the leaderboards pretty easily by performing perfect evasions non-stop. Demon dodge, overdrive and the Arbiter all make getting SSS waaaaay too easy and the lack of decay of rank makes you less inclined to use your firearms. Just add rank decay, use the unused down on the D-Pad for taunt to keep up the style rank and then style would be well on it's way to being fixed.
-I love the level design in this game, especially at the club. The platforming could use a bit of tweaking when it comes to mid-air pulls and dashes but it works fine. Music sucks but that is my personal taste and it is an easy fix.
-Stop with the god damn mini cutscenes. It is bad enough when you are trying to speed through a level and a mini unskippable cutscene plays out but it is at its worst when you are fighting a boss and it plays out telling you how to defeat it. I have a brain. Give me options to kill a boss not just 'your way' and let me finish a combo if I am wailing on the boss.
-This is probably mostly due to my crappy playing but I really wish I could figure out parries. Heck, I accidentally parried the blue attack on the news boss.
-Glitches, as I said before I have had enemies disappear off the screen, I have been hit by invisible attacks and a boss clipped through a wall to where I couldn't hit it for a few seconds. Nothing gamebreaking, but still annoying.
-Equippable weapons and maybe an alternative to rebellion would be welcome additions. It would expand the combo list and any weapon that people never use could get shuffled to the side opening up an array of playstyles.
-The game survives with 30 fps but if the PC footage is any indication, 60 fps is a benchmark you gotta try to hit. It is smooth as butter and I tend to hate the 60 fps talk it really shows how important it is for a game like this. Plus it allows your enemies to attack faster. There were points where I waited for several seconds for an enemy to make a move. Not to mention it through the timing of my evades into chaos.

Overall: 7/10

well put.

Dahbomb

I may have stated that poorly. No, I don't think it's obvious at all, but it's so strongly hinted at it that I was surprised there was never confirmation one way or another in the story. It simply makes me wonder if the people making the game thought they had done enough to get the point across or wanted it to be deliberately confusing.
I am almost certain that DMC4 was developed as part of a long term series revolving around Nero. A lot of story elements around Nero were left out blank in DMC4. There was a lot of talk about the torch being passed down from Dante to Nero or some shit. Plus there were a few behind the scenes talk about stuff not making it into DMC4 especially story wise.

I feel that they had built up the mystique on Nero but the actual reveal would've come later when Nero either confronts Vergil or founds out some way himself. Which is why I always felt that DMC4 needed a continuation despite it flaws, it just didn't feel like a complete game.

Top Bottom