• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Somewhat off topic, but I'm going through the game trying to convince myself to like it some more, and I just noticed something. Can someone tell me why the hell Dante gets an angelic weapon from defeating
Barbas
? I accepted that defeating other demons unlocked more demonic weapons even if they weren't themed, but this just seems odd.

The guy ran a jail. They may have housed an angel at some point who the boss took the weapons off.

Anteater

well just beat dmd,
mundus
was the easiest boss,
vergil
was kind of lame and the dual dreamrunners+witch was the hardest fight in the entire game.

and all the bosses felt the same other than higher damage.

nbthedude

Still a massive improvement on the previous episodes. Over the top madness becomes boring pretty quick.

It' wasn't the over the top stuff that bothered me, although I think it was awkward at best and didn't understand the Hollywood action sensibilities it was trying to rip off.

What I really disliked was the convoluted anime bullshit plot. It's the same crap that has been ruining Final Fantasy forever. The writers seem to think that a "sophisticated" plot means continually adding extra layers of narrative "twists" and "reveals" to make a story that, by the end you don't even know who is aligned with who or what/who the fuck that big thing you are fighting is even supposed to be.

From the four chapters I have played so far, DmC is far, far more grounded. It may not be the best writing ever, but it has it's funny, clever moments. And more importantly I can follow the plot. It actually makes sense. That is the literal definition of something that is better written than something where you have no idea who the characters are or what their relationship is because the mythology is so convoluted. There are a lot of subjectivities when it comes to writing. But one thing I think that is pretty much universal is that good writing is coherent. DmC is a thousand times more coherent than anything the previous DMC games.

I beat DMC4 and I have no idea what the hell happened in that game. I mean, here is an excerpt from one paragraph of an 8 paragraph plot summary from wikipedia on DMC 4's story:

Reinforcements arrive, and Nero keeps both his newfound power and his sudden misgivings about The Order to himself, as Credo gives Nero the task of stopping Dante and discovering his true intentions. However, the city suddenly finds itself under siege by a demonic attack, seemingly related to Dante's appearance. While Credo leads Kyrie and the townspeople to The Order of the Sword Headquarters, Nero embarks on his quest through the destroyed city to Fortuna Castle. At the castle Nero meets Gloria, a new high ranking Order of the Sword member who leaves to regroup with Credo at Headquarters. As his quest deepens, Nero uncovers the secret lab of Order of the Sword Member Agnus, who has secretly been experimenting with demonic power. Siphoning the intense demonic energy from the shards of Yamato (the long lost sword that used to belong to Vergil, Dante's brother), Agnus has secretly created an army of demon infused warriors and several Hell-Gates across Fortuna under the orders of Sanctus himself. Additionally, it is revealed that Sanctus has survived Dante's assassination by infusing himself with the soul of a powerful demon, in the aptly titled "Ascension Ceremony," which has given him and his followers the powers of a demon.

Jesus fucking Christ with all those proper nouns. And again, this is one paragraph of 8. Fuck off DMC4 story.

antitrop

Anyone know if this game works with Flawless Widescreen or any tricks to fix the FOV? It's kind of bothering me.

EDIT: Apparently they just updated FW for DmC yesterday. Looks great at +15.0, much better than Default FOV. Normally, it's just way too close for sitting a few feet away from a PC monitor. After 5 minutes of playing, there is no way I can go back to the default FOV. You can get Flawless Widescreen here: https://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/index.php/Flawless_Widescreen. Just doing God's work.

For comparison:

Default FOV:

jbvoRdck8dgEU8.png

FOV + 15.0:

jGcd36tN3RI38.png

nbthedude

Anyone know if this game works with Flawless Widescreen or any tricks to fix the FOV? It's kind of bothering me.

EDIT: Apparently they just updated FW for DmC yesterday. Looks great at +15.0, much better than Default FOV. Normally, it's just way too close for sitting a few feet away from a PC monitor. After 5 minutes of playing, there is no way I can go back to the default FOV. You can get Flawless Widescreen here: https://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/index.php/Flawless_Widescreen. Just doing God's work.

For comparison:

Default FOV:

jbvoRdck8dgEU8.png

FOV + 15.0:

jGcd36tN3RI38.png

That's cool but.... I like big [characters] and I cannot lie. :)

Capcom will never do DmC2 and DMC5 at the same time. You risk that the community will only buy one of them.

Not if you split them up by every year or two years. If dev cycles for next gen games approach 3 years. You can plan them as to where they release 1.5 years apart.

The action genre is a thinning genre, I think most normal headed people will appreciate any amount of good action games.

antitrop

When I'm sitting 2-3 feet away from my monitor on Default FOV, Dante is just too close to the foreground of the screen and it's incredibly disorienting and it just feels "weird".

nbthedude

When I'm sitting 2-3 feet away from my monitor on Default FOV, Dante is just too close to the foreground of the screen and it's incredibly disorienting and it just feels "weird".

I might check it out and try. But i usually sit back about 4-5 feet from my monitor when I'm using a controller anyway.

My love of big characters goes back a long way. Oh, China Warrior, I loved thee even though thou was't a pile of dookey.

Or you could have a less fanatic approach and love both the ultra-technical (and a little bit bloated, let's face it) DMC3 and the less complex but still deep DMC.

DMC is head and shoulder above most action games. The combat system is not as elegant and layered as Bayonetta's (or the old DMC) but it's still way better than any God of War. Describing that as "above average" is unfair.

As far as I'm concerned, DmC is the third best action game to be released this generation thus far. I guess that's saying more about the action genre, than DmC itself. But whatever.

I only rank DMC4 and Bayonetta above DmC. And that's me only being generous with DMC4 only because I'm that in love with it's combat system. NG3 was shit. NG2 had great character combat, but was shit outside of that. (NG2 has a lot of the same flaws that DMC4 had). Darksiders is nice, but I appreciate it more for it's RPG/Adventure qualities in the same way I appreciate God of War's adventure qualities.

Dahbomb

SSADISTIC

snJC8ZG.jpg
This doesn't make any sense. How the hell did someone get 147 deaths in 10 minutes?

There's a cap to how much your percentage of style points are lost from deaths. Funny thing is that if the guy had 100% completion he might've gotten SSS ranks. But I think this screen is a fake.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
This doesn't make any sense. How the hell did someone get 147 deaths in 10 minutes?

There's a cap to how much your percentage of style points are lost from deaths. Funny thing is that if the guy had 100% completion he might've gotten SSS ranks. But I think this screen is a fake.

I read elsewhere there is a way to fall through the geometry and it will glitch the death to 100+ when you die.

Mike M

Nick N
Not if you split them up by every year or two years. If dev cycles for next gen games approach 3 years. You can plan them as to where they release 1.5 years apart.

The action genre is a thinning genre, I think most normal headed people will appreciate any amount of good action games.

I can't envision a world where this happens. The whole point of DmC is to broaden the appeal of the series and genre, it would cause mass consumer confusion to run two, unrelated, concurrent series using the same name like that.

As far as I'm concerned, DmC is the third best action game to be released this generation thus far. I guess that's saying more about the action genre, than DmC itself. But whatever.

I only rank DMC4 and Bayonetta above DmC. And that's me only being generous with DMC4 only because I'm that in love with it's combat system. NG3 was shit. NG2 had great character combat, but was shit outside of that. (NG2 has a lot of the same flaws that DMC4 had). Darksiders is nice, but I appreciate it more for it's RPG/Adventure qualities in the same way I appreciate God of War's adventure qualities.

NG2 is not even remotely comparable to DMC4.

The only problems with NG2 was that the higher levels were unbalanced, but still playable.

people compare it to black, but it had a totally different design philosophy to black.

Bayonetta> NG2> NGS> DMC4> NGS2> CVLOS> DmC > DS2> GOW3> NG3 > Bunch of B-tier games.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

It's from a glitch, lol. Not sure how to really replicate it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
NG2 is not even remotely comparable to DMC4.

The only problems with NG2 was that the higher levels were unbalanced, but still playable.

people compare it to black, but it had a totally different design philosophy to black.

Bayonetta> NG2> NGS> DMC4> NGS2> CVLOS> DmC > GOW3> NG3 > Bunch of B-tier games.

NG2 had a lot of problems, from weapon balance to completely pointless enemies/sections to game breaking bugs. The game was simply unfinished, from my perspective.

NG2 had a lot of problems, from weapon balance to completely pointless enemies/sections to game breaking bugs. The game was simply unfinished, from my perspective.

what weapon was unbalanced?

and when you have 10 weapons with fully featured movesets with 3 tiers, 5 projectile weapons and 5 ninpo with another 3 tiers, you are bound to find the odd exploitable move.

There was 2 pointless boss fights, but in a game that sub bosses each chapter better than most action games bosses, im a bit more forgiving.

Shadow ninja rasetsu >>>>>> every boss fight in DmC on his own.

and what game breaking bugs?

I totally agree it was unfinished. A properly balanced NG2 would of been the greatest action game this gen. Bar none.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
what weapon was unbalanced?

and when you have 10 weapons with fully featured movesets with 3 tiers, 5 projectile weapons and 5 ninpo with another 3 tiers, you are bound to find the odd exploitable move.

There was 2 pointless boss fights, but in a game that had a boss and sub boss each chapter better than most action games

and what game breaking bugs?

I totally agree it was unfinished. A properly balanced NG2 would of been the greatest action game this gen. Bar none.

The Lunar with its 100% beheading rate off a lvl1 charge 360 UT, along with completely OP XXY. And an Izuna Drop. From the air.

Exploding jellyfish. I actually don't think the bosses in NG2 were as good as the bosses in NGB, personally.

The game actually froze during a cutscene approximately 4/5 way through the game.

On a more subjective note, the enemy designs were absolutely atrocious and the art design was hideous. The characters were obnoxious and the plot was absurd (yes, more absurd than anything in DMC). I enjoyed playing it, and I'll still play it for Mission Mode, but the game itself was a mess.

nbthedude

3rd best is an empty compliment. Just shows how thin the genre is rather than how good DmC is.

Except that we could probably easily list 50+ games in this genre that came out this gen:

Ninja Gaiden 2 & 3, God of War 3, No More Heroes 1 & 2, Bayonetta, Lolipop Chainsaw, Anarchy Reigns, Dante's Inferno, Watchmen, Dynasty Warriors 5, 6 & 7, Warriors Orochi 1 & 2, Heavenly Sword, Enslaved, Star Wars Force Unleashed 1 & 2, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Captain America: Super Soldier, Samarai Warriors 2, Vampire Reign, Conan, Viking: Battle for Asgard, Hellboy: Science of Evil, Spiderman 3, Spiderman Web of Shadows, Ninety-Nights 1 & 2, Devil May Cry 4, DmC Devil May Cry, Beowulf, Asura's Wraith, Thor: God of Thunder, X-men, Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom, Afro Samarai, Castlevania: Lord of Shadows, Ninja Blade, X-men: Destiny, Fantastic Four: Rise of Silver Surfer, Golden Axe: Beast Rider, Ironman 2, El Shaddi, Darksiders 1 & 2, Never Dead, Batman AA & AC, Splatter House, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2.

And that's not even a complete list by any means. And yeah there is a lot of crap in that list, but there are also at least a dozen games in there that I personally really liked quite a bit.

nbthedude

No way CV LOS is better than DmC. The game is about as good as any GoW game, DmC is better than GoW and LoS.

I'm a big fan of CV: LOS and even I have to agree. CV is more quantity than quality. It makes up for it and I love some of the fantastic vistas and the combat, but the camera and some of the platforming is far, far inferior to anything in DmC that I have seen thus far. It has a lot of sloppy sections where DmC seems pretty damn polished.

nbthedude

I like all NG games this gen over DmC except vanilla NG3.

Most of those games listed are dog poo.

Even if that were the case, it just shows it's not exactly easy to make a quality action game.

I personally liked God of War 3, X-men: Wolverine, Castlevania Lord of Shadows, Batman AA & AC, Ninja Gaiden 2, Darksiders 1, Enslaved, DMC4, and Star Wars Force Unleashed 1 & 2, and DmC quite a bit just to name a dozen from that list.

I never played past the first couple of levels of Bayonetta. I just couldn't get past the character design. If it ever by some miracle came out on PC, I'd almost definitley give it another shot, though.

Dahbomb

DmC is still mostly an action game with very little adventure parts in it. In that case I like DS1 and 2 over DmC because they have more elements to them plus better VA and story.

iavi

Combat IMO for this gen goes: Bayo, DmC4, DmC, Darksiders 2, NG2, GoW3

All of those being fantastic in different ways. The first being the best at everything.

nbthedude

All of those being fantastic in different ways. The first being the best at everything.

I haven't played very much Bayonetta but purely from a mechanical standpoint disregarding other elements, I had a lot of fun with DmC, DMC4, Castlevania: LOS, and Ninja Gaiden 2. I'm not talking about depth of combat but just sure enjoyment of the mechanics at play.

DMC4 would probably be the lowest on that list for me just because it felt too convoluted for me personally. I never really messed with all the different style stances and other things because it just felt like a mess and I didn't even need to use it to S rank most of the levels. Also my hand would fucking cramp from contantly having to hold down the lock on while trying to grab enemies and keep air juggles going. It was physically uncomfortable to play sometimes.

I'm only about 20% of the way through DmC but so far I really like the simple idea of the LT and RT being the different colored weapons and modifiers for the basic attacks. I can easily wrap my head around that and add them into my combos unlike the style stuff in DMC4 which I never understood or grew comfortable with.

iavi

I haven't played very much Bayonetta but purely from a mechanical standpoint disregarding other elements, I had a lot of fun with DmC, DMC4, Castlevania: LOS, and Ninja Gaiden 2. I'm not talking about depth of combat but just sure enjoyment of the mechanics at play.

I've yet to play LOS, but really want to. Ill be there day one if the PC port rumor is true.

Mechazawa

This better not be about pure mechanics and better be taking into account enemy types as well, because there ain't no shittin' way NG2's combat engine is behind Darksiders and DmC.

It ain't behind DMC4 either, but that's a story for another day.

Yeah, NG2 sucked. It just wasn't fun, at all. Ryu was designed well with his combat system, but the enemies and bosses that existed for one to use the combat on was a nightmare. Not to mention the game was buggy, and unbalanced. Terrible camera, horrid level design, obviously shitty story etc.

DmC, much like DMC4, is significantly better than NG2. I didn't even really care for the shitiness of NG3 because NG2 was pretty bad.

It ain't behind DMC4 either, but that's a story for another day.

Bwhaha, omg you acutally fucking said it.

Dude, DMC4 has the best character action combat system than any action game ever created. You compare fucking Ninja Gaiden 2 to it? Holy shit.

nbthedude

I've yet to play LOS, but really want to. Ill be there day one if the PC port rumor is true.

It's pretty underrated, I think. I mean, it's not going to have the crazy combos that get DMC fans all hot and bothered but it's kind of like God of War but bigger in scope and with a lot more likable main characters and more interesting narrative (at least in my opinion).

They do make the decision to sacrifice "best" camera angle for most dramatic camera angle, but I'm actually ok with that in 90% of the game because it does make it look distinctive and cool and it usually doesn't get in the way too much. There are a few platforming sequences, though that will make you angry because you can't see what you are jumping too, though. But I ultimately forgave it because of what it did right.

The Lunar with its 100% beheading rate off a lvl1 charge 360 UT, along with completely OP XXY. And an Izuna Drop. From the air.

The point of a UT is efficient kills. It might seem overpowered but from a karma perspective it was a god send. But I agree that maybe shouldn't have been in at lvl1

as for the XXY, still doesn't beat the vigoorian flails XXYY

Exploding jellyfish. I actually don't think the bosses in NG2 were as good as the bosses in NG, personally.

How else would you balance the water level? Especially as they removed the challenge of the water run.

The game actually froze during a cutscene approximately 4/5 way through the game.

Pre-patch? Ive got close to 100 hours in that game and has never froze. The only issue is the chapter 10 framerate staircase.

On a more subjective note, the enemy designs were absolutely atrocious and the art design was hideous. The characters were obnoxious and the plot was absurd (yes, more absurd than anything in DMC). I enjoyed playing it, and I'll still play it for Mission Mode, but the game itself was a mess.

Id take Van Gelfs, Werewolves and the shadow fiends over anything in DmC personally. Ha at playing NG for story. It doesn't have a story really and judging by the tripe NG3 was in that department, is all the better for it. But fair enough, different strokes for different folks. As for art design...eh I was too busy fucking shit up to notice.

Dude, DMC4 has the best character action combat system than any action game ever created. You compare fucking Ninja Gaiden 2 to it? Holy shit.

They have totally different approaches. They are like ios and andriod. I don't see how anyone can say either is better than the other. They are both amazing. DMC4 only gets an edge because of Nero.

And Bayonetta>>>>>>All. Simply because of dodge offset.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I still think Black and Sigma 1 are the only worthwhile games from the modern Ninja Gaiden franchise. 2 was pretty mediocre and 3 isn't worth the disc it's printed on.

Bayonetta is the only special game we've had in this genre.

NG2 wasn't finished. I don't really enjoy the massive scale of the bosses in Bayonetta that much (still really like it though). DMC4 could have used more content (and preferably just had a campaign you can play as either character like DMC3 as opposed to being forced to play through the second harder half mostly with Dante). DmC sucks. Why can't we have the perfect action game this gen?

MGR could look to be a hit for me if:
1. It has truly hard stage progression on the higher difficulties.
2. The bosses are mostly human size (which from the achievements it seems like they will be except that metal gear ray one in the videos).

iavi

I'm concerned that some kind of paid challenge room mode is going to be released via DLC like how dishonored did.

Bloody Palace is a free dlc addition. Vergil's dlc is $10

On that note; the Vergil dlc chievos in steam are just there. Taunting.

Mechazawa

-One of the best counter systems ever made.
-Universally amazing, awesome, brutal feeling weapons. Outside of that dumb water speargun thing, there isn't a single weapon in Ninja Gaiden 2 that isn't fun to use.
-The limb system in NG2 was a phenomenal addition and added another element to enemy prioritization.
-Motherfucking talon slidekicks.

Granted, some of that is superfluous to the fact that Ninja Gaiden 2 is the best feeling, best moving action game this side of the generation, so in some parallel universe I guess you could say that DMC could never attain the elegance or beauty that NG2 has on simply a base level due to the very nature of what kind of game it was built out of and what kind of game it'll strive to be and I guess it could be considered...preferential.

But we don't live in a parallel universe. So you bet your sweet ass NG2 is the GOAT.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The point of a UT is efficient kills. It might seem overpowered but from a karma perspective it was a god send. But I agree that maybe shouldn't have been in at lvl1

as for the XXY, still doesn't beat the vigoorian flails XXYY

How else would you balance the water level? Especially as they removed the challenge of the water run.

Pre-patch? Ive got close to 100 hours in that game and has never froze. The only issue is the chapter 10 framerate staircase.

Id take Van Gelfs, Werewolves and the shadow fiends over anything in DmC personally. Ha at playing NG for story. It doesn't have a story really and judging by the tripe NG3 was in that department, is all the better for it. But fair enough, different strokes for different folks. As for art design...eh I was too busy fucking shit up to notice.

I'd put in water enemies during the water sections. I actually think that this was one of the things that Hayashi did correctly in NGS2. Hell I'd just remove the exploding jellyfish entirely because all it encourages is people standing afar and mashing on the attack button with that stupid water cannon equipped.

Yeah, there was a patch that actually created a game freezing bug.

DmC's enemy designs are also atrocious, so you have no argument from me there. Van Gelfs, Werewolves, and those stupid Cannon/Chainshaw/Cyclops/Zombies were all terrible. But yeah, it's subjective. I just couldn't take it seriously when Werewolves had infinite body parts to toss at you for massive damage.

FLAguy954

I don't know if anyone mentioned this but you can tweak the ini file to enable DirectX 11 and increase anisotropic filtering.

Top Bottom