• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

-One of the best counter systems ever made.
-Universally amazing, awesome, brutal feeling weapons. Outside of that dumb water speargun thing, there isn't a single weapon in Ninja Gaiden 2 that isn't fun to use.
-The limb system in NG2 was a phenomenal addition and added another element to enemy prioritization.
-Motherfucking talon slidekicks.

Granted, some of that is superfluous to the fact that Ninja Gaiden 2 is the best feeling, best moving action game this side of the generation, so in some parallel universe I guess you could say that DMC could never attain the elegance or beauty that NG2 has on simply a base level due to the very nature of what kind of game it was built out of and what kind of game it'll strive to be and I guess it could be considered...preferential.

But we don't live in a parallel universe. So you bet your sweet ass NG2 is the GOAT.

internet_fist_bump-2.png

Just a disclaimer: I will always love DMC the best, but I "Get" Ninja Gaiden on a much deeper level.

MGR could look to be a hit for me if:
1. It has truly hard stage progression on the higher difficulties.
2. The bosses are mostly human size (which from the achievements it seems like they will be except that metal gear ray one in the videos).

MGR hasn't a hope in hell. I will probably enjoy playing it more than I Do DmC but I doubt it will be a better overal better game and just barely a better action game.

I will appreciate MGR for the badass boss designs, 60fps and different approach to combat, but I'm not allowing the fact it is a platinum game cloud my vision. It still looks unfinished and made under a extremely short dev cycle, I would like it have another year of dev time personally. With a bit more polish the holy trinity could of became a quartet.

Gbraga

-One of the best counter systems ever made.
-Universally amazing, awesome, brutal feeling weapons. Outside of that dumb water speargun thing, there isn't a single weapon in Ninja Gaiden 2 that isn't fun to use.
-The limb system in NG2 was a phenomenal addition and added another element to enemy prioritization.
-Motherfucking talon slidekicks.

Really? That's what you use to rank a game above DMC4? I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, I'm no pro at NG, I play it pretty casually, but if that's your reasons to say something is better than the best combat system ever created in this genre, you're insane.

Who fucking cares about siderave? We have BRUTAL FEELING WEAPONS!!!!

Best game ever next to GOW III!!!!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
NG2 wasn't finished. I don't really enjoy the massive scale of the bosses in Bayonetta that much (still really like it though). DMC4 could have used more content (and preferably just had a campaign you can play as either character like DMC3 as opposed to being forced to play through the second harder half mostly with Dante). DmC sucks. Why can't we have the perfect action game this gen?

MGR could look to be a hit for me if:
1. It has truly hard stage progression on the higher difficulties.
2. The bosses are mostly human size (which from the achievements it seems like they will be except that metal gear ray one in the videos).

MGR has a chance to be something great.

It's really sad how much better DmC would have been with lock-on and the color coded enemies removed. The latter was such a simple mistake, it's hard to fathom how that passed approval.

Dahbomb

Weapons in NG2 were beastly. Tonfas, Polearm, Flails, Kusari Gama, Claws, Double Katanas, Scythe. They threw the damn kitchen sink at you in terms of the weapons.

Something that is sorely lacking from MGR. The weapon variety in that game doesn't tickle my fancy, most of the weapons are just palette swaps of the sword you already use just with different properties.

It's really sad how much better DmC would have been with lock-on and the color coded enemies removed. The latter was such a simple mistake, it's hard to fathom how that passed approval.
Add in Taunts, a non-broken Style gauge/ranking system, challenging bosses, more moves on weapons (Arbiter feels like half a weapon in terms of its moves)... I mean not a bad effort by any means for NT's first real action game but with some better choices this would've been a 9/10 game in my book.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Something that is sorely lacking from MGR. The weapon variety in that game doesn't tickle my fancy, most of the weapons are just palette swaps of the sword you already use just with different properties.

Those aren't different weapons, though. Those are different HF Blades. You always have a HF blade as your primary weapon, and it's suspected that you will have real time weapon switching via subweapons.

Gbraga

Weapons in NG2 were beastly. Tonfas, Polearm, Flails, Kusari Gama, Claws, Double Katanas, Scythe. They threw the damn kitchen sink at you in terms of the weapons.

Agreed, that was really disappointing. I hope the bosses' weapons have some depth.

Dahbomb

Those aren't different weapons, though. Those are different HF Blades. You always have a HF blade as your primary weapon, and it's suspected that you will have real time weapon switching via subweapons.
Subweapons always have very limited moves and tools (ala ZOE2). I am not expecting much in that aspect.

Doesn't MGR have a soft lock?
It has both.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Subweapons always have very limited moves and tools (ala ZOE2). I am not expecting much in that aspect.

We'll see how it shakes out. I think they're going to have significantly more depth than ZOE2's subweapons, which literally only served one function per subweapon.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Ninja Gaiden 2 is better than DMC4, combat system and all. Ryu was thunderstruck to Team Ninja Earth from some alien planet where ninjas don't hide. They just fly through areas dismembering all opponents at the speed of light with a bunch of badass weapons.

Mechazawa

Really? That's what you use to rank a game above DMC4? I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, I'm no pro at NG, I play it pretty casually, but if that's your reasons to say something is better than the best combat system ever created in this genre, you're insane.

Who fucking cares about siderave? We have BRUTAL FEELING WEAPONS!!!!

Best game ever next to GOW III!!!!

I didn't say NG2 was a better game than DMC4. I loved DMC4. I am going to revisit DMC4 once I'm done with DmC. I will not be revisiting NG2.

I said NG2 has a better combat system. And when it comes to a combat system, how a character moves,
how many slidekicks that character can do
, how weapons feel and how enemies react to your weapons and movement are all fundamental matters. So when I bring up positive aspects of NG2, I'm obviously going to throw out nods to how baller the Kusari Gama or Falcon Talons were.

But, as has been rightly pointed out, NG2 is more than a combat system. It's also level design, bosses and enemies. And NG2 has stupid versions of those in spades.

Gbraga

I didn't say NG2 was a better game than DMC4. I loved DMC4. I am going to revisit DMC4 once I'm done with DmC. I will not be revisiting NG2.

I said NG2 has a better combat system. And when it comes to a combat system, how a character moves,
how many slidekicks that character can do
, how weapons feel and how enemies react to your weapons and movement are all fundamental matters.

But, as has been rightly pointed out, NG2 is more than a combat system. It's also level design, bosses and enemies. And NG2 has stupid versions of those in spades.

But that's exactly my problem with your statement, I don't mind saying NG2 is a better game than DMC4, I wouldn't be even sure myself which one I like the most, but the combat system alone? NOPE.

I don't even care when people say DMC4 is a shit game, because they have legitimate reasons to think so, but the combat is just superb.

Skilletor

Ninja Gaiden 2 is better than DMC4, combat system and all. Ryu was thunderstruck to Team Ninja Earth from some alien planet where ninjas don't hide. They just fly through areas dismembering all opponents at the speed of light with a bunch of badass weapons.

I really don't understand how people compare the two. They've always been opposite ends of the spectrum to me. They focus on entirely different things. They're like Marvel and SF. It's possible to like both, but if you do it's likely for entirely different reasons.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I really don't understand how people compare the two. They've always been opposite ends of the spectrum to me. They focus on entirely different things. They're like Marvel and SF. It's possible to like both, but if you do it's likely for entirely different reasons.

Agreed. They're just very very different, and it simply comes down to personal preference.

Gbraga

That I agree with.

NG2 is, and will always be, a bad video game. Most disappointing game of 2008.

NGB is probably in my top 10 games, but it's been downhill for that series ever since. STRAIGHT downhill, culminating in the abomination of action game design that is Ninja Gaiden 3.

nbthedude

That is a good comparison, actually. And it clarifies my tastes. And I dont like Marvel and DMC4 nearly as much as I like SF and Ninja Gaiden. Mainly because the former are just more convoluted to me. This is also why I like DmC more than DMC 4. DmC has calmed the series the fuck down and I have a better grasp on what is going on both in terms of mechanics and narrative.

NIN90

I'm loving this game and I'm saying this as someone who beat Bayonetta (1000 GS on this) and NGB mutiple times. Was never really a huge fan of DMC games, though.

I can't even be assed to finish this SoS run. This game doesn't hold up upon repeated playthroughs. It's built for that casual single run through, where you're impressed by the visuals and how high your S rankings can get so easily, and then put it aside to collect dust.

Dahbomb

The one thing I never liked about NG is the over abundance of vanilla moves. By that I mean some moves are pretty much useless as there are always superior options over it and the moves don't provide anything unique. You can't afford to do long combo strings because enemies will tear you apart, you need to be on the move getting fast kills with moves that have invulnerability and then chain together UTs.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The one thing I never liked about NG is the over abundance of vanilla moves. By that I mean some moves are pretty much useless as there are always superior options over it and the moves don't provide anything unique. You can't afford to do long combo strings because enemies will tear you apart, you need to be on the move getting fast kills with moves that have invulnerability and then chain together UTs.

There was this sick Japanese gameplay on MNM NG2 where the guy was totally styling during a level filled with IS ninjas and the like. I wish I could find it now.

But yes, I think that despite the expanded moveset, there is limited utility to your moves in NG2 and there will always be preferred damage/combos for MNM that make other moves obsolete.

K.Sabot

This is the worst thread.

I've only put in 9h into DmC and I already want to go back to DMC4.

Don't worry, it will always be there to go back to.

Hell, playing this made me go out and buy DMC HD Collection. Now I'm having much more fun, and I've already played those games (2 isn't as bad as I used to think it was).

Coconut

Banned
In comparison to other beat'um ups and hack n' slashes gameplay this gen, I'm noticing in DmC a lot of moves are based on looking a charge to build up or some weird kind if timing 'wait for the blade to sparkle' kind of thing going on adds a nice risk reward to the combat and asks the player to pick enemies out of the crowd and focus on one enemy rather than a crowd.

I started DMD and it really is more of the same. Harpies are a huge pain in the ass coz Donte always shoots downwards when they're hovering over other goons

Whenever I see coloured enemies I just pop dat D(onte)T. Ain't nobody got time for that

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
In comparison to other beat'um ups and hack n' slashes gameplay this gen, I'm noticing in DmC a lot of moves are based on looking a charge to build up or some weird kind if timing 'wait for the blade to sparkle' kind of thing going on adds a nice risk reward to the combat and asks the player to pick enemies out of the crowd and focus on one enemy rather than a crowd.

The pause combos have been a part of the series since the first DMC.

Dahbomb

That's the same as all DMC games. The pause combos are a staple of the franchise and charged moves have been in the series since DMC1.

And it depends on the crowd of enemies, if it's just a bunch of low level enemies I go ham on them with Aquila plus Osiris. I try to get as many of them in a combo as possible.

yeah. there are no way to compare the two directly as they have different goals in combat.

Dante would be chewed up in a NG world, but Ryu simply doesn't have the mobility and style that Dante has. All the weapons in the worldnt change that he would be a boring character in DMC.

That said, Dreamrunner wouldn't be too out of place in NG game.

nbthedude

I love all the DMC fans: Man this game sucks so bad. I'm on my second or third play through and I don't know if I want to keep playing.

"This food sucks so much, I don't even know if I want a third helping."

You guys are a parody of yourselves.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Dante would be chewed up in a NG world, but Ryu simply doesn't have the mobility and style that Dante has all the weapons in the world would change that he would be a boring character in DMC.

If Dante didn't have the amount of I-frames in his moves he does or Royal Guard, then I'd agree with you.

I love all the DMC fans: Man this game sucks so bad. I'm on my second or third play through and I don't know if I want to keep playing.

I think you need to take a step back from your haters gonna hate perspective. It's not outrageous to expect great successive playthroughs and difficulty in a DMC game. It has been a staple since the beginning and it's a reasonable expectation. People might argue that DMC1 only becomes special during DMD mode. Some people who are playing through on multiple difficulties are hoping later difficulties will save the game for them.

Except I never said the game sucks, I'm just not enjoying it during my second playthrough as much as I did the first half because it's constantly interrupting the actual gameplay with annoying cutscenes. I felt the same way with Max Payne 3, except I liked that game throughout.

But I'm sure you'll find another thing to shit your pants over.

FLAguy954

Anisotropic Filtering, apparently.
But I've been scrolling through the INI files for the last 30 minutes without finding it.

I'm giving up, I don't even give a shit.

Just search 'd3d11' in the INI file (under Documents/My Games/UnrealEngine3/DevilGame/Config/DevilEngine).

Funny thing about the INI file, I found some graphical settings for the iPhone 4, iPad 1-2, and Android devices lol.

Dahbomb

Funny post as you clearly don't understand what a DMC fan is. A DMC fan doesn't grasp the quality of an action game on one walkthrough and the default difficulty setting.

It's like the Diablo fans shitting on D3 after playing it for 200 hours on Inferno. Those higher difficulties weren't made for casual audiences but for the fans.

Fact is the game doesn't hold that well on higher difficulties or on multiple walkthroughs. At least not as well as the OG DMC games.

DMC4 Dante would destroy NG2. Royal Guard those fucking cheap missiles.

royal guard doesn't defend against grabs. Every time you stopped to do the animation you would open yourself to cheap grabs and suicide attacks

and blocking IS/ Missiles was the very worst thing you could do. Better to let it hit you and take advantage of the I-frames you get dashing/Countering

RG is better than UT.

No. Just No.

Not in form nor function.

Top Bottom