• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

nbthedude

If Dante didn't have the amount of I-frames in his moves he does or Royal Guard, then I'd agree with you.

I think you need to take a step back from your haters gonna hate perspective. It's not outrageous to expect great successive playthroughs and difficulty. That has been a staple of DMC, and is something to be expected.

If the game doesn't have replayability that is one thing. That's true of many games (even many good ones). But the way some of these people complain about how bad the game is and then also go on to complain that they don't even want to complete multiple plays on higher difficulties is the part that is silly.

It's like they want to two things simultaneously: assert that they don't like the game and also assert that they have critical authority since they have played the game a whole bunch.

If you have beaten a game and continue to play it despite claiming to dislike it, you are either stupid for continuing to play a game you don't like or a liar for pretending you don't like it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I can't even be assed to finish this SoS run. This game doesn't hold up upon repeated playthroughs. It's built for that casual single run through, where you're impressed by the visuals and how high your S rankings can get so easily, and then put it aside to collect dust.

I'm in the process of pushing my way through SoS mode right now. The game is still easy as pie, hoping it's better on DMD.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
royal guard doesn't defend against grabs

and blocking IS/ Missiles was the very worst thing you could do. Better to let it hit you and take advantage of the I-frames you get dashing/Countering

That's why Dante has Trickster, too. C'mon. Grab these I-frames.

If the game doesn't have replayability that is one thing. That's true of many games (even many good ones). But the way some of these people complain about how bad the game is and then also go on to complain that they don't even want to complete multiple plays on higher difficulties is the part that is silly.

It's like they want to two things simultaneously: assert that they don't like the game and also assert that they have critical authority since they have played the game a whole bunch.

If you have beaten a game and continue to play it despite claiming to dislike it, you are either stupid for continuing to play a game you don't like or a liar for pretending you don't like it.

I actually don't think it's weird at all. It's a different approach to gaming.

When I first played NG2, I thought it was pure dogshit. No joke. I played through and beat it on every difficulty, and I now understand some of the intricacies that I missed on my first playthrough.

Gbraga

Just search 'd3d11' in the INI file (under Documents/My Games/UnrealEngine3/DevilGame/Config/DevilEngine).

Funny thing about the INI file, I found some graphical settings for the iPhone 4, iPad 1-2, and Android devices lol.

Can't wait until people have the best settings so I can just copy, I'm really not good at that stuff lol

The computer stuff sounds good though Kappa

Coconut

Banned
If Dante didn't have the amount of I-frames in his moves he does or Royal Guard, then I'd agree with you.

I think you need to take a step back from your haters gonna hate perspective. It's not outrageous to expect great successive playthroughs and difficulty in a DMC game. It has been a staple since the beginning and it's a reasonable expectation. People might argue that DMC1 only becomes special during DMD mode. Some people who are playing through on multiple difficulties are hoping later difficulties will save the game for them.

As a person who has never been great at DMC games the fact that I feel that I'll be able and triple S the levels is kind a sign that if you were coming in to the game with the assumption that the scoring difficulty was on par with some of the previous installments you are going to be disappointed and that is a failing on ninja theories part because it is a disservice to the long time fans. I mostly don't see anyone being upset just some what disappointed.

Dahbomb

royal guard doesn't defend against grabs

and blocking IS/ Missiles was the very worst thing you could do. Better to let it hit you and take advantage of the I-frames you get dashing/Countering
RG isn't blocking. You don't stand there with the parry stance. Dante is going to be jumping around while parrying and building up that meter. RG parries anything. Dante won't get grabbed because he would never be close to them.

Also Dante got rockets and guns of his own along with vastly superior air options. Dante can stay in the air for so long jumping on ninja heads, they won't touch him.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
As a person who has never been great at DMC games the fact that I feel that I'll be able and triple S the levels is kind a sign that if you were coming in to the game with the assumption that the scoring difficulty was on par with some of the previous installments you are going to be disappointed and that is a failing on ninja theories part because it is a disservice to the long time fans. I mostly don't see anyone being upset just some what disappointed.

I think there are plenty of upset people, actually.

nbthedude

Funny post as you clearly don't understand what a DMC fan is. A DMC fan doesn't grasp the quality of an action game on one walkthrough and the default difficulty setting.

It's like the Diablo fans shitting on D3 after playing it for 200 hours on Inferno. Those higher difficulties weren't made for casual audiences but for the fans.

Fact is the game doesn't hold that well on higher difficulties or on multiple walkthroughs. At least not as well as the OG DMC games.

I can respect that it is a matter of perspective.

I can also accept that a very small minority of players expect something out of a title whether it be DMC or Diablo (for the record, I personally got tired of Diablo 3 half way through and didn't even want to finish it on normal difficulty). What annoys me is the attempt that assert that because a game doesn't live up to that level fo play for that tiny audience they want to assert that the game is terrible.

Most people don't play games that way. Especially not single player games. Hell even most DMC fans don't play the game that way. Just because I only played the previous DMC games one or twice all the way through doesn't mean I am not a "fan" and it sure as hell doesn't mean I am a "casual" gamer. You don't get to decide who is a fan of this series and who isn't. It's that whole elitist attitude about a single player action game that I find so absurd. You guys want to take yourself and your DMC game playing extremely seriously and that's fine but that doesn't mean I have nor does it mean your standards of evaluation are objective or even remotely representative of how the vast majority of players in the past or future will and do enjoy these games.

Dahbomb

DmC Dante would get destroyed unless NG enemies are unable to prevent him from getting started on his air combos. DmC can however take out NG enemies from long distance and can easily handle 2-3 enemies but anything beyond that he cannot survive long even if controlled by a top player. Not enough invulnerable moves on him, no fast dashes teleports, no RG, no DTE. If he gets DT off he's good though.

Cross action game theory fighting at its best.

When I first played NG2, I thought it was pure dogshit. No joke. I played through and beat it on every difficulty, and I now understand some of the intricacies that I missed on my first playthrough.

there is no more I-frames in one trickster dash than there is in Ryus dash. He still has to pause in between dashes.

Trick up may have more advantages, but Dante still needs to come down some time, besides moves like killer bee would be easily blocked/avoided by even the lesser fiends/ Ninjas.

ultim8p00

Banned
Those aren't different weapons, though. Those are different HF Blades. You always have a HF blade as your primary weapon, and it's suspected that you will have real time weapon switching via subweapons.

Yes. IIRF there was a video with Raiden using a Lunar staff-like weapon and it looked pretty badass

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I can also accept that a very small minority of players expect something out of a title whether it be DMC or Diablo (for the record, I personally got tired of Diablo 3 half way through and didn't even want to finish it on normal difficulty). What annoys me is the attempt that assert that because a game doesn't live up to that level fo play for that tiny audience they want to assert that the game is terrible.

Most people don't play games that way. Especially not single player games. Hell even most DMC fans don't play the game that way. Just because I only played the previous DMC games one or twice all the way through doesn't mean I am not a "fan" and it sure as hell doesn't mean I am a "casual" gamer. You don't get to decide who is a fan of this series and who isn't. It's that whole elitist attitude about a single player action game that I find so absurd. You guys want to take yourself and your DMC game playing extremely seriously and that's fine but that doesn't mean I have nor does it mean your standards of evaluation are objective or even remotely representative of how the vast majority of players in the past or future will and do enjoy these games.

I don't think anyone said that you have to agree or understand why people are expecting good multiple playthroughs out of this game. But there's a valid reason behind it.

there is no more I-frames in one trickster dash than there is in Ryus dash. He still has to pause in between dashes.

Trick up may have more advantages, but Dante still needs to come down some time, besides moves like killer bee would be easily blocked/avoided by even the lesser fiends/ Ninjas.

Jump xx Skystar xx Trick Up would.

Skilletor

What does that matter? I gives a damn what or how most people play. If the opinions of the more hardcore players aren't relevant to how you play, what does that matter? Obviously that doesn't effect you. You can ignore it. You are not part of the subset. It's not elitist in the slightest. Nobody is going to put IMO after each post. Use your rational to decide whether or not the contents of the post are relevant to what you want from the game.

For me, it does matter. For you, maybe not.

It was you who generalized "DMC fans" but it's funny to see you try to weasel your way out of it.

I'm waiting for some revolutionizing combo's to come out for this game but i have yet to see any, and at this point after playing through this game like 5 times i'm starting to think the combat isn't gonna go anywhere like past DMC's

still love this game though, hoping to be proven wrong

nbthedude

I guess I understand that. I have certainly had that experience with films that I was encouraged to revisit because of a comment a friend made or because I thought I was in the wrong frame of mind when I first watched it.

It is possible that a lot of these people genuinely dislike it and continue to try to find the "good" in it. But there is a history of so much bad faith surrounding this title that I hope you'll understand if I am a bit skeptical of "I've played this game 3x through and it's terrible" argument in this particular case.

nbthedude

It was you who generalized "DMC fans" but it's funny to see you try to weasel your way out of it.

I'm pretty sure that anyone who uses the phrase "Donte" has self assigned to that label. And people who talk about how much they love DMC4 have self assigned themselves as well. I'm not the one telling them whether or not they get to be labeled as "fans."

RG isn't blocking. You don't stand there with the parry stance. Dante is going to be jumping around while parrying and building up that meter. RG parries anything. Dante won't get grabbed because he would never be close to them.

Also Dante got rockets and guns of his own along with vastly superior air options. Dante can stay in the air for so long jumping on ninja heads, they won't touch him.

but you both are sorely under estimating the priority grabs have in NG.

and while RG isn't a block, its more equivalent to a block in NG than a parry.

But, ill concede. I totally forgot about his guns.. I almost never use them thats why.

Dahbomb

That is what separates good action games from great action games, their depth and how they hold up to a higher level of play. That aspect of a game matters to some, no matter how miniscule the population. If they didn't want to appeal to this crowd, they should've just removed any non-Normal difficulty setting from the game while stripping the game of its depth. If the game doesn't hold up in that regard to that type of gamer then the game is terrible FOR THEM.

I don't really care how the "vast majority of players" enjoy these games. Clearly some people play DMC that way (and by that way I am just talking about playing it 3 times to beat DMD mode) and we are sharing our opinions on it. You don't like people disliking how the game handles itself on higher difficulty? Disregard those conversations entirely then. We are not here to project our perception of the game's quality over a larger population... we are just sharing experiences on the game.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
but you both are sorely under estimating the priority grabs have in NG.

and while RG isn't a block, its more equivalent to a block in NG than a parry.

But, ill concede. I totally forgot about his guns.. I almost never use them thats why.

Nah, man. I've been grabbed enough times in NG2 MNM to not underestimate them. I just think you underestimate the fact that Dante's potential is literally limited only by who's controlling him.

By the way, Classic Dante vs. Ryu Hayabusa is what SHOULD have been in a game like Playstation All Stars. The potential of that game, man. What a beautiful dream match it could have been.

Lijik

I love all the DMC fans: Man this game sucks so bad. I'm on my second or third play through and I don't know if I want to keep playing.

"This food sucks so much, I don't even know if I want a third helping."

You guys are a parody of yourselves.

I dont think two or three playthroughs, especially for this type of game where the gameplay might only truly shine on higher difficulties is that obscene. And a lot of the complaints sounds like stuff that even me, someone who thoroughly enjoyed the game, would balk at and have a bad time with.

ultim8p00

Banned
DmC Dante would get destroyed unless NG enemies are unable to prevent him from getting started on his air combos. DmC can however take out NG enemies from long distance and can easily handle 2-3 enemies but anything beyond that he cannot survive long even if controlled by a top player. Not enough invulnerable moves on him, no fast dashes teleports, no RG, no DTE. If he gets DT off he's good though.

Cross action game theory fighting at its best.

IS ninjas alone would make it impossible. Then add in mages and their tracking fire-pits, the flying dragons and their cheap-ass kamehamehas, the red serpentines and all that stuff.

Dante would not be able to stay airborne at all.

None of the Dantes or even Nero can survive in the NG world. There's too much shit going on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncqAmtZ00CU

But Ryu definitely can in the DMC world. He would just be really really boring to watch.

nbthedude

I certainly don't have any problem with people sharing their experiences about the game one way or another. And I am genuinely interested in whether the game is worth multiple play throughs. As I said, I am just more than a bit skeptical given all the bad faith surrounding the game at launch and I'm also a bit annoyed when I hear people refer to "true" or "real" DMC fans and refer to everyone else as "casuals."

But this argument has been repeated ad nauseum in this thread by now. I apologize for even bringing it up again. It is just that every now and then my emotions get the best of me when that elitest tone pops up and people just drop in the thread seemingly not to engage in conversation but rather to do a drive by sneer at how lowly this game is compared to the sacred texts that are DMC3 and DMC4.

It feels akin rich people driving by the trailer park just to go "Gawd, look at their lawns, isn't it awful." It seems like they just show up to make themselves feel good about how superior they are to the game and the people who like it rather than to actually talk about the game.

Dahbomb

Dude why are you linking me to NG2 videos? I know what NG2 plays like I have beaten it on MNM. DMC4 has mostly docile enemies but Dante's potential in that game is far ahead of what's actually even required of the game. A top level Dante player makes DMC4 look like a joke and would trounce NG2. All the "shit flying around" would just power up Dante's RG even faster and a couple of Just Releases would tear up crowds. Not to mention that Dante in DT can just repeatedly Stinger through crowds until they die then play keep away with guns and shit to build his DT or just start jumping on their heads.

Since you linked a video, I will link one too:

http://youtu.be/60OL9J0yrik?t=2m37s

I certainly don't have any problem with people sharing their experiences about the game one way or another. As I said, I am just more than a bit skeptical given all the bad faith surrounding the game at launch and I'm also a bit annoyed when I hear people refer to "true" or "real" DMC fans and refer to everyone else as "casuals."

Funnily enough, when you finish DMC4 on Nephilim the complete screen says "You are no longer a casual gamer"

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
IS ninjas alone would make it impossible. Then add in mages and their tracking fire-pits, the flying dragons and their cheap-ass kamehamehas, the red serpentines and all that stuff.

Dante would not be able to stay airborne at all.

None of the Dantes or even Nero can survive in the NG world. There's too much shit going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpVJa8iBZu8

But Ryu definitely can in the DMC world. He would just be really really boring to watch.

I respectfully disagree. Especially with DT, and style switching.

You can't fucking catch this man:
http://youtu.be/60OL9J0yrik?t=1m36s

EDIT: lmao, DahBomb, we linked the same video.

Yeah, for what it's worth, I've beaten NG2 and Mission Mode on MNM. I'm not that great at NG2, but I know what MNM is like.

nbthedude

Funnily enough, when you finish DMC4 on Nephilim the complete screen says "You are no longer a casual gamer"

Ha! I guess I better change my difficulty off of normal then. I wouldn't want to be viewed as gamer white trash who spends his days huffin' dat Angry Birds.

Dude why are you linking me to NG2 videos? I know what NG2 plays like I have beaten it on MNM. DMC4 has mostly docile enemies but Dante's potential in that game is far ahead of what's actually even required of the game. A top level Dante player makes DMC4 look like a joke and would trounce NG2. All the "shit flying around" would just power up Dante's RG even faster and a couple of Just Releases would tear up crowds. Not to mention that Dante in DT can just repeatedly Stinger through crowds until they die then play keep away with guns and shit to build his DT or just start jumping on their heads.

Since you linked a video, I will link one too:

http://youtu.be/60OL9J0yrik?t=2m37s

ok, if we are gonna do this, lets at least compare simlar levels of skill.

Ryu can style too..

When you what?

*shivers*

Dahbomb

Bayonetta in NG2 and DMC? I think she would trounce both games. Maybe I don't know.

There should be a Bayonetta vs DmC cross over though. Dante and Bayonetta team up to hunt angels and demons together (now that DmC also has angels).

Wasn't there some Easter Egg in Bayonetta where the Eva in DMC1 was an Umbra Witch?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Bayonetta in NG2 and DMC? I think she would trounce both games. Maybe I don't know.

There should be a Bayonetta vs DmC cross over though. Dante and Bayonetta team up to hunt angels and demons together (now that DmC also has angels).

Wasn't there some Easter Egg in Bayonetta where the Eva in DMC1 was an Umbra Witch?

Yeah there was:
In the description for the Bracelet of Time in Bayonetta, Eva is described as a historical witch who entered into contract with a legendary dark knight.

Yes. Hell yes there should be a crossover.

That is awesome.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Ha! I guess I better change my difficulty off of normal then. I wouldn't want to be viewed as gamer white trash who spends his days huffin' dat Angry Birds.

who are you even talking to?

I got this:

raUm2.gif

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Bayonetta and DmC? Can't say I agree. The characters clash way too much. Bayonetta and DMC on the other hand. Now that's a combination.

Dahbomb

In the description for the Bracelet of Time in Bayonetta, Eva is described as a historical witch who entered into contract with a legendary dark knight.
animation1dfg2zq7ggauxz.gif

It's too bad in the DmC continuity Eva is an angel but if the OG DMC series is retained... this would still work out.

Itsuno + Kamiya ... DMC x Bayonetta PLZ!!!!

Top Bottom