• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

This was not a feature of DMC4, you would still get hit off screen by enemies but there would be sound cues.

I remember this working, but the AI will try to move towards the camera and then attack. But if their attack already started and you move the camera away, they would still do the attack.

And I like this, I mean, I hate been hit by stuff I can't see. Specially in games with no GUARD button. NG you get hit by everything no matter what, that is why most people in NG try to move in a way so they can see all the enemies. MGR suffers for the same thing, but I think it could had been fixed by adding the MGS4 Circle Radar around the character, unless that is an upgrade to Raiden.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Mission 12 on SoS is a little borked.
Tyrants walk directly into the hole in the center of room and float in the air while continuing to stalk Dante. If you're lucky you can demon pull them for an environmental kill but a couple of times I had to kill myself and reset the encounter.

Beyond that, I thought the enemy combinations there were easier than on Nephilim.

Exodus

Banned
DarҖaoZ;47042088 said:
I remember this working, but the AI will try to move towards the camera and then attack. But if their attack already started and you move the camera away, they would still do the attack.

And I like this, I mean, I hate been hit by stuff I can't see. Specially in games with no GUARD button. NG you get hit by everything no matter what, that is why most people in NG try to move in a way so they can see all the enemies. MGR suffers for the same thing, but I think it could had been fixed by adding the MGS4 Circle Radar around the character, unless that is an upgrade to Raiden.

It's not about being hit by stuff you can't see it's developing the skill to understand and predict what is happening behind you and performing actions and moves accordingly with what you can't see in mind.

This is why you see when it comes right down to it NG is all about taking advantage of mobility dashes and invincibility frames from specials and spinning air suplex drop(isuna drop?). Regardless, I think it's silly to actually WANT brain dead enemies you can't see. That just makes you a lazy gamer, go play it on easy if you want that.

Dahbomb

Anyone who has played action games has developed the skill to predict off screen attacks or listen for audio cues (most good action games have these). It's when they don't attack is when with experienced players can exploit it to their own means.

Granted some enemies don't really follow this pattern, a room with a Witch + 2 Dreamrunners you can't really rely on the camera to bail you out.

People want off-screen attacks? I've read it all now.
Off screen attacks are part of gaming. You get hit by off screen shots in shooters, you get hit by off screen stuff in an action game. This game is no exception to this but it greatly minimizes attacks coming from off screen.

I don't WANT to be hit by off screen attacks all the time but a good game should take it into consideration and balance around it. That means developing good audio cues, having good camera controls and putting in as many enemies as possible without breaking the game. On that regard DmC does a good enough job of it... it doesn't feel cheap when you get hit.

Hell, you could abuse the camera off-screen enemy AI in NGB too. That's why you see so many HP2 players putting the camera on just one Berserker instead of both of them.

Mike M

Nick N
Fuck off screen attacks, audio cues or no (Double fuck those without them, though). Moving a camera off having no effect on an enemy that's already winding up and off screen enemies trying to make it on screen, good enough for me.

Dahbomb

I have been hit by so much off screen shit in a NG game to know enemies don't really give a fuck about the camera. Not that the camera is all that great in a NG game to begin with.

Moving a camera off having no effect on an enemy that's already winding up and off screen enemies trying to make it on screen, good enough for me.

Yup, I have no problem with that too. The more agile characters will look for a way to be in your camera view range and then perform an attack.

Although in DmC is easier to avoid this in general with the fact that you can take the enemies to the stratosphere. I wish the flying enemies would follow you properly in the air more.

I have been hit by so much off screen shit in a NG game to know enemies don't really give a fuck about the camera. Not that the camera is all that great in a NG game to begin with.

Same, I didn't know NG had that. But for what I knew, the enemies hit you no matter what. But then again, the game has FULL BLOCK.

Exodus

Banned
Hell, you could abuse the camera off-screen enemy AI in NGB too. That's why you see so many HP2 players putting the camera on just one Berserker instead of both of them.

Did you watch the video posted earlier showing a challenge mode? A lot of shit was off screen and the only thing saving them was invincibility during special moves.

Mission 12 on SoS is a little borked.
Tyrants walk directly into the hole in the center of room and float in the air while continuing to stalk Dante. If you're lucky you can demon pull them for an environmental kill but a couple of times I had to kill myself and reset the encounter.

Beyond that, I thought the enemy combinations there were easier than on Nephilim.

That happened to me there and on mission 16.

Did you watch the video posted earlier showing a challenge mode? A lot of shit was off screen and the only thing saving them was invincibility during special moves.

It's not everything, just certain things. Mages don't do fireballs unless they are on-screen. Berserkers won't use firetraps.

Bigalski and Reim0027 were two of the best Ninja Gaiden Black players in their heyday, and they utilize this technique quite often.

Exodus

Banned
It's not everything, just certain things. Mages don't do fireballs unless they are on-screen. Berserkers won't use firetraps.

Bigalski and Reim0027 were two of the best Ninja Gaiden Black players in their heyday, and they utilize this technique quite often.

That's nice but let's talk Sigma.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Considering DmC doesn't have hard lock-on, I like their approach with offscreen enemies. At least this way I can separate enemies from the mob and prioritize certain people.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The smart way to handle this is to intelligently design sound cues so that you can tell when an enemy is winding up to attack.

Which is to say, do what Bayonetta did rather than just go "Seems like work, we'll just snip it out."

I could have sworn Bayonetta had a similar off-screen system, but I may be getting it confused with something else.

iavi

Bayonetta demo didnt do enough justice to the game same case might apply to Rising.

I hope so, though I could tell Bayo was special from the demo. I played through it multiple times then did the same for the ps3 demo just to see how the 360 pad compares to the DS.

I played through rising's twice and had enough.

---

Just got a HUGE update for DmC on steam? 1.6gigs.

I hope so.

---

Just got a HUGE update for DmC on steam? 1.6gigs.

As am I, hoping for Bloody Palace although unlikely given they set the date. Vergil Dlc would also be cool but not sure if I feel like spending 10 dollars so soon after release. At the same time I only paid 37 dollars for the game so I have no right to complain :D

I don't know how I feel about the whole AI gets disabled when enemies are off screen.

On one hand there is nothing more frustrating then having your SSS combo be cut down by an off screen attack. On the other hand this change to the system dilutes the challenge and becomes very easy to exploit as you can just focus your camera on specific enemies and then take them down. Of course this exploit does not always work and not for every enemy but it generally works to your advantage very well.

It takes all the fun out the game. Especially when fighting tyrants, as they seem to freeze even when you return the camera back to them, if their back is turned.

I do understand the philosophy behind it, but it feels hella neutered.

That said, there is a noticeable input delay in this game so maybe its a good thing.

I could have sworn Bayonetta had a similar off-screen system, but I may be getting it confused with something else.

I haven't played easier difficulties in a while, but my last run through NSIC was a few days ago and I definitely remember enemies attacking you from offscreen because I made mental notes of having to re-learn the cues.

Otherwise several parts (like the beginning of the highway stage) would be really laughably easy if the trumpet guys could not attack you and Gracious and Glorious would be jokes.

iavi

OK. So, you guys, the anticipation is killing me. There's no way a 1.6gig patch doesn't contain at least some goodies. BP, game balancing, etc

Somebody turbocharge their net, finish the DL, and make sense of all of this

jett

D-Member
1.6GB is the exact size of the cut-scene FMVs. Maybe this update just replaces them for some reason. Maybe it's a fix for those that have been having vsync issues during the FMVs.

You can check the DmC directory in your steam folder. If the size is over 10GB~ the something has been added to the game, if it's still 8.4GB then, nope.

Oh well *sad trombone*
Watched the introductory cutscene/fmv (club scene) to see if it looked better but still compressed and nasty.

By the way, one I'm thing I'm unsure on and have been meaning to ask. Lets say in the first encounter of a level I get hit but keep a SSS ranking throughout the rest of the combat scenarios. Will I get a SSS ranking at the end or does it require absolutely no damage?

iavi

Yeah, hype deflated. People on the Steam forums are saying that it's just bug fixes. Jett was probably right on the FMV vysnc issue.

Dahbomb

Someone can at least check the style system while they are at it.

Oh well *sad trombone*
Watched the introductory cutscene/fmv (club scene) to see if it looked better but still compressed and nasty.

By the way, one I'm thing I'm unsure on and have been meaning to ask. Lets say in the first encounter of a level I get hit but keep a SSS ranking throughout the rest of the combat scenarios. Will I get a SSS ranking at the end or does it require absolutely no damage?
You can die multiple times and still get SSS provided you have a good amount of style points and finished the mission in reasonable time.

PowderedToast

I quite liked the game in the first playthrough but holy shit is this game a drag to replay.
The combat is really fun but it's too spaced out on the missions there are too many parts walking around doing nothing and pointless platforming.
I was on the verge of giving up in the beginning of the 5th mission on dmd walking around with Kat and then I remembered the under siege mission which is lot worse and the trade and eyeless and bad news... it's just too boring.
I just can't do it =(

yep, it's quite bad

but that's what bloody palace is for ! i hope NT deliver on that and give us a good one

Someone can at least check the style system while they are at it.

You can die multiple times and still get SSS provided you have a good amount of style points and finished the mission in reasonable time.

Ok, cool. Just noticed the only times I've gotten an SSS ranking for combat are in levels where I didn't get hit so wasn't sure if it was related (besides the obvious downgrade in lettering when you get hit)

TP

Before, notice the SSS greys out but stays at SSS
bV4D15I.gif

Now, notice my health hasn't gone down and the SS is dropping from full white

Top Bottom