• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Guess Who

Banned
I don't mind the overall story, it's the details where things get lost.
Social commentary in a game with such tremendous punk culture influence is a given, but the "social commentary" is shallow and thoughtless. Why not actually make a statement about our society instead of just LOL FOX NEWS AND FAT PEOPLE? A world where demons run things in the shadows is great on paper, but why don't they just openly enslave people rather than do the whole manipulative Limbo thing? What's the motivation? I don't mind so much that Sparda's role has been reduced - there's something sweet about his only crime being loving an angel - but why isn't there more angel/demon backstory, or moreover, where the hell are the angels besides Eva? Why is Virility just Slurm from Futurama?
The dialogue is (for the most part) great - they're definitely better at writing speech than plots - but they need to think some of this shit through a bit more to really sell the story. Fortunately, it makes up for some of its plot shortcomings with pretty fantastic acting and animation. (I don't even mind Vergil's voice, I think the flatness fits the character.) Yeah, yeah, it's style over substance, but this is from a series whose very first cutscene involved the protagonist getting stabbed in the chest, his workplace being burned down, and him acting cool about it.

Gbraga

Just fought the Mission#14 boss fight and T_Toasty is right... getting behind him and hitting his left hind leg basically is the easiest way to beat the fight. During the 2nd phase he barely even attacks you at all and you can just go ham at him. It's even easier than sitting back at long ranged and spamming Overdrive.

I couldn't find any parry opportunity, I died 3 times looking for it. I even tried parrying the disco ball, no luck.

I only successfully parried the disco ball in the first stage of the fight, in the dark room one the ball just breaks when I parry it.

There is no perfect charge in the Eryx moves, right?
At least Stomp has one, it says Awesome Stomp in the Style Meter.

Anteater

meh heaven or hell isn't very fun, I didn't finish it in dmc4 either, I'll just find the remaining keys and doors, seems like I'm missing a few...

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Hmm playing through again on SoS and the angel enemies are really starting to annoy me. The angel weapons are my least favourite as they do so little damage, it gets quite boring fighting a whole room of angel only enemies.

I haven't tried demon dodge -> overdrive up until now. WHY???

Each stage of Succubus goes down in one of those and a followup up combo on DMD

It feels wrong lol

PaulloDEC

Just finished the game on PC (medium difficulty). Spoilers abound, so watch out.

Things I Loved
• Characters. All very well done IMO. Liked the main cast a lot,
and thought Mundus made a great villain.
• Performances. I thought everyone did a great job here. Liked Tim Phillipps as Dante especially.
• Art Direction. Really pretty game in general, with loads of creativity. Reminded me a lot of "American McGee's Alice" in that sense. Really liked it when they went off on unusual tangents,
like the Raptor News or Devil Has Talent segments. Even the living chalkboard stuff was great.
• Boss Battles (most of them, anyway). Really enjoyed these, particularly
the crazier ones, i.e. Bob Barbas, Lilith/Mundus Spawn, "Devil Has Talent", etc.
• Mechanics. Super enjoyable combat with heaps of variety. Plenty of great weapons to keep things interesting, and some light platforming to break up the battles.

Things I Liked
• Storytelling. I think NT did a great job here, keeping the story moving with a compact cast and some great dialogue.

Things I Didn't Like
•
Mundus Boss Battle. This one seemed to really lack the flow and creativity the other Boss Battles had. Dodge fists, hit fists, switch to other building. Repeat until dead.
•
Vergil Boss Battle. See "Dreamrunners".
•
Dante's white hair. I think his shorter, darker haircut suited him better. That's just me.
• Too many tactic-specific enemies. This became more of an issue as the game went along. Those guys are fun to fight, but only if there aren't five of them all hitting me at once. Also, more fodder please!

Things I Hated
•
Dreamrunners. Having to constantly wait for them to become vulnerable was boring, and not being able to use any of my regular attacks was irritating.

Overall, had a great time. Would definitely recommend.

jett

D-Member
Personally, I also enjoyed jumping around/gliding/angel dodging in this game. It just feels nice. I really don't understand those that say it's terrible or laugh at others for liking the platforming in this game.

Some one brought up the just timing on charged moves and these are the moves affected by properly releasing your charge discovered thus far:

Drive
Raze
Ricoshot

I tried experimenting with the Aquila Round Trip and Tornado move but couldn't come up with anything. Same for Snake Eyes. Someone said that the Eryx launcher might have a just release window, I am going to hit the lab and check it.

Edit: Checked it in Training and I couldn't find a window. Usually these inputs are accompanied by an extra visual effect to signify you did it right.

I think round trip has perfect charge. The thingy comes out purple-ish, at least, it seemed so to me.

Nemesis_

Things I Hated
•
Dreamrunners. Having to constantly wait for them to become vulnerable was boring, and not being able to use any of my regular attacks was irritating.

Overall, had a great time. Would definitely recommend.

I agree with most of your points except this one - how were you approaching them? I don't recall (outside of my first encounter) ever being passive enough in battle to the point where I'd have to "wait".

Hello no. I don't know why Ninja Theory gets all the hate considering the game is one of the most spectacular looking out of this generation and is still fairly solid gameplay and story-wise. Look how far NT have come since Heavenly Sword and Enslaved, the leaps and bounds they make between games are enormous all while maintaining the beautiful artistry they are so good at. I've high hopes for DmC2.

You know why they get hated and fairly solid is not acceptable.

PaulloDEC

I agree with most of your points except this one - how were you approaching them? I don't recall (outside of my first encounter) ever being passive enough in battle to the point where I'd have to "wait".

I think it was probably down to how much I sucked at reflecting their attacks. Typically I'd find that my attacks bounced harmlessly off them, I'd back up a bit, they'd do their teleport dealie and I'd get my chance to attack. Once they recovered they'd go right back to deflecting my attacks, and we'd do it all over again.

Personally, I also enjoyed jumping around/gliding/angel dodging in this game. It just feels nice. I really don't understand those that say it's terrible or laugh at others for liking the platforming in this game.

Some people think platforming should be more than just "feel nice".

jett

D-Member
TheDude-1.jpg

You should play some actual platformers if you think it's anything above eye-candy. I guess it makes sense not to make the platforming too challenging in a DMC game but let's not act like it isn't just grabby-pull-fly with very little regard for distances. There's no shame in admitting that you like some very shallow portions of the game.

The thing that annoyed me the most about the platforming was the randomness of the "Drive Boost" (not sure the actual name, but those random occurrences where you could press A and basically fly).

I could definitely see how anyone disliked or liked the platforming though. Very case by case per person.

I actively disliked DmC's platforming and I don't think it's better than previous games. It is, at best, on par, but at least previous DMC games managed to mix up the structure every so often. DmC's idea of platforming is the same floating platforms with different skins but no change in design or mechanics once you get the angel glide.

I feel like the platforming bonus room exposed just how bad the game is at doing it. When you fall because the hook, for whatever reason, did not target where it was supposed to (I find this was especially common on blue-red-blue jumps), maybe "boring, but works" is better than "incompetent."

jett

D-Member
You should play some actual platformers if you think it's anything above eye-candy. I guess it makes sense not to make the platforming too challenging in a DMC game but let's not act like it isn't just grabby-pull-fly with very little regard for distances. There's no shame in admitting that you like some very shallow portions of the game.

Duder, I've played more platformers than most. I just said I liked the feel of controls. For me that's the numero uno most important thing when it comes to jumping from one platform to another. It's true that it doesn't demand much challenge but let's not act like it's on rails like Enslaved or that hooking from a floating point to another is literally all you do in the game outside of combat. I'm not really going to argue any further with you, clearly we would be going in circles because it seems you can't accept someone having an opinion different than your own. If I like jumping in this game then it must mean it's the only game I've ever played.

ironcreed

Banned
I don't think it is going to win any awards as a platformer because it's an action game. But the shifting levels, angel gliding, pulling platforms and swinging are all done very well and it all flows nicely together. It's enough, and when considered as part of the entire package, this is indeed a great game. Die-hards can hate on it all they want, this is still well made for what it is.

Guess Who

Banned
I honestly really liked the level design of the Virility mission for how free-form the platforming was. Lots of variety in how you could maneuver across the map. There was an Eryx-sealed door in one part that I did a bit of platform trickery to get to, and a few minutes later I found another path - one that I suspect was the intended one, given how it sort of funneled me to it - that brought me there as well. I love that kind of shit, finding different ways through the level that the developer didn't necessarily expect.

Duder, I've played more platformers than most. I just said I liked the feel of controls. For me that's the numero uno most important thing when it comes to jumping from one platform to another. It's true that it doesn't demand much challenge but let's not act like it's on rails like Enslaved or that hooking from a floating point to another is literally all you do in the game outside of combat. I'm not really going to argue any further with you, clearly we would be going in circles because it seems you can't accept someone having an opinion different than your own. If I like jumping in this game then it must mean it's the only game I've ever played.

Well, if we agree that it doesn't require that much skill, I have a hard time understanding what makes those good platforming sections from a design perspective. Because I never said that the controls weren't good.

I don't think it is going to win any awards as a platformer because it's an action game. But the shifting levels, angel gliding, pulling platforms and swinging are all done very well and it all flows nicely together. It's enough, and when considered as part of the entire package, this is indeed a great game. Die-hards can hate on it all they want, this is still well made for what it is.

It's well made as a means of traversal but the over-reliance on huge platforms and grappling hooks (which are automatically targeted) just make it a means to show off the nice scenery and Dante flying around like a bad-ass. I'm not arguing that it makes the entire game shit but those sections are ultimately pretty boring and shallow.

remz

The shifting levels and grapply jumpy bits are there as a breather from all the fighting.

I remember playing DMC3 in front of my little cousin... age like 11 and he commented that "Do you do much else in the game? Or do you just fight these reaper guys?" It's not to say he didn't like the game, he was hooked watching but I imagine the reason they have these platforming spacers is to stop that kind of reaction, or at least to keep things fresh. It's not some super meat boy challenge run godlike platforming, but more like the parts where you walk from one area to another in Portal 2, a breather in cool scenery.

In that respect I actually like the platforming parts. Shout outs to the Virility jumping sections that were mentioned a few posts up. There's actually a bunch of ways you can traverse the big rooms when you have all the abilities, and it's dare i say fun to do so. :)

The shifting levels and grapply jumpy bits are there as a breather from all the fighting.

I remember playing DMC3 in front of my little cousin... age like 11 and he commented that "Do you do much else in the game? Or do you just fight these reaper guys?" It's not to say he didn't like the game, he was hooked watching but I imagine the reason they have these platforming spacers is to stop that kind of reaction, or at least to keep things fresh. It's not some super meat boy challenge run godlike platforming, but more like the parts where you walk from one area to another in Portal 2, a breather in cool scenery.

In that respect I actually like the platforming parts. Shout outs to the Virility jumping sections that were mentioned a few posts up. There's actually a bunch of ways you can traverse the big rooms when you have all the abilities, and it's dare i say fun to do so. :)

yB4vIeC.png

(comment on a DmC video, fucking rofl)

Mike M

Nick N
I have mixed feelings about the Virility level. Loved the visual design of the warehouse sections and the branching pathways through them, but oh my damn did it make finding that one last lost soul I had missed a needle in a haystack search.

I replayed that level sooooo many times, which wouldn't have been a problem if I could only skip the part in the beginning that takes place in the real world...

ironcreed

Banned
It's well made as a means of traversal but the over-reliance on huge platforms and grappling hooks (which are automatically targeted) just make it a means to show off the nice scenery and Dante flying around like a bad-ass. I'm not arguing that it makes the entire game shit but those sections are ultimately pretty boring and shallow.

Like I said, I don't think it will win any awards in that regard, but it is well done and flows together nicely for getting around in an action game. At least I think so. When considering it with the whole, it's fun and that is all I can ask for.

I almost hate myself now. I rushed the game through in human mode to get all the secret missions since the trophy bugged on my previous save. Only a few missions left on Son of Sparda too so I'll prolly get started with Dante Must Die tomorrow. I want that plat :d.

Game also kinda makes me want to revisit DMC 1 or 3 to try platting those but I probably skip that for now since I need to start Ni No Kuni soon after DmC is done. Hopefully I can manage with DMD, HaH... Also need to get some more SSS ratings on Nephilim. Got 13 missions with that rating now I think.

MYE

I dont get the complaints, I'm really enjoying the platforming segments. Good palate cleanser from all the fighting.

Game is awesome

Coconut

Banned
I have mixed feelings about the Virility level. Loved the visual design of the warehouse sections and the branching pathways through them, but oh my damn did it make finding that one last lost soul I had missed a needle in a haystack search.

I replayed that level sooooo many times, which wouldn't have been a problem if I could only skip the part in the beginning that takes place in the real world...

Yeah if I have on complaint it's the hidden item bullshit I've never come into a hack n' slash or beat'um up hoping to do so scavenger hunt BS.

Dahbomb

Anyway, do you think NT would do the "DmC" concept justice by doing a sequel? Because I honestly think nobody at Capcom Japan wants to, or can do (cus of Dragon's Dogma 2 that we all know is eventually coming) a DMC5. Ninja Theory did a stand-up job as a back up. The only other dev. I can think of Platinum Games, but only if it's got Kamiya.
The problem is that NT needs good writers again and they need a new gimmick. They can't use the whole Limbo gimmick again because if you finished the game you would know why they can't use it again.

And the next DmC game would have to be a next gen title which presents with its own challenges. There is no guarantee that DmC2 would be a better game just because it's on better hardware, devs end up focusing too much on graphics and not enough on game play.

I think round trip has perfect charge. The thingy comes out purple-ish, at least, it seemed so to me.
The purple charge comes if you have at it max level and if you charge it all the way. You don't need to just release it to get that color so that's not an indicator.

The Fox News level and Glenn Beck boss fight were fucking awesome.

Best giant head boss fight since Andross.
It gave me a OG Tron flashback and yeah, that entire arc of chapters has been my favorite section in the game so far. The atmosphere outside of the news tower/prison was just amazing.

The club levels are great too, such great art design and music :)

Anteater

Colored Rages...make me want to rage on the harder difficulties. Ok venting done

Yea those rats are annoying due to their attack speed and they come in pairs, charging weapons becomes a hassle to use on the ground and it also limits your moveset, I sometimes just get fed up with them and just spam axe on the red dude and use roundtrip on the blue guy and just spam combos on it while spacing out, could also parry the spinning shit but fuck it I don't care.

Dahbomb

I don't know how I feel about the whole AI gets disabled when enemies are off screen.

On one hand there is nothing more frustrating then having your SSS combo be cut down by an off screen attack. On the other hand this change to the system dilutes the challenge and becomes very easy to exploit as you can just focus your camera on specific enemies and then take them down. Of course this exploit does not always work and not for every enemy but it generally works to your advantage very well.

I don't know how I feel about the whole AI gets disabled when enemies are off screen.

On one hand there is nothing more frustrating then having your SSS combo be cut down by an off screen attack. On the other hand this change to the system dilutes the challenge and becomes very easy to exploit as you can just focus your camera on specific enemies and then take them down. Of course this exploit does not always work and not for every enemy but it generally works to your advantage very well.

The smart way to handle this is to intelligently design sound cues so that you can tell when an enemy is winding up to attack.

Which is to say, do what Bayonetta did rather than just go "Seems like work, we'll just snip it out."

leaf_

I quite liked the game in the first playthrough but holy shit is this game a drag to replay.
The combat is really fun but it's too spaced out on the missions there are too many parts walking around doing nothing and pointless platforming.
I was on the verge of giving up in the beginning of the 5th mission on dmd walking around with Kat and then I remembered the under siege mission which is lot worse and the trade and eyeless and bad news... it's just too boring.
I just can't do it =(

Dahbomb

That's how a friend of mine got through DMC4 on the highest difficulties...face camera away, charge shot, face enemies, fire, repeat.
This was not a feature of DMC4, you would still get hit off screen by enemies but there would be sound cues.

I am getting better ranks on higher difficulties than on Nephilim. On Nephilim I mostly got As and some Ss, on SoS I am getting Ss and SSs mostly.

Top Bottom