• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

5HdF7kL.jpg

>tfw BOMBA.

Q3oeeN2.jpg

>tfw never motivated.

Where's your motivation.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
DmC is a reflection of Capcom and Ninja Theory's piss poor PR job. Anyone who thought this game was hitting 2 million, I don't know what the hell to tell you.

Man, Vergil must have some killer upper body strength or cement shoes to swing a sword like that, in that stance, without tipping over

edit: oh god, that leterring is complete amateur hour

Dahbomb

Dat ass.

DmC is a reflection of Capcom and Ninja Theory's piss poor PR job.
This more than anything. There are a lot of factors to this game under performing but I feel this is the most important factor. Most other studios would've marketed this game on its strengths better and left out the cursing for example. Just compare this to the MGR PR. I don't want to spoil anything about that game because I already got shit for it in the MGR thread... but let's just say despite there not being that much differences between the two games one was handled much better than the other. Of course if even MGR does bad then we call all blame it on the lack of interest in the genre or the economy/state of the industry or whatever.

MGR also has the benefit of NOT being set against almost unanimous scorn and hatred from the fanbase to the point of parody since it's reveal trailer.

Averon

I wonder if this is the final straw for Ninja Theory. How many bombs does this studio have to make before publishers start backing away from them?

Oh cool can we talk about how bad the art in Chronciles of Vergil is because good lord at the anatomy in this panel

That's a pretty standard pose for female characters, sadly. I guess it's sort of progressive to see the anatomically impossible "ass+tits" pose used unironically for a male.

jett

D-Member
MGR also has the benefit of NOT being set against almost unanimous scorn and hatred from the fanbase to the point of parody since it's reveal trailer.

MGR's initial reveal was met with mixed reaction though, but because of PG's pedigree people kept an open mind. It didn't become a laughing stock like DMC(and also didn't tread on what the previous games had built) There was also no PR disaster, and hell Kojima forced their devteam to make a 20 minute video where they just grovel and apologize to the public. :lol

antitrop

When Ninja Theory can make something as good as Bayonetta, then Nintendo can think about funding their games.

I believe their next game will have a markedly lower budget than Heavenly Sword, Enslaved, or DmC, not even in the same ballpark.

I would love to watch the people who bash DmC and the people who defend it as the savior of the genre and better than DMC in every way enter a gladiator arena and just beat the shit out of each other

antitrop

I actually don't think I've ever seen anyone say DmC was the savior of the genre. Certainly not near that level of exaggeration. But I know what you mean.

Is the genre in need of a savior?

Chamber

love on your sleeve

And then there was the arrogance coming out of NT and Capcom following that trailer, the dumb comments ("Original Dante would get laughed out the bar!"), throwing the original franchise under the bus to justify this reboot. Who calls their own franchise stale? You think that's going to get fans on board with a reboot?

Seriously, fuck the sales of this game being some indictment on the genre. Game that nobody asked for bombs in the sales chart. Go figure.

I believe their next game will have a markedly lower budget than Heavenly Sword, Enslaved, or DmC, not even in the same ballpark.
iOS future confirmed.

Aaron

When Ninja Theory can make something as good as Bayonetta, then Nintendo can think about funding their games.

I loved Bayonetta, but finishing the game on infinite climax shows how much the gameplay leans on witch time. I'd put it on the same level as the new DmC. Neither have that sense of flow and power in Ninja Gaiden Black that still makes it best in class for me. No other game can you go from an untouchable god to completely fucked in an eye blink.

PR for this game was sadly misguided, and fed the negative fan reaction instead of quelling it.

antitrop

I loved Bayonetta, but finishing the game on infinite climax shows how much the gameplay leans on witch time. I'd put it on the same level as the new DmC. Neither have that sense of flow and power in Ninja Gaiden Black that still makes it best in class for me. No other game can you go from an untouchable god to completely fucked in an eye blink.
I love 'em all, man.

I'm not hardcore into the systems of any character action game, so I appreciate them all for different reasons from a more casual approach.

I certainly couldn't specify mechanically why I would like one game over the other. I don't see the games at a high enough level, and I tend to only play through them once. Although I did give Bayonetta an uncharacteristic second run.

Ninja Gaiden Black was awesome, Bayonetta was awesome, too.

You're not lying, though, Ninja Gaiden Black & 2 both had a certain perfect feel.
A true sense of power comparable to the first time I played God of War on PS2.

And of course Ninja Gaiden is legendary for its difficulty on any level, especially when I originally played through the first Xbox one in high school. It was rough.

Pein

Banned
I can only hope DLC and steam sales make a big enough dent to get a sequel. A wii u and vita port too would be nice if they could do it on the cheap.

Capcom should have never announced this game so damn early, maybe they should have waited and released it on next gen consoles.

I wonder if we'll hear from Capcom PR/Alex Jones at some point in the future about this. Questions about what people would like to see from the DMC franchise, which finds itself at a crossroads of sorts. Solicitations for advice from people who have advice (as opposed to abuse). Implicit mea culpas long in coming.

If we hear nothing at all, DMC is dead. If they approach the DMC fan base about it, DMC5 may happen. It's as simple as that.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
DmC2 and no DMC is all the same to me really.

I can still play the old games.

Aaron

A new DMC will eventually happen due to how hard it is coming up with new game names. Capcom's newest title is 'Remember Me.' WTF is this shit?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
DMC4 - successful
DMC HD Collection - successful
DmC - bomba

I don't get the negativity. Either DMC5 will happen or DmC2 will happen and be tailored in such a way as to be almost identical to what a DMC5 would be anyway.

antitrop

The success of DMC HD is obviously what gives me the most hope that they won't just retire the franchise outright from here.
Hardly seems logical to axe it outright, there is clearly still interest.

Hell, maybe next-gen Capcom will actually realize fans want a horror-based Resident Evil game and a true sequel to the original Devil May Cry.

iavi

A new DMC will eventually happen due to how hard it is coming up with new game names. Capcom's newest title is 'Remember Me.' WTF is this shit?

If you mute the volume and lay real still, you can actually hear the sound of Tameem Antoniades' heart breaking.

The feel of good sales numbers.

It was welcomed by the critics, and will probably make a return and then some for capcom by time all is said and done. Don't think he's too upset.

Anival

Banned
Im a fan of DMC 1 and 3. I was on the hate train ever since the first trailer but I have to admit after playing through DmC its actually not that bad. I just want a lock on that's it. I like that some moves are from the older games and stuff. The new Dante isn't as annoying as I thought he would be. The VA does a good job to match the character. I at least wanted to give this a chance.

As I alluded to in my previous post, I think any sort of postmortem for this game from Capcom and NT's end is going to be very interesting.

Should their relationship come to an end, I wonder if Ninja Theory folks will end up issuing recriminations towards Capcom like they did toward Sony and Namco-Bandai. And I'm curious what Alex Jones et al. will have to say, if they say anything at all, about where the series goes next.

Top Bottom