• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

the only thing with Inafune is that since he has left capcom, all he has worked on is typical "japanese" games. That suggests to me that there was alot of pressure from the top to make more money, and he just thought, "well western games sell, make western games!"

I don't think he was trying to fuck up capcom, he was simply the wrong man for his job. He couldn't meet the goals of capcom's corporate culture while nurturing capcoms development culture.

considering what happened to Ono following SF's Success and the SFxT Gem fiasco, im not sure all the bad decisions are all his fault

It also means Capcom is going to continue fucking up regardless.

Risette

A Good Citizen
the only thing with Inafune is that since he has left capcom, all he has worked on is typical "japanese" games. That suggests to me that there was alot of pressure from the top to make more money, and he just thought, "well western games sell, make western games!"

I don't think he was trying to fuck up capcom, he was simply the wrong man for his job. He couldn't meet the goals of capcom's corporate culture while nurturing capcoms development culture.

considering what happened to Ono following SF's Success and the SFxT Gem fiasco, im not sure all the bad decisions are all his fault

Typical Japanese games like an NG game outsourced to a western shovelware dev?

From interviews it seems like a lot of Platinum's development philosophy is a result of their bad experiences with Capcom's corporate culture. "If our games don't make money then we just close the company (PG)" is how Inaba(?) described it, I think.

From interviews it seems like a lot of Platinum's development philosophy is a result of their bad experiences with Capcom's corporate culture. "If the games don't make money then we just close the company" is how Inaba(?) described it, I think.

yeah, I get the impression that platinum pride themselves on working to strick deadlines and on a shoestring budget too (comparatively)

thats why their games don't have to sell gangbusters. However, if revengence, the wonderful 101 and Bayo2 don't sell great, they may be in a real difficult position.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
But this is exactly what DmC did. Kat and Dante are obviously good, while Vergil is clearly a sociopath and Mundus is cartoonishly evil. Phineas is meant to add a 'gray' area to demonkind, but there is nothing indicating that he wasn't entirely good.

DMC3, on the other hand, legitimately had gray areas with Vergil, Dante, and Lady and, shockingly, this didn't hurt the game at all.

Bloody hell, I hope this is not a goddamn spoiler for this game :\\\\\\\\

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone ever compile a full number list of just how many Capcom employees made the jump to Platinum? Because I wouldnt be surprised if that was the DMC5 workforce right there other than some key hangers on. Team Little Angels indeed.

I don't know how many worked at Capcom

but in the Iwata Asks, Minami said they started the company with about 60 people, and of those original 60 only 30 members remain.(out of 200 employees)

I don't think we'll ever know what shit he was saying behind the scenes to the board as a power play. He was definitely very public about his distaste, but for Capcom to divorce themselves of so much talent and suddenly Inafune becomes King of Capcom Development...

Errrr... I don't think it's that dramatic

Remember Mikami, Kamiya and Inaba all resigned from their positions. Clover as a studio and as a brand was dissolved, but no one lost their job over it to my knowledge. All the employees were to be reintegrated back into their internal R&D studios

Gbraga

I don't know how many worked at Capcom

but in the Iwata Asks, Minami said they started the company with about 60 people, and of those original 60 only 30 members remain.(out of 200 employees)

I had this beautiful fantasy in my mind that Platinum had 100 employees, and The Wonderful 101 was a game about me and Platinum fighting side by side!

And then we kissed.

I dunno, all his interviews since then have been "Japanese development has no chance against the west."

Which, true or not, does imply that he wasn't just making a quick follow-the-money process at Capcom.

It's not a spoiler. I mean it's very debatable if you could even classify him as such, at worst he has anti-social tendencies (that's the correct label, we don't really use sociopath much anymore).

Heh, DmC Vergil don't give a fuuuck.

8442768534_876daf411f_c.jpg

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
DmC combined sales didn't even hit the lowest selling version of a single platform DMC4. That's gotta hurt.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The NPD posts are making me brain want to implode. What in the fuck.

I do wish we had updated DMC HD collections. I'm curious what bump it got in January.

rvy

Banned
I'd be surprised if NT didn't have another go at DMC, quite frankly. Sure seems like Capcom invested a lot in damage control because they had a long-term plan.

I'd be surprised if NT didn't have another go at DMC, quite frankly. Sure seems like Capcom invested a lot in damage control because they had a long-term plan.

I would.

As ive said before the heads of development may be impressed with NT's work, But their direct bosses will probably veto any move to have NT work on an established franchise again.

A new IP however, is not out the realm of possibility.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
So Ninja Theory is 3 of 3 three big budget titles that all failed.

I don't see it,I really don't. Capcom might be stupid but not that clueless when it's about losing money, and need to act fast, the beginning of a generation is good place for hack n slash,DMC still important brand and Capcom know that they can save if.

I'd say they will drop NT completely after their lose,and delay/cancel DD2 and immediately put the team on DMC5.

FireVoa

If the game is performing badly when compared to its predecessors, why would Capcom invest more money in a sequel? The gambit was let NT make a reboot of the DMC franchise to hopefully reinvigorate the franchise... It didn't work out sales wise despite the positive reviews. The game's notoriety alone did a tremendous amount of damage which only furthered DmC's failing to take off and shutdown plans for a sequel potentially.

ezekial45

Banned
It's a bit sad to see a lot of people relishing the low NPD numbers and outright wishing for the worst for NT.

I'd say they will drop NT completely after their lose,and delay/cancel DD2 and immediately put the team on DMC5.

That would be tragic, considering DD is a remarkable game. Though I do find it amusing that after making a successful new IP, people want nothing to do with it and wish for them to return to making sequels.

This is why we can't have nice things.

It's a bit sad to see a lot of people relishing the low NPD numbers and outright wishing for the worst for NT.

That would be tragic, considering DD is a remarkable game. Though I do find it amusing that after making a successful new IP, people want nothing to do with it and wish for them to return to making sequels.

This is why we can't have nice things.

And why should NT get any form of praise.

Top Bottom