• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Oh shit we in the CT.

That tells me that Japan is sort of OK with Westernized games but the West isn't (at least for games coming from Capcom). I mean when you break down the numbers, DmC in Japan sold almost as much as DmC in US... despite having less than half of the population.

Pushing and advertising games in Japan is a whole different beast than in NA. Capcom is one of the premier companies so they can literally bully retailers around to market their games, and hell, retailers will even take it upon themselves to heavily market a game with the materials companies give them if it means they get a huge shipment of whatever AAA game is in the pipeline (MH4, next RE, next SF, etc.)

Even now there are stores still advertising DmC, so it's not a surprise that the game sold like it did.

I don't dispute this at all. You're right, and I'm sure this is exactly what happened. Plus, one of Greg's tweet said he was proud of NT for "seeing the game through". Which is equally telling that this is it for DmC. They were prepared for this, no doubt about it.

For ORC they kept people in the dark, and it didn't come into light how poor it was until around release. On paper, it sounded like a cool game, and that's what got people interested.

Now I'm a bit sad. I really don't like seeing good games not do well. At least they can take solace in the fact they made one of their best reviewed games this gen -- I guess.
Honestly, I think a big part of it is that shooters in general get a LOT more leeway from both consumers and publishers right now. It's sad for, you know, every other genre ever. :-/

How much did DMC4 and DMC3 pull off in their first month? I've also affirmed that DmC's sales will mirror more of DMC3's sales, given similarities of generation life-cycle release, and both DMC3 and DmC were follow ups to disappointing DMC games. I know DMC2 sucks a lot more than DMC4, in fact - DMC4 is a great game, disappointing, but still great. But what makes it great is it's in-depth combat system, that most gamers won't be able to appreciate or tap into it. You take away DMC4's combat system, and you're left with a train wreck of a game.

I'd also like to hope that since NPD doesn't cover digital sales, that PC sales could add up to that 187k and bump it to something a little bit more respectful.

sleepykyo

How much did DMC4 and DMC3 pull off in their first month? I've also affirmed that DmC's sales will mirror more of DMC3's sales, given similarities of generation life-cycle release, and both DMC3 and DmC were follow ups to disappointing DMC games. I know DMC2 sucks a lot more than DMC4, in fact - DMC4 is a great game, disappointing, but still great. But what makes it great is it's in-depth combat system, that most gamers won't be able to appreciate or tap into it. You take away DMC4's combat system, and you're left with a train wreck of a game.

I'd also like to hope that since NPD doesn't cover digital sales, that PC sales could add up to that 187k and bump it to something a little bit more respectful.

It's possible.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=513443

NPD says physical game sales are 50% of the market in the US.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

DMC3 did over 200k its first month on one platform (252,006 is the number I found in a gaf thread)

DMC4 did about 500k across 2.

No matter how you slice it, DmC's sales just don't stack up. It's an unequivocal failure in that regard.

I mean even if it's like you said and PC sales push it up above 200k, that's 3 platforms to achieve what DMC3 did on one in a similar generation life-cycle situation, and still extremely disappointing compared to the growth the franchise achieved going multiplatform with 4.

For the PC players:

I don't suppose anyone would know of any trick to get the Style Meter off the screen? Moving Dante's health, weapon swaps, and orb acquisition is easy, but I've yet to pinpoint the Style meter.

8480362175_6b6a5f076d_b.jpg

DMC3 also had the SE re-release (God, I spent a week playing the hell out of Vergil, it was the first time I learned to cancel moves in a videogame) so I doubt DmC will have the same growth.

Also keep in mind DMC3 had to overcome the terrible impression of 2 so it relied on word of mouth more.

danmaku

It would be hilarious if the PC version ended up as the best selling one. PC crowd doesn't have a lot of action games, has no big history with the franchise (DMC3 was a shitty port and no one got it, DMC4 sold well) and DmC is an excellent port. It looks great and plays smooth on most PCs. It's still 40€ now, too expensive for casual buyers, but at the next sale it'll make good numbers.

Daante

Beat the game yesterday.

Overall i really enjoyed it, felt like a fresh reboot even though i was very, very sceptical from the beginning.

Liked:
- Combat system
- Dialogue, and the directing of the cut scenes
- Some of the art

Disliked:
- Some of the art and levels
- Some of the sexual things/themes

Not sure:
- Overall story, though i felt the story and how it was told between Dante and Vergil was really well done.
- Boss battles - though the last boss battle was fucking EPIC

I feel this COULD have been in the same league as DMC1/DMC3 if they designed the art more in the viens of DMC 1 , aka gothic and more epic boss battles. With Unreal Engine 3 there was also a bit too much grey for my taste.

I mean the colorful levels, and some of the art for some of the levels looks AMAZING in real HD on PC. If they would have gone with a more "fantasy-gothic-larger-levels-look" with another engine i think they would have cashed in the jackpot with me.
The combat system is not in the league as DMC3 , but i found it more enjoyable than in DMC4.

I rank the game slightly under DMC1 and DMC3, but on pair or even better than DMC4.
Really looking forward to the Vergil DLC. Good work Ninja Theory!

8/10

V_Arnold

"With Unreal Engine 3 there was also a bit too much grey for my taste."

I do not understand this line. The engine does not determine the colors, the assets do.
Also, DmC is very, very colorful. Much more colorful than 99% of the games in current consoles.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
lol they are putting the terrible bosses in bloody palace. Guess it was hopeless to want otherwise.

I had a problem with DMC4 throwing bosses in there, but I can't help but feel this is fine.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm inching my way through SoS mode currently (and I'm not GREAT at the game, hence the inching) and certain enemy combinations feel incredibly brutal. Not looking forward to some of these...my Bloody Palace vacation may be extremely brief.

Dahbomb

Upside down Bloody Palace with enemies in it?

That is beyond stupid. I guess I will play that level on my laptop and flip the screen up.

What I'm more worried about is that those numbers indicate levels in the far left corner.

mundus was level 100. The second easiest boss in the game.

Smh.

Nothing about that trailer suggested any kind of challenge. It's looked like the NG3 approach. Rather than remix encounters to increase difficulty, they just give you wave after wave of the same and hope it wears you down.

I hope I'm wrong.

Mike M

Nick N
What I'm more worried about is that those numbers indicate levels in the far left corner.

mundus was level 100. The second easiest boss in the game.

Smh.

Succubus is level 20, Hunter is level 40, Barbas is level 80. Guessing Spawn is level 60.

No rhyme or reason to those level assignments...

EDIT: I'm not automatically opposed to upside down fights (It's certainly something new that we didn't see in the game), but I have a sneaking suspicion it's going to be all of levels 61-79, which would waaaaaaay overstay it's welcome.

Dahbomb

Highly unlikely that more tweaks will be made.

I don't know what the policy is on spoilers anymore. Game has been demoted to CT (has been a month since the game's release) so I would have to assume that spoilers are fine now.

Mike M

Nick N
Picked up Revengence tonight, I'll probably tackle Bloody Palace when Virgil's Downfall is released. I liked the base game enough to bite at the opportunity to play more as Virgil.

LiK

finished it today. great game. lots of fun. i don't get the nitpicky complaints people had. the combat was fluid as hell. never stopped enjoying mixing up the weapons. the game is goddamn gorgeous on the PC with maxed out settings.

i hope to see a sequel.

Wonko_C

I feel like this game is going to be the perfect "Training Wheels" that will ease me into DMC3. I finished it on the PS2 back then but never bothered to style through it. I recently bought the HD Collection just for that reason. I'm going to RTTP and it's going to get crazy.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Just did a run through Bloody Palace, about 90 mins. One stage has color coded floors, another is upside down. Mundus and Vergil are fought back to back but otherwise not very difficult. I thought some of the waves in the regular game were tougher.

Just did a run through Bloody Palace, about 90 mins. One stage has color coded floors, another is upside down. Mundus and Vergil are fought back to back but otherwise not very difficult. I thought some of the waves in the regular game were tougher.

Urgh. Not even going to bother renting again to try it now. unless I read some amazing impressions about vergils downfall, I'm done with this game.

Yiorgos

When is Bloody Palace going to be available on Steam? Dont see it anywhere even though a few days back i was prompted for a 1.3GB update.

Top Bottom