• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Dahbomb

DmC IS a good game. Compared to the many other "cinematic" set piece driven games out there, it's far more of a game than most of those other multi million sellers.

DmC does not have fully featured QTEs.
It has fully customizable controls (most games still don't have this) and the controls are responsive.
It has new game+ and multiple difficulties.
It's combat actually has depth past the 10 hour mark.
Has solid graphics
Good length (it's not uncommon to see 4-5 hours game on first time walkthrough)
Does not suffer from weird pacing issues (hello Darksiders 2)
Does not have silly loot/crafting, "detective" mode, tacked on multiplayer or all the other crap shoved in AAA games these days to justify the $60 (hello Tomb Raider)

I mean how many games out there can you say fulfill those basic requirements for being a good game? Just compare this to the previous 2 NT games, I mean my god what a difference. If NT can improve at a caliber going from Enslaved to DmC for their next game, they can truly have a big hit on their hands.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
That sounds pretty bad actually. I don't think I want an internally developed DmC2. I mean Japanese devs trying to emulate Western idealogies and style usually leads to some pretty cringeworthy stuff.

Devil May Cry was already a western focused IP. That was always the funniest thing about this reboot to me.

An internal DmC2 would equal a hypothetical DMC5 in the gameplay department. As far as story goes, there's just more to explore in the DmC universe. Angels, Nephilim, Sparda still being alive somewhere, Vergil being alive, the two unknown demon kings, etc. As much as I'll always miss Uncle Dante, the only story I want to see from the OG DMC is a Sparda prequel.

Riposte

DmC is a good enough game. Ask whether it is good or not after the update.

Also praising the lack of QTEs is kind of silly when the platforming feels like a sequence of QTEs. Sometimes it is alright though.

Dahbomb

Devil May Cry was already a western focused IP. That was always the funniest thing about this reboot to me.
While true it seemed the developers who actually got some of the Western idealogies left Capcom (Kamiya and Mikami mostly). Plus the series has gotten progressively less Western and more Anime over the years. This is not a dig at the newer games, I like my anime in small dosage but you can't put that style into DmC2 is what I am saying. I mean if you are really serious about this then they can't let Kobayashi anywhere near DmC2.
Also praising the lack of QTEs is kind of silly when the platforming feels like a sequence of QTEs. Sometimes it is alright though.
Well I meant in combat mostly like against regular enemies. Yeah technically speaking those pull rings stuff is essentially QTEs or contact sensitive actions. Only difference is that a giant X or [] doesn't pop up when you do it so it's a more subtle use of QTEs.

Veelk

Banned
I mean how many games out there can you say fulfill those basic requirements for being a good game? Just compare this to the previous 2 NT games, I mean my god what a difference. If NT can improve at a caliber going from Enslaved to DmC for their next game, they can truly have a big hit on their hands.

I wouldn't be surprised if DmC is what kills NT. They already talked about Enslaved being their last chance to make it big with their own IP, now they gave capcom the worst selling DMC game thus far.

Someone might take them, maybe capcom will give them a second chance, but I wouldn't be surprised if they ended here.

Dahbomb

They are expanding and they apparently already got another project lined up. I have to imagine they got a contract with Capcom or something.

It makes no sense but this is more than likely NOT NT's last game.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Ninja Theory will continue to get work. Hopefully they'll get a project that is actually suited to their strengths.

I'm okay with DmC2 being made, as long as DMC5 is made first.

Pein

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if DmC is what kills NT. They already talked about Enslaved being their last chance to make it big with their own IP, now they gave capcom the worst selling DMC game thus far.

Someone might take them, maybe capcom will give them a second chance, but I wouldn't be surprised if they ended here.

they already expanded for a mobile division and are hiring, they're doing just fine.

DmC has a pretty good metacritic score too so if they make quality games it won't be hard for them to keep going.

I still find it weird that people think that DMC and DmC could truly coexist and both continue to get developed. Call of Duty this ain't, folks.

Suggestions that that's a real possibility are wishful myopia at best and intellectual dishonesty at worst.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
While true it seemed the developers who actually got some of the Western idealogies left Capcom (Kamiya and Mikami mostly). Plus the series has gotten progressively less Western and more Anime over the years. This is not a dig at the newer games, I like my anime in small dosage but you can't put that style into DmC2 is what I am saying. I mean if you are really serious about this then they can't let Kobayashi anywhere near DmC2.

I wouldn't let Kobayashi in the fucking building and honestly, I wouldn't want Itsuno to have any role beyond overseeing combat. There's still talent at Capcom.

ezekial45

Banned
Ninja Theory will continue to get work. Hopefully they'll get a project that is actually suited to their strengths.

Did someone hijack your account? You actually said something vaguely positive about this game and NT.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Did someone hijack your account? You actually said something remotely positive this game and NT.

I'm just stating facts. They're not going anywhere for the time being. Redirected maybe. I still don't think they should have ever been on the project.

My biggest issue with DmC is that it's always been slated as a replacement series to the classic line DMC, as much as Capcom denies it in interviews. As long as there's confirmation that both actually could co-exist, then I'd be fine with both being made. But since that's incredibly unlikely, I have to pine for the one that I actually care about.

Veelk

Banned
They are expanding and they apparently already got another project lined up. I have to imagine they got a contract with Capcom or something.

It makes no sense but this is more than likely NOT NT's last game.

Really...? What did they get personal training from Suda or something?

Dahbomb

I wouldn't let Kobayashi in the fucking building and honestly, I wouldn't want Itsuno to have any role beyond overseeing combat. There's still talent at Capcom.
So who's going to be working on the story/characters? I mean what game this gen released by Capcom had a story that wasn't bad?

They can easily make a pretty and solid playing DMC but whatever story/character angle they will end up going with it's going to suck big time. Even if they go the DMC5 route, I can't imagine anything less than a train wreck when they try to explain the whole Vergil/Nero situation.

And if they make DmC2 and have an older Dante... do they cast Rueben again? Do they tread through DMC3 storyline again? I mean just so many question marks over the direction of the next DMC game, it's a clusterfuck either way.

Madouu

I grabbed the game and I'm playing through it right now. I'm at the 8th mission and so far so good. As long as I'm actually playing and not watching some silly cinematic, the game is really nice, some creative level design, and a good fighting system.

The story doesn't seem to be very great, the themes the game is trying to touch on have been tackled in a very superficial manner so far but I wasn't expecting much at this level anyway and it doesn't take too much space so it's okay.

Also love the art direction but the music a bit less sadly.

Overall it has been very enjoyable.

If DmC2: Gimme more Angel Stuff. Angel Trigger. Angel Characters. NT's version of heaven. I want that side of the equation. I'm curious.

If DMC5: Something Sparda related? Or maybe they get ballsy and make a DMC after 2, using that cool-ass design from 2.

Seriously, if someone from NT ever lurked this thread, please make a DMC2 Dante skin, I'd buy it.

Tokubetsu

If DmC2: Gimme more Angel Stuff. Angel Trigger. Angel Characters. NT's version of heaven. I want that side of the equation. I'm curious.

If DMC5: Something Sparda related? Or maybe they get ballsy and make a DMC after 2, using that cool-ass design from 2.

Seriously, if someone from NT ever lurked this thread, please make a DMC2 Dante skin, I'd buy it.

I like both these idea. I think we've had enough young dante. Would love to see more older (say late 30s?) Dante that they were trying to go for in 4/2.

ArjanN

I still find it weird that people think that DMC and DmC could truly coexist and both continue to get developed. Call of Duty this ain't, folks.

Suggestions that that's a real possibility are wishful myopia at best and intellectual dishonesty at worst.

Eh, I figured Ninja Theory would probably move on to something else anyway after a DmC2, even if it was a big success.

Lijik

The only way I could ever see that happening is if they continued with Nero (or maybe flashbacked to Sparda) and dropped the DMC name to reflect that, which I highly doubt.

Riposte

NT will probably live on. I hope they learned a lot from DmC. This game is light years away from their previous garbage.

However the moment someone posts a "NT has closed down" thread... haha, going to be one hell of a shitstorm.

Endo Punk

Only 187k? The game topped Japan and UK charts with far less. I guess we shouldn't be surprised when it doesn't hit its lowered sales forecast. There seems to be a huge divide between the company and consumers. The critics overrate them for the most part but they still can't find their audience. Not surprised though, the PR from these guys sound like they are some big shot company that can afford to spew shit. I'm not sure if NT can transition into the next gen until they have a major restructure on their business practices and ethics.

As for DMC, just go back to its roots. Go back to what worked and what people enjoyed. May be uncool, japanesy fashionista, cheesy but it was one hell of a gaming experience that had an audience who loved it despite what the naysayers say.

Only 187k? The game topped Japan and UK charts with far less. I guess we shouldn't be surprised when it doesn't hit its lowered sales forecast. There seems to be a huge divide between the company and consumers. The critics overrate them for the most part but they still can't find their audience. Not surprised though, the PR from these guys sound like they are some big shot company that can afford to spew shit. I'm not sure if NT can transition into the next gen until they have a major restructure on their business practices and ethics.

As for DMC, just go back to its roots. Go back to what worked and what people enjoyed. May be uncool, japanesy fashionista, cheesy but it was one hell of a gaming experience that had an audience who loved it despite what the naysayers say.

Pretty much this. As for the numbers - wow. That's significantly lower than I thought. Is it first month sales? Digital downloads or no?

It's crazy - PR for DmC talked a big game and this is where they wound up. Who would have thought alienating a fanbase would do that to ya?

V_Arnold

So who's going to be working on the story/characters? I mean what game this gen released by Capcom had a story that wasn't bad?

They can easily make a pretty and solid playing DMC but whatever story/character angle they will end up going with it's going to suck big time. Even if they go the DMC5 route, I can't imagine anything less than a train wreck when they try to explain the whole Vergil/Nero situation.

And if they make DmC2 and have an older Dante... do they cast Rueben again? Do they tread through DMC3 storyline again? I mean just so many question marks over the direction of the next DMC game, it's a clusterfuck either way.

CyberConnect2 could jump in with awesome cutscenes. They did with Asura's Wrath. That might be good for a new DMC/DmC.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I always saw DMC post #1 as like a sort of arms race in ridiculous cutscene action and bizarre weapons. DMC3 had Dante jumping off a tower, throwing his sword downwards and shooting bullets at it to make it burn-up like a meteor, and then a bat-woman enemy that turns into an electric guitar weapon. DMC4 had Dante throwing energy swords at some shit with a rose between his teeth and talking about sticking his dick in and out of things, as well as a briefcase that turned into a hi-tech mobile gun platform firing missiles and all manner fucking everywhere.

DmC just sort of replaced that with tiresome attempts to be edgy rather than truly OTT and some really fucking bog standard weapons.

Bayonetta meanwhile had bazookas you strapped to your shins, and Revengeance has a pole-arm literally made of bionic arms that also functions as a whip.

I don't want my stylish action grounded more in reality or whatever the fuck. I want that cheese, I want that nonsense. For once it looks like the market has agreed with me (watch Revengeance crater now)

vg260

I always saw DMC post #1 as like a sort of arms race in ridiculous cutscene action and bizarre weapons. DMC3 had Dante jumping off a tower, throwing his sword downwards and shooting bullets at it to make it burn-up like a meteor, and then a bat-woman enemy that turns into an electric guitar weapon. DMC4 had Dante throwing energy swords at some shit with a rose between his teeth and talking about sticking his dick in and out of things, as well as a briefcase that turned into a hi-tech mobile gun platform firing missiles and all manner fucking everywhere.

DmC just sort of replaced that with tiresome attempts to be edgy rather than truly OTT and some really fucking bog standard weapons.

Bayonetta meanwhile had bazookas you strapped to your shins, and Revengeance has a pole-arm literally made of bionic arms that also functions as a whip.

I don't want my stylish action grounded more in reality or whatever the fuck. I want that cheese, I want that nonsense. For once it looks like the market has agreed with me (watch Revengeance crater now)

Yeah, that's how I feel. I don't want realism, social commentary, or attempts to be edgy in these types of game. Give me wacky and over the top.

Dahbomb

Oh shit we in the CT.

I'm not sure how relevant it is, but so did RE 6.
That tells me that Japan is sort of OK with Westernized games but the West isn't (at least for games coming from Capcom). I mean when you break down the numbers, DmC in Japan sold almost as much as DmC in US... despite having less than half of the population.

Riposte

That tells me that Japan is sort of OK with Westernized games but the West isn't (at least for games coming from Capcom). I mean when you break down the numbers, DmC in Japan sold almost as much as DmC in US... despite having less than half of the population.

Actually it tells me the word "westernized" might be over-used.

This also marks two games (DMC4/DmC) where Capcom has tried to move away from Dante as a main character, then compromised on that goal and/or failed to gain traction with that effort. Don't forget that Nero was *also* an attempt to reach a new audience or make the series more welcoming to new players.

Maybe it's time for Capcom to admit that (a) the Devil May Cry story/continuity REALLY doesn't matter to people as much as they think it does, and (b) people actually do kinda want Dante as the main character and it's time to stop pushing away from that.

Oh hey, Community forum.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Actually it tells me the word "westernized" might be over-used.

I think it's a buzzword in Japan that catches the attention of upper management. They hear "westernization" and they see dollar bills. But that's not how it works. It's not that simple, and more often than not they fail at emulating the successful franchises they're trying to copy.

NG3 had a host of problems, but at its core I at least agree with Hayashi that trying to give the title more Western appeal was a giant failure... especially since they didn't understand how to go about doing it.

Oh shit we in the CT.

It tells me that the Japanese suffer much more from uncompromising brand loyalty than in the west.

They ate up RE:ORC too.

ezekial45

Banned
It tells me that the Japanese suffer much more from uncompromising brand loyalty than in the west.

I find it pretty distressing that ORC sold 2mill +, while DmC is having such a hard time. Different games, I know, but THAT was a game that was mired by laziness and overall sloppy design, and quite frankly it didn't deserve to sell that much. But Capcom pushed it hard (TV spots for months) and it paid off.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

This is definitely the case. The culture of becoming a lifer fan in Japan is a lot more widespread. You have a lot more advertisement and merchandising to keep them in that place of franchise allegiance too.

I find it pretty distressing that ORC sold 2mill +, while DmC is having such a hard time. Different games, I know, but THAT was a game that was mired by laziness and overall sloppy design, and quite frankly it didn't deserve to sell that much. But Capcom pushed it hard (TV spots for months) and it paid off.

But as I've been trying to say to you, They tried pushing it. It wasn't working pre-release so they cut their losses. Remember advertising money has to come from somewhere. If the market isn't responding at a certain point, it eats too far into your margins, even if you may win people over in the long run.

I refuse to believe a game that was getting that level of pre-release promotion would suddenly go cold unless there was a decision higher up.

Honestly, Capcom spent too much money trying to win back the OG fans, which still failed, than trying to introduce new fans to the series. They were wholey unprepared for the backlash and it put them into panic mode, scrambling to appeal to SOMEBODY... and in effect losing everyone.

Dahbomb

Most people didn't know about the shittiness of the game until after they had put down money for it.

Pretty much shows how little reviews sway gamer purchases these days and how much of an impact pre-release hype goes into generating sales. Watch that new Aliens game sell more than DmC.

ezekial45

Banned
But as I've been trying to say to you, They tried pushing it. It wasn't working pre-release so they cut their losses. Remember advertising money has to come from somewhere. If the market isn't responding at a certain point, it eats too far into your margins, even if you may win people over in the long run.

I refuse to believe a game that was getting that level of pre-release promotion would suddenly go cold unless there was a decision higher up.

Honestly, Capcom spent too much money trying to win back the OG fans, which still failed, than trying to introduce new fans to the series. They were wholey unprepared for the backlash and it put them into panic mode, scrambling to appeal to SOMEBODY... and in effect losing everyone.

I don't dispute this at all. You're right, and I'm sure this is exactly what happened. Plus, one of Greg's tweet said he was proud of NT for "seeing the game through". Which is equally telling that this is it for DmC. They were prepared for this, no doubt about it.

For ORC they kept people in the dark, and it didn't come into light how poor it was until around release. On paper, it sounded like a cool game, and that's what got people interested.

Now I'm a bit sad. I really don't like seeing good games not do well. At least they can take solace in the fact they made one of their best reviewed games this gen -- I guess.

Endo Punk

I can only imagine how awesome a DMC5 could have been with everything Capcom learnt from DMC3 and the success and failures of DMC4. The tech was down so it was only a matter of refining and pushing DMC to the next level of gameplay perfection. I guess I can wait another 5 years...

Now I'm a bit sad. I really don't like seeing good games not do well. At least they can take solace in the fact they made one of their best reviewed games this gen -- I guess.

And I don't like seeing good franchises thrown under the bus just when they are about to hit it big time. But we can't have everything.

I don't dispute this at all. You're right, and I'm sure this is exactly what happened. Plus, one of Greg's tweet said he was proud of NT for "seeing the game through". Which is equally telling that this is it for DmC. They were prepared for this, no doubt about it.

For ORC they kept people in the dark, and it didn't come into light how poor it was until around release. On paper, it sounded like a cool game, and that's what got people interested.

As a post-mortem, as a individual title with out the DMC name, I can even say I like DmC to a fault. I honestly wouldn't begrudge It being a success, but I know If the series is to follow the DmC timeline from now on, I will eventually lose interest.

Honestly though, I do think that these type of games aren't going to be able to migrate to the next generation, least not at first.

Even a successful DmC wouldn't have sold more than 2.5 million and that isn't going to cut it next gen, least not at first.

whether DMC5 or DmC2, lets hope Capcom gives alot more thought to what the fanbase wants, before thinking what they can do to draw in newcomers. Then they wont have to scramble over themselves to get someone to buy their game.

Top Bottom