• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Dahbomb

Saw the suspenders Dante pic... yea it looks like you would imagine only he doesn't even have a coat on... it's just no shirt Dante with pants + suspenders. Not much different from the fake image I posted, just imagine that without a jacket.

Also the image looks fucked up in general... Dante has all these lacerations on him and weird red demon apparitions clinging on to him.

ezekial45

Banned
Oh, come now. It's way different from the joke pic you posted. He literally looks infected with demonic energy. He's got lesions and has this disturbed look to him.

jett

D-Member
Personally I really DmC's Rebellion.

DmC_New_Rebellion.jpg

Like Miizy said, Alastor is just ugly. It has vampire wings on the side ffs.

tumblr_mgozang7O51rblqwco4_1280.png

Man that looks 10x worse than the current one. Holy shit at those straps... did Nomura design this?

They really were determined to make Dante a smoker, huh? The outfit is all right, I'd look better all black or darker colors.

iavi

Also the image looks fucked up in general... Dante has all these lacerations on him and weird red demon apparitions clinging on to him.

I was telling Ezekial, that would have actually made a fantastic DT, in the context of the origing story. An incomplete DT--two thirds a head of white, it damaging him, with demons half trying to take him over when he uses it.

The one we got was way too clean.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Brea: DmC 01

Kinda funny. I've been following the glitches for when I get the pc version(they might get patched). They already have an infinite jump, flight, and the usual speedrunning tricks. It's going to be a fun run to watch, when someone plans a route and takes it seriously.

I think I want to speedrun this game.

Dahbomb

Oh, come now. It's way different from the joke pic you posted. He literally looks infected with demonic energy. He's got lesions and has this disturbed look to him.
I meant the look of the suspenders and pants. They are pretty generic so it's easy to imagine. And yeah the whole ambiance of the image looks different because he looks like he is being infected by some demons but the actual physical design is what you would imagine... Dante (mixed black/white hair) with suspenders, no jacket not even wife beaters.

I guess that was too gritty for Capcom.

Yo WTF you can link Demon Dodge into Angel Dodge?

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!!!!

(Not really but it's cool as fuck)

Nemesis_

Why are we PMing the link? Is it NSFW or something?

Have you guys looked through the concept art gallery in the game? I've unlocked most of the stuff now, some of it is really interesting.

Nemesis_

It's not NSFW.

Someone should post it T_T

Anyway, when I wake up I might take some snaps of the concept art. There's some really nice pieces there. Whoever did the art for this game seems rather talented, I remember back when I was a hater it was the only thing that appealed to me and it's nice to see the complete "works" now that the game is done (and I'm no longer a hater :p_

Kablooey. 4+ darts and they usually fall to their knees allowing you to pull them down with demon pull. Demon dodge away from their charges as well. Trinity Smash them on the ground.

Pretty simple once you get the techniques down.

I actually just launch them with a fully-charged Eryx uppercut, then Demon Pull, Showdown, Demon Pull, Showdown, Demon Pull, Show...You get the idea.

ezekial45

Banned
Brea: DmC 01 Kinda funny. I've been following the glitches for when I get the pc version(they might get patched). They already have an infinite jump, flight, and the usual speedrunning tricks. It's going to be a fun run to watch, when someone plans a route and takes it seriously. I think I want to speedrun this game.
I'm impressed. It looks like you can glitch out the special Rages by mashing the modifier button?

Dahbomb

I'm impressed. It looks like you can glitch out the special Rages by mashing the modifier button?
It looks like the glitch is activated via the following method:

*Parry Blood Rage when it's doing the Rolling attack
*After a parry get behind it while it's stunned, perform a Drop by cancel it with Enemy Step the moment it makes contact.

The invisible and mid-air Pop is hilarious too.

That is not how things work. SSFIV might have a "lower skill ceiling" compared to BlazBlue:CS or whatever, but yet, the vast, vast majority of players have no way of experiencing, or even feeling that ceiling. It might just as well be made out of air.

Although, as I am typing this, I am realizing that my analogy is bad, as in fighting games, the limits move with the people. In hack'n'slash games, it might not. Or it might, if stuff inspires others. We shall see.

This is nonsense. I have never said I could match the match the likes of brea, chaser, dahbomb, LHK or any DMC vet you can mention.

That does not mean I cannot appreciate what they can do with the game and understand on a techincal level the effort that goes into it.

Using this same train of logic, if the offside rule in soccer/back court violation in basketball was removed, making the game eaiser on both a high level and a lower level, it wouldn't matter because for the vast majority of casual players, it wouldn't change how they play. So they shouldn't complain.

Whether people like it or not:- change the rules of the game, change the game. This doesn't just apply to DmC, it applies to every game in the series. If someone is put off by the game, even if the skill ceiling is at a place they could never hope to reach, it is still a valid opinion.

Whether that is an opinion that should influence game design is another debate entirely.

Dahbomb

Hey don't put me in the same level as Brea and Chaser bro. :S

The only DMC game that I can say for sure I was at one time near the top level was DMC1. With DMC3 I would say I was pretty good when it first came out but after a few months my level of play was obsolete. I could only replicate the stuff seen in a HSID video plus some extra enemy step cancels but definitely not what people are doing now. When DMC4 came out I was way busier IRL to really get down and gritty with the game. While I felt that I got a good grip with Nero I never even came close to gripping Dante (but it wasn't for a lack of trying). I felt that was my execution and skill limit right there. Playing DmC I feel like I can get pretty good at the game with time invested but I really don't have much time to play games these days... I will be happy with getting all SSS ranks + Bloody Palace mode defeated.

Jawmuncher

Can't wait to get my hands on the PC release. Everything sounds great of the port so far. Not to mention locked 60fps on High Settings, delicious.

Mike M

Nick N
I'm far from a high level player, but I can definitely feel the drop in the skill ceiling. I can get at least an S on pretty much any smaller encounter, and easily rack up SSS if there's a bunch of fodder. Ranking S and SS on Nephilum when on any other DMC game I'd be doing maybe B's.

Dahbomb

I'm far from a high level player, but I can definitely feel the drop in the skill ceiling. I can get at least an S on pretty much any smaller encounter, and easily rack up SSS if there's a bunch of fodder. Ranking S and SS on Nephilum when on any other DMC game I'd be doing maybe B's.
Because DmC goes up to SSS rank the actual ranks compared to previous DMC games is something like this:

DmC rank on left, old DMC games on right

SSS = S rank (except for DMC3 where you would get SS rank for getting S rank on every parameter)
SS = A rank
S = B rank

So if you are consistently getting S ranks on missions that's really equivalent to a B in past games.

Getting SSS against enemy encounters is pretty easy and so is maintaining it. They definitely messed that up big time.

Mike M

Nick N
Because DmC goes up to SSS rank the actual ranks compared to previous DMC games is something like this:

DmC rank on left, old DMC games on right

SSS = S rank (except for DMC3 where you would get SS rank for getting S rank on every parameter)
SS = A rank
S = B rank

So if you are consistently getting S ranks on missions that's really equivalent to a B in past games.

Getting SSS against enemy encounters is pretty easy and so is maintaining it. They definitely messed that up big time.

I'm sure if I replayed the levels, SSS rank wouldn't be a problem. Once you have all the collectibles, that's a permanent SSS multiplier, and when you're not spending time hunting those down, the levels are nothing but mad dashes between SSS enemy encounters, so I'm sure my time score would explode.

V_Arnold

This is nonsense. I have never said I could match the match the likes of brea, chaser, dahbomb, LHK or any DMC vet you can mention.

That does not mean I cannot appreciate what they can do with the game and understand on a techincal level the effort that goes into it.

Using this same train of logic, if the offside rule in soccer/back court violation in basketball was removed, making the game eaiser on both a high level and a lower level, it wouldn't matter because for the vast majority of casual players, it wouldn't change how they play. So they shouldn't complain.

Whether people like it or not:- change the rules of the game, change the game. This doesn't just apply to DmC, it applies to every game in the series. If someone is put off by the game, even if the skill ceiling is at a place they could never hope to reach, it is still a valid opinion.

Whether that is an opinion that should influence game design is another debate entirely.

Is this a glass half full/half empty scenario?

You know, when Street Fighter IV appeared, it was the exact same argument by many people.

First of all, to not branch of the initial argument too much, yeah, the skill ceiling being lower will NOT affect the 99% of the player's enjoyment of this gamer ot the value they get out of it. If you feel like you have been ripped off because the Brea videos will be of a lower quality, then think again: those videos will be free to watch, and you will just be there as an observer. It would be great to divide this issue immediately, down to "DmC, the Video Game" and "DmC, the Combo Video Maker".

These are separate entities.
You are indeed free to appreatiate the effort Capcom/NT or Capcom invested into the game to even allow these videos to be born (to put in the x amount of depth). You are free to appreciate the work that the combo video makers have put into maintaining their dexterity, thinking about new ways to combo, and cutting/editing the video.

Of course people will be put off by changes. That is always the case. But I find it amusing the cite the skill ceiling as something that is really the reason for it, because, I shall say that it might be a perception issue worth looking into. For example, for ME, the way high-level DmC using weird glitches and visually nonpleasing cancels is more offputting than if the skill ceiling was actually the floor I stood on. Way more off-putting. Whereas with DMC4 combo videos, the moves are so amazing to watch that I really feel like I am looking at some well-directed crazy anime, only with more budget :p

To give an example of why I even reacted to the skill ceiling argument: I saw that unfolding in StarCraft II, regarding SC vs SCII. It was basically a glorified excuse (amongst others) for a LOT of people to spam shit on every livestream chat, forum, TL thread, etc etc. The VAST majority of those bringing that up (or the lack of LAN, for that matter) did not have the need, the time, or the talent to get anywhere that level where it might affect them. But it is so easy to find justifications when you are put off by something. It is really easy.

V_Arnold

wut at that weird LAN comment. Morhaime and Browder can sing you a nice song about it if you think it was just a made up issue.

It is not weird at all. All the pro players could throw a fit, but they did not. Obviously, THEY are in for the money. And yeah, disconnects happen in an online game. It is fun to write down "Blizzard, wtf" in every single GSL finals thread. But at the end of the day, if someone REALLY, really cant see past that, then it is definitely a perception issue. And 99,99% of the time, the games play through without interruption. Just like when someone bashes D3 for his lack of offline play, and then goes to play Path of Exile instead - online only :p

Dahbomb

I don't know why you keep bringing up SF4 and SC2 into the example. Those are multiplayer games with a different focus than DMC.

When games lose their former depth in order to appeal to a broader market (or for any other reason) people are bound to get upset about it as they fucking should. You can't really use the excuse of "well you aren't going to reach that level of skill so why should it matter to you"... well what if they do watch a high level play and it inspires them to get that good. Certainly that's how it was with DMC3, people were inspired by watching combo videos and they went home to try it themselves. They failed but it kept them going forward and that strive to get better is what makes these types of games endearing. If you see a video of someone playing a low depth game and you try to replicate it finding that you are able to do it in just a few days... you lose interest because you feel you have reached the cap level of the game.

And this is talking about high level. There are various other levels before it where I feel DmC also falters. It's DMD mode is not as hard as other DMC games especially the bosses. Getting the highest rank on all missions is definitely not as hard either. Getting SSS combos is very easy. Performing long aerial combos is also easy. The whole game is simply easier and it's very obvious even at a non high level play.

Supposedly, according to the Vergil comic/graphic novel, we haven't seen Vergils DT yet. If he uses it too much he will become a full demon

Dunno how canon that is though

Hey don't put me in the same level as Brea and Chaser bro. :S

Even if you don't have the manual dexterity, you Understand the game and series at higher level than most.

reading you and gunbo13's DMC3 hyrogliphics and trying to understand was quite funny

Dahbomb

Supposedly, according to the Vergil comic/graphic novel, we haven't seen Vergils DT yet. If he uses it too much he will become a full demon

Most likely saving it for the sequel ala DMC3 style when Dante gets his actual DT. Maybe Vergil gets a DT in the Downfall but probably not.

It is not weird at all. All the pro players could throw a fit, but they did not. Obviously, THEY are in for the money. And yeah, disconnects happen in an online game. It is fun to write down "Blizzard, wtf" in every single GSL finals thread. But at the end of the day, if someone REALLY, really cant see past that, then it is definitely a perception issue. And 99,99% of the time, the games play through without interruption. Just like when someone bashes D3 for his lack of offline play, and then goes to play Path of Exile instead - online only :p

Not to go too much off-topic with this but my yearly AoEII LAN-games with my cousin wouldn't be possible with SCII. The lack of LAN and the consequences for both pro and private games are a completely different matter than lowering the skill ceiling. The lack of LAN was about the removal of basic functions, not the dumbing down of the game. And I'd prefer if you stopped making up scenarios concerning DIII and PoE to try to prove your point.

Carbonox

The more power is used, the more it corrupts and ends up distorting the user - something we've seen many a time in media. Should we see another DmC, could the end game be Ninja Theory's interpretation of Nelo Angelo? Their spin on it could be quite interesting.

Either way, Ninja Theory royally fucked up Devil Trigger in DmC. We need something completely different in the future. Story purpose, gameplay purpose, etc.

Dahbomb

Losing LAN on D3 and SC2 was a terrible fucking decision. Can't be defended really.

SC2 didn't actually lose it's depth. A lot of what made SC1 have depth was the balance and if they get that right in SC2 they will be fine. D3 on the other hand lost a lot of its depth and options going from 2 to 3. These are different points of discussion though so let's just keep the discussion DMC related.

Seeing all the costumes in action:

Classic Dante > Donte >>>>>> Neo Dante = Dark Dante

I really don't think the white hair works with his short haircut and I don't find his standard costume nearly as offensive as others. Still, Cuhrayzee Dante for me.

Dahbomb

DMC3 Dante > Wife Beaters DmC Dante > DmC Dante > White haired DmC Dante > Neo Dante > "Dark" Dante

Wife beaters DmC Dante is not bad at all.

Ein Bear

Speaking of Devil Trigger, I have to say that the current DT is probably the biggest problem I have with this gameplay-wise. It's absolutely rubbish, I don't know why they changed it from the way it used to work in the earlier games.

Devil Trigger in this game is disappointing as hell. I understand they didn't want to give Dante his actual Devil Trigger but this slow-mo, even easier-mode air combat was a shitty substitute.

Would have been much better with a speed boost and adjusted move properties. Essentially, opening up new offensive avenues and allowing you to do shit you otherwise couldn't outside of it. The way it always worked.

Top Bottom