• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
You know... all this going over enemies and bosses and is it fun and how is their design and all that makes me look fondly back towards the original because the Shadow cat demons are still one of my favorite enemy designs in any game. God i miss em... little spikes and all.

Mike M

Nick N
Going nuts trying to find the third key on the bridge level where you meet Phineas at the end. Played through it three times now, still can't find the fucker : (

I keep thinking it's on a broken section of bridge right after one of the cut scenes toward the end of the missions, but it's an impossible jump...

Nemesis_

Going nuts trying to find the third key on the bridge level where you meet Phineas at the end. Played through it three times now, still can't find the fucker : (

I keep thinking it's on a broken section of bridge right after one of the cut scenes toward the end of the missions, but it's an impossible jump...

The one where you meet him at the end? Overturn?

Copper - In the area where you Eryx the container, to your right should be a blue vine wall thing. Use Aguila to chop it down, it should be behind there.

Argent - When you find the first divinity statue, look to the left and grapple across. It's there in plain sight once you get over.

Copper: - After battling the two Rage enemies in the same area as the secret door, grapple up to the next area. Don't go forward, instead, turn around and you'll see it above the secret door. Angel dash over to it.

Mike M

Nick N
The one where you meet him at the end? Overturn?

Copper - In the area where you Eryx the container, to your right should be a blue vine wall thing. Use Aguila to chop it down, it should be behind there.

Think this is the one I'm missing, I'll have to keep an eye out. Is the container you're talking about the one by the secret door with the lost soul next to it?

chrono01

Damn, I'm on Mission 11 right now, and I'm having a great time. Truth be told, I wasn't a "pro" DMC player in the past, so the simplicity to this game [and its combat] doesn't bother me in the least. It's extremely enjoyable using Dante's arsenal to dispatch with the hordes, and I'm finding it at the perfect amount of difficulty for me right now [Nephilim]. I'm sure once I get more used to the controls [air juggling, switching to other weapons mid-combo, etc.] the game will become easier, but then I can always re-play the game on a higher difficulty [and maybe with a new costume?]. >:)

I'm liking this Dante a lot more than I thought I would, too. I heard about the "Fuck You", "No, Fuck You!" scene before the game was releaed, but seeing it in-game wasn't nearly as cringe-worthy as I imagined. I guess context is everything?

I'm looking forward to sinking in a lot more time with this one tomorrow!

Nemesis_

Good strategies for blue enemies? The blue weapons just don't have much damage output and they are just a huge pain to deal with.

At the moment I'm just Demon Dodging, Round Tripping and then Tornadoiing.

Nothing else seems powerful enough (or safe enough tbh)

EDIT: WOW, someone pointed this out. Anyone else changed their tune, like I did?

Monocle

Onimusha 1 is like a better version of DMC 1. Yeah, I went there.

Better version of RE and Dino Crisis too! Though the amount of button mashing to crank that wheel was ridiculous.
My favorite thing about it is the archaic tank controls.

WHO NEEDS MOVEMENT ANYWAY LOL

DatDude

Banned
could someone rank Dmc, compared to the previous 4 games?

Like if you had to make a ranking of 1 (being the best in the series), and 5 (being the worst) where would you rate it compared to the rest of the games...not just from solely on gameplay perspective, but rather the entire package. So narrative, voice acting, writing, the overall presentation, production values, gameplay, the pacing, general entertainment value, etc.

dan2026

DMC1 8/10 (Great game but a little dated, good horror/ hilariously bad voice acting)
DMC2 2/10 (No, just no)
DMC3 9/10 (Best all round game)
DMC4 7/10 (Great combat, ruined by mass repetition and boring environments)

DmC 8/10 (30fps is a knock, but otherwise great combat and environments/no repetition)

Like if you had to make a ranking of 1 (being the best in the series), and 5 (being the worst) where would you rate it compared to the rest of the games...not just from solely on gameplay perspective, but rather the entire package. So narrative, voice acting, writing, the overall presentation, production values, gameplay, the pacing, general entertainment value, etc.

In my personal opinon:

1. Devil May Cry. A classic, and I vastly prefer its gothic horror presentation. It also blew my MIND when I first played it in 2001, so it's special.

2. Devil May Cry 3. Perfected action, and I do love goofy crazy Dante, but the presentation isn't as endearing to me as 1's.

3. DmC. 30fps aside (which won't be an issue on PC) I think it's a great entry in the series. I dig the new direction for Dante (less so Vergil and his Ed Hardy jacket and fedora), but Dante is far less of a sacred cow to me than a lot of fans. Color coded enemies are annoying and I could do without the easy boss fights but otherwise it's a blast.

4. Devil May Cry 4. I understand that the combat is perfectly tuned but the presentation/level design/repetition kill it for me. Worth it for the hilarious Dante cutscenes but that's pretty much it for me, since I have no desire to make combo videos.

5. Devil May Cry 2. fart

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I just finished the game on Nephilim, and IMO...

DMC1: 9/10
DMC2: Never happened
DMC3: 9/10
DMC4: 7/10
DmC: 8/10

It's definitely better than DMC2 and 4, but it's not up there with DMC1 or 3 in terms of combat and story.

Nemesis_

I feel like DMC4 is easily one of the most technical games in the franchise, the more I thiknk about it. But of course, with technicality, it becomes must less accessible / inviting.

I want to return to DMC4 after I'm completely done by DmC, but I feel like the learning curve is going to be WAYYYYY high.

DihcarEM

Dmc1 9/10, still holds up today. The original and a classic.
Dmc2 5/10, despite the well deserved hate it still introduced plenty of new things that remained with the franchise.
Dmc3 9/10, the game that saved the franchise, gameplay was top notch and it had a good story for the fans.
Dmc4 8/10, first HD Dmc, gameplay was rock solid and they were able to introduce a new character that played completely different from Dante. Which is mainly why the backtracking didn't bother me as much. Excellent presentation and graphics(that outside of art the new game wasn't able to beat a 5year old game).
Story was also very fun and cool, capcom used the exact same way they did the story in DMC1 except there it got a free pass, in Dmc4 it didn't. For a very long time we knew very little about Vergil from Dmc1, it wasn't until Dmc3 that we got his backstory. Same thing was happening here, we got very little about Nero, this was to simply be his introduction game.

For me what makes Dmc3 and 4 stand out more was watching the master of this genre Kamiya use a lot of things from those 2 games in Bayonetta.

DmC 7/10, decent graphics, pretty short game, very little to unlock. Story is neither good nor that bad, simply dull and boring. Cool action was what made the previous ones fun to rewatch, this is now completely gone.
Gameplay is good but it doesn't come close to touching the previous ones except 2.
Harder difficulties are extremely disappointing, DMD was never boring to play(except 2).
Platforming is neither fun or challenging after a few runs.

For me it still holds that this reboot was never needed and it still makes very little sense. Capcom made it clear in the beginning that their number 1 goal was always to sell more copies. How going to a weak western developer in terms of sales(i also think they are weak in every other category but sales was the one they were looking for) was supposed to change that beats me.
This generation it really seems like Capcom is going through an identity crisis.
I wouldn't mind if Capcom gave DmC fully over to NT to make a sequel, while they make Dmc5 in house. But realistically this has no chance of happening, especially with the huge losses Capcom has made this generation with their terrible ideas. Greed is never a good creed for a company.

I look to get my gameplay fix with MGR next month and my graphics fix with GOW:A in March.

V_Arnold

I feel that those that became REALLY, really good in DMC4 would have destroyed any "real" DMC followups similiarly. One cant simply become a beast in a game like this and not cut through any obstacles. The developers are human beings, not Gods.

(That said, I fucking have "trouble" with even Sons of Sparda, lol. Yeah, if I have only used Aquila for crowd control, kablooey for damage while they are in mid-attack animations, demon dodge+arbiter 24/7, I would have no problems. But what the fuck happened to that stylish play? I would rather try to use more moves and fail than to repeat 3 steps until all mobs are dead...)

pakkit

Banned
As a newbie to the franchise, I'm enjoying DmC. I think I still prefer Enslaved as far as Ninja Theory is concerned. Enslaved had an original cast, and an interesting take on a classic tale wrapped in old school gameplay. DmC seems like someone else's baby seen through Ninja Theory's lenses. There is plenty of symbolism throughout the campaign's lengthy and frequent cutscenes, but they don't seem especially cumulative. The central characters of Dante, Vergil and Kat all kind of fall flat, as well as the allegory used for demons
Mundus is a Wall Street Banker. His lady is a plastic surgery fiend, and Bob is Bill O'Reilly. All protecting the status quo in the face of anarchy, punk, and too cool for school Dante.
There was no real logic behind Limbo, other than giving Ninja Theory's art directors free reign. It was slightly annoying, but a few of the levels absolutely floored me. I was sea-sick from one level, where the disorienting perspective and far-off draw distances forced me to stop playing. FINAL MISSION TALK:
The final twist was poor. Vergil and Dante's friendship never seemed especially strong, so their turning on one another both lacked impact and failed to make much sense. Didn't Vergil initially protect Kat?
Ninja Theory failed to walk the tight rope between tight-knit drama and balls-to-the-wall action. I prefer goofy DmC since those narrative threads had the best level design.

Gameplay-wise, I thought the game did a good job slowly introducing more and more elements, so that when I started I felt pretty clumsy but by the end I felt like Dante the invinsible. In some instances, the game reminded me of Azura's Wrath, where minimal input resulted in awesome shit happening on-screen. The cleverly implemented platforming sections, essentially QTE's in disguise, spring to mind.

I'm definitely going to go back and see if I can't bring up some killer scores. I get too impatient to rack up combos and keep unscathed, so higher difficulties will undoubtedly punish me. Also, the last boss took me 30 minutes because it wasn't adequately communicated how to finish it off.

haikira

Completed the game the other day. I had a blast and genuinely think this could have a stab at my top 10, at the end of the year. Albeit, probably low down, if this year is as good as i hope.

+ I actually quite dug the story. Something of sore spot, even for people who're fans of this game. I wouldn't say it was anything particularly special. But after hearing such negativity about it and it's ending, i was pleasantly surprised. There was a good drive to the game and the next goal was always clear.
+ The art style was genuinely impressive and inspired at times and there was a great deal of variety.
+ It may not be up to the standards, of the elite action games. But i find the combat to be very satisfying in DMC.
+ I like the original Dante, but i also really like this new take on Dante. I'd never rank one over the other, as i think they just fit the tone of their games.

- While there were one or two I liked, overall the bosses were just OK.
- While very rare. I had one or two glitches, that were quite annoying. Once, a boss just broke for me.
- Despite overall liking the story, i will admit (End spoiler)
Vergil turning at the end, felt a bit forced.

So yeah. Just my opinion, but i loved it. I'll definitely be nabbing the Vergil Expansion pack and i'll be eager to see how DmC2 ends up.

haikira

Just finished the demo, is it a fair representation of the full game?

Yes and no.

In my opinion. The first level in the demo, is a good representation. But i'd recommend burning through that level more than once, to get a feel for the combat.

The second level in the demo, the boss fight, is my least favorite chapter in the full game by quite a bit. It's actually what originally really put me off the game, when i played the demo. I don't like the intro cutscene for it and i don't like the boss fight. I don't think they're a good representation.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I had a hilarious glitch where Dante's ass was stuck in the ground and his limbs were above ground sticking up and wiggling around. I had to revert to checkpoint, but it looked so funny.

Anteater

Just finished the game, last boss probably is the most decent boss of the game even though he's kind of easy, it was kind of funny how
you keep knocking him away and he turns his back and like "NOPE I'M OK YOU'RE SO DEAD DANTE" every few combos, making him a weakass in the story didn't help my perception of him, what an anti-climatic fight, lol. Man what did they do to you Vergil, maybe you'll come back as a badass next game I guess. Mundus is also shit as a boss, but I rather like his character.

jrush64

Banned
I'm on Mission 15 and I absolutely love this game. I really like this Dante... in fact I think I like him better than the other Dante.

The mission
where the SWAT guys capture Kat, I like how he was with her

I'm on mission 16 now and I can't wait to complete it. I'm probably going to keep it when I'm done.

Ken

As a newbie to the franchise, I'm enjoying DmC. I think I still prefer Enslaved as far as Ninja Theory is concerned. Enslaved had an original cast, and an interesting take on a classic tale wrapped in old school gameplay. DmC seems like someone else's baby seen through Ninja Theory's lenses. There is plenty of symbolism throughout the campaign's lengthy and frequent cutscenes, but they don't seem especially cumulative. The central characters of Dante, Vergil and Kat all kind of fall flat, as well as the allegory used for demons
Mundus is a Wall Street Banker. His lady is a plastic surgery fiend, and Bob is Bill O'Reilly. All protecting the status quo in the face of anarchy, punk, and too cool for school Dante.
There was no real logic behind Limbo, other than giving Ninja Theory's art directors free reign. It was slightly annoying, but a few of the levels absolutely floored me. I was sea-sick from one level, where the disorienting perspective and far-off draw distances forced me to stop playing. FINAL MISSION TALK:
The final twist was poor. Vergil and Dante's friendship never seemed especially strong, so their turning on one another both lacked impact and failed to make much sense. Didn't Vergil initially protect Kat?
Ninja Theory failed to walk the tight rope between tight-knit drama and balls-to-the-wall action. I prefer goofy DmC since those narrative threads had the best level design.

Gameplay-wise, I thought the game did a good job slowly introducing more and more elements, so that when I started I felt pretty clumsy but by the end I felt like Dante the invinsible. In some instances, the game reminded me of Azura's Wrath, where minimal input resulted in awesome shit happening on-screen. The cleverly implemented platforming sections, essentially QTE's in disguise, spring to mind.

I'm definitely going to go back and see if I can't bring up some killer scores. I get too impatient to rack up combos and keep unscathed, so higher difficulties will undoubtedly punish me. Also, the last boss took me 30 minutes because it wasn't adequately communicated how to finish it off.

I think
the betrayal was more impactful because they're brothers, not because they're friends.

Vee_One

Like everyone I was sceptical when this was first unveiled.
My fears were unfounded - this game is amazing and worthy of the Devil May Cry name. Loving it so far. Have it on PS3 and have already double dipped for PC

Risette

A Good Citizen
DmC: Dudes May Complain (Gametrailers, 39:36)

Mike Damiani goes in hard on people taking hardcore players' skill videos as blind faith, and that the skill ceiling is only lower for those small handful of hardcore DmC players.
What.

A lower skill ceiling is a lower skill ceiling. For everybody. It's not necessarily a good or bad thing (it depends on if it's done right, and it seems it was here), but to say the bolded is nonsense is putting is lightly

V_Arnold

What.

A lower skill ceiling is a lower skill ceiling. For everybody
. It's not necessarily a good or bad thing (it depends on if it's done right, and it seems it was here), but to say the bolded is nonsense is putting is lightly.

That is not how things work. SSFIV might have a "lower skill ceiling" compared to BlazBlue:CS or whatever, but yet, the vast, vast majority of players have no way of experiencing, or even feeling that ceiling. It might just as well be made out of air.

Although, as I am typing this, I am realizing that my analogy is bad, as in fighting games, the limits move with the people. In hack'n'slash games, it might not. Or it might, if stuff inspires others. We shall see.

What.

A lower skill ceiling is a lower skill ceiling. For everybody. It's not necessarily a good or bad thing (it depends on if it's done right, and it seems it was here), but to say the bolded is nonsense is putting is lightly

If everybody notices the lower skill ceiling, this would be a valid argument.

Nome

What.

So you're saying that low-skill players can now do everything high-skill players can do?

Risette

A Good Citizen
That is not how things work. SSFIV might have a "lower skill ceiling" compared to BlazBlue:CS or whatever, but yet, the vast, vast majority of players have no way of experiencing, or even feeling that ceiling. It might just as well be made out of air.

Although, as I am typing this, I am realizing that my analogy is bad, as in fighting games, the limits move with the people. In hack'n'slash games, it might not. Or it might, if stuff inspires others. We shall see.
It's still there though. A really short person may not ever be able to reach the ceiling in their house but it's still there, providing them shelter.
If everybody notices the lower skill ceiling, this would be a valid argument.
It doesn't matter if they notice or not, what matters is what it is.

Ein Bear

I feel like DMC4 is easily one of the most technical games in the franchise, the more I thiknk about it. But of course, with technicality, it becomes must less accessible / inviting.

I want to return to DMC4 after I'm completely done by DmC, but I feel like the learning curve is going to be WAYYYYY high.

DMC4 has the greatest combat engine ever built for a game IMO, it's the absolute pinnacle of the genre. It's just that the level design and boss fights are a bit bleh, which drag the game as a whole down.

It's still there though. A really short person may not ever be able to reach the ceiling in their house but it's still there, providing them shelter.

It doesn't matter if they notice or not, what matters is what it is.

Maybe you're being ironic but that is the worst analogy.

To the people that will never reach the skill ceiling, it shouldn't matter.

DmC: Dudes May Complain (Gametrailers, 39:36)

Mike Damiani goes in hard on people taking hardcore players' skill videos as blind faith, and that the skill ceiling is only lower for those small handful of hardcore DmC players.

He speaks the truth. Although, the skill ceiling is noticeably lower. Just watch that video, whoever it is kills 2 goons and they're already sitting on an A. I mean come, yo. Aside from the self satisfaction from performing incredibly swag shit, people in the middle aren't gonna look on their play and think, "Damn, how am I gonna get myself to SSS level?" They're already there with very little time investment.

I don't know about every one else, but the old style ranking was pivotal in my assessing of the progress I'd made. Without it, I don't think I would have put the work in. It's not like I was making combo videos.

jett

D-Member
What.

It makes complete sense what he said. Vast majority of the complainers, VAST majority will never even remotely approach said ceiling.

Nemesis_

DMC4 has the greatest combat engine ever built for a game IMO, it's the absolute pinnacle of the genre. It's just that the level design and boss fights are a bit bleh, which drag the game as a whole down.

I agree with you for the most part, but I do feel like Bayonetta's dodge system is bounds beyond DMC4.

But for some reason I always felt like the combat of DMC4 felt much meatier, if that makes sense.

Pizzaroll is just pointing out that the skill ceiling is not subjective but the same for everybody. For most players the "skill curve" is much more important anyway. Personally I loved it in DMC4, let's see how I feel about DmC.

Carbonox

I completed Hell and Hell yesterday via Super Dante. Super Dante is hilarious. Activate Devil Trigger and it just stays on so when you go to areas when enemies appear, they instantly spawn in to the air and hang there forever.

Anyway, 800 more kills for the 5000 kill trophy and I'll have the Platinum.

Anteater

Son of sparda is kind of fun, kind of forces me to stay in air a lot more unless I want to abuse the demon dodge thingy and the axe, but things takes a while to kill without those, hmm. Well one thing I do know is holding and pressing all these trigger buttons is making my hands sweaty, whycan'tiholdallthesebuttons.jpg

I completed Hell and Hell yesterday via Super Dante. Super Dante is hilarious. Activate Devil Trigger and it just stays on so when you go to areas when enemies appear, they instantly spawn in to the air and hang there forever.

wtf :lol

Risette

A Good Citizen
Maybe you're being ironic but that is the worst analogy.

To the people that will never reach the skill ceiling, it shouldn't matter.
It doesn't matter if it should or shouldn't.
It makes complete sense what he said. Vast majority of the complainers, VAST majority will never even remotely approach said ceiling.
No it doesn't. The ceiling is still lower. Just because this "vast majority" does not notice/approach/care about it -- doesn't mean a thing other than that.

What would make sense is to say that most people would not reach that skill ceiling. What does not make sense is morphing that into whatever weird shit is there.

Nome

Pizzaroll is just pointing out that the skill ceiling is not subjective but the same for everybody. For most players the "skill curve" is much more important anyway. Personally I loved it in DMC4, let's see how I feel about DmC.
That's exactly why it's stupid to say that. There is only ONE skill ceiling. The fact that most players never reached it before, and that most players still don't reach it, has zero impact on those players. They do experience a lowered skill floor/curve.

The skill ceiling is the same for everybody but many people will never be affected by it unless they look at youtubes of those that are. Explain it like I'm 5 because I don't understand why this is up for debate.

Most kids' activities have a low skill ceiling and that's basically all that separates them as kids games over adult games like, say, chess.

Risette

A Good Citizen
That's exactly why it's stupid to say that. There is only ONE skill ceiling. The fact that most players never reached it before, and that most players still don't reach it, has zero impact on those players. They do experience a lowered skill floor/curve.
the skill ceiling is only lower for those small handful of hardcore DmC players.
Nothing about impact.

Top Bottom