• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think that games today are made for gamers?

I personally do not need a cinematic presentation, it's a nice thing but I want to simply play a game. I don't know about all the social situations in the world happening now, I simply want to play the artistic vision, of an artist, how the artist meant for it to originally look, and play.

How do you feel about this?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
No, they're made for....I ain't got fucking clue.
All I know is the Devs say it's not for us and not to buy their game and then blames us for it failing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
But that's not everyone, some are still making real games that are there to be enjoyed.
Others use them as a platform.

Last edited:

RPCGamer

What started out as a hobby for bedroom coders has become a massive industry. Since around the 90s we've seen teams get bigger and bigger to where we are now. Hundreds of different people working on a single project and all trying to make something great for people to enjoy. I do not blame a single one of them for what is happening to gaming, but I personally find the best games were from smaller teams that understood the design documents, the direction and the ideas. I feel like the absolute maximum number of people you can get that with was reached during the 360/PS3 gen.

Last edited:
I don't know about all the social situations in the world happening now, I simply want to play the artistic vision, of an artist, how the artist meant for it to originally look, and play.
You said the keyword yourself: social. Spend less time online on social media (including this website and youtube) and spend more time searching for gems to play (whether AAA, AA, or indie) and actually playing video games instead of just talking about them nonstop like some here.

I guarantee you'll be much better off doing so.

Edit: Just keep in mind, there are 100+ games released per year. Even if you decided to just play older games, you'd take years and years to finish them all. At that point, playing nothing at all and complaining about it is of your own doing.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

More games of all types today are made than ever before. Games are made for people who play games, i.e. "gamers". So yes, modern games are made for gamers.

Now are all games directed at you personally as their target audience? No, and they never should be.

RPCGamer

What started out as a hobby for bedroom coders has become a massive industry. Since around the 90s we've seen teams get bigger and bigger to where we are now. Hundreds of different people working on a single project and all trying to make something great for people to enjoy. I do not blame a single one of them for what is happening to gaming, but I personally find the best games were from smaller teams that understood the design documents, the direction and the ideas. I feel like the absolute maximum number of people you can get that with was reached during the 360/PS3 gen.
To add to this, I don't think it's helped at all how game developers are treated. This isn't a new thing. They were and are worked to the point of exhaustion and then quit. I know during the 360 era, the average developer stayed in the industry roughly five years. That's a lot of talent consistently leaving.

Games have gotten so big now, large chunks of it are farmed out to different studios for different parts (art, animation etc). Which goes back to my original point of modern games in triple A feeling very disjointed.

Last edited:

Moses85

Mainly for idiots.

Remakes or remasters of games that were only released in the last generation are purchased

Unfinished / unoptimized games are bought that have to be patched for a year until they run somewhat decently.

Skifi28

AI making games for AI to play.

jKfKROK.png

jburdick7

Neo Member
Nope. Since I turned 30 in 2020 I’ve increasingly felt like games aren’t made for me anymore (at least not AAA games).

It started with TLoU Part 2 but GoW Ragnarok was the real tipping point, I was incredibly hyped for that after loving GoW 2018 and it just left a sour taste in my mouth. The Marvel-ified story just made me not care about anything on screen and highlighted how repetitive the gameplay was. Horizon: FW kinda solidified that and became the first game in years I sold without even bothering to finish (as an adult it took me a lot to want to sell any of the games I bought, I almost never traded anything in).

I eventually found myself spending more time playing indies on my Steam Deck than my fancy PS5 so I ended up selling all my PS gear to go full PC (+ Nintendo) and haven’t looked back since.

I do think you still have some games coming out targeting gamers (e.g. Soulsborne, Black Myth Wukong, etc.) but the majority of games from the west have lost their identity by trying to appeal to everyone (there’s also a little disdain for gamers sprinkled in there but it’s not as prevalent as other issues).

I’ll just keep playing old games I missed out on, indies, & new releases that get rave reviews from people I trust until this market shift we’re in the middle of finishes.

Jaybe

Nope. Since I turned 30 in 2020 I’ve increasingly felt like games aren’t made for me anymore (at least not AAA games).

It started with TLoU Part 2 but GoW Ragnarok was the real tipping point, I was incredibly hyped for that after loving GoW 2018 and it just left a sour taste in my mouth. The Marvel-ified story just made me not care about anything on screen and highlighted how repetitive the gameplay was. Horizon: FW kinda solidified that and became the first game in years I sold without even bothering to finish (as an adult it took me a lot to want to sell any of the games I bought, I almost never traded anything in).

I eventually found myself spending more time playing indies on my Steam Deck than my fancy PS5 so I ended up selling all my PS gear to go full PC (+ Nintendo) and haven’t looked back since.

I do think you still have some games coming out targeting gamers (e.g. Soulsborne, Black Myth Wukong, etc.) but the majority of games from the west have lost their identity by trying to appeal to everyone (there’s also a little disdain for gamers sprinkled in there but it’s not as prevalent as other issues).

I’ll just keep playing old games I missed out on, indies, & new releases that get rave reviews from people I trust until this market shift we’re in the middle of finishes.

Same here. There’s a segment of TLOU2 that’s is 25 minutes in total between one encounter combat and the next. In between are cutscenes, exploring an area, slow walk and talks, and a flashback. GOW:R, like are we going to row this boat again? I had to play GOW3 again as a chaser. Been playing Balatro and Hades on my newly bought Steam Deck bought with proceeds from selling my PS5. Eyeing Vampire Survivors or Halls of Torment for my next purchase.

Wildebeest

I think it is complicated. A lot of problems with modern games is that they do have a very strong and clear design "vision" behind them. In older games there was more just people working with something until it felt good, then wrapping the vision around what worked. Now you have a vision that leads to a lot of complicated, duplicate, or often just shit, systems that are all justified because they support the vision. If something is fun for the player but doesn't support the vision, it isn't included.

Last edited:

EN250

The problem is the people making games want to reflect themselves in them, like the "trans" director of the next Dragon Age game

People want to play as characters doing amazing things, sexual orientation should be a foot note in a character bio, not be pushed front and center as the most important thing while adding meaningless stuff for performative progressivist points

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I dont know about other "gamers" but most the games I enjoyed this gen and even this year are made fro someone like me and I couldn't be happier.

When it comes western games, I have no fucking idea, this year I bought zero western games and I dont see that changing next year.

I personally want games to be more than simply perfunctory experiences. Like, after finishing a Mario game, I'll be like, "wow that was fun" and then forget about it the next day. Whereas I'd beat The Last Of Us and it will leave me in a state of reflective thought for weeks. I know not everyone likes cinematic games, but for people who are empaths, they might appreciate them more bc they enjoy deep and profound experiences with emotional depth. For kids or child-like adults, they might not like that bc they prefer games that provide instant gratification. People like that strike me as having that "I want it now! now! now!" attitude.

Last edited:

ZehDon

I personally do not need a cinematic presentation, it's a nice thing but I want to simply play a game. I don't know about all the social situations in the world happening now, I simply want to play the artistic vision, of an artist, how the artist meant for it to originally look, and play.

How do you feel about this?
What if the artist wanted to make commentary on social situations in the world?

For me, "gamers" is too broad a term. My wife plays a lot of mobile games, like Candy Crush, because she absolutely loves them. I'd say she's a gamer. I like playing logistic management games, like Factorio and Space Engineers. I'd say I'm a gamer. How can a game realistically target both of us? I think a better way to phrase the question might be: who is the target audience for AAA games that are financial failures?

Laptop1991

No, or not what the fans of various franchises want anyway, like Bethesda knows full well and 100 percent, the majority of the fanbase want TES 6 and Fallout 5, but they want the online money of Fallout 76 instead, and Ubisoft knew fans of AC wanted a Japanese samurai game with a native playing the part, but changed it so the answer in my opinion is no, the games arn't made for gamers anymore, but shareholders or ideology or anything but what the actual gaming fanbases wants.

Last edited:

Crayon

Sounds like you should try games without cinematic presentations.

As to why mass market aaa games are not made for you personally, we may never know.

Saturn Dragon

Neo Member
Industry is still fairly new, and it's changing constantly. So gamers will follow and accept those changes, innovations or trends or... not...

I think that after the PS2 gen, which was probably the last gen where japanese developers were at its ultimate top peak both in quality and performance; and was the generation that saw the arcades die; while still a lot of japanese productions (way before PS2 gen) had cinematics or some sort of movie-like inspiration... The focus was always gameplay, in one way or another.

But with Ps3-360 gen and western developers taking the lead, cinematics and storylines became a lot more relevant. The chase for the blockbuster movie-inspired-feel like game, or storylines trying to mimick popular tv shows, became a norm.

It's a different approach from the japanese style, and sometimes works even better, but some other times it just doesn't feel like a videogame.

Anyways, there's a lot of variety now. I understand that many (me included) can feel overwhelmed by bloated open worlds with a pointless pretentious storyline that goes nowhere, or just can't get into the supposedly complex storyline of some triple A single player by Sony studios because if it still feels like a forced and failed effort of trying to mimick a tv-show or movie, while in between throwing you some gameplay or slow walking sections.

But they are just a part of what the industry offers now.

Let's say there's more than just gamers now and all the trending new and upcoming genres have their place.

It's not like in the 90s that we all nerds like me just played countless japanese platformers, arcade fighters from Capcom or SNK and from time to time tried out some long ass jpanese rpg on Ps1 or Saturn.

Top Bottom