• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think turn-based stealth will become a bigger subgenre?

Turn-based games are huge nowadays, and stealth games are still hanging out in the shadows, from bigger titles like Hitman and the next Styx to indie games like Shadwen and Deadbolt.

The subgenre of turn-based stealth has a lot of potential, and when it's done right, it can be so good. The turn-based nature lets you careful plan your approach and consider every option, making you feel like a master infiltrator, while still keeping the core tenets of the genre like hiding, evasion, and distractions

As far as I know there are only three turn-based stealth games, and one of those is still in development and the other is more turn-based platforming/predator stealth

There's of course indisputable king of the entire subgenre, Klei's Invisible Inc.
g3TjrdC.jpg

Cyberpunk infiltration with high-tech augmentations equals some finely-turned edge-of-your seat sneaking. Invisible Inc took Mark of the Ninja's approach of giving you all the knowledge and information you need - visual cones, footsteps, visible vs hidden areas, etc. - and letting you plan your methodical turn-by-turn stealth, coordinating multiple agents and skills against the ever-ticking clock of each building's security system. Tense tactical stealth at its finest

Then you have Ronin
KqyWO0x.jpg

As a katana-wielding, grapple hooking arbiter of vengeance, Ronin takes the more action stealth/Predator approach. Stealth is a means to even the odds and get into an advantageous position before wiping out a room, letting you drop from the ceiling or gut enemies with your blade from below.

And finally, the in-development Copper Dreams, which is currently in its last days on Kickstarter.
WhhLEfc.jpg

Controlling an agent in a gritty cyberpunk crime-ridden colony, Copper Dreams combines sci-fi cRPG with a heavy dose of stealth. featuring vision cones, noise, shadows, crouching and cover, distractions and hiding bodies, hiding spots, last known position, alert levels, taking out lights and cameras, disabling/hacking security systems, and augmentations like cloaking rigs

Tecnniqe

Banned
While some look artistically cool, I personally have no interest in turn based sneaky games.

So no, I don't think it will become big anytime soon.

wamberz1

I really hope so. Invisible inc was great. Still have to play ronin. I think we'll probably see a few more indie titles in the future at the very least.

Revilokio

Neo Member
For me all this turn-based stealth games are extremely boring
Not sure it will ever become a bigger subgener

Hopefully, I usually enjoy the time I have with them. Plus if there's something similar to this out there (I don't even need the cards) then sign me up.

ulus-10006-game-ss-4

Metal Gear Acids

I love Invisible Inc--such a mechanically well-designed game--and would like to see the genre to expand. And yet even as the king of the genre it's gotten such limited exposure and recognition. But while tactics games and stealth games are both niche genres, in theory a hybrid has the potential to draw attention from fans of either (or both, in my case).

Hell, I wish the Xcom 2 stealth had been expanded so it isn't just over once the Concealment is broken. Though I guess I understand why they did it, they are foremost a combat focused game I guess.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I foresee turn-based stealth being merged into turn-based isometric RPGs, just as 3d stealth was mostly absorbed into immersive sims and action games.

If Shadowrun games keep being made, those would be great candidates for incorporating invisible inc. style systems.

Top Bottom