• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Strange |OT| By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJRB

Gold Member
2 scenes. One is immediately after the flashy credits a few minutes in, the other was at the very end.

Are you fucking serious? I left after the first. Why the hell would they do two?

What is it?

[We even tried googling how many after-credit scenes there were but no one had signal]

Laieon

Are you fucking serious? I left after the first. Why the hell would they do two?

What is it?

[We even tried googling how many after-credit scenes there were but no one had signal]

Guy who says he's leaving the lifestyle at the end of the movie finds guy-who-used-to-be-paralyzed and makes him paralyzed again. Says there's only room in the world for 1 sorcerer.

Dunno if you missed it; but very early in the movie, the NYC shot had the
avengers tower
in it - it was right in the middle of the shot too, so they referenced it more than once as you wrote in the review. (And then of course, benedict wong brought it up). And of course,
thor's
credit cameo appearance

Ah, the first one didn't register but my "passing mention" mention in the story was referencing the second part. And I also mentioned the last one i.e. "mid-credits sequence." Still, quite light on Avengers tie-ins compared to every other Marvel movie, for the most part.

There is also
a mention of Rhodey's injury from Civil War right before Strange crashes his car.

Santiako

One thing I thought the movie conveyed very poorly was the sense of time, I have no idea how much time passes from his accident to burning all his savings to travelling to Nepal to training to shit going down.

One thing I thought the movie conveyed very poorly was the sense of time, I have no idea how much time passes from his accident to burning all his savings to travelling to Nepal to training to shit going down.

didn't have too much of an issue with it. I think its quite clear a lot of time passed.
He recovered from injury, he went for more hand operations. He was running out of money. He went to therapy. He went to find Benjamin Bretner and then he went to Nepal..

Btw. The
armor suit trap
sequence was soooo good.

Loved the
mirror world escape sequence, time reversal sequence in hongkong and the UK house fight
it was all visually quite arresting and fun.

the only bit in the movie that fell flat for most people in my cinema was the
this house needs a master. Master Strange. I'm bu bu bu a doctor doctor strange
bit of dialogue. That was just a bad joke/writing.

duckroll

didn't have too much of an issue with it. I think its quite clear a lot of time passed.

How much time though? Before the accident he looks at his shelf while picking out a watch and there's an award dated 2016. Does the movie take place over months or years? Months isn't a very long time at all considering all that happens in the film. Years would place it out of the timeline that has to match Thor Ragnarok coming out next year.

I ended up disliking the movie quite a bit, which is not what I expected.

It just felt like the movie had no depth at all. There wasn't a lot of character development, the villain had no motivation (a Marvel staple, I know) and it felt like things just... happened. There really wasn't a good sense of time and progression, once it hit the second act.

I also expected the movie to be a lot more creative with its use of magic, but it basically came down to portals, shifting buildings, flying and magic ropes. I guess you have to start low, since it's part of the MCU, but I was expecting to see a lot more crazy dimension stuff.

The humor also fell credibility flat for me, Strange name scene aside. A bit surprising, because it's usually not an issue with Marvel movies for me. But perhaps it's because Strange himself was quite a prick, without ever developing past that. And when he attempted to do so, I didn't quite buy it. He wasn't charming enough to let his dickishness slide, like Tony Stark does. Being a charming prick and a prick with charme isn't the same thing.

I'll give the movie props for not blowing up an entire country, planet or dimension in the third act and final confrontation. It's something I'm incredibly tired of in superhero movies, so it was nice to have it a little more scaled back. It was actually one of the few moments where I felt they used magic creatively during a fight. It helps that it was visually really well done.

Overall, I feel like I wasted money seeing this in the theater. Renting it would've been enough.

the only bit in the movie that fell flat for most people in my cinema was the
this house needs a master. Master Strange. I'm bu bu bu a doctor doctor strange
bit of dialogue. That was just a bad joke/writing.

I don't think that's supposed to be a joke.
he just killed someone, even in self defense. he's panicked and want nothing to do with magic. that's why he keep saying that he's a doctor.

How much time though? Before the accident he looks at his shelf while picking out a watch and there's an award dated 2016. Does the movie take place over months or years? Months isn't a very long time at all considering all that happens in the film. Years would place it out of the timeline that has to match Thor Ragnarok coming out next year.

the training takes roughly about 1 year. apparently Feige said that in an interview somewhere.

number11

What is it?

There's been 2 credit scenes for pretty much every Marvel film since the first Avengers (IM3 and Ultron with 1).

I'm still surprised at the amount of people who don't even stay for the mid credits scene. If your that interested in the film to go on opening day, surely you know by now that there's always an extra scene.

kurahador

Wow they really went overboard with effects. Freaking love it though. Not quite sure what to make of Strange's characterization. Might be due to all the humor by him which doesn't delivered well by Cumberbatch. And the scene where he's trying to make himself to be called "Doctor Strange" is corny as hell, urghh.

Tilda Swinson is great.
I love the scene from her death where she was talking about the snow and then just gone
. Great stuff.

That first post credit scene is amazing. I'm more excited to see
Doctor Strange interact with everyone in the MCU now after seeing that

Vic_Viper

Awesome movie. By far my favorite Marvel origin film so far. Really liked the special effects in this film also, hope it gets a nomination for best SE.

Can't wait to see if they bring him in for the Avengers films.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Awesome movie. By far my favorite Marvel origin film so far. Really liked the special effects in this film also, hope it gets a nomination for best SE.

Can't wait to see if they bring him in for the Avengers films.

Isn't he already confirmed for Infinity War?

BlizzKrut

Banned
Just came back from watching it and I loved it, great film, loved the cast, and those visuals, man, they were something else, I want more of the Strange universe, it's superb.

The fight where they're going back in time is one of my highlights, what a scene!

Certinty

Liked it the first time, loved it the second time.

Might be because I subconsciously went into it the first time expecting a movie which feels like most Marvel ones. Once I knew what to expect I could appreciate it more for what it was.

But yeah, great movie. Definitely top 5 MCU movies for me.

Imo , only 2 movies use the 3D effect well , Avatar & dr strange

One of the best uses of 3d , it doesn't feel like 3D and the visuals in 3D are greatly enhanced by the effect. It's fantastic.
I haven't seen a 3D movie in years. What are the glasses like now? Can you wear them over regular glasses?

Miyahon

So was this filmed using IMAX cameras? Heard that there is around an hour of IMAX footage but not sure if that's true.

Bulzeeb

I just saw the movie, it was good but like most Marvel movies the villain wasnt that memorable and the story was formulaic/safe. On the plus side, it had awesome effects and I enjoyed it the whole time

Shaanyboi

Banned

What is it?

They've mostly done two since the first Avengers.

JTripper

To give the villain some credit, at least when he appeared on screen you knew you were probably about to see a cool-ass action scene.

That final showdown was great too.
Strange just goes "fuck this shit", flies off into the dark dimension and forces Dormammu to give him what he wants. Completely absurd and I loved it.

I didn't mind the conventional plot either. When it comes to these movies, it's all about how I feel about the character in the end, and I really like the MCU Doctor Strange already. Some of his humor doesn't even work and the fact that they're aware of that in the movie
during the scene with him and Wong in the library
was pretty great.

The Ancient One's death scene was also very tastefully done, I thought.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
While I liked the movie and thought it was pretty good it also had a lot of nitpicks that bothered me.

First of all, we're pretty far into the MCU and introducing a new character this late with his own origin story pretty much reeks of they needing him in Infinity War. There's also nothing really exciting going on. Since we know this is a set-up for a larger payoff nothing really is at stake, unlike Iron Man 1 where you can feel the hopelessness from the outset until Tony cleans up his act.

Visually, sure it's fun. But you can't help but feel that's it's Batman Begins meets Inception with none of the grander ideas. Unlike Ant-Man they don't really do anything with the perspective change (size vs dimensions). It just feels so safe and so Marvel. It's the new base line of quality for Marvel. If a movie is worse than this they'll rather just cancel it than release it.

It would be interesting to see when you would want to watch this in a re-watching of the series as a whole. There's really only one scene that hints at its position in the MCU timeline and that's after the credits and that scene is probably even in another movie.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member

What is it?

They've mostly done two since the first Avengers.

Well they mostly did post credit scenes, which is at the very end, the mid credit scene is kinda new and started with Avengers iirc. Since then they've been usually doing two scenes with some exceptions, but I think almost every MCU movie had a post credit scene except for AoU (and maybe one or two others) which only had a mid credit scene.

First of all, we're pretty far into the MCU and introducing a new character this late with his own origin story pretty much reeks of they needing him in Infinity War. There's also nothing really exciting going on. Since we know this is a set-up for a larger payoff nothing really is at stake, unlike Iron Man 1 where you can feel the hopelessness from the outset until Tony cleans up his act.

It's not that far away from Infinity War though, I hope they don't go the same route again after phase 3 with setting up a villain (Thanos) for 2-3 phases, they should rather skip that or at least make it really subtle and focus on the individual movies.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
It's not that far away from Infinity War though, I hope they don't go the same route again after phase 3 with setting up a villain (Thanos) for 2-3 phases, they should rather skip that or at least make it really subtle and focus on the individual movies.

It seems like with the current way of doing things here's so much course-correction going on with the plot. You're either not advancing the over-all narrative or you're trying to align all the characters to where they need to be in order for the big event to happen. Doctor Strange needed to do two things in order to set up Infinity War: establish the infinity stone and introduce Doctor Strange.

Hopefully in Phase 4 there's a better structure from the out-set for how the characters move around in order to advance to over-all narrative without the constant plot-patching.

guek

Banned
It seems like with the current way of doing things here's so much course-correction going on with the plot. You're either not advancing the over-all narrative or you're trying to align all the characters to where they need to be in order for the big event to happen. Doctor Strange needed to do two things in order to set up Infinity War: establish the infinity stone and introduce Doctor Strange.

Hopefully in Phase 4 there's a better structure from the out-set for how the characters move around in order to advance to over-all narrative without the constant plot-patching.

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation though. Not every movie needs to advance the infinity stone meta-narrative. There should definitely be room for more stand-alone adventures within the greater MCU.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

Thor Ragnarok is probably going to propel the Infinity storyarch into overdrive ;)

8bit

Knows the Score
I quite enjoyed that. Some observations:

Bumblebee Cabbagepatch's accent was all over the place, as soon as he was slightly loud his American accent was lost.

The
backwards fight
at the end looked amazing even among all the other ott dimensional effects.

"It's the wifi password."

Quick

Banned
I'm going to try and catch an evening IMAX show tonight.

I mean, I still don't know the context, but still...

On a personal note, this is the key for me with spoilers. I can read spoilers all day, but I want to see how that shit plays out myself.

Makes me worry a lot less about it.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I clicked away as fast as I could when I read
the words Dark Dimension and Dormammu, so that sucked out any sense of surprise for me.

I mean, I still don't know the context, but still...

Oh, that's not such a big spoiler! Both are only referenced in passing, neither actually show up.

kinoki

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation though. Not every movie needs to advance the infinity stone meta-narrative. There should definitely be room for more stand-alone adventures within the greater MCU.

My two favourite Marvel movies are Iron Man 3 and The Winter Soldier. While TWS does tie up a great deal of loose threads and advance the overall story of the MCU it's very much its own movie with a clear beginning, middle and end. IM3 is totally separated from the goings on in the MCU even though it clearly exists within it. It, however, doesn't advance the story at all.

Come to think of it: we are in dire need of some breathing movies that don't feel too burdened with MCU as a whole after phase 4.

Oh, that's not such a big spoiler! Both are only referenced in passing, neither actually show up.

Ah, alright thanks!

I'm calm, just gotta wait one more day...

giphy.gif

So my wife and I could watch this in 2D for $23 or in IMAX 3D for $41. That's an insane difference. For somebody who normally hates 3D, is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom