• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Strange |OT| By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up my tickets for Friday afternoon.

Super stoked. Haven't been to the theaters since July and Strange and Arrival this month will be a good start to the fall film season.

SJRB

Gold Member
Sheesh, this was pretty bad. Incredibly, amazingly "by the numbers" in every single way it follows the most basic of origin story premises, one cliche at a time.

Visually it was nothing short of mindblowing, so please go see it in 3D if you have the option. Absolutely amazing in that regard.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That, and Sculli swears up and down that Avatar was a cinematic masterpiece. Don't ever take GAF's opinions on films seriously, especially not FilmGAF's.
Yeah, by all accounts in this thread, the movie is going to be a classic.

Hype.

doesn't duckroll love the transformers movies?

:)

That, and Sculli swears up and down that Avatar was a cinematic masterpiece. Don't ever take GAF's opinions on films seriously, especially not FilmGAF's.

Yeah, by all accounts in this thread, the movie is going to be a classic.

Hype.

whoa.png

Blader

I agree with some of duck and Sculli's opinions and disagree with others, but at least they always lay out their thoughts in a clear, intelligent manner.

/nonpartisan

Sculli too. Those posts were basically a one-two punch to whatever small amount of interest i had in this one honestly

Will check it out on the matinee with hacksaw ridge tho to see how the visuals were no doubt

Yeah, I'm sure you really needed someone to talk you out of it. :lol

I was really expecting to like this. Marvel plus sci fi magic. But I really didn't like it

It felt like it wanted to be a serious sci fi at times but Marve decided in post that they needed to go back and add some "Marvel humour" where Strange suddenly tries to be funny. I couldn't believe how flat that fell

The editing was all over the place. There was little tension and Strange's entire arc was unsatisfactory. He was completely unllikeable as were all of the characters. He reminds me of Stark, an egotist genius. Except there was no redemption for him. He was self pitying and full of himself and never really went through any rebuilding of his character after he hit a low point.

As usual they did a poor job with the antagonists as well. I don't get Marvel's obsession with having all the build up focused on the guy who ends up being a pawn. It's always dissatisfying. Marvel's best antagonists have ended up being the down to earth human characters featured in the TV shows because they get the build up and focus required. Loki worked as well because even if he wasn't the strongest threat at the end of Avengers, at least it seemed like he was he one pulling the strings

guek

Banned
You do realize <person whose opinion I want to dismiss> is an outlier, right? No?
I never dismissed your opinion, bro.

It's just weird to have pages of glowing responses and after one negative impression sigh like it sums it all up.

Wollan

I liked Cumberbatch a lot, the spiritual/mind talk and the great visuals. Minus is the highly conventional origin arch and whatever evil but ultimately I found this Solid. Music reminded me of Rhapsody of fire.

I found it nice to see a Marvel character played with more natural expressions.

duckroll

To be fair, you were the only one who put so many words into to how average this movie is.
Which is of course ok, but at that time everyone else was like, its good.

Roflmao, sorry for actually bothering to express myself. I will remember to stick to memes and gif responses to be better understood by the audience here. Fucking lol.

I never dismissed your opinion, bro.

It's just weird to have pages of glowing responses and after one negative impression sigh like it sums it all up.

Just having some fun bro. :)

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Roflmao, sorry for actually bothering to express myself. I will remember to stick to memes and gif responses to be better understood by the audience here. Fucking lol.
I said I am fine with your posts, I am long enough around here to know how you posts, I am even fine with your opinion ok this movie, I just wanted to say how the outliner post could have been intended.

Santiako

Just came back from watching this. I liked the visuals and Cumberbatch, but the movie was overall pretty bland.

Also, now most of the Avengers are just pointless. Why bother with arrow dude or scarjo when you have a magic guy that can control time and move between dimensions?

HeySeuss

Do we know how many post credit scenes there are?

No spoilers just wanted to know if it was the standard mid and post combo.

Timu

Where are people able to see this early?
Is it just a matter or preordering tickets, or are certain theaters just allowed to show it early before others, or is it country by country?
It's a Marvel movie, that means it'll be out in most countries before the USA!!!

longdi

Banned
What i found unsatisfying is that marvel did not do a clearer distinction between the physical and magical threats mentioned. How would strange fare against ultron or loki, likewise, can the avengers handle mads group? Cos both threats looked the same to me onscreen.

Also i find it hard to reconcile there is a group of normal people that can be taught to warp around the world? Where were they when ultron bots were running amok?

If it weren't for the GAF poster Miles Quaritch I wouldn't remember a single character's name from Avatar.

I know we all love Terminator 2 but it's fine to admit now that Avatar was straight doo doo.

The name gag with Strange and the bad guy was really good, but otherwise not much of the humour stood out to me. I think this one might have worked better if it was more serious than it was. I know that's probably heresy. Cumberbatch was like a mix of House MD and Tony Stark but I was never expecting much different.

Do we know how many post credit scenes there are?

No spoilers just wanted to know if it was the standard mid and post combo.

2 scenes. One is immediately after the flashy credits a few minutes in, the other was at the very end.

If it weren't for the GAF poster Miles Quaritch I wouldn't remember a single character's name from Avatar.

I know we all love Terminator 2 but it's fine to admit now that Avatar was straight doo doo.

Nah it's pretty damn well made. Like legit better than every comic book movie since tdk too easy. My bad for mentioning sculli though I didn't realize avatar talk would be a byproduct yet again.

I stand by that too but I thought I might as well make the distinction. The man still knows solid plot structure and setpieces.

Avatar wasn't utter shit, it was just not that great, filled with stock movie cliches. It was a movie lacking any ambition in terms of plot and character, instead seeking to invest its efforts fleshing out the world of Pandora and being a visual spectacle. Actually, I'd say its sins are replicated in part here in Dr Strange quite a lot. Avatar has less quippy humour, but is also better executed and exists in a more coherent world (MCU being all over the fucking place because of it's shared universe conceit).

Avatar could be studied in film classes as one of the most competent movies ever made.

duckroll

I said I am fine with your posts, I am long enough around here to know how you posts, I am even fine with your opinion ok this movie, I just wanted to say how the outliner post could have been intended.

Dude it's guek, not some random dude, I was just taking the piss. Lol. :p

Since we're talking about Avatar, I thought I should mention that I remember more from Thor 2 than that movie. Not sure what that says about me, but yeah...

My two cents:

Loved it. A lot. Better than Iron Man as an origin story.

Also, easter eggs are good.

3D is a must. IMAX is worth the extra money

it was fun, i liked the humour and the trippy scenes were nicely done. nothing earth shattering, but i was entertained for the ride.

the cape was my mvp.... :>

Cronen

it was fun, i liked the humour and the trippy scenes were nicely done. nothing earth shattering, but i was entertained for the ride.

This. I went in knowing very little about Strange and his corner of the Marvel universe, so it was great to finally see and learn about this character. The mid-credits scene was great, and I look forward to what it alludes to.

Movie's killing it at the overseas box office because it's a lot of fun. My cinema laughed heaps and people walked out happy. Liked it more than civil war/ant man myself. Gives GOTG a good run for the money. This one' should gonna rake it in. People are going to walk out and rave about the trippy visuals which are really incredible (the best kind of word of mouth)

I went with negative on Rotten Tomatoes for my review, but wish they had a "mixed" option. Spoiler-free take below:

[Review] Doctor Strange

Dunno if you missed it; but very early in the movie, the NYC shot had the
avengers tower
in it - it was right in the middle of the shot too, so they referenced it more than once as you wrote in the review. (And then of course, benedict wong brought it up). And of course,
thor's
credit cameo appearance

Cuburt

Yikes @ people shitting on Strange for being all visuals and story cliches while simultaneously praising Avatar.

Saya

I thought this was quite disappointing. The highlights of the film for me were Tilda Swinton, Mordo, and the trippy space scenes. The plot felt so standard and, once again, the villain was just not threatening nor intimidating at all. I thought Mads was wasted in this role. I also had a really hard time taking Cumberbatch seriously with his American accent. I found the humor also quite bad. I think the film had some of the most predictable, safest and common jokes I've seen in a film in a long time.

Movie's killing it at the overseas box office because it's a lot of fun. My cinema laughed heaps and people walked out happy. Liked it more than civil war/ant man myself. Gives GOTG a good run for the money. This one' should gonna rake it in. People are going to walk out and rave about the trippy visuals which are really incredible (the best kind of word of mouth)

Dunno if you missed it; but very early in the movie, the NYC shot had the
avengers tower
in it - it was right in the middle of the shot too, so they referenced it more than once as you wrote in the review. (And then of course, benedict wong brought it up). And of course,
thor's
credit cameo appearance

Ah, the first one didn't register but my "passing mention" mention in the story was referencing the second part. And I also mentioned the last one i.e. "mid-credits sequence." Still, quite light on Avengers tie-ins compared to every other Marvel movie, for the most part.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Ah, the first one didn't register but my "passing mention" mention in the story was referencing the second part. And I also mentioned the last one i.e. "mid-credits sequence." Still, quite light on Avengers tie-ins compared to every other Marvel movie, for the most part.

Not unexpected, considering this is the movie that brings the Multiverse and magic into the MCU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom