• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Strange |OT| By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched it on Imax 3D and man, was it beautiful to watch! First time I feel Marvel actually put some effort in visuals since...well, forever.

Everything else is pretty standard. The story was especially basic and Strange just feels like Tony Stark 2.0. The humor fell flat more than once but I guess I'm used to forced, cringey humor when it comes to Marvel.

SuperSah

Banned
I want to watch this on Halloween night.

I have nobody to go with - should I go alone? I always feel self-conscious about these things...

guek

Banned
I want to watch this on Halloween night.

I have nobody to go with - should I go alone? I always feel self-conscious about these things...

I hear ya but that self conscious feeling has never prevented me from going to a movie alone. Go for it, dude. Unless you think you can wrangle a few people for later in the week.

Laieon

Saw it tonight, it was a lot of fun. Didn't know anything about this character before going in.

Wish I didn't have diplopia, I imagine this would be pretty sweet to see in 3D.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Any box office numbers out in the wild ?

The Sorcerer Supreme weaved some box office magic this weekend as “Doctor Strange” opened to a sterling $86 million overseas.

The latest Marvel adventure doesn’t hit the U.S. until next week, but it’s already proving to be a hit with foreign crowds. Disney, Marvel’s parent company, said that “Doctor Strange’s” opening is nearly 50% ahead of “Ant-Man,” 37% ahead of “Guardians of the Galaxy,” and 23% ahead of “Captain America: The Winter Soldier.” That’s a strong result given that Doctor Strange isn’t as widely known as other comic-book characters.

http://variety.com/2016/film/box-office/marvel-doctor-strange-box-office-1201904483/

guek

Banned
UgCHyvV.gif

DeathyBoy

Banned
Damn, I had a feeling that this was going to underperform because I wasn't sure if there was as much IRL buzz for this, but looks like Cumberbatch + the film itself is doing work out here. Ahead of Cap 2 is surprising.

It'll only underperform if you think it has a chance to hit a billion. Ant Man numbers ww are almost a sure thing. It'll hopefully beat Thor 2. That's likely the ceiling.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
What a fantastic movie. Top tier Marvel. In my top 3 Marvel movies.

Replicant

Just saw it last night. Not as great as Civil War but still good regardless.

I still wish they had cast someone else than Cumberhatch. Would make me like Strange a lot more if that had been the case.

Where are people able to see this early?
Is it just a matter or preordering tickets, or are certain theaters just allowed to show it early before others, or is it country by country?

Fewr

I went to the cinema Saturday morning. Definitely worth watching in 3D. I liked this a lot. I'm glad Phoenix didn't get the role, Cumberbatch or whatever his name is does a great job.

Thought the previews looked boring but I have several free movie passes from cereal, so maybe I will go see it in Thursday ir Sunday.

I thought this was going to be Marvel's first mis-step which wouldn't translate to film or do well at the BO. I saw it earlier and liked it, Tilda Swinton was great and the visuals/powers are unlike anything seen in the MCU so far. Strange himself isn't particularly likeable even after getting his powers which is maybe the biggest problem. I'd rank it somewhere in the middle

Iron Man, Avengers, GOTG
Ant Man, Winter Soldier, Civil War, First Avenger
Thor, Dr Strange
Incredible Hulk, Thor 2, Age of Ultron
Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3

I thought this was going to be Marvel's first mis-step which wouldn't translate to film or do well at the BO. I saw it earlier and liked it, Tilda Swinton was great and the visuals/powers are unlike anything seen in the MCU so far. Strange himself isn't particularly likeable even after getting his powers which is maybe the biggest problem. I'd rank it somewhere in the middle

In what way would you say he is unlikeable, in the character sense or in the way they portrayed him/directed?

Strange is kinda hit or miss in the comics/marvel media in general for me in terms of likability. Sometimes he's a Tony stark with magic, others a genuinely nice dude with magic. Always been hard for me to get a read on him.

Kain

Watched it this weekend. While visually is one of the most, if not the most, impressive movie I've ever seen (it just blows Inception away, for example) the story and characters are nothing special. Strange going from unlikable douche to unlikable douche master sorcerer supreme was random and abrupt as fuck. I wish they spent more time explaining stuff about the magic world.

Also (big spoilers)

Dormammu is a punk what the fuck

In what way would you say he is unlikeable, in the character sense or in the way they portrayed him/directed?

Strange is kinda hit or miss in the comics/marvel media in general for me in terms of likability. Sometimes he's a Tony stark with magic, others a genuinely nice dude with magic. Always been hard for me to get a read on him.
He is supremely arrogant, maybe moreso than any other Marvel hero but it's definitely intentional. He is brilliant and he knows it like Tony Stark but he doesn't have the humour and charm that RDJ's Stak has. The humour from Strange is a bit hit and miss and the laughs are more from visual gags. But that arrogance is often how he is portrayed in the comics so it's true to the character at least.

Also I agree with Kain^, it is quite abrupt how he goes from knowing nothing to casting spells, the film needed more time explaining that.

DeathyBoy

Banned
If I would care more about BO than quality, I would have made a OT for Transformers, not Moonlight.

You said Warner can't pull these films off. Yet their 'failures' make a killing worldwide. So clearly they're doing something right in the mainstream eyes.

Calabi

I thought it was ok. Felt more like a spectacle showcase than anything else. The effects budget must have been huge, although some of them were a bit overly busy and confusing.

The acting the plot didn't work that well for me. Scenes were rushed, like he suddenly just believes in magic, learns how to do it, with nary a struggle.

None of the characters were really interesting, the bad guy and Cumberbatch seemed like safe picks. I didn't really like Tilda Swinton with a bald cap it just seemed odd.

The fighting was a bit dull, it was mostly ordinary kung fu fighting with lights on their fists.

It felt like all spectacle with no substance, but then that is what these films are supposed to be I guess.

I went with negative on Rotten Tomatoes for my review, but wish they had a "mixed" option. Spoiler-free take below:

[Review] Doctor Strange

With only a solitary passing mention of The Avengers, Doctor Strange is as stand-alone an adventure we will get from Marvel — prior to a mid-credits sequence, at least. As explained by a master of the mystic arts, Wong (Benedict Wong), the zen-exuding good guys here are meant to protect a mystical realm outside the physical one we’ve seen endangered thirteen times prior in the MCU. This higher, inherently more important calling pleads for more demanding visual effects, and it comes in psychedelic spades throughout Scott Derrickson’s origin story. But despite all the aesthetic glee tied to infinite dimensions and symmetrically-collapsing architecture, the “origin” of Doctor Strange feels disappointingly rote and the “story” is little more than a series of groovy platitudes relayed to Benedict Cumberbatch as he jumps around the universe — or, more accurately, two-to-three primary locations.

Sculli too. Those posts were basically a one-two punch to whatever small amount of interest i had in this one honestly

Will check it out on the matinee with hacksaw ridge tho to see how the visuals were no doubt

guek

Banned
He's pretty reliable with movie opinions more often than not tho.
Depends on your tastes. I'm more pointing out the selection bias.
Sculli too. Those posts were basically a one-two punch to whatever small amount of interest i had in this one honestly

Will check it out on the matinee with hacksaw ridge tho to see how the visuals were tho no doubt
Lol sculli has terrible taste, or at least very predictable biases.

Busty

Banned
Is this OT being 9 pages less than a week before the film opens reflective of anything? I seem to remember most other Marvel films, even Ant Man, had a much larger 'footprint' on GAF before they opened.

Eh. There's been a lot going on so it could be nothing...., or everything.

Good to see duck pissing everybody off before I can.

You're only one man, BronsonLee. There's only so much you can be expected to do.

Roman

Is this OT being 9 pages less than a week before the film opens reflective of anything? I seem to remember most other Marvel films, even Ant Man, had a much larger 'footprint' on GAF before they opened.

Eh. There's been a lot going on so it could be nothing...., or everything.

You're only one man, BronsonLee. There's only so much you can be expected to do.

Well it's not a well-known character for non-comic readers and the film isn't exactly strongly tied to previous MCU films so there 's simply not much to discuss for people who haven't seen it.

In addition, the critical reception is largely positive and there haven't been any controversies. There's only so many ways to say "I liked it, it was fun" outside the spoiler thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom