• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Strange |OT| By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reviews seem fairly positive but I can already guess that I'll probably align with the IGN one the most. Predictable origin story, bad love interet, boring villain... That's what I was afraid of. But who knows, maybe the movie will surprise me. Still, Marvel needs to change their origin story formula or just stop doing origin films altogether.

And here's the Collider review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBrhBgzPObw
As expected, Schnepp is now the happiest man on earth!

Altairre

I'm down for some trippy visuals but it's a bummer that they fucked up the villain again. I understand that this is more of a character piece and an introduction to Strange so it's difficult to balance that with the other characters but if they want to step up their game they really have to learn that.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Really bummed that Stockholm only has one non-3D showing the entire opening weekend. And it's on the other side of town. Means that I (literally) can't see the movie until they've changed up their programming a bit.

The Kree

Banned
Honestly if you look at the list of actors that have preceded him, were you really expecting him to be the outlier?

Go for the spectacle, don't expect a developed villain. The Marvel mantra.
Or go for the hero. It's his name in the title.

Cuburt

Really bummed that Stockholm only has one non-3D showing the entire opening weekend. And it's on the other side of town. Means that I (literally) can't see the movie until they've changed up their programming a bit.

This seems like one film seeing it in 3D would actually be the preferable choice.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Anyone else thinking that Marvel will have Cumberbatch be the 'Iron Man' of Phase 4 and on? RDJ will probably take a backseat in films after IW, as well as (I'm guessing) Evans and Hemsworth. Not that I think they'll be killed off/completely out of the films, I just don't see them doing Iron Man/Cap/Thor 4.

Anyone else thinking that Marvel will have Cumberbatch be the 'Iron Man' of Phase 4 and on? RDJ will probably take a backseat in films after IW, as well as (I'm guessing) Evans and Hemsworth. Not that I think they'll be killed off/completely out of the films, I just don't see them doing Iron Man/Cap/Thor 4.

I think it will depend on Doctor Strange's box-office and I'm sure it will do fine but I don't know that Cumberbatch can resonate with audiences worldwide the same way RDJ does. But I also think Evans is there for the long run and people have really warmed up to him. Phase 4 doesn't really need to rely on a single hero. Cap, Spidey and possibly Black Panther will probably be the pillars of the MCU going forward and RDJ will keep popping up here and there.

Qvoth

hoping i can watch this next week
AU7Amsc.gif

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
I think it will depend on Doctor Strange's box-office and I'm sure it will do fine but I don't know that Cumberbatch can resonate with audiences worldwide the same way RDJ does. But I also think Evans is there for the long run and people have really warmed up to him. Phase 4 doesn't really need to rely on a single hero. Cap, Spidey and possibly Black Panther will probably be the pillars of the MCU going forward and RDJ will keep popping up here and there.

Stick Captain Marvel in that line-up and I'll be happy. And I agree, we don't need a singular hero to lead a Phase, kinda like Iron Man did in Phase 1. I just think we'll see Strange crop up in films more often than the other characters.

The general idea I'm getting from the reviews is that the characters (sans somewhat underutilized villain and obligatory girlfriend) are really good and have depth, the acting is great, the visuals are amazing and extremely refreshing compared to other films, and the story is as good as it is allowed to be because origin story.

Monocle

So they HAVE wasted Mads Mikkelsen
Dude gets to be in the Marvelverse and Star Wars in the same year. Think what this has done for his career. I bet if he wanted to he could negotiate himself into a meatier Marvel role. Maybe something more CG or prosthetic reliant.

In any case he's got a hell of a resume now. Bond, Hannibal, Marvel, Star Wars... He's bound to show up in a Tarantino film at some point, I'm sure.

HeySeuss

What's this tracking for opening weekend? This thread being so inactive makes me think that it won't do so well by Marvel standards.

HeySeuss

So not terrible, not great. I think wom is going to give it good legs. I was thinking high 50's low 60's so pretty close.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
collider videos has their non spoiler review, they like it. not the best MCU films, but a great Doctor Strange movie. they can't imagine anybody else but Benedict Cumberbatch as Dr Strange now. great performances all around too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBrhBgzPObw

Well most of them are team/sequel movies so it's not really a fair comparison to Strange solo movie, but to me it's sounds like it's a very good solo movie with the usual villain misstep. I do find it is getting somewhat annoying now that a good portion is spent on setting up for future movies.

icespide

Banned
Spider-man

MarveI

The formulaic origin story, generic villain, love interest you could say that about pretty much every SH film ever. Even Batman Begins. I mean it is based on the comics how can it NOT be formulaic ? I don't see how this is any different than all the other SH films released. It's how you portray that formulaic origin that matters.

Like I enjoyed Civil War, GOTG but they weren't great for me considering the love they got. Kinda same with Deadpool. It had more flaws than people noticed or overlooked.

Spider-man

No bias there.

It's clear that Feige has big plans for his fav character. And from the looks of it Cumberbatch has repeated that lightning in a bottle.

kswiston

With an average rating of 6.7. That's a weird contrast! Either way, the visuals will have me in the theater.

A lot of the current reviews are top critics, which tend to be harsher with the scoring. The average might creep up to 7/10 when the hobby reviewers are added. I'm expecting a 75-85% final score.

I still firmly believe this will be in the lowest grossing out of all the Marvel films.

Lol Benedict Cumberbatch is an internet darling, what possessed you to think this?

In fact this is probably the biggest casting they've got in terms of a star who was already big and successful before the fact.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
This seems like one film seeing it in 3D would actually be the preferable choice.

I'd love to be able to see it in 3D. Able, being the key word. My eyes however disagree with my want. :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom