• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Strange |OT| By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw one of these (Toronto) painted doctor strange and playing clips on all 3 TVs..what on odd ad strategy.

dsc_0018_0.jpg

ViciousDS

Banned
This movies going to be a mindfuck of graphical proportions isn't it? Haven't been this excited for a MCU movie since Guardians

Fhtagn

Extremely frustrating that this isn't out for another week and a bit here. I like going in not knowing what is going to happen.

Oh well. Glad y'all are enjoying it so much!

Flynn77

Just got back. Took a punt and went for a 3D showing as the 2D times were crap. I normally come away hating 3D.

My gosh boi!

Probably one of the best uses of 3D I've seen. Undoubtedly down to how it plays to the trippy visuals. Thematically it's more origin story fare, but the shear inventiveness of the big set pieces and great performances by the key players pull it through. Can't believe I'm going to do this but, SEE THIS FILM IN 3D!

This is now my favorite origins movie along with Ant-Man, even though this feels bigger than that (no jokes intended). What makes it special are the visuals and finally the soundtrack wich at least is interesting, also Cumberbatch, Ejofor, Mikkelsen, all good. Seriously, I liked the bad guy in this Marvel flick, he's fascinating.
The story was formulaic, yet the themes surprised me positively.

What a great year for superhero movies.

Wiseblade

Just finished my viewing. I enjoyed myself, it's a very pretty film. The start is deliberately slow, but it has the common sense at least to go all out on the visuals once things start to pick up.

It's a Marvel origin movie, so it has all the standard flaws. A weak antagonist, an underdeveloped romantic interest, all that jazz. That said, the final climax has just enough minor variations to entertain and the final resoution feels appropriate for the little I know of the Sorcerer Supreme. It's very pretty too.

Ultimately it's one of the better Marvel Origin Movies, but it's still one of those.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Posted in spoiler thread, was meant for here:

Just came back. I really like it, think this may be a lock for my Marvel top 5. It feels very different from other Marvel movies and visually it's a spectacle. Weak point may be the (forced) humor, I think this movie would've been even better if they played it straight all the way through. Most of the quips didn't quite hit home for me. But that's a nitpick, overall me and my friends loved it.

And now I must rank

1. Guardians
2. Iron Man
3. Ant-Man
4. Dr. Strange
5. Winter Soldier

That's about where I'd put it. Very strong entry this one! Also the 3D in this movie is very well done. The magic really pops in 3D, loved the effects. It's definitely worth seeing in 3D.

Was this [partially] shot in IMAX or just DMR'd? Also is it not playing in 2D IMAX? Want to see it the best possible way I can, thinking I should go Dolby Cinema.

should I go watch the movie today but in normal 2d screen, or wait until weekend for the Imax 3d screen? I have no problem watching it second time in Imax, but I wonder if I should save my first impression for Imax 3d or not.

Goddamn, all the UMvC3 Dr.Strange quotes in this thread are killing me!

This'll be the first movie in around half a decade that I'll see in 3D. Seems worth it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Watched it. Really great movie, and the action and visuals are top notch. I'd still put Ant-Man above it but it's still well worth the watch. It had some questionable moments (like dialog) but otherwise it's great.

Boss Doggie

Two questions regarding the movie:
Is 3D worh it?
Are there any important mid-credits or post-credits scenes?

I didn't watch it in 3D, but certain moments might really look good in 3D.

For the credits,
we saw Thor talking to Strange about helping him and Loki look for Odin

black070

Guys.. you owe it to yourself to watch this in 3D, so good.

Movies a solid 8.5/10 - Cumberbatch is great, the visuals are spectacular, it just takes a little while to get going.

Regarding after credit scenes, does this film have the typical setup of one scene immediately after the animated credits and another one at the very end?

Saw it yesterday.

Decent film, nothing special while nothing bad at the same time.
The main villain was lame, strange and the ancient one were good.

Film spoiler:

I was hyped for seeing Dormammu on film. Loved him since that 90's spiderman animated arc. Very fun bit at the end with him.

Super spoiler you shouldn't read unless you read comics and know a lot about Doctor Strange, might play a role in a future film:

So....do people think Mordo is turning baron later, or are they just going to keep him as he is?

black070

Super spoiler you shouldn't read unless you read comics and know a lot about Doctor Strange, might play a role in a future film:

So....do people think Mordo is turning baron later, or are they just going to keep him as he is?

Post credit scene sees him becoming a villain.

1. Civil War
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
3. Avengers
4. The Winter Soldier
5. Iron Man
6. Doctor Strange
7. Ant-Man
8. Avengers Age of Ilorin
(The rest)

For me

It was definitely good, but just stumbled over itself in certain parts.

Boss Doggie

isn't it kinda given
Mordo
would become evil especially with all the talk earlier? But I bet he'd be given a
strike me down while I'm not evil moment or maybe a realization moment during the confrontation

number11

Anyone else disappointed with the soundtrack? I was sure hiring Giacchino would change Marvel's streak of forgettable music.. but nope. The track used at the very end was interesting, but other than that, the music was just your standard background music.

Edit: The actual soundtrack album sounds cool.. I don't know if it was Marvel's sound editing which ruined it for me.

and since we're ranking..

1. GOTG
2. Winter Soldier
3. Civil War
4. Iron Man
5. Avengers
6. Iron Man 3
7. Doctor Strange
8. Ant Man
The Rest

Certinty

Not really a spoiler but just incase I'll tag it.

What I didn't like was when he's training
it just jumps out of nowhere ahead in time several times without even specifying how long had gone by. One minute he can't do shit then the next he's suddenly taking down trained sorcerers.
I didn't like that at all.

If I had to rank the top MCU movies for me:
1) Civil War
2) The Winter Soldier
3) Ant-Man
4) Iron Man
5) Doctor Strange

That seems about right. The visual effects and ending make up for it lacking in other departments such as a lame ass villain.

Carcetti

If I had to rank the top MCU movies for me:
1) Civil War
2) The Winter Soldier
3) Ant-Man
4) Iron Man
5) Doctor Strange

That seems about right. The visual effects and ending make up for it lacking in other departments such as a lame ass villain.

Actually, that list almost mirrors my ranking having seen Strange, just with one change.

1. Civil War
2. The Winter Soldier
3. Avengers
4. Iron Man
5. Doctor Strange
6. Ant-Man

Donos

tickets in 3d reserved for tomorrow. Looking forward. can't remember if the German cumberbatch voice fitted him... let's see.

My ranking (for now) goes:

1) Civil War
2) The Winter Soldier
3) Doctor Strange
4) The First Avenger
5) Iron Man 3
6) Iron Man

I think Civil War and Winter Soldier will switch places when I finally rewatch CW.

For me the humour in Doctor Strange is the chuckle-worthy type (rather than LOL Avengers type) so I'm fine with it. It being quite unique outside of origin story trappings and rather self-contained elevates it for me.

Fluvian

Banned
Just got back from Dr Strange....It's fucking great, there are some amazing sequences in it and even one that reminded me of some of my DMT trips back in the day, villain is underwhelming but that's to be expected unfortunately.

I was super excited when I heard Dan Harmon was re-writing some scenes in the third act and his touch totally shows, especially when
Strange comes face to face with dormammu
that was a brilliant sequence.

I see everyone is updating their Marvel rankings, allow me to.

1. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. Dr Strange (I know but I liked it so much!)
3. The Winter Soldier
4. Cap 1
5. Ant man

For me, strange probably slots in:

1)Iron Man
2)Cap 2
3)Guardians of the Galaxy
4)Cap 3
5)Avengers
6)Ant Man
7)Thor
8)Cap 1
9)Doctor Strange
10)Avengers 2
11)Iron Man 2
12)Thor 2
13)Iron Man 3

Kazuhira

Just got back from Dr Strange....It's fucking great, there are some amazing sequences in it and even one that reminded me of some of my DMT trips back in the day, villain is underwhelming but that's to be expected unfortunately.

May i ask why? was Mikkelsen's perfomance bad,barely any screentime etc? i'm really curious.

New002

I'll be seeing this on a legit IMAX screen in 3D, thought not opening weekend :( Can't wait! I know virtually nothing about Dr. Strange so it's kind of fun going in pretty clueless about the character(s) for once.

Wuiji

May i ask why? was Mikkelsen's perfomance bad,barely any screentime etc? i'm really curious.

He's just a bit generic and uninspired as a villain. He does the job he's needed for but it's not a particularly memorable character or a noteworthy performance.

kurahador

He's just a bit generic and uninspired as a villain. He does the job he's needed for but it's not a particularly memorable character or a noteworthy performance.

How generic is he? Yellow Jacket/Iron Mongers tier (which I love) or Malekith/Ronan tier (which I hate)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom