• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

tomtom94

The melody of "Pop Goes the Weasel" was used as a leitmotif in several episodes of the 1960s science fiction series The Prisoner, particularly in the series' penultimate episode "Once Upon a Time" in which the lead character, under an intense form of interrogation, obsessively sings the song, with "POP" identified as a meme representing the directive "protect other people."

That was about the only thing I could find on either song from a brief browse through Wikipedia, though Moffat may enjoy the fact nobody really knows who the Fur Elise is directed to nor what the lyrics of Pop Goes The Weasel actually mean.

Pop Goes the Weasel.

edit: first it was Für Elise, before the Doctor mentions deaths.

long bow to draw but Pop goes the weasel did appear at lest once in Doctor Who (Planet of the Spiders). The Spiders used it as a way to demonstrate they had faked Sarah Jane's voice.

The spiders were from the same planet (Metebelis III)as the blue crystal from Hide in S7, where Matt Smith invented a completely different way of saying Metebelis compared to how it was pronounced during the Pertwee Era. I think they've ben there, done that and basically- I don't think it has anything to do with Spiders.

You can throw your rankings in the bin if this series keeps up the quality it's been at so far. 10 has been fantastic, feels like a great mix of Moffat and RTD's influences on the show. Bill is brilliant, Capaldi's at his peak, everything is fantastic.

David Suchet is really creepy in Knock Knock, I did not expect that out of him. I love that they let his character be irredeemably weird rather than get a happy ending he clearly didn't deserve.

tomtom94

long bow to draw but Pop goes the weasel did appear at lest once in Doctor Who (Planet of the Spiders). The Spiders used it as a way to demonstrate they had faked Sarah Jane's voice.

TARDIS wiki said:
Counting K'anpo's regeneration along with the Third Doctor's, this is the only one of the Doctor's regeneration stories to feature a case of double regenerations and the only televised story where more than one Time Lord regenerates.

Knowing Moffat's preponderence for references, that can't be a coincidence.

tomtom94

Given that Chibnall was lead writer on the first two series' of Torchwood, I do wonder if we'll see Jack in Chibnall's Doctor Who.

I hope not, though that's mainly because if Barrowman keeps going it's going to become increasingly difficult to pretend he's immortal. Save that sort of thing for Big Finish, I say.

(Jack/River/Twelve?)

I hope not, though that's mainly because if Barrowman keeps going it's going to become increasingly difficult to pretend he's immortal. Save that sort of thing for Big Finish, I say.

(Jack/River/Twelve?)

Well, the beauty of time travel as a key conceit of a show is that 10 years for Barrowman could be a million for Jack. Given we have a beginning and a face-shaped end for Jack (and even the latter isn't really concrete), a new meeting could take place anywhere between, explaining away any age difference. The show is already on the record (in Utopia) saying that he is aging, just impossibly slowly.

Platy

So .. what are the must listen ones from that list ?

Confused: They list fifty stories there (plus a bunch of offshoots), and most early Big Finish stuff comes to more than an hour. Chimes of Midnight, for instance is four half-hour episodes, so two hours on its own.

just saw ... it does feature full 2 hours of chimes of midnight

mclem

Most of the Eighth Doctor/Charley ones are brilliant (Except for Minuet in Hell, which I've not heard, but, well, it has a reputation.) That happens to include Chimes.

Storm Warning
Sword of Orion
The Stones of Venice
Minuet in Hell
Invaders from Mars
The Chimes of Midnight
Seasons of Fear
Embrace the Darkness
The Time of the Daleks
Neverland
Zagreus

(But Zagreus is a bit of a special case, in that it was a fortieth anniversary special, and context from the other Big Finish lines might help)

tomtom94

Having never dipped into Big Finish before now I decided to start with Jubilee (the loose inspiration for "Dalek" from the first series). Yep, that was very good.

I know also that "Spare Parts" and "Master" are both in there and they were the (loose) basis for Rise of the Cybermen and Utopia respectively. So those might be a good starting point for New Who fans like me.

Which Sixth Doctor stories are worth checking out?

PaulloDEC

Which Sixth Doctor stories are worth checking out?

I've only listened to a handful, but "Whispers of Terror" (one of his earliest BF stories) is a really cool story that makes great use of sound, and "Davros" is probably my favourite Davros story in any medium.

It's been a while since I've listened to "Master", but "Spare Parts" is fantastic and absolutely a great story to kick off with.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
NHKbz.gif

Dear Jamie Mathieson,

Please never stop writing Doctor Who episodes.

Regards, everyone.

But seriously, what a fantastic episode. I've always loved the space station distress episodes and I think this one might just be my favourite since The Impossible Planet back in series 2. The only thing holding it back really were the subpar side characters. Series 10 is shaping up to one to remember.

liquidtmd

Banned
Mathieson best moffat era write confirmed.

Wonder if the blindness will run all the way to the regeneration?

That depends if you still think the regeneration will occur in the last episode of the season...

I don't for some reason. Maybe wrong. But equally I don't think the regeneration will be the last we see of Capaldi this year.

I'm expecting timey wimey

Slowdive

Banned
From Mathieson on Reddit:

Should we expect to find you and Chris Chibnall at the same time next year, chilling out?

The phone hasn't rung and I don't think it will. My understanding is that Chris is sticking with a team he's got used to working with on Broadchurch. Which makes absolute sense and frankly why wouldn't you? I am looking forward to seeing how he writes for the Doctor we leave him with, which I understand from Steven will still be blind, cursed to continually hop on one leg and unable to speak in anything but rhyming couplet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMA/commen...tor_who_episode_oxygen_ama/dhilyyf/?context=3

HigXx

This guy just gets Doctor Who. List time....

Mummy on the Orient Express
Oxygen
Flatline
The Girl Who Died

To be honest the 3 at the top are really on the same level.

Shiggy

Wasn't the best episode, and surely not the best of the season. Only real highlight was the ending (the aftermath in his office). Wonder what went wrong there.

Knock Knock still the best for now.

RetroMG

I'm going to throw Jubilee on this list. It's very similar to the 9th Doctor Dalek episode, and it's really well done.

EDIT: I just realized that was a different list than I thought it was. Jubilee is still good.

Joqu

Top Bottom