• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

Moffat did namecheck the Valeyard in The Name of the Doctor. Along with other 'dark' future Doctor names actually. Maybe it's the Beast, whatever that is?

doop_

Banned
Smile and Knock Knock were great, exactly what i want from Doctor Who. It makes up for the really bad first episode and painfully average third one.

I would love for there to be a regeneration and for us to not know about the results. Hell, I'd have loved for this season there to be the regeneration and we not have known about it at all.

Hell, even the inevitable John Simm reveal would have been so hype if they hadn't put it in that trailer.

Pretty annoyed they spoiled the John Simm Master. Just imagine how hype it would have been if the vault opened and John Simm came walking out and we didn't know he was going to come back.

The news about Simm was leaked by the tabloids not long before. The BBC just reacted to make it part of their narrative.

Besides. It probably won't be him in the vault.

Ade

I still wonder if they'd have the balls to have Simm/Capaldi/Missy to be involved in an explosion, all regenerate and have Kris Marshall, Missy and Rory Kinnear emerge from the debris and all go their separate ways, leading into a Xmas Special where we don't know if its the Doctor or the Post Missy Master we're watching.

ag-my001

Put me down in the "Bill is great-granddaughter" camp. The Doctor's line about Time Lords and "that's enough for now" struck me as feeling out how much she might know or trying to trigger a repressed memory of her mother/Susan.

Yep, another really good episode - I think the hiatus allowed them to lock in the scripts and make sure they were tight before they started filming. Really good scares with an underplayed element of satire.

The only issue I have is that (similar to the problem some people have with Get Out) the early scary moments for the Landlord don't make sense in light of the reveal - specifically him appearing in sealed rooms and not knowing who the Prime Minister is, which are clearly meant to imply he's alien. I suppose you could argue it's deliberate, though.

(Speaking of the Prime Minister, I see the Doctor mentioned Harriet Jones but I couldn't hear if he mentioned Harold Saxon...)

He did not.

I was lukewarm on this episode, but it was still fun. Weakest of the season so far.

Put me down in the "Bill is great-granddaughter" camp. The Doctor's line about Time Lords and "that's enough for now" struck me as feeling out how much she might know or trying to trigger a repressed memory of her mother/Susan.

But Susan was left on Earth after a Dalek invasion, couldn't have children with humans and generally was around for a lot longer.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Susan_Foreman

Unless they simply forget all of the previous character development it's hard to see Bill being related.

She couldn't have kids with a human according to the Eighth Doctor novels but could according to the Big Finish Eighth Doctor audios that Moffat essentially canonised in Night of the Doctor.

hamchan

Those Big Finish Eighth Doctor audios were pretty damn depressing regarding Susan and the Doctor's great grandson.

KingDirk

Feeling this season so far. Enjoying the self-contained stories, loving Bill's confidence, and I feel we are getting a fuller picture of 13. Really wish this wasn't the only season we had with these two

It's a Time Lord. One way or another.

I think being pretty confident in that is helping me just sorta skate over those tags at the end of the episode as fun fluff as opposed to a serious mystery or whatever. It's like a nice-check in for a payoff I'm pretty sure is coming

And if it doesn't? Hey, cool swerve!

But yeah, I don't see a scenario where whatever's in there isn't a Time Lord of some type.

After watching the binaural version (which is neat) I'm still not sure what I think of the episode. Suchet is superb in a role that could have just been Richard E Grant levels of camp, and, surprise surprise, anything with the Bill and the Doctor is great but it didn't quite flow for me.

I think my problem is that the first half is an alright horror that feels like it needs to be about twice the length to work, and the second half is a nice bit of classic Doctor Who weird parent-child pathos that doesn't slot together with the first.

The prosthetics on Eliza were pretty fantastic though. When she first appeared and gave that dead-eyed smile I shivered.

And I don't think it can really be anyone but the Master/Missy in the vault at this point. The Doctor bringing food to share with them, them eerily playing a piano, them enjoying hearing about people dying.
Plus Moffat has said we'll found out who's in there within a few episodes, right around when Missy is due to turn back up.
I think the mystery isn't necessarily who is in the vault so much as why they're in there.

Platy

I don't think it is Missy because there is now way the doctor would announce that he is entering and calmly open the door and look with the door opening when he is capturing his great arch nemesis.

I played too much zelda but evolving from knocking to piano makes me think it is kinda of a restoration chamber, just like they use the pandorica to save Amy

A-V-B

After watching the binaural version (which is neat) I'm still not sure what I think of the episode. Suchet is superb in a role that could have just been Richard E Grant levels of camp, and, surprise surprise, anything with the Bill and the Doctor is great but it didn't quite flow for me.

I think my problem is that the first half is an alright horror that feels like it needs to be about twice the length to work, and the second half is a nice bit of classic Doctor Who weird parent-child pathos that doesn't slot together with the first.

The prosthetics on Eliza were pretty fantastic though. When she first appeared and gave that dead-eyed smile I shivered.

And I don't think it can really be anyone but the Master/Missy in the vault at this point. The Doctor bringing food to share with them, them eerily playing a piano, them enjoying hearing about people dying.
Plus Moffat has said we'll found out who's in there within a few episodes, right around when Missy is due to turn back up.
I think the mystery isn't necessarily who is in the vault so much as why they're in there.

Imagine the bullshit level if the Doctor used the Time Lord moment-stealing machine to nab the Master right before he went back to Gallifrey with Rassillon, and the Master's been stuck in the Vault ever since because the Doctor's trying to "rehabilitate" or "save" him. Or something. It would give the mother-son story in Knock Knock a bit of thematic relevance.

It would also be an echo of when The Doctor tried it with Clara. Since all those memories were erased, the concept of doing such a thing has been bouncing around in the Doctor's brain like a dog with a leash but no master. So... the Doctor went and got a new one. Moral of the story: don't erase your own memories, it fucks you up in ways you don't expect.

Symphonia

Banned
A potentially more interesting question than who's in the vault is who the Doctor made his oath to.
I think it was an oath or promise to himself to stay on Earth to protect the planet and keep whatever's locked up locked up. He can't leave Earth in case the contents escape. I think it was explained in the first episode.

Going back to my wondering about whether 12 going back to Gallifrey to seal it up in the pocket dimension (as seen in the 50th special) will have something to do with this season. It's a free mindwipe, basically, right? Anything having anything to do with that moment gets forgotten once you move outside that moment. None of the other Doctors know that they did that. So far as I can tell, Clara didn't remember it either, right?

I'm fuzzy about how all that works, but if there's stuff that needs to be forgotten/erased, you could do that pretty cleanly by having whatever you need wiped handled on that specific adventure.

Kevin

Inside the vault is
probably John Simm's Master. While that sounds way to simple and easy, I don't think we were suppose to know that John Simms was coming back at all. So this would have been a really awesome surprise had the leak not occurred.

Inside the vault is
probably John Simm's Master. While that sounds way to simple and easy, I don't think we were suppose to know that John Simms was coming back at all. So this would have been a really awesome surprise had the leak not occurred.
He was always intended to be in the trailer at the end of The Pilot. That's where the leak cane from.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Just re-watched Knock Knock and paid attention to that last bit this time around. There's actually some good insight as to who's in there.

Nardole mentions they've been restive, meaning bored or dissatisfied. I'm speculating that the Vault is Timelord technology and therefore bigger on the inside. Can't see a normal person ever getting bored inside a TARDIS-like 'prison' other than a Time Lord.

The Doctor says:
"Look, I know you miss it all. But I'm stuck here, too, you know? We're both prisoners."

And after he mentions that he has a story about people being eaten, "Pop Goes The Weasel" is played. That seems like a Missy thing to do in my opinion.

Fake edit: Going back to all Vault mentions so far.

Thin Ice: Nardole brings up the oath again. Nardole seems surprised by the knocking. Mentions "What do you think you know? What has he told you? Because, yeah, he may have a little friend now and, yeah, he may be a little bit distracted but I tell you something, I'm still here, and as long as I'm still here you're going nowhere."

Smile: Nardole mentions the oath, the Doctor isn't supposed to go off world unless it's an emergency. Doctor: "I've got a vault to guard".

The Pilot: Okay, this is a stretch but only just occurred to me. Happens when Bill stumbles upon the Doctor and Nardole at the Vault.

Nardole: So you're tutoring her then?
Doctor: Yes, I am.
N: Why?
D: Why not?
N: You're not supposed to get involved. What are you teaching her anyway?
D: Everything.
N: Well how can you teach anyone everything?
D: Because everything rhymes.

We assume they're talking about Bill here, but potentially they're talking about whoever's in the Vault?

Anyway, later in the episode:

Bill: Why, what's inside it?
Doctor: Something I don't want anyone being too curious about.

Later, when he's about to mind wipe Bill:

Doctor: I have no choice. I'm here for a reason, I'm in disguise. I have promises to keep. No-one can know about me.
*Looks at pictures of Susan and River, tells them to shut up*. I can't do that anymore, I promised.

Anyway, supposedly we'll know soon enough and it won't be stretched out over the course of the series, but fun to speculate nonetheless.

Kevin

He was always intended to be in the trailer at the end of The Pilot. That's where the leak cane from.

Hmm...
if that is so then this could in fact be a red herring and that maybe someone else is in the vault. Possible doctor one but many do they sure make it seem like the Master is in there with the teases. I guess I don't know then. Could yet be surprised by the end of all this.

Kinda of me hopes that it's someone new, or maybe the Valeyard, because if it's anyone like The Master, I feel like it's just gonna be really disappointing.

I can't think of any realistic possibilities that wouldn't be disappointing, especially since my gut is telling me that it's missy, which would be really disappointing.

Maybe it's Bill's mom? That would be interesting from a character perspective.

StayDead

Playing the Piano I would say is certainly a (insert obvious character here) thing, especially being happy to hear lots of people died.

I don't care if it is who's been spoiled. I just can't wait to see them again!

Kurdel

Banned
Knock knock was the dumbest episode since In the Forest of the night.

First half was creepy, the reste was cringe.

Top Bottom