• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

Boem

This might've been the only Gatiss Who I've actually enjoyed!

This one was fine - not what I look for in Who but eh, whatever. But as for Gatiss episodes, I always thought The Crimson Horror was his best episode. It's goofy and silly, but for a Gatiss episode it has a ton of personality.

I really enjoyed it. it really didn't feel like a Moffat who at all but something that had the vibe of the original series with modern sensibilities. I think they did the Ice Warriors much better here than in the Matt Smith ep.

I let out a very loud laugh when i realised that voice was an Alpha Centauri.

So not a standout ep, but by far the most fun.

Next week's looks a bit meh
most previews this season had me thinking the same and then I ended up enjoying the episodes
I don't like how next week is about a Roman legion in Britain but will have no RORY WILLIAMS

tomtom94

This one was fine - not what I look for in Who but eh, whatever. But as for Gatiss episodes, I always thought The Crimson Horror was his best episode. It's goofy and silly, but for a Gatiss episode it has a ton of personality.

Crimson Horror > Cold War > Night Terrors > Empress of Mars > Unquiet Dead > Idiot's Lantern > Robot of Sherwood > Sleep No More > Victory of the Daleks

Oh, in exciting news: Rusty says the new Doctor has been cast and he knows who it is.

hamchan

It was a decent episode of Doctor Who. Enjoyable enough, not too bad, not too great. So an above average Gatiss episode then. Last one probably too.

Santiako

Episode was alright.

The ending has me wondering though, why was Missy so concerned? Is the Doctor dying from something Monk related? Were they just trying to show Missy in a not evil light?

Boem

Episode was alright.

The ending has me wondering though, why was Missy so concerned? Is the Doctor dying from something Monk related? Were they just trying to show Missy in a not evil light?

I think the idea was that Missy was struggling with her new attitude of being 'good'. Meaning, no weird plan once she was out of the vault this week, just doing what she was supposed to do, agreeing that she needs to go back into the vault at the end.

Of course, in the end it'll turn out it was all an act and that she's working on something, but I feel like that was what they were trying to do here.

hamchan

The Doctor taking the face of the Master, because we know he can choose faces subconsciously, would be a pretty incredible move.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Watch it be John Simm. They've bamboozled us all into thinking that he'll return as the Master when, in fact, he's the new Doctor.

Probably not, although I do really like Simm and I can't wait to see him return.

that could be pretty neat.

iFirez

I would fucking LOVE it if Simm was the next Doctor. I really like him.

I think Missy is either regenerating backwards or her past self comes back to destroy the vault and free her - I doubt we'll get a regen scene for her but she has announced she is leaving the show so the next creative team can have their own stab at The Master but I feel like that character may be retired for a while.

I'm pretty positive we won't see a Capaldi regeneration this series, I think when they spoke publicly about 'already having filmed it' I think they were referring to that scene in the third Monk episode - which in the trailers teased the regeneration. I don't even think we'll see him start his regeneration this series. It'l all happen at Christmas, Capaldi's final story, Bill isn't his companion anymore (which I think is how this series will end) and it wraps up the Capaldi Doctor's entire narrative ending in a strange set of circumstances that lead to regeneration.

Santiako

I think Missy is either regenerating backwards or her past self comes back to destroy the vault and free her - I doubt we'll get a regen scene for her but she has announced she is leaving the show so the next creative team can have their own stab at The Master but I feel like that character may be retired for a while.

I'm pretty positive we won't see a Capaldi regeneration this series, I think when they spoke publicly about 'already having filmed it' I think they were referring to that scene in the third Monk episode - which in the trailers teased the regeneration. I don't even think we'll see him start his regeneration this series. It'l all happen at Christmas, Capaldi's final story, Bill isn't his companion anymore (which I think is how this series will end) and it wraps up the Capaldi Doctor's entire narrative ending in a strange set of circumstances that lead to regeneration.

Oh yeah, I don't think it will happen, but I would love if it did.

Also, watch them bring Clara back for the final Capaldi adventure D:<

Symphonia

Banned
Would a regeneration being bought on by suicide be too dark for Doctor Who? I'm picturing Missy/The Master killing Bill, resulting in a showdown between them and The Doctor, ending in their death. The Doctor, distraught at losing both Bill and his childhood friend, decides to end his current life, ultimately losing all his memories, etc opening the door to the reboot next season.

Santiako

Would a regeneration being bought on by suicide be too dark for Doctor Who? I'm picturing Missy/The Master killing Bill, resulting in a showdown between them and The Doctor, ending in their death. The Doctor, distraught at losing both Bill and his childhood friend, decides to end his current life, ultimately losing all his memories, etc opening the door to the reboot next season.

Way too dark, c'mon.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?

Not if it was handled correctly. I'm not thinking gun to the head but rather the Doctor being so distraught and upset, he just begins a regeneration to loose his memories like you said, or whatever. Or becoming upset at the person he's become so he decided to completely change by forcing regeneration.

Boem

Not if it was handled correctly. I'm not thinking gun to the head but rather the Doctor being so distraught and upset, he just begins a regeneration to loose his memories like you said, or whatever. Or becoming upset at the person he's become so he decided to completely change by forcing regeneration.

Nah I can't see that ever happening. You can talk about the Doctor being upset by himself, even hating parts of himself, but they'll never go as far as suicide. It is a children's show in the end, and even if you make his suicide non-violent, it's the message that counts.

Self-sacrifice and being okay with regenerating is something else, but actually wanting to end his own life won't happen. Vincent & the Doctor was the closest Who will ever get to discussing suicide, and that broadcast ended with a message on screen listing suicide hotlines, and a voice over talking about how viewers who were upset with the contents of the show should contact any of those numbers. Which is already pretty insane when you think about it - I'm very (happily) surprised the BBC allowed that episode to air.

But the Doctor killing himself because he hates himself.out of guilt/whatever? Not going to happen.

Also consider that, even with the dramatic final moments, final episodes tend to be more of a celebration of that specific Doctor, and a tribute to the actor. Painting him as a character who sees no way out apart from suicide* won't fly, and I can't see them sending off an actor with his character thinking 'this one didn't work, maybe the next one will turn out better'.

* except, of course, if it's to save someone else, to sacrifice his own life for another. That works and has been done in the past. But not the 'I don't deserve to live' kind, where he ends it out of self-hatred. That's how you kill the show, and alienate/scar a ton of kids.

The Doctor is, in the end, a character that, above all, celebrates life.

tomtom94

Suicide is only ever going to be used as a plot point rather than as a story conclusion, hence its inclusion in Extremis and Zygon Inversion.

Rusell T Davies knows who the next Doctor is.

TV supremo and former Doctor Who producer Russell T Davies has revealed he knows who's going to be taking over the TARDIS from Peter Capaldi.

Does that mean the next Doctor has already been cast?

Speaking to former Big Brother star Andy West on his AndyVision channel, Davies revealed that he knows exactly who has been cast as the sonic screwdriver-wielding Time Lord. He just isn't telling anyone who it is.

Interesting if he does or if this is just a bluff.
Theres a bit more at the link to which I've spoilered below.

West then asked Davies to "not shake his head if the new Doctor was younger than Capaldi".

And RTD didn't shake his head, so surely that can only mean one thing?

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-who/news/a830511/doctor-who-next-doctor-russell-t-davies-knows-peter-capaldi-successor-identity/

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Nah I can't see that ever happening. You can talk about the Doctor being upset by himself, even hating parts of himself, but they'll never go as far as suicide. It is a children's show in the end, and even if you make his suicide non-violent, it's the message that counts.

Self-sacrifice and being okay with regenerating is something else, but actually wanting to end his own life won't happen. Vincent & the Doctor was the closest Who will ever get to discussing suicide, and that broadcast ended with a message on screen listing suicide hotlines, and a voice over talking about how viewers who were upset with the contents of the show should contact any of those numbers. Which is already pretty insane when you think about it - I'm very (happily) surprised the BBC allowed that episode to air.

But the Doctor killing himself because he hates himself.out of guilt/whatever? Not going to happen.

Also consider that, even with the dramatic final moments, final episodes tend to be more of a celebration of that specific Doctor, and a tribute to the actor. Painting him as a character who sees no way out apart from suicide* won't fly, and I can't see them sending off an actor with his character thinking 'this one didn't work, maybe the next one will turn out better'.

* except, of course, if it's to save someone else, to sacrifice his own life for another. That works and has been done in the past. But not the 'I don't deserve to live' kind, where he ends it out of self-hatred. That's how you kill the show, and alienate/scar a ton of kids.

I don't think it'll happen ever, but I also don't think it should be off the cards if it could be done decently and properly. But that's very unlikely. But above all your great point sums it up:

Rusell T Davies knows who the next Doctor is.

Interesting if he does or if this is just a bluff.
Theres a bit more at the link to which I've spoilered below.

West then asked Davies to "not shake his head if the new Doctor was younger than Capaldi".

And RTD didn't shake his head, so surely that can only mean one thing?

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-who/news/a830511/doctor-who-next-doctor-russell-t-davies-knows-peter-capaldi-successor-identity/

Obviously Russell is the next Doctor

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I enjoyed that episode. Lol at Alpha Centurai. Felt like a classic Who episode, kind of modernized. I miss the campy charm.

I liked that one for what it was: a fairly straightforward Doctor Who episode.

But I loved that panning shot of Missy's face behind the time rotor.

I really liked that. Amazing what low Gatiss-based expectations will do. I like that it was a very simple, very traditional-feeling episode. And after four episodes of darkness and Bill either dying or sacrificing herself it was nice to see her and the Doctor enjoying themselves on an adventure again.

Started off very Victory of the Daleks though, with previously evil alien turning benevolent and serving tea to people, but luckily it had enough to differentiate itself. And after audibly sighing over the idea of the 'gimmick' being a female Ice Warrior, she was actually fine, particularly going by Cyberwoman standards.

Missy stuff was a nice bonus too. I'm a total sucker for bad-guy-turns-good storylines so this is right up my alley. I love the way Michelle Gomez plays her as being incredibly emotionally manipulative and subservient to the point where you just maybe could believe she has really turned. Can't wait for more of her in the finale.

Boem

Started off very Victory of the Daleks though, with previously evil alien turning benevolent and serving tea to people, but luckily it had enough to differentiate itself.

I get what you're saying, but the Ice Warriors are basically the biggest/most well known example of 'old bad guys who turn out to be good'. They were pretty much evil green spaceguys blasting away in the old Troughton stories, and in the Pertwee stories on Peladon they did a big twist with them having moved past their warrior ways and being a collaborative part of the galactic community. At this point the idea that the Ice Warriors aren't straightforwardly evil, or that at least there are different factions between them disagreeing on specific politics, is always going to be a part of Ice Warrior stories. The episode actually works as a direct prequel to the Peladon stories, given the Alpha Centauri ending.

The tea thing did instantly remind me of Victory of the Daleks though. I think that might have been an intentional callback. This might be his last episode after all.

I liked that one for what it was: a fairly straightforward Doctor Who episode.

But I loved that panning shot of Missy's face behind the time rotor.

rRFwQLB.gif

Second only to my favourite Missy gif

Ae13fw0.gif

Ok who is this alpha centauri person ....

aaah THIS is why i didnt remember

It's slightly confusing but it's not actually a person, but a name given to someone from Alpha Centauri. In Curse of Peladon and Monster of Peladon, the delegate/ambassador from Alpha Centauri was for some reason known as Alpha Centauri (another delegate from Arcturus was also known by their home star but The Doctor and Ice Warriors weren't for whatever reasons.

The name stuck, so while we saw someone from Alpha Centuari in this episode, it wasn't necessarily THE Alpha Centauri, our favourite hermaphrodite hexapod from The Pertwee era.

LordRaptor

The name stuck, so while we saw someone from Alpha Centuari in this episode, it wasn't necessarily THE Alpha Centauri, our favourite hermaphrodite hexapod from The Pertwee era.

I'm pretty sure its supposed to be THE AC given they went to the lengths of bringing back the original actor (and this episode works pretty much perfectly as a direct prequel)

tomtom94

James Strong said:
For me, when it goes towards story­lines that are a little bit more for the fans, I think you can lose that general appeal. I think Chris is going to offer a slightly different take on what the show should be.

It's possibly a bad way of phrasing it but I assume what he means is ditching some of the for lack of a better term fan wank that Moffat throws in and probably focusing a bit more on back to basics.

I think Chris, essentially, writes emotional thrillers, and that’s perfect for that show.

The "emotional thrillers" were always the best of Torchwood, in my view, so we'll see what happens with Who.

sturmdogg

So supposedly someone under the Doctor's protection will die, and he will make the rashest decision of his life.

Calling it, John Simm will be the new Doctor. Either that, or he'll be a ginger.

Platy

It's possibly a bad way of phrasing it but I assume what he means is ditching some of the for lack of a better term fan wank that Moffat throws in and probably focusing a bit more on back to basics.

as someone who kinda wanted to be the in the fan wank crowd but can't because old who is borderline impossible to watch in south america, I am kinda happy with that

Strong's comments really suggest a shift back towards the RTD era tone, perhaps even more Eccleston era (few old monsters, absolute removal of Gallifrey and elements like that) more than anything else. Particularly this:

"It used to be – and I stress this is my personal opinion – at the heart of the schedule, an unmissable family show and, for some reason, it’s slipped a bit from the national consciousness."

I really hope he gives the Doctor some actual in-episode character arcs instead of "He just goes here, does stuff, and we get hints that he might be a little deeper than he seems maybe NEXT TIME ON DOCTOR WHO". I want to see a Doctor who grows. It's such a stark difference looking at RTD-era Who and Moffat-era Who. I don't CARE about the Doctor as a person anymore, no matter how Important the show insists he is. He's more just this... Figure who represents stuff instead of an actual person.

I think they need to knock the Doctor down a few pegs and ground him a bit more. I've said this before but I'd like to see him lose control of the Tardis for a bit, not so much stuck on earth like 3, but more lost in time and space until he fixes the whatever circuit or what not.

I don't know if it's because I'm getting older or if other television shows have gotten way better, but I've found this season pretty mediocre to downright dreadful so far. The story arc for the two-part monk episode was some of the worst television I've seen in awhile and the last minute deus ex machina at the end made me and my GF just burst out in laughter. Bill is pretty much the saving grace of this season, but the show is literally starting to feel like an Austin Powers-esque parody of Doctor Who. They REALLY, REALLY need to get back to the spirit of the Eccelson/Tennant/ Smith years when the show was actually damn good or I don't know if I can stomach watching another season. Maybe a new doctor will help fix it, but they REALLY need better writers.

Top Bottom