• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

Veelk

Banned
So supposedly someone under the Doctor's protection will die, and he will make the rashest decision of his life.

Calling it, John Simm will be the new Doctor. Either that, or he'll be a ginger.

The situation will be dire. So dire that the doctor as he is cannot fix it. "None of my previous lives could have ever handled this. Not even the War Doctor. I need to change into someone who will do anything...who can do anything. The most important person to have ever appeared on this show."

*Regenerates*

"Introducing Jenna Coleman as the 14th Doctor"

8bit

Knows the Score
Has there been any muttering about a The Writer's Tale 2? I'd love to read it.

There was an expanded version of The Writer's Tale, but I don't think this is what you mean. I haven't read anything suggesting that Moffat has been keeping notes or writing copious emails to anyone but you never know.

Sheroking

Rusell T Davies knows who the next Doctor is.

Interesting if he does or if this is just a bluff.
Theres a bit more at the link to which I've spoilered below.

West then asked Davies to "not shake his head if the new Doctor was younger than Capaldi".

And RTD didn't shake his head, so surely that can only mean one thing?

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-who/news/a830511/doctor-who-next-doctor-russell-t-davies-knows-peter-capaldi-successor-identity/

At 59 years old, Peter Capaldi is the oldest actor to ever play the incumbent Doctor.

I would think the next one being younger than that is obvious.

LordRaptor

Doctor Whos at its best when its basically spooky monster of the week sherlock holmes in space, and the situation is resolved by the doctor thinking outside the box and figuring out whats really going on not what looks like is going on.

So more of that please...?

Sheroking

Doctor Whos at its best when its basically spooky monster of the week sherlock holmes in space, and the situation is resolved by the doctor thinking outside the box and figuring out whats really going on not what looks like is going on.

That concept has been it's best in NuWho because Steven Moffat has an extraordinary talent for writing those stories, but something like Who should never be arbitrarily limited.

I definitely do not want to see the show move towards being any more procedural than it is now.

LordRaptor

That concept has been it's best in NuWho because Steven Moffat has an extraordinary talent for writing those stories, but something like Who should never be arbitrarily limited.

I definitely do not want to see the show move towards being any more procedural than it is now.

I dunno, I think RTD often had a better handle on that formula, Moffat tends to be better at character studies, the actual plotline is often subservient to examining the characters involved.

I'd like to see more Countrycide and less Power Of Three

Has there been any muttering about a The Writer's Tale 2? I'd love to read it.
Moffat doesn't really seem to be the type to lay himself bare like that.

It's a shame, because a candid, behind-the-scenes book detailing the development and production of series 6 and 7 is one of my Doctor Who holy grails. I bet there are some juicy stories to come out of that time period in years to come.

Pagusas

Elden Member
As someone who is new to Who, recently binged Series 1 - 7 Part 1 (on Part 2 now) wanted to give me feedback in this thread to see what lines up with general opinion and what doesn't.

So my feelings:

Series 1: Boy that was rough... didnt like much at all about the first few episodes, however my friend said I'd love it if I stick with it, and other shows start off bad and turn great (B5, Star Trek TNG/DS9). I almost couldn't make it past the farting alien episode, never have i wanted to turn something off so bad, but i kept with it. And it paid off, the last few episodes of the season not only made me like the 9th Doctor, but made me start enjoying the show. I think the turning point was, surprisingly, where they bring back the farting alien lady and they tip the episode on its head and make it a very personal sad story.

Series 2: So.. I did not like the introduction of the 10th doctor, I felt his delivery and overall look in the episode was weird (but expected given the context). I was watching thinking "this is the mighty 10th doctor who everyone loves? I'm a bit... disappointed (spoilers, I am now and always will be deeply in love with the 10th doctor). Regardless, the first few episodes didnt sell me on David Tennant, I couldnt tell where he was trying to go with the charter. Though on the plus side, Face of Boe! Love that Boe theme song (and love thinking now that Boe is Jack, makes it feel soooo much more epic). As season 2 went on David grew more and more on me all the way up till the finale, where I felt his emotional range finally showed through and made losing Rose actually work.

The Christmas special with Donna is when things completely changed for me, The 10th doctor became insanely good and I adored his chemistry with Donna. I was sad to see she didnt become the next companion (I had not know any spoilers on the show, so I didnt know she came back in a season!). Special note: My wife rolled her eyes everytime I was watching this "stupid" show. But suddenly I noticed her paying attention and watching the Christmas special with me. After it, she asked if I wouldn't watch new ones unless I was with her because somehow she had started to like the show.

Season 3: So 1. I hated Martha Jones, I still hate Martha Jones (not as much, but still do) I didn't like her as a companion, I didnt like her puppy dog desires for the doctor, but I am glad the writers/show runner used it appropriately and made her basically a "rebound" companion. What surprises me is even though I hated her as a companion, I loved almost all of season 3. Season 3 was basically where the show turned from "its ok, I'm enjoying this" to "This is one of my favorite shows!". "The Family of Blood" and "blink" was an insane one two punch of top quality that absolutely has not been topped on the show yet. Just so damn good. And having watched Torchwood made "Utopia" all the better given Torchwood turned Jack into a semi-likable character (grandson killing and all). The finale with the Jack = Boe reveal made me smile (though the actual episode of the finale was one of the worst in the whole series, the whole "speak the doctors name to make him into a demi-god stuff was just bad. This seems to be a problem with season 1 - 4, great characters, weird ideas that sometimes were just stupid and didnt do well in actual production.

Season 4: DONNA!!! I love her. I loved this season, the 10th and Donna's chemistry was just off the charts. It all came together at the Left Turn episode, which was absolutely wonder. The ending with "bad wolf" is, in my opinion, the absolute best moment of the entire series so far. Just so well done. Also the library episode of this season cemented the 10th as one of my favorite characters of all time. The finale was OK, it was fun seeing everyone together, but again suffered from some insanely silly/stupid ideas. What happen to Donna was tragic, but it was obvious she was either going to die or something when she said "ill travel with that man forever".

Season 4 Specials: So I almost jumped to season 5 by accident because Amazon Prime doesn't put these things in a good order and you can easily miss the David Tennant specials. Regardless, I course corrected the moment I saw the 5th season title say "the 11th hour", and double checked a google watch order list and made sure not to spoil my self (though I obviously knew the 10th doctors time was coming to an end). Overall I LOVED the production change and better quality, seeing the 10th in HD was great, seeing some more creative use of the camera was nice, though the plots were paper thin. Waters of Mars was... interesting. I wouldn't say I liked it, but it made sense. What did not was how the ending connected to the beginning of the finale, the 10th just had some huge emotional trama happen to him and yet a little vacation seems to have fixed it and his meddling with time is never mentioned again. *shrugs* oh well. Regardless the finale was ... ok, well produced but never really felt good to me plot wise. I loved all the characters (common thread of season 1 - 4, great characters, not so great plots at times). I really liked Wilf in this. But yeah the plot was forgettable... accept that ending! "I dont want to go". I cried. My wife cried. we both felt like we lost something. And given how much we both dislike the 11th doctor and show from the 5th season on, we did lose something :(

Season 5: -_- What the fuck. The 11th doctor is an arrogant asshole, overly silly and just annoying. Amy Pond is gorgeous but cant hold a candle to previous characters. The beginning was pretty bad, but at least somewhat interesting. I did not like the more serious tonal shift. By the end of the season I really disliked it. It feels like everything the 10th doctor stood for was flushed out the window. This doctor will pick up guns, this doctor will show boat, make corny stupid speeches and acts like a dumbass most of the time. Every single episode has major pacing issues (usually extended intros, barely any middle at all, and endings that feel overdone). The show seems to have lost a lot of its heart and characters. The finale didn't do anything for me.

The Steampunk Christmas Special: LOVED IT!!!! Absolutely great. Its the only thing giving me hope the 11th doctor can be saved.

Season 6: BLAH! Even worse. Amy really is pissing me off this season. The whole river arch was obvious the moment Amy suggest she's pregnant. The "death of the doctor" was just silly to start a season with and neither my wife nor I were moved an inch by it (as obviously it has no weight what so ever). The whole season just felt like it was from a different show. I didnt like it... but the last few episodes were better. The 11th doctor is far better on his own then without Amy. I loved his stand alone episode where he's the roomate, worked amazingly well.

The Christmas special with the living trees: Horrible episode, worst Christmas special of them all. Why was this even made?

Season 7 Part 1: Woah, what happened! Suddenly the doctor is likable. The whole writing style for his character has changed. He's better acted, better spoken, doesnt seem as intentionally silly anymore and just overall feels like what I thought the 11th doctor should feel like. Love that they had the guts to kick off Amy finally, and great way to do it! Also I ADORE Clara (didnt know we'd see her again, so happy!!!! Great actress and great plot point so far)

Season 7 1/2 Christmas special: I loved it, loved seeing Clara again, loved the surprise ending.

Season 7 Part 2: So far I'm enjoying it. I know the 50th special is coming and have been spoiled by past media that the 10th will come back for a short appearance in the episode, so super excited about that.

So the TLDR version: I enjoyed 9th by the time he was leaving, 10th I absolutely adored and loved after a rough first season, 11th I've hated with a passion until season 7 where he's finally seemed ok, but still I'd take the 9th or 10th over him. I liked Rose, dislike Martha, LOVED Donna, Dislike Amy, so far love Clara.

Soon as i hit season 8 - 10 I'll post most. Judging from what I've been told, I'm going to hate them with a burning passion. But hearing BBC is trying to go back to season 3 & 4 for feel, I hope its only a few seasons of hell before I get real Who again.

Blader

^I'm gonna guess you will hate large parts of S8 and enjoy 9-10.

But then again, a man who loves The Runaway Bride but hates series 5 is not someone I can pretend to understand at all...

Posts like these are confusing to me because there dozens and dozens and dozens of these episodes. They're literally the majority of Doctor Who stories already.

You didn't like Season 5 yet seem to be enjoying Season 7. That's the opposite of me.

I think Season 7 is the worst season of New Who while Season 5 is my favourite.

As someone who is new to Who, recently binged Series 1 - 7 Part 1 (on Part 2 now) wanted to give me feedback in this thread to see what lines up with general opinion and what doesn't.

So my feelings:

Series 1: Boy that was rough... didnt like much at all about the first few episodes, however my friend said I'd love it if I stick with it, and other shows start off bad and turn great (B5, Star Trek TNG/DS9). I almost couldn't make it past the farting alien episode, never have i wanted to turn something off so bad, but i kept with it. And it paid off, the last few episodes of the season not only made me like the 9th Doctor, but made me start enjoying the show. I think the turning point was, surprisingly, where they bring back the farting alien lady and they tip the episode on its head and make it a very personal sad story.

Series 2: So.. I did not like the introduction of the 10th doctor, I felt his delivery and overall look in the episode was weird (but expected given the context). I was watching thinking "this is the mighty 10th doctor who everyone loves? I'm a bit... disappointed (spoilers, I am now and always will be deeply in love with the 10th doctor). Regardless, the first few episodes didnt sell me on David Tennant, I couldnt tell where he was trying to go with the charter. Though on the plus side, Face of Boe! Love that Boe theme song (and love thinking now that Boe is Jack, makes it feel soooo much more epic). As season 2 went on David grew more and more on me all the way up till the finale, where I felt his emotional range finally showed through and made losing Rose actually work.

The Christmas special with Donna is when things completely changed for me, The 10th doctor became insanely good and I adored his chemistry with Donna. I was sad to see she didnt become the next companion (I had not know any spoilers on the show, so I didnt know she came back in a season!). Special note: My wife rolled her eyes everytime I was watching this "stupid" show. But suddenly I noticed her paying attention and watching the Christmas special with me. After it, she asked if I wouldn't watch new ones unless I was with her because somehow she had started to like the show.

Season 3: So 1. I hated Martha Jones, I still hate Martha Jones (not as much, but still do) I didn't like her as a companion, I didnt like her puppy dog desires for the doctor, but I am glad the writers/show runner used it appropriately and made her basically a "rebound" companion. What surprises me is even though I hated her as a companion, I loved almost all of season 3. Season 3 was basically where the show turned from "its ok, I'm enjoying this" to "This is one of my favorite shows!". "The Family of Blood" and "blink" was an insane one two punch of top quality that absolutely has not been topped on the show yet. Just so damn good. And having watched Torchwood made "Utopia" all the better given Torchwood turned Jack into a semi-likable character (grandson killing and all). The finale with the Jack = Boe reveal made me smile (though the actual episode of the finale was one of the worst in the whole series, the whole "speak the doctors name to make him into a demi-god stuff was just bad. This seems to be a problem with season 1 - 4, great characters, weird ideas that sometimes were just stupid and didnt do well in actual production.

Season 4: DONNA!!! I love her. I loved this season, the 10th and Donna's chemistry was just off the charts. It all came together at the Left Turn episode, which was absolutely wonder. The ending with "bad wolf" is, in my opinion, the absolute best moment of the entire series so far. Just so well done. Also the library episode of this season cemented the 10th as one of my favorite characters of all time. The finale was OK, it was fun seeing everyone together, but again suffered from some insanely silly/stupid ideas. What happen to Donna was tragic, but it was obvious she was either going to die or something when she said "ill travel with that man forever".

Season 4 Specials: So I almost jumped to season 5 by accident because Amazon Prime doesn't put these things in a good order and you can easily miss the David Tennant specials. Regardless, I course corrected the moment I saw the 5th season title say "the 11th hour", and double checked a google watch order list and made sure not to spoil my self (though I obviously knew the 10th doctors time was coming to an end). Overall I LOVED the production change and better quality, seeing the 10th in HD was great, seeing some more creative use of the camera was nice, though the plots were paper thin. Waters of Mars was... interesting. I wouldn't say I liked it, but it made sense. What did not was how the ending connected to the beginning of the finale, the 10th just had some huge emotional trama happen to him and yet a little vacation seems to have fixed it and his meddling with time is never mentioned again. *shrugs* oh well. Regardless the finale was ... ok, well produced but never really felt good to me plot wise. I loved all the characters (common thread of season 1 - 4, great characters, not so great plots at times). I really liked Wilf in this. But yeah the plot was forgettable... accept that ending! "I dont want to go". I cried. My wife cried. we both felt like we lost something. And given how much we both dislike the 11th doctor and show from the 5th season on, we did lose something :(

Season 5: -_- What the fuck. The 11th doctor is an arrogant asshole, overly silly and just annoying. Amy Pond is gorgeous but cant hold a candle to previous characters. The beginning was pretty bad, but at least somewhat interesting. I did not like the more serious tonal shift. By the end of the season I really disliked it. It feels like everything the 10th doctor stood for was flushed out the window. This doctor will pick up guns, this doctor will show boat, make corny stupid speeches and acts like a dumbass most of the time. Every single episode has major pacing issues (usually extended intros, barely any middle at all, and endings that feel overdone). The show seems to have lost a lot of its heart and characters. The finale didn't do anything for me.

The Steampunk Christmas Special: LOVED IT!!!! Absolutely great. Its the only thing giving me hope the 11th doctor can be saved.

Season 6: BLAH! Even worse. Amy really is pissing me off this season. The whole river arch was obvious the moment Amy suggest she's pregnant. The "death of the doctor" was just silly to start a season with and neither my wife nor I were moved an inch by it (as obviously it has no weight what so ever). The whole season just felt like it was from a different show. I didnt like it... but the last few episodes were better. The 11th doctor is far better on his own then without Amy. I loved his stand alone episode where he's the roomate, worked amazingly well.

The Christmas special with the living trees: Horrible episode, worst Christmas special of them all. Why was this even made?

Season 7 Part 1: Woah, what happened! Suddenly the doctor is likable. The whole writing style for his character has changed. He's better acted, better spoken, doesnt seem as intentionally silly anymore and just overall feels like what I thought the 11th doctor should feel like. Love that they had the guts to kick off Amy finally, and great way to do it! Also I ADORE Clara (didnt know we'd see her again, so happy!!!! Great actress and great plot point so far)

Season 7 1/2 Christmas special: I loved it, loved seeing Clara again, loved the surprise ending.

Season 7 Part 2: So far I'm enjoying it. I know the 50th special is coming and have been spoiled by past media that the 10th will come back for a short appearance in the episode, so super excited about that.

So the TLDR version: I enjoyed 9th by the time he was leaving, 10th I absolutely adored and loved after a rough first season, 11th I've hated with a passion until season 7 where he's finally seemed ok, but still I'd take the 9th or 10th over him. I liked Rose, dislike Martha, LOVED Donna, Dislike Amy, so far love Clara.

Soon as i hit season 8 - 10 I'll post most. Judging from what I've been told, I'm going to hate them with a burning passion. But hearing BBC is trying to go back to season 3 & 4 for feel, I hope its only a few seasons of hell before I get real Who again.

I don't care what anyone says, Capaldi has been absolutely brilliant in the role. I think there's a little too much hyperbole from fans when they say "it's the worst ever." Tennant had some absolutely awful stories, and I can't think of a Capaldi story besides his first that comes close to the depths the 10th occasionally sank to. Certainly Capaldi's highs have been incredible.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Wait, wait, wait 11 is an arrogant asshole?

I'm sorry, brother, but that's an indefensible opinion. 10 was WAYYYY more arrogant.

The 10th didnt go around telling every single person to shut up every 5 seconds. The 11th acts show boatish all the time, and when he's not, he's acting like a clown. An arrogant asshole clown who thinks he's the greatest thing ever.

You didn't like Season 5 yet seem to be enjoying Season 7. That's the opposite of me.

I think Season 7 is the worst season of New Who while Season 5 is my favourite.

I can respect that, I think had the 10th been in the 11th spot during season 5 I would have enjoyed it more.

I don't care what anyone says, Capaldi has been absolutely brilliant in the role. I think there's a little too much hyperbole from fans when they say "it's the worst ever." Tennant had some absolutely awful stories, and I can't think of a Capaldi story besides his first that comes close to the depths the 10th occasionally sank to. Certainly Capaldi's highs have been incredible.

I havnt even got there yet, and only going off whats been told to me. I'll make my own judgement once I get to it, and hope for the best.

The 10th didnt go around telling every single person to shut up every 5 seconds. The 11th acts show boatish all the time, and when he's not, he's acting like a clown. An arrogant asshole clown who thinks he's the greatest thing ever.

Oh, you're going to love series 8.

Fury451

Banned

What you don't like the power of love conquering evil and restoring the status quo with little stakes every time Moffat writes an episode since he took over?

I grow less fond of Smith's Doctor a little bit more as time goes on. I blame Capaldi for being so awesome.

Same here. It's unfortunate that he had so many clunker episodes, but a testament to Capaldi that he managed to elevate them regardless.

LordRaptor

Posts like these are confusing to me because there dozens and dozens and dozens of these episodes. They're literally the majority of Doctor Who stories already.

Yes.
That's the formula that works best, thats why there are many episodes across many series that adhere to it, and most of the most fondly remembered episodes also adhere to it.

Its like saying Star Trek is at its best when they're off exploring space and come across some shit nobody else has ever come across that puts them in peril, and they have to figure out how to get out of it, and I'd like more episodes of Star Trek like that than ones where the holodeck has gone wrong and they're fannying about in period costumes.

I decideded to rewatch this season on iPlayer in the lead up to the final eps. I still marvel at how brilliant Pearl is. Just one prob.

I visited Bristol last year but no one sounded like they're from London like Bill or up North like Bill's Foster mum so where did Bill get that accent from?

If we have to explain why Capaldi's Doctor looks like the character he played in Fires of Pompeii, then I demand an explanation for this linguistic discrepancy. /jk
semi serious but here's a Bristol accent for those who don't know what the difference is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=731WC6dBMLU

3 eps to go this season and then a long break till the Xmas special and then another long break until Chibnall's first eps.

if you haven't been and you can get to Cardiff, the Doctor Experience there is closing early September. Really worth visiting. Cardiff's nice too.

Davide

Eh personally this is my least favourite type of Doctor Who story. Unless if the monster of the week is used to serve more of a character study, like Girl in the Fireplace or like you said in your other post. Just Sherlock in space is boring to me especially when Who isn't very logical.

Capaldi's evolution has been a joy, yeah he was a jerk off in series 8, which i personally found refreshing after smiths goof ball antics (which i did enjoy, my 2nd favorite nu doctor behind capaldi) but they rightfully toned it down to just the right amount in series 9 and now 10 making capaldi a really kick ass doctor who can be caring when he needs to be and "what the fuck are you doing?" When he has to be. I still get teary at series 7's finale, smiths speech was just beautiful and i hope capaldi gets a similar proper send off. I would also like to see a female doctor, i think now is the right time for it.

Bluth54

Capaldi's regeneration speech is going to be amazing, isn't it?

Smith's regeneration scene/speech was pretty amazing. I have similar high hopes for Capaldi especially since it's going to be Moffat's final scene (unless of course he comes up with some amazing idea for an episode and comes back as a guest writer someday).

LordRaptor

Eh personally this is my least favourite type of Doctor Who story. Unless if the monster of the week is used to serve more of a character study, like Girl in the Fireplace or like you said in your other post. Just Sherlock in space is boring to me especially when Who isn't very logical.

Well, I mean, the very best Doctor Whos are a reflection about what it means to be human even if you're living on a world with robot dinosaur slaves or whatever, but thats true for most sci-fi in general.
My personal favorite NuWho is still probably Midnight

Only 3 (4?) episodes left of Capaldi.

I don't want to go.

tenor.gif

I hadn't realised there'd been Class news but apparently in April Steven Moffat said it hadn't been cancelled. But at the start of this month Patrick Ness said he wouldn't come back to it even if there was a series 2 so seems pretty bleak. He tweeted some stuff that might have been in it too.
Article here.

Have there been any leaks about how the Mondasian Cybermen come into things?

"Complete and total absence of any kind of sunlight..." "Death by Scotland" is now my new favorite line.

mclem

Next week looks hype as fuck. Excited to see how the whole Missy plot gets wrapped up.

If I'm reading it right, I 'love' how the episode seems to kick off.

The Doctor testing Missy by having her replace him in a standard adventure?

Didn't think too much to that episode... I enjoyed the first half of the series but it's really dropped off for me other than the Missy bits at the end of each episode.

mjc

I'm not too bothered by the revamp comments, I haven't really felt attached to DW the last year or two like I used to be. I think it definitely has something to do with me being tired of Moffat's vision for the series. It was good for awhile but I'm over it. (I have yet to watch this season though, I gotta get on that.)

That was just lovely. The monster was a little feeble, but who cares when the rest of it is as touching, elegiac and thoughtful as that?

Next week's looks great too- can't wait for Missy to be let off the leash.

Top Bottom